34 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2018 1:27 PM by sward6880 RSS

Poll: Booking vs. Reservation

homeaway_community_manager HomeAway Employee

Hello Everyone,

We have some questions we'd like to hear your feedback on. Please take a moment to comment and respond to these questions. Your participation is greatly appreciated!

1. When a traveler is using HomeAway to confirm a stay at your property, which word best describes the action the traveler is taking?
        1. Booking
        2. Reserving
        3. Other (please specify)
      2. A traveler sends you a request to stay at your property. What would you call this?
        1. A reservation request
        2. A booking request
        3. A trip request
        4. Other (please specify)
      3. A traveler makes arrangements to stay at your property. You've confirmed them and they've paid. What would you call this?
        1. A booking
        2. A reservation
        3. A trip
      4. A traveler has confirmed a stay at your property but needs to cancel. What are they canceling?
        1. A booking
        2. A reservation
        3. A trip
      5. Your Ranking Metrics take into account how many travelers have stayed at your property. What would you call these events?
        1. Bookings
        2. Reservations
        3. Trips

Thank you!

Erinn

HomeAway Community Manager

***Any comments that are off topic or are a violation of Community Guidelines will be removed without warning and Discipline Guidelines will be applied accordingly.***

• Re: Poll: Booking vs. Reservation
          ohst8er Senior Contributor

1. A

2. B

3. A

4. A

5. A

This is an important point to note from a hotel standpoint.  If you call a hotel for one room, you've made a "reservation."  If you call a hotel for a substantial portion (or all) of their house count, they call that a group "BOOKING."  When a traveler contacts us to "reserve" our VR, they are asking to book 100% of our house.  That's not a reservation,>>>>>>>>> THAT'S A BOOKING.  <<<<<<

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

Interesting! When I hear the word reserved, for me it means set aside specifically for someone. Like reserved seating at aconference, restaurant, etc. or a plane reservation, etc. But when we talk we also say booked my plane, or booked a table. LOL!!! So, my guests can book on line and then I reserve the home for their visit (how’s that for confusing)

1. B

2. A

3. B

4. B

5. B

However,  I think that booking and reservation are both used for the same thing. IMO

margaret CommunityAmbassador

1.A

2.B

3.B

4.B

5.B

feibus CommunityAmbassador

A reservation they can not show up without penalty; a booking has money on the line.  I make restaurant reservations.  I make a booking when I pay a deposit.

1A

2B (ONLY if money changes hands, otherwise it's just yet another inquiry that ends up going nowhere)

3A

4A (same reasoning)

5A (but the metrics need to take the number of nights instead of number of bookings into account... a single 30-night booking should rank higher than 3 4-night bookings).

book·ing

ˈbo͝okiNG/

noun

an act of reserving accommodations, travel, etc., or of buying a ticket in advance."the hotel does not handle group bookings"

res·er·va·tion

ˌrezərˈvāSH(ə)n/

noun

noun: reservation

the action of reserving something."the reservation of positions for non-Americans"

•  

an arrangement whereby something, especially a seat or room, is booked or reserved for a particular person.plural noun: reservations"do you have a reservation?"

So, if you have reserved seating at a function and there is a little sign that says reserved......it is really a booking because you paid!! (I am just joking around here with you fiebus).

I really do believe that for some of us (me for sure) use those terms without thinking deeply about the real definition as you and other (smarter than me) people have described.

feibus CommunityAmbassador

Until asked, I hadn't thought about the terminology at all!

So there's that.  I think it's not going to matter so much as long as they consistently use whatever term they choose.

feibus hit the nail on the head.  If money has changed hands it's a booking.  If you reserve a room at a hotel, it's a reservation. You can cancel without penalty.  Booking a block of rooms does not afford the same.  There is a contractual obligation.  There is usually an attrition clause, which means that when there's drop off (you book 100 rooms and 50 show), there's penalty, based on how many days/weeks/months until the group is due to arrive.    Deposits are required, and if the entire group cancels, monies are held.  Sometimes, if it's a very large group, lawsuits are filed.  They take this stuff very seriously.  That's why I think we need to make the distinction.  A reservation sounds too laissez faire, like meh... no biggie if I back out.  It IS a biggie to the owner, because they've held 100% of their house, which is the same thing as blocking 100 rooms in a 100 room hotel. 

You both have knowledge that I don’t have in that area.....I just found it funny that your definitions of both words used the other word to described the definition.

As Feibus said......(at least for me) I don’t really care what they decide to call it.

Question.....so if they have NOT paid their entire amount towards the home, is it a reservation Or a booking. AND if they have paid the full amount but someone has a very relaxed cancellation policy is it a reservation or a booking up until they can’t cancel anymore???

