4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 9, 2012 4:34 PM by justin.urich RSS

Rental Software for a Mac

Contributor

I have 2 properties that we use as vacation rentals.  One house is owned by myself and my 4 siblings and we just turned that into an LLC (that was a very long and complicated process!)  My siblings and I use the house often and I rent it out when it is not in use.  The other house I own with my husband, it is not in an LLC and we use it ourselves and rent it out a lot. 

I need an easy to use program to keep track of expenses and taxes and I have a Mac. 

Can anyone recommend anything?

Jean

• Re: Rental Software for a Mac

I am interested in that too.  I have a MAC and even tho all the research said quicken on Mac was not a good product, I tried  "I Bank first", and could not adjust because I had used quicken for PC for 15 years.  I Love quicken to track expenses, but it was a headache doing my 2011 taxes this spring, being 2011 info was all done with Quicen for Mac.

swlinphx Premier Contributor

I am a longtime Mac-only user (going on 16 years).  We use "Reservation and Records" spreadsheets to keep track of specifics on each rental, a "Respondents & Renters" database to log all customer info, and then our own contract templates.  We also have our bank account ledger to track all income and expenses (and balance it monthly with our bank's own records).  We use the free AppleWorks for all of them.

I guess it depends what exactly you need the software to do.

I use a Mac for many things, but my laptop is a PC...so I needed software that would work on both.  What I have found is that QuickBooks OnLine was a great solution for me.  It is a monthly fee, but the flexibility (I can work with it when I travel, regardless of what computer I am using, etc.).  I don't use it perfectly (i.e., all of the features), but I use enough of them to do what I need to do.  Their tech support is great, too.

Contributor

I'm going to take a completely different approach, and recommend a completely web-based accounting software to track all expenses , taxes and income - Outright.

I personally use their service, and it is absolutely phenomenal. Although I've never used it for VR, I have used it for my freelance Web Design/Dev & E-Marketing business.

Hope this helps!