17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2017 2:45 PM by homeaway_community_manager RSS

Question for HA staff.......

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

I just read this on a competitors page for reviews.

The added bedroom in the basement without a window was very noisy due to it being right next to the heater/air condition unit. In spite of these concerns we had a great time. Might look for a neater home the next time however.

Does HA encourage owners to correctly define bedrooms. I mean this said there was NO WINDOW that is a huge no no for safety reasons. I am always surprised when an owner would potentially put a guest at risk in an emergency.....By the way....this guest said she was the GRANDMA in the basement. Yikes.

• Re: Question for HA staff.......
          ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

Twobit, much as I would like to think that the homes advertised on HA meet building and occupation codes, are tenantable, and a good value and experience for renters, HA is under no obligation to make a homeowner meet any legal compliance.  HA does not license homes. 

Yes, understood, but I am wondering if they have some sort of information that they provide to new owners now that they are much larger (other than this forum). I remember when I first started the only other owner used Landlord insurance for her coverage. She has since left the VR business, but wouldn't it be great if there was some sort of booklet that answers the basic questions of safety, etc. I mean I know that I had to do tons of research before I even put it out there for guests. That would be such a valuable thing for all new owners of VR's to have and at least be aware of issues/concerns.

scowol Active Contributor

100% agree with ashevillelookout

I don't think we can expect HA to have this overreach.  Common sense would be for an owner to select "Other" bedroom type for a windowless basement room.

bedroom.JPG

thaxterlane Premier Contributor

twobits,

I'm (obviously) not HA staff, but I have to reply . . .

It's not just the lack of a window, just any window won't do.  There are very specific safety codes for bedroom egress from every part of a house, from basement to attic.

I was enjoying an iced coffee when I reached grandma stayed in the basement - I haven't snorted a beverage in some time . . . 

Double YIKES - I can't imagine putting anyone in a former storage area fashioned into a bedroom, but grandma - really?

I know, I know!!! LOL! I am a grandma too, so hopefully she can get around easily, but what if a fire broke out at the stairs?

AND yes, I am aware of the ingress/egress requirements (mortgage lender with underwriting background).

To me it would like putting a baby in that room if there is any physical limitations.

They paid quite a bit to stay at this home night too????

thaxterlane Premier Contributor

Yes, the requirements would certainly be familiar to you working in mortgage lending.

I wouldn't put anyone in a conforming basement room without getting specific and prior approval.  There is something about a basement room, unless it's a walk out with generous light, which would eliminate some of the "basement" about it.

I can just imagine my late mother-in-law's face if I directed her to a windowless room in the basement of a rental home for her family vacation.  I would have been incinerated where I stood by the fire in her eyes . . . .

I'm in agreement with the other posters - I doubt homeaway/vrbo/airbnb/flipkey etc are reviewing whether properties listed conform to safety/building code and regulations.

And - I hope the grandma in your tale receives a better room assignment on her next family vacation.  She might want to vacation with a different family . . . .

OH my goodness......that truly was hilarious! Made my day......maybe grandma can go to the local school and be an adopt a grandma.

I know I needed a break from the gloom and doom that we have all been discussing.....it was really a treat and a good chuckle to read your posts. Thank you!!!!

PS I still think that HA could provide a booklet or something for all their new owners that outlines some of the more important things they need to know prior to that very first guest showing up. (But then that is the world I would love to live in.....

georgygirl1955 Senior Contributor

..... she probably gave them a 5 star review too.

Reviews are totally worthless.

No, actually she didn't and that is why I read it to see If there was something I could glean from it. That wasn't the only thing she said....and this is a fairly new listing.....like in the last 6 months or so.

I don't think reviews are worthless.....I absolutely read reviews for my trips, and my larger purchases (some smaller ones too)

sage Senior Contributor

And VR owners complain about government regulations. This is an example of why local governments may feel a need to inspect every VR as part of a licensing process.

mike-dfv Senior Contributor

Given that state and local governments can all implement different regulations, and change them at any time, it would be quite a job for HomeAway, or anyone, to keep up with them.

That is true Mike, but they could give out basic information. Like be sure to check with your insurance agent as to the correct insurance for a Vacation Rental Be sure that all safety equipment is working such as smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector, and that windows meet current code for evacuation purposes And check to be sure you have addressed all requirements for your area.  Check with your State and Local taxing authority for the proper collection of taxes, etc. They don't have to be specific, but it would be nice to have something that directs people to the information that they will need.

homeaway_community_manager HomeAway Employee

Hi twobitrentals,

Glad you asked this question. No we have no way of monitoring these types of issues. That being said, I love the idea of including things like this on education materials. I'll share this feedback with our Education & Advocacy team. Thank you!

Erinn

HomeAway Community Manager