30 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2018 2:28 PM by hmmmm RSS

vacationrentpayment

mschmelzer New Member

As of July, I have had to use VacationRentPayment and am not on the advance payment list. I am told that it is an automatic review and will be informed if I qualify.  Does anyone know of a way to expedite this.  They are holding over $20,000 of my rental fees.  Difficult to run a business without cash flow!

• Re: vacationrentpayment
          ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

I have no idea how you can get your money from VRP.  However, I think that VRP is CRIMINAL in their actions; withholding payments that guests have made to hosts (think of the FLOAT) charging extra fees for "International Surcharge" when domestic cards are used, not providing any access to reports and other necessary financial tools.

Yapstone aka Vacation Rent Payment is a terrible service provider.  I despise them and question HomeAway's reasoning for using them.  There must be some pretty sweet financial dealings going on in the background.

feibus CommunityAmbassador

Used to be not an automatic thing, but that you had to request it.  When did that change?

mschmelzer New Member

We my subscription renewed in July, I had to go to Vacation Rent Payment.  I have been collecting money from clients for 8 years, never a problem.   

margaret CommunityAmbassador

At one time, Yapstone held the first payment until after check in then the payments were released a few days after payment was made. No need to request advanced payments.
                  The only reason I recall for them to hold payment until check in was when there was a credit issue, this was discussed here years ago. I believe when PPB came into play they held PPB payments until after booking but did not hold it for subs.

mschmelzer New Member

These circumstances have already happened.  First check in has passed.  That was paid to me but no other payments are released.  Closed to 20 bookings since then, no money has been distributed to me. 

Is the money being held for future reservations? If the guests have already stayed you should have received payment. If it is for future stays, they are probably not going to release the payments until after check in.
                          My post above explains how it used to be done not how it is done today. My point for the post was to highlight that it is not necessary for Yapstone to hold payment until after check in once the owner has been proven legit. This new system is a way to increase profit, nothing more. Between this nonsense and the bogus international fees, Yapstone haas a pretty good deal going.

mschmelzer New Member

Yes, it's for future reservations.  We book up to a year in advance.  With every weekend booked at $1000 per night I guess we're prime target for for the pretty good deal.  And they charge a processing fee but don't pay interest. 

I think you are stuck with their terms unless they decide to put you on advanced payments. I hope that happens for you soon. All you can do is keep calling and requesting advanced payments in the hopes that they approve you.

hmmmm Senior Contributor

Something does not feel right about that.  Did you escalate this to HomeAway's team?

I truly hope that HomeAway does not continue their business relationship with Yapstone, they are not set up for VR business.

rinaldomoon Senior Contributor

What is said in their terms and conditions? Is there one?

hmmmm Senior Contributor

I wonder if Expedia/HomeaAway can force their hand to release funds.

I am not sure why Yapstone is holding the cards and conditions.  PayPal releases the funds in one day.

There is no need to hold funds if you are a financially solvent and strong company.

How would it benefit Expedia/HomeAway to force Yapstone's hand to release owners funds? HomeAway is presumably getting some financial gain from working with Yapstone. There are many CC processors they could use, they could give owners options, they choose to use Yaptone. Owners have been complaining about Yapstone for a long time. They charge international fee when they are not due, they are not helpful in the case of a chargeback, even the security breach that exposed all of our personal information along with all of the travelers personal information didn't motivate HA to change CC processors.

homeaway_community_manager HomeAway Employee

Hi mschmelzer,

We've escalated this issue with Yapstone on your behalf. We cannot promise a change to advanced payments, but we'll try! Thank you.

Erinn

HomeAway Community Manager

mschmelzer New Member

Hello Erinn.  I appreciate your help in this matter, but why is it that you cannot change my payment options?  The direness of the situation that you have put me in with your assignment a specific payment vendor cannot be understated.  If you tie the hands of your listing partners in this way you are effectively running them out of business.  It may well be that there is always someone to take their place but it is in essence not a good business plan on your part.  This must be resolved in a manner that affords me the opportunity to continue with my rental. Part of that has to include my collection of rental payments in a timely manner.  If Yapstone will not accede to your request and if you insist that I have to accept payments through a vendor of your choosing, than you can assign me to a vendor that is in line with my needs. I have used paypal.com for years.  I have had no issues with them nor have my customers.  What I am dealing with now is unacceptable.  You have "hired" a company who collects my rental payments months in advance (sometimes up to 1 year), pays out after guest check in, and after holding my money for months (also potentially 1 year), charges me a fee. I am not being paid interest either.  Again, I appreciate you efforts Erinn and I think that we can come to an equitable agreement.  Monica Schmelzer    

yosemitevalleyview Contributor

After 12 years on a subscription plan with alternative payments at long last I have to turn on online booking to renew.  I called CS yesterday and was told Advance Payments are automatic after 6 months and there was no way to make that happen any sooner.  I explained that's not an option for cash flow reasons and they said there was nothing to be done but they did give me Yapstone's number.  I'll call today.

