34 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2019 1:06 PM by u0999 RSS

We're sponsoring the 2019 Citrus Bowl

davidp_ha HomeAway Employee

We're excited to announce that we are the title sponsor of the 2019 VRBO Citrus Bowl! This is a great opportunity to get the VRBO brand in front millions of viewers. This year, the Penn State Nittany Lions and the Kentucky Wildcats are playing. It should be a great game!

Kickoff is 1pm ET on January 1, 2019. Don't forget to tune in to see the VRBO name in lights!

Our team will be sharing updates from the stadium on Twitter and Facebook so make sure you are following us.

https://twitter.com/homeawaypartner

https://www.facebook.com/homeawaypartners

David

HomeAway Community Manager

• Re: We're sponsoring the 2019 Citrus Bowl
          georgygirl1955 Senior Contributor

that is a very interesting sponsorship choice.

I was always under the impression that ( in general ) .....

the Woman ( statisically through research )was the decision maker and searcher for the family vacation home.

And again (statistically) I thought that the target demographics of a Football Bowl game is

a Man.

If my learned advertising knowledge is correct,

this would cause me to question the placement and sponsorship of these ads in a Bowl Game....

UNLESS, .......the true hidden objective is to reach men who are investors and would turn their investment properties in to additional inventory.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Very much like the tv show ...... who is HA really targeting?

The future investor....or the traveller?

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

Well, it is enlightening to know that my guest service fees are paying for a football game.  It is also interesting that it is the VRBO brand that is being touted.  Why?  Is it because the HomeAway brand is diluted or not as trusted?  Or do people still think that VRBO is Vacation Rentals By Owner when it is clearly not?

I hope everyone enjoys the game.  I will not be watching, but I will ask my brother-in-law (A Penn alumnus and a current parent) if he noticed.

DAVID -

I thought we were HomeAway.... you are even our HomeAway Community Manager

When did we become VRBO again?

Are we having an identity crisis or a turnaround of concept?

I used to be VRBO, but a few years ago the HomeAway brand was placed forefront and everything I do online is HA ( much to my chagrin )

I feel like I am spinning with indecision.

greggt Senior Contributor

Gee I can't believe all these negative posts! Is everyone's glass "Half Empty" on this?

I think it is great news! Most everyone complains that Home Away/VRBO never advertises or when they do it is some dumb thing that no one watches. There also have been complaint after complaint about Home Away trying to bury the VRBO name. I bet the folks at Home Away are shaking their heads at this thread thinking that they just can't win!

All I can say, and I don't say it often, Way to Go Home Away!!

u0999 Premier Contributor

any advertising is good (unless of course it involves hairy soap LOL).

I do agree somewhat that choice of venue was a bit strange, but something is better than nothing.

I think it was better when they ran ads on channels like HGTV, DIY etc. because that has a lot of Target audience.

ohst8er Senior Contributor

I think it's kind of old school thinking to think women don't watch football.   I watch, EVERY WEEK and have for over 30 years, as do many of my lady friends.

And to think that ONLY people who live in Pennsylvania or Kentucky care about UK and Penn State is kind of silly. 

UK has 30,000+ students every year, representing as many as 46 states and 49 different countries.  Penn State has about 46,000 students every year, coming from as many as 45 states and 50 countries.   So basically, both schools have fans ALL OVER THE US and the world that will be tuning into this game, men and women of all ages. 

But not me... I'll be saving my football watching snacks for the Rose Bowl, as the #6 Buckeyes take on the #9 Washington Huskies, January 1st, 5pm on ESPN.   GO BUCKS!!!!! 

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

Old school thinking or not......some of us have no interest in football. I think that there are many of us dinosaurs that think tying VRBO to a sporting event eliminates many And only benefits a few.

I Will concede that something is better than nothing, but I think commercials rather than sponsorship is a far better way to reach a larger audience.

And finally, this is NOT an attack on Dave or anyone else, but rather concerns about eliminated some of the viewing public from seeing this support because of the lack of interest in sporting events.

Signed old school thinking dinosaur

Last year's Citrus Bowl had a viewership of about 6.4 million people.  The teams were LSU and Louisville, the latter being a much more regional university.   I'm sure the viewership will be much higher, considering they have a powerhouse Big 10 team like Penn State playing this year.   

Expedia>HA>VRBO's gonna do what they are gonna do.   I would have a bee in my bonnet if they were sponsoring or advertising in something controversial, but this ain't it.   The only people they are "eliminating" by this are those who choose not to watch it.  Like I said, my time will be spent watching the Buckeyes beat the Huskies. 

To those of you who have VR's in Orlando, I hope you get some good bookings off of this! 

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

I Completely understand they get to choose how to spend their money, I am just wondering how many of those viewers will be taking the time to watch the commercials instead of taking a break to grab food, drink, or a bathroom break.

Also Wonder how many of those 6.4million viewers would actually book a VR?? Hopefully you are right and it increases ALL of our bookings, but I am with U999 ....except you couldn’t even pay me to watch football. My husband loves it...I usually read when the games are on, or find something more interesting (for me) to do. LOL!!

I feel the same way about Progressive and GEICO... I've seen 5,000 commercials (am I exaggerating?  maybe, but not by much), but I've yet to so much as CALL them to change insurance.  And frankly, I avoid commercials as much as possible.  Still, they must work for something, because there sure are alot of companies willing to spend their $$ on them.   As far as how many of those 6.4 million would book a VR?  I have no earthly idea.  I found about VRBO by word of mouth and the only ads  I've ever seen for VRBO have been on FB, or those pesky targeted ads on the side of every website I seem to click on. 

