28 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2018 9:31 AM by harrytammie RSS

Best Smart Lock?

capemayrentals Contributor

What is the best smart lock on the market today for rental properties?

I need a lock that can be opened and closed remotely

Codes can be added removed remotely

Times can be set for individual access.

Excellent battery life

What gateway device do you use? VERA, Alexa, Wink?

Thanks!

• Re: Best Smart Lock?
          mike-dfv Senior Contributor

I use Vera, www.GetVera.com, and am quite happy with it, especially when it comes to the door lock. It offers all you have asked and there is no recurring monthly fee.

Thank you for the info. I am leaning towards the Vera

What lock do you use.? I am looking at ..

Schlage Connect BE469NX CAM 619 Touchscreen Deadbolt

with a passage lock for the handle

Contributor

Check out Kwikset "Smartkey" locks.

They are the only locks available where you can change the keys yourself - easily!

https://www.amazon.com/Kwikset-SmartCode-Electronic-SmartThings-featuring/dp/B004F1B24I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502973569&sr=8-1&keywords=kwikset+zwave

Make sure it has the tiny hole next to the key hole; that is how you can change keys (some kwikset locks dont have that feature).

Capture3.JPG

denisea New Member

capemayrentals--We currently have the Kwikset lock above and are not really happy with it.  Although being able to re-key it is a very nifty feature (but we haven't needed to use).  Ours is linked with the Iris system from Lowe's, but it may be usable with other Hub systems also.

The 5 button lock only recognizes key push sequences, not the actual numbers.  2468 is the same as 1357.  You can't delete one (let's say your previous guest) and have the other continue to work (say your housekeeper).  The lock and the Iris software see the sequence differently.  The lock deletes the sequence (regardless of the numbers), and Iris sees it as two different people.  I've had to buzz my housekeeper in a few different times, and actually locked a guest out by accident when deleting a service person.  That was really a bad situation.

We're getting a 10-digit keypad like Schlage for the new property.

ALSO--re: eRentalLock and ResortLock--I understand many people on these boards love it, but we hated it.  The guest is assigned a 10 digit code that I would send them with their welcome info, and then they change it to whatever number they want.  At least half the time, they'd forget that paper at home or couldn't access/find their email.  We are a 3 hour time difference from our rental, so it often meant late night phone calls.  When you assign a code--ie the last 4 digits of their phone, it's easy peasy.  They don't have to struggle reading or entering such a long string of numbers, there's no instructions for changing it to another code.  With this system, another feature was that you had to set it for exact times ie:  4pm check in and 11am check out.  Way too easy for them to lock themselves out at 11:01 as they're making trips to the car.  It required creating another whole 10-digit code.  Or, if they ask for a late checkout, same thing, you had to make a new code.  Existing codes can't be edited.

capemayrentals wrote:

Thank you for the info. I am leaning towards the Vera

What lock do you use.? I am looking at ..

Schlage Connect BE469NX CAM 619 Touchscreen Deadbolt

with a passage lock for the handle

I don't remember which specific lock I have to go with Vera, but it is a Kwikset brand.

beachsidebungalow New Member

How does vera work?  I am currently using the samsung smart things hub.  Is vera in place of that? 

ohst8er Senior Contributor

We have a Schlage lock.  Nexia is the app my husband uses.  For 6 (or 9$) a month he has remote control of our lock (and all the things that you asked for above), our HVAC thermostat, and also the sensors on the sliders to keep guest from air conditioning the island on our dime. 

cathio Contributor

We use Vera Plus home controller with a Yale Real Living lock that's compatible with Z-Wave. It does everything you want, but I have to manually add and delete the guests' door codes. I don't think there is a way to program start and end times for a code. There is also an app for your smart phone, but the app is limited - you can remotely unlock/lock doors, it controls thermostats (if you have those hooked up too), but you can't add/delete or view pin codes from the app. For that, you have to log in from the website. But, I'm sure they'll fix that someday. There's no monthly charge for using the Vera. We've been really happy with ours!

cathio wrote:

We use Vera Plus home controller with a Yale Real Living lock that's compatible with Z-Wave. It does everything you want, but I have to manually add and delete the guests' door codes. I don't think there is a way to program start and end times for a code. ...

You can program start and end times to the door codes with Vera, cathio.

thaxterlane Premier Contributor

Be certain the environment of your locale will be kind to the lock you select.  I have been researching various models and noted some criticism of materials breaking down due to environmental exposure, especially beachside locales.

vrdoctor Senior Contributor

Vera Plus controller with a Schlage, Kwikset or Yale zWave lock.  The vera is $99 to $129 and no monthly or annual fee to use.  You can add and remove codes and even schedule them to be added/removed.

sage Senior Contributor

Resortlock RL4000. From my perspective, having a lock that connects to the internet invites problems.