Not sure I can renew under these circumstances.

FWIW I was pleasantly surprised with the CS rep's level of knowledge.  Had an answer for every question I had and didn't feel like they were working off a script.

rinaldomoon Senior Contributor

I am in the same situation as you but decided to try online booking with 2 months left on my subscription to see how it goes.

I too was informed that I would have to wait 6 month for Advance Payments. With reluctance but without much choice I signed up.

The situation has turned out for the worse!

When I called CS the next day to make some adjustments on the new set up I have now been told that all owners outside of the US do not get Advanced Payments! We will forever be on payments after guest check-in unless this is changed but there is no time frame of this happening.

CS: "Please feel free to return your customer feedback"

Huh???

CS: "I am sorry one of our reps gave you incorrect information"

Me: "I do get bookings sometimes over a year in advance. So you will be holding those funds for over a year?"

CS: "yes. That is how it works"

Me: "Why?"

CS: "It gives the travelers reassurance that their money is in safe hands"

Me: "Why do US owners and managers get advanced payments and not us in Europe or outside of the US?"

CS: "I cannot answer that question"

Me: "But HomeAway-Expedia is one same company across the world so why operate under different rules?"

CS: "I do not know"

Me: "So US travelers whose money has been released to owners under advanced payments do not have or need reassurance about their money but in Europe they do?"

CS: "We are sorry if you look at it that way but that is the way it is and there is nothing we can do for you"

What is going on?

mschmelzer New Member

It's difficult to tell the truth when what is said makes no sense!  What does "in safe hands" mean?  That the guest can get it back?  I have a no cancellation policy, no money is returned to the guest.  It is all very frustrating.  Call them every day. 

mschmelzer New Member

No one in these months mentioned anything automatic nor time dependent.  I was told that accounts are automatically reviewed.  Whatever that means!  My account has been partially resolved.  I now have advanced payment going forward but not on passed bookings (between July 1 and Dec 2018.  Still leaves me about $20,000 in the hole. 

yosemitevalleyview Contributor

Well, that was interesting.  I was pleasantly surprised at the professionalism and responsiveness of the Yapstone rep and they had answers to all my questions.  The interesting part was the information they gave me was completely different from HA yesterday.  The upgrade to Advance Payments is automatic after 10 successful rentals with 5 star ratings.  He didn't know anything about the 6 months HA mentioned.  He also said I should feel confident because they have more than 10,000 HA properties in their system.  I thought that strange because HA has millions of properties and Yapstone is the exclusive payment partner, I asked how could it be that they have only 10,000 customers?  He said this division has only been working with HA for a year and that HA accepts payments across many, many other platforms.  At that point I got confused and gave up.  I guess I'll just have to sign up and see how it goes.

I did ask his suggestions for avoiding chargebacks.  He says if you get a photo of an ID and the card along with screenshots of the VRBO transaction you will almost always win.  I asked why I hear about so many problems and he said the number one issue is people who receive an email with the chargeback notice and either don't send complete documentation or never respond.  I have no idea if that's true or not but I will keep it in mind.

hmmmm Senior Contributor

None of that made any sense to me.  Not that you were not clear, you were very clear.

I suspect the CS on Yapstone's end, is confused.

They were a rental property, AKA, long term rental, payment app. was my understanding.

I don't think they were set up properly for short term vacation rentals.

Again I support HomeAway to start,  using PayPal, they are far more professional, reliable, straightforward and you get your money the next day.

Payment processing companies holding your rents and funds, is defiantly not the way to go when you own property.  They are merely a payment processing company, and should not be deciding when or if you get paid.  They are also making money on your funds while holding them.  Albeit not a lot, but still they are holding $20,000 of one customer's funds.  That's alot to hold for their use and not distributed to the owners funds.