If VRBO wants to target people like ME, they should advertise at swim meets.  On any given weekend there are THOUSANDS upon thousands of parents with nothing to do but sit around on their butts waiting for their kids to swim, and wishing they were ANYWHERE else right now! 

The reason you see 5000 commercials is because advertising is

Chinese Water Torture

and the reality is -

one bowl sponsorship has little value without the repetitive impact.

And

the demographics of the viewership are incredibly influential in decision making as to where to put $$$$.

So if you hit the wrong audience, and dont get the message into the subconsious, then you have wasted money.

The best example I can give ( right now off the top of my head ) is

Viking River Cruise

The sponsorship of Masterpiece Theatre propelled them into the Stratosphere.

It was there target market = age  and sex and income, very narrowly defined.

And ...repeated weekly several times.

Then, to top it off, great Luck.....Downton Abbey became a household word...

and took Viking along with them to financial success.

The Citrus Bowl lacks every marker.......except to bolster the egos of those invested in  #1 market , or those thinking of investing.

Despite all the interesting input, I stand by my analysis, and would love to see data and demographics of the cost per point and results.

u0999 Premier Contributor

different strokes for different folks. You'd have to PAY me to watch football.

ambidextrous Active Contributor

David -- great news. Will you have new ad executions to go along with it? (Hope so!)

For the naysayers, viewers of college sports are a great demographic. I pulled this snippet for ya:

• "According to data from Nielsen Sports' Sponsorlink, a national, syndicated tracking study designed to measure consumer attitudes and consumption of different sports and their sponsors, college football fans are 23% more likely to make over $70,000 per year and are 11% more likely to be college graduates than the general population. They’re also 48% more likely to have traveled and stayed overnight to attend a sporting event. They’re also 30% more likely to own a business and 19% more likely to have investable assets worth more than $150,000. What’s more, these fans are 42% more likely to take action after seeing a sponsorship."

The full report from Neilsen.. Spenders in the Grass: The Reach of College Football is Formidable and its Viewers Have Buying Power

College sports are different from pro sports -- and Penn State has a big alumni base, so there will be a lot of viewers. This would be good news.

thank your for the interesting, thoughtful, and thorough feedback by Neilson.

• "According to data from Nielsen Sports' Sponsorlink, a national, syndicated tracking study designed to measure consumer attitudes and consumption of different sports and their sponsors, college football fans are 23% more likely to make over $70,000 per year and are 11% more likely to be college graduates than the general population. They’re also 48% more likely to have traveled and stayed overnight to attend a sporting event. They’re also 30% more likely to own a business and 19% more likely to have investable assets worth more than $150,000. What’s more, these fans are 42% more likely to take action after seeing a sponsorship."

My question would still be -

how does this information from Nielsen match up to the ( likely female ) guest who actually books an STR ( for a multi night  ) stay ? 

I dont know that the above paragraph is indicative of my guest profile or that the message will drip in. ( I dont know that it is not either ). 

treeguy Contributor

Are you saying that all your bookings are initiated by women, or at least the overwhelming majority?

My experience over the last 9 years as been somewhat different.  Close to half of my bookings were originated by men and better than 70% were paid for using a man's credit card. 

Perhaps that metric has a lot to do with my proximity to a Big 10 school with a thriving sports program, hard to say; however, it does indicate to me that the men in a household have a lot to say about where the vacation or excursion dollars are spent.

I applaud HA for sampling the waters with the Citrus Bowl sponsorship.

hill5185 CommunityAmbassador

Taking center stage as a College Bowl Sponsor is a step in the right direction. Aside from personal likes and dislikes for sporting events we can all focus on the "BRANDING" effort. VRBO has a high "brand" recognition rating with travelers and it's a step in a positive direction to put the "brand" on center stage.

I've noticed HomeAway Partner Social Media posts and even shared and retweeted the posts. A couple of our guests have tagged friends and commented this is how we found the beach cottage. So for me it's a (Faberge Organics Shampoo) moment. Anyone remember the 1980's Heather Loclear commercial going viral before "viral" was a thing? They'll tell two friends ....

https://www.retroist.com/2015/12/14/and-they-told-two-friends-how-faberge-organics-shampoo-explained-virality/

Rather than taking a hard core stance about HA/VRBO's choice of marketing channels I prefer to join in help the brand and do my part as a successful owner and try and find a way to gain from the experience.

Besides I married in to a SEC family - generations of college sporting fans. Misconceptions of demographics have shifted. There are Dr's , Lawyers, Scientists, Business Owners, Engineers, Athletes, Nurses, Accountants and soon to be Military Officer. The enthusiasm is not gender specific and the age ranges young to elder.  Everyone tunes in, travels to and from games and enjoys the camaraderie the season brings.  Perfect demographic for our STR business.

It's Christmas season which means bowl time!

ROLL- TIDE !!! (oh wait wrong game)

ps (our AL Dr daughter is married to a KY PHD) you can bet they will be watching as well as The athlete daughter who's good friend is a Lion -

dinamight Contributor

The more advertising, the better! Thanks.

feibus CommunityAmbassador

Saw a bunch of VRBO (with the green banner, not HA) ads during the Peach Bowl (Go Gators!).

The more pump-priming they do going into prime booking season, the better for us.

I got an IB from a guy from Northern Kentucky (Cincinnati suburb) about an hour after the Citrus Bowl ended, so I am curious if he saw the ad. 

The bowl games gave us University of Cincinnati at the Military Bowl, NKU at the Citrus Bowl, and Ohio State at the Rose Bowl, so he could have been rooting for any one of those games.  I'll ask him once we chat.