8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2018 7:41 PM by twomoreyears RSS

Homeaway vs airbnb for large house in a resort area?

edapostle Contributor

Homeaway vs AIRBNB?

• Re: Homeaway vs airbnb for large house in a resort area?
          u0999 Premier Contributor

It is not one vs another. neither will fill your calendar by itself.  it s ALL OF THE ABOVE plus local tourism site, Facebook page, Facebook groups,  regional vacation rentals site, your own website and also possibly Tripadvisor.

feibus CommunityAmbassador

If you go with the PPB model for both, it's basically "free" to list with both (no upfront money and you're paying a percentage for their marketing costs)... so why would you not do both to figure out which channel works best for you?

In my resort, ABB is pretty worthless and VRBO dominates.  But that's my resort and I've seen other areas in the same area where ABB gets most of the business.  Until you run tests, you'll never be sure which marketing channel will work best for you.

But... make sure you have your own web site and spend some marketing dollars on that as well, because that's where repeat business will come without spending on commissions.

edapostle Contributor

Yea, thats what I have heard too. Air bnb for local small rentals, homeaway for big resort rentals. Im just tired of the anti-homeowner vibe i get from homeaway all the time. Their policies dont help owners at all. It used to be so much better before they were taken over several years ago.

green_mango Active Contributor

I use both - airbnb has an even stronger anti-owner vibe unfortunately - but I get bookings from both, which turn into direct bookings if they return.  I totally get your frustration posted on the other thread - if you want to do well on either site you have to learn all the ins & outs - it's tough because many of the ways to stay on top aren't owner or guest friendly, but benefit metrics (for example, accepting a booking that you won't honor because you don't want the ding of a decline - and then requesting the guest to cancel on their end so you're not dinged - it's not ideal, but it is what it is).

feibus CommunityAmbassador

At least VRBO lets me have a "no refunds" policy... 

This past September, I got 2 ABB rentals (first ones in two years)... because they were "dead season" rentals, the cost was low and I really didn't care if they cancelled, so I was ok waiving my "no refunds" policy.  But the rest of the year, I don't open up so much to ABB, just because I don't like their cancellation policies or their way of paying after the guest checks in.

But regardless, I just look at ABB as being advertising that's not costing me money unless I get a booking that cancels late.  But that's my market, not necessarily true of another market even up the road, so it's better to test and see what happens.

twomoreyears Senior Contributor

I'm not sure you'd call us in a "resort" area - we're in the Caribbean in a rather rural area just a mile from a couple of upscale hotels.  Three-bedroom house that sleeps six in four queen beds.

We list on both (as well as a few others), and here is what I noticed:  On the average, VRBO guests book earlier, stay longer, and seem to be less price -conscious.  For now, VRBO is a better fit for us.  But I highly suspect over time that they will even out - or at least AirBnB will provide more guests like VRBO provides.  We've had several guests inquire over one platform then book through the other within a day or two. 

Edited to add - huh!  "Over time" might be getting here faster than I thought.  Not 20 minutes after I wrote this, an inquiry came through from AirBnB for next May for an 8-night stay at our highest rate (we charge more per person over two and they are at our max occupancy).  They booked within minutes of getting my answers to their questions..... 

sonenalpmammoth Active Contributor

edapostle, I use both Abb and HA/VRBO for my high-end, large homes in a CA ski resort. I'm a SH at ABB and PP at VRBO/HA. Sounds like you are in a ski resort too.

I do get good bookings from ABB and from VRBO. The stereotype is true in my experience, lots of artsy millennials at ABB-- but the ones who stay with me must be well-employed or they wouldn't be able to  afford my rates. I have a strict list of house rules which I reiterate after booking. The great thing about ABB is that they are super supportive of me as an owner. I can't speak for other owners/hosts experience, but if I'm every even slightly questioning a guest, or if I have a double booking or whatever, they will cancel it without effect on my SH status or listing quality. The mutual review system, and the sense that ABB is a community of mutually respectful humans, really improves my experience with guests from ABB. They are willing, even anxious, to be good guests. They give me very helpful feedback that I can use to improve my business.

If VRBO was more supportive of owners and had a truly mutual review system like ABB, it would be the best platform out there. (IMO)