I need a smart lock to make access changes on demand. I cannot use a static lock setup with pre loaded codes. From my research these locks are very secure and also offer owners real time info on access....when the cleaning person arrived etc....

sage Senior Contributor

With the Resortlock you can generate a code through their website that is immediately usable for any length of time, or is to be usable in the future. Those generated codes are 10 digits long, or 12 digits if for more than 30 days or covering more than one calendar year, but guests may use the long code to create a short 4 or 5 digit code of their choosing. It does not rely on pre-loaded codes for these purposes.

To create or delete a permanant access code does require one to be onsite. Likewise to check when a code was used requires some special hardware and to be at the lock location.

timthek Active Contributor

I agree with Sage. As much as I would like the accessibility of an internet connected lock, it only takes one outage or glitch in the router and things can get screwed up. I understand that the locks don't just stop working when the connection is lost, but nothing can be updated and who knows what problems could occur. I opted for erentallock. They use Schlage locks and an algorithm that allows you to go online and program access times down to the minute. I set my check-in and check-out times for each guest and send my cleaning crew codes for the turnover period. The codes are 10 digits to start but guests can easily set their own codes as short as 3-digits once they get on site. I've had no problems and no complaints thus far. There is a little thing-a-ma-jig that you can buy that you can plug into the lock and download all the access logs if you really wanted to, but I didn't opt for that. As long as my cleaning crew is showing up and my guests get clean accommodations, I'm all good.

scottr Active Contributor

It is true that you can't update a lock with new codes when there is no internet connection, but once programmed, the locks don't need an internet connection to function.  They will work fine through a power outage. 

Contributor

Check out Kwikset "Smartkey" locks.

They are the only locks available where you can change the keys yourself - easily!

twomoreyears Senior Contributor

I'm kind of with sage on this one, too.  We have the ResortLock RL4000, and we have a love-hate relationship with it.  When it works it's great.  But we are in a tropical location near the beach, and struggle with corrosion.  My husband is an electrical engineer, and he's going to gold-plate the battery box to keep it from corroding (he tells me it will only cost about $20, and the lock cost about $400, so it's a small cost relative to buying a new lock).  He bought commercial lithium batteries that won't corrode, so we're hoping it will hold up to the humidity and salt.

tyann Contributor

I've used the Schlage LiNK Camelot deadbolt for 7 or 8 years with the Nexia hub. It also connects with my thermostat and landscape lights, other items if I had them as well.

My newest place I put in the August lock. Pretty slick. Literally 15 minutes to install. Wifi access, scheduled door code access, notifications, all on an app. I plan to write up a blog post about it soon. You do have to purchase the keypad and wifi hub in addition to the lock portion, but there is no monthly fee to use.

Tyann

oceangrover Contributor

I have an additional question.  Do you buy a smart lock for every door in your VR?  I have five (5) first floor doors.  Three (3) lock only from the interior; they have no entry keys.  Only the front and back door are keyed and they use the same key.

Currently, we use a realtor lock box from where the guest can access the entry key.  We provide a second entry key, left on the DR table and encourage our guests to return the lock box key to the lock box, so they can gain entry if they ever get locked out.

This is less than ideal as we can't change the code every week, although we do change it every season and remove the key from the lockbox after labor day.

Sorry if this is TMI, but I'm wondering what options others with multiple entry doors use?  Thanks, in advance, for your help on this.

scottr Active Contributor

We have two smart locks, and a manual lock for the third door.  Then a lock box with a key to all three, for emergencies.  In seven years we have never had to give out the code for the lock box.  Once I installed one of the batteries backwards in the front door.  The guest was able to go through the side door to access the house. The guest then re-oriented the batteries and all was good for the rest of their stay. 

tyann Contributor

denisea after 9 months, my August lock found a new home on my desk. I had multiple lock failures, including having to replace the keypad. The battery also drained very quickly because of the cold in our Missouri winter. I now have Schlage with Nexia on all of my properties.

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

Hi Tyann, as you know my property is also in Ozark (exciting things coming to the area in 2019) and I have had a resortlock for 9 years with very little issues. When I had an issue they sent me a loaner while they fixed mine. The weather has never been an issue and because it is NOT dependent on the internet searching for info the batteries last a full year.

Just some food for thought. They have the BEST CS I have ever experienced!!

harrytammie Contributor

I still have the old school entry lockset and deadbolt. I too searched locksets but never got a warm and fuzzy. Nothing worse than having one fail and have to call a locksmith when guests are standing there, and then because it doesn't work, they have to install something else.

So, I mounted the master lock wi fi lockbox next to the door. Model# 5441D.

I send remotely codes to get key on arrival and a separate one for departure. I also mounted above it the old school manual lock box used by realtors in the past. This has a code in case wi fi lock box craps out, I can still allow entry.

Ive bee using this method since August without snag