4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2012 7:50 PM by sodamo RSS

HA, rental regulations and rental bans...

anja Senior Contributor

I'm very late to find out, only today, that Home Away published a press release on December 1, 2011. Maybe others knew...but maybe many did not. It's an important topic that we all need to keep abreast of.  The subject was related to vacation rental regulations and bans in the USA and informs about HA's appointment of Matt Curtis to the position of Director of Government Relations. It will take a lot to motivate States, cities, community residents to support the vacation rental trade...and how a blanket ban is short sighted and detrimental to many communities. There have been a number of posts among owners here about vacation rental bans and threats where they operate..but I don't recall anyone mentioning HA's press release and their initiative to develop strategy with US municipalities to help the industry. 

We need all the help we can get.

I wonder how many owners know about this work?  I also wonder if Matt Curtis is still with HA?  Is there any progress from his work to report?

The press release was a bit 'buried' here. I suppose anyone who reads the "Blog" section would have seen it. I happend to find it "linked" within one of the Glossbrenner blog posts of January 26, 2012 here in the Community Forum. To see Glossbrenner article and the linked HA Press Release, just go to the top of this page and choose "Blog".  I copied only the Press Release here, below, for anyone who is interested.

HEADLINE:

HomeAway Appoints Matt Curtis as Director of Government Relations Former Communications Director for Austin Mayor Joins Company to Focus Efforts on Creating Fair Rental Regulations in Municipalities Across the Country

AUSTIN, Texas, December 1, 2011 — HomeAway, Inc. (NASDAQ: AWAY), the worldwide leader in online vacation rentals, today announced the appointment of Matt Curtis to the position of director of government relations. In this role, Curtis manages all aspects of government relations, with a focus on developing strategy and implementation for cities to fairly regulate and benefit from the vacation rental industry while protecting the interest of property owners and travelers.

Curtis, who served as communications director for Austin Mayor Lee Leffingwell and Mayor Will Wynn, was the political advisor and communication strategists on issues related to transportation, community relations and economic development. In this role, Curtis successfully managed projects including Austin’s downtown convention center hotel, the 2009 bond election and the recruitment of Facebook to Austin. “HomeAway is fortunate to fill this position with someone who has years of experience working with cities and implementing progressive initiatives that benefit communities,” says Brian Sharples, CEO of HomeAway. “Matt’s arrival at HomeAway demonstrates our commitment to establish the vacation rental industry as a mainstream alternative to hotels, our goal of finding a workable and balanced solution with municipalities that is tax compliant and our commitment to protect our customers’ best interest so they may rent what they own and travel as they desire.” Prior to his position as director of communications for Mayor Lee Leffingwell, Curtis served as the assistant director of business and community development for Capital Metro. In this position, Curtis managed the community involvement department, creating campaigns to support the region’s first commuter rail line.

For information contact:

Eileen Buesing

Senior Director of Public Relations HomeAway, Inc.

Office- 512-505-1554

ebuesing@homeaway.com

• Re: HA, rental regulations and rental bans...
          iopbeachhouse Community All-Star

I missed this as well, Anja. Would love to hear some follow up on what Matt has been doing.

doug.coates New Member

The hiring of Matt is an important move forward for HomeAway.  Vacation rental regulation threatens the viability of vacation rentals.  It also threatens the viability of HomeAway.Com.

I write an independent blog about vacation rental regulation issues as well, and I am trying to engage the VR community in discussions about how the VR community can coordinate efforts at the national level to fight bad regulation and support well-conceived and reasonable attempts to regulate VRs.

Go to www.vrregs.com to find out more.

Doug Coates

sodamo Contributor

Surprised here as well, especially what we just went through here in Hawaii and all the community focus.

Perhaps because it was a State issue and not city we didn't get any feedback?

"Curtis manages all aspects of government relations, with a focus on developing strategy and implementation for cities to fairly regulate and benefit from the vacation rental industry while protecting the interest of property owners and travelers."

David