(Really asking, not being a smarty pants here)

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

1. A

2. B

3. A

4. A

5. A

rinaldomoon Senior Contributor

These days and myself included, the 2 words are used interchangeably.

But from pure semantics or traditional meaning, "booking" generally means money has been committed while "reserved" not necessarily... such as one can "reserve" a table at a restaurant without paying anything and the establishment may give away that table if you make a no-show. Also, you may throw your coat over a chair and claim it is "reserved" but can't really say it's "booked"

As I recognize the vague differences these days, I always add the word "guarantee"

"If you would like to guarantee your reservation" or "in order to guarantee the booking... we require a deposit etc.

Once money is "received", the booking or reservation becomes "guaranteed"

But since HomeAway is not part of the "money transaction (other than the service fee)

1. B

2. A

3. D but if I have received funds and not only HA, A

4. D but if i have received funds and not only HA, A

5. A (if come through HA) but D (blocked) if other source (e.g. direct, other sources) 

What if (as in my question) the full payment has been made, but the can still cancel without penalty?? Is it a reservation or a booking? I honestly didn’t think there was a difference between the two words because if someone can book/reserve (lol) in January, but can cancel all the way until 30 days (or whatever) prior say in July.........what is it?

I Call them all reservations myself.

For me it is simple. This has worked for me for over 10 years.

I require a bank transfers (the norm in Europe with no costs). I "highly" recommend guests take out holiday insurance to cover any possibilities (there are many which are not expensive at about 2-5% of costs).

On booking request:

• 30% non-refundable payment to "guarantee" a booking
                                          • Balance no later than 8 weeks before arrival (non refundable)
                                          • If within 8 weeks, total payment required
                                          • If within "days" cash on arrival (I live on site)

Guests (from outside euro zone) can pay by credit card using MoneyTransfer which is a service with a small fee but cheaper than banking fees.

Oh, I wasn’t questioning your business model.....I was just wondering if something is considered a reservation until it can’t be cancelled  and then it is a booking  or is it a booking after some form of payment is made?? Sorry I wasn’t clear in my question.

Edited for clarification

It really doesn't matter what it is called... I "guarantee" a "booking" or "reservation" when I receive funds according to my terms and conditions.

The 2 terms are "interchanged" these days. It is just important to use what ever words with reference to your conditions,

• The "reservation" is guaranteed if...
                                                  • Your booking is now "guaranteed"

I think the qualifier (with matching words in your terms and conditions) rids any ambiguity.

P.S. Forgot to say that I always say in my replies, "if you would like us to 'hold' your dates, we will let you know how to guarantee your reservation (or booking if they ask to 'book')"

In the grand scheme of things, no, it doesn't matter what it's "called", but I will continue to make the distinction between booking and reservation and how hotels handle these things for a very important reason...

We (owners) ARE NOT hotels.  We ARE NOT a collective of "rooms at the inn."  VRBO/HA needs to stop treating us as such.  Now I GET that the business model is such that travelers need to be able to view lots of different options, but when it comes down to booking, my place isn't interchangeable with your place the way a room on the 5th floor near the elevator is interchangeable with a room on the 1st floor.  If a traveler books MY place (or yours) they are essentially holding the entire inventory at our "Inn."  The distinction needs to be made, and we need to be able to manage as such.  So I will continue to dig my heels in about this ..and no, that comment is not directed at you!

anja Senior Contributor

1. Reservation

2. Reservation

3. Reservation

4. Reservation

5. Reservation

hill5185 CommunityAmbassador

Reservation: no difference in sending a reservation request or paying to reserve the stay- it's still a reservation being discussed.

Consistency is the key for me and I definitely prefer the term "reservation".

edited:

The bigger question: How traveler's perceive the transaction. It's irrelevant how I would like to perceive the transaction (or what I call the process). Eliminating traveler apprehension and creating a smooth seamless process from start to finish (when the guests departs) is critical to  long term success for individuals and the industry.

A traveler is "reserving" my property when they complete the reservation process (substitute booking) there is  no difference.

homeaway_community_manager have the terms been consumer tested in the "lab"? Any results you could share.

homeaway_community_manager HomeAway Employee

Hi hill5185,

Great question! While neither of the terms have been specifically tested in comparison with each other, no user in testing has ever been unclear as to the meaning of either word. Our goal is more to determine preference for one or the other so that we can pick one and be consistent. Lab testing is always going to include the terms in the bigger context of a product interface, so we’d not be able to get the same level of concentrated attention to the terms by themselves. What we're trying to discern here is owner's preference. Thanks!

Erinn

HomeAway Community Manager

green_mango Active Contributor
                                                    • When a traveler is using HomeAway to confirm a stay at your property, which word best describes the action the traveler is taking?          

