15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2019 9:46 AM by margaret RSS

Interesting chargeback - opinions please!

dinamight Contributor

My neighbor has a vacation rental on Homeaway and received a booking a few weeks ago - 3 adults for 6 nights.

The name on the booking is (let's say)  "Bill Rogers" and it says his hometown is Boston.

Two days before the start of the booking, a chargeback is issued due to "fraud".

He took a careful look at the booking and the associated phone number is in Florida, but when he called it they claimed to be in Massachusetts and knew nothing of a chargeback.

He wrote to the associated email and the response was linked to a different name, and he also said to know nothing of a chargeback.

I strongly suspect this is fraud. The problem is, the neighbor will now lose the money he would've earned. If someone fraudulently uses a credit card at a restaurant then the restaurant does not have to pay back the money, as far as I know. Why should a VRBO owner? It's not his fault that the credit card company has lax security and doesn't check the identity of the credit card user.

The booking starts tomorrow, the person has now issued a cancellation request. I think they know the jig is up.

• Re: Interesting chargeback - opinions please!
          feibus CommunityAmbassador

Can't explain it, but I can say that the owner doing the cancellation is the wrong answer; better to just basically send a note to the guest with the charge-back info and say that they will not be granted access to the home.  Yes, the owner eats the nights, but better now before the guest arrives than after.

Also, have the owner check with CS to see if a chargeback is reason to get a cancellation waiver.  Seems like it should be a reason, but who knows?

sage Senior Contributor

If someone fraudulently uses a credit card at a restaurant then the restaurant does not have to pay back the money, as far as I know.

Why not? The cardholder is not going to lose the money. The credit card company makes the rules and protects themselves against loss. It is only the merchant who is unprotected in a transaction. The VR owner is the merchant in the described transaction, so if anyone suffers a loss it will be the VR owner.

dinamight Contributor

I wonder what the actual scam was here. Use somebody else's CC and then call up the day before and say oh my mother died, you can keep the money but could you please find it in your heart to send me some of it by wire? I think it went wrong in this case because the CC owner found out.

As expected, nobody turned up at the rental.

almafraijo New Member

Be grateful the guest did not stay. I had a guest that stayed in my vacation rental for 4 days and at check out I go to the home to clean it for the next guest and they stole all my furniture and on top of that a few days later Yapstone sent me an email that they were going to do a chargeback. Unfortunately I lost a total of $3500 and there was nothing I could do. No one backed me up on this. I think VRBO should start collecting a copy of the drivers license because there is a lot of fraud going on. I did get the police involved and there is an ongoing investigation. I hope they track who the thieves were.