B   Reserving

• A traveler sends you a request to stay at your property. What would you call this?
                                                      1. A reservation request

• A traveler makes arrangements to stay at your property. You've confirmed them and they've paid. What would you call this?
                                                      1. A reservation
                                                    • A traveler has confirmed a stay at your property but needs to cancel. What are they canceling?
                                                      1. A reservation
                                                    • Your Ranking Metrics take into account how many travelers have stayed at your property. What would you call these events?
                                                      1. Completed Reservations
                                                      scowol Active Contributor

1. When a traveler is using HomeAway to confirm a stay at your property, which word best describes the action the traveler is taking?

Other (please specify) -  24-hour preapproval: Booking Request    IB: Booking

2.  A traveler sends you a request to stay at your property. What would you call this?
                                                                 Other (please specify -  Reservation Request.

3.  A traveler makes arrangements to stay at your property. You've confirmed them and they've paid. What would you call this?
                                                              Other (please specify)   Reserved - Payment(s) Pending   and   Reserved - Paid in Full

4. A traveler has confirmed a stay at your property but needs to cancel. What are they canceling?
                                                              A reservation

5.  Your Ranking Metrics take into account how many travelers have stayed at your property. What would you call these events?
                                                              Other (please specify) - Completed Stays

In reading through the responses, HA is going to get varied answers on this.  The following is what I think would be clear without needing to refer to a glossary:

• Inquiry / Information Request
                                                      • Declined
                                                      • Quoted
                                                      • Pre-Approved - Payment Pending
                                                      • Pre-Approved - Expired
                                                      • Reserved - Payment(s) Pending
                                                      • Reserved - Paid in Full
                                                      • Reserved - Not Billed
                                                      • Blocked
                                                      • Cancelled - Owner Initiated
                                                      • Cancelled - Traveler Initiated

susaninrehoboth Premier Contributor

1. C Follow Up.

2. A

3. A

4 D Booking cancellation

5.D Question not clear.  # of travelers, IMO, is how many people but I don't think that's what is meant... Could mean # of bookings. Likely only HA bookings, which for most of us is not total of  stays or people.

If a rental has a three month minimum stay, annually at most would have 4 bookings, would they rank below a similar property that has 3 night minimum and rents 120 different times. Would a 6 bedroom house that sleeps 14 people rank above a studio that sleeps 2?

sunnycs CommunityAmbassador
                                                            1. Booking
                                                          2. A traveler sends you a request to stay at your property. What would you call this?
                                                            1. A reservation request
                                                          3. A traveler makes arrangements to stay at your property. You've confirmed them and they've paid. What would you call this?
                                                            1. A booking
                                                            1. A booking
                                                          5. Your Ranking Metrics take into account how many travelers have stayed at your property. What would you call these events?

D.  Post-stay bookings

harborfields Active Contributor

B. Reserving or D. Confirming a Reservation

B. A reservation request

B. A reservation or D. A confirmed reservation

B. A reservation

D. Stays  -- after the fact, they are not reservations any more -- the are only reservations prior to their arrival.

twomoreyears Senior Contributor
                                                              1. When a traveler is using HomeAway to confirm a stay at your property, which word best describes the action the traveler is taking?  "A" Booking
                                                              2. A traveler sends you a request to stay at your property. What would you call this? "A" Reservation Request
                                                              3. A traveler makes arrangements to stay at your property. You've confirmed them and they've paid. What would you call this? "D" A Confirmed Booking
                                                              4. A traveler has confirmed a stay at your property but needs to cancel. What are they canceling? "D" A Confirmed Booking
                                                              5. Your Ranking Metrics take into account how many travelers have stayed at your property. What would you call these events? "D" Stays
                                                                timthek Active Contributor

I think the terms are "almost" interchangeable, but I consider there to be a slight difference. I think that "booking" is the act of making the reservation. As in "I just booked our reservation in Cancun." I don't really think of "a booking" as a noun. You can book a reservation or you can make a reservation. But to me you don't "have a booking".  That said, I think using either is fine because they are so closely tied that everyone will understand the meaning.

So, for me the "best" answers are:

When a traveler is using HomeAway to confirm a stay at your property, which word best describes the action the traveler is taking?

A. Booking

A traveler sends you a request to stay at your property. What would you call this?

A. A reservation request

A traveler makes arrangements to stay at your property. You've confirmed them and they've paid. What would you call this?

B. A reservation

A traveler has confirmed a stay at your property but needs to cancel. What are they canceling?

B. A reservation

Your Ranking Metrics take into account how many travelers have stayed at your property. What would you call these events?

B. Reservations

It occurs to me that I can’t actually ANSWER  this question until I ask a question.

Is VRBO a Reservation platform, or a booking platform?

sward6880 Contributor

1. A

2. B

3. B

4. B

5. B

Am thinking consistency  - so based on "reservation" throughout