18 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2014 8:53 AM by tonyha RSS

Can anyone help with implementing these ideas??

This a great development having written to customer services and just got knocked back;  so here are my main issues ith what is otherwise a first class service:

In our website entries we provide very detailed information about the proprerties we have available to rent - even the availability of toilet paper.  However Homeaway provides minimum information about potential renters - people who will have full access to our clients valuable properties:

If I have a three bedroom house and the inquiry is for four adults and three children I first have to ask if any of the children are under the age of three - then we can accommodate them - could there be a sub category for infants [specifying under 3 years old]?

I have a couple of houses for rent at USD 14,000.00 a week;  great location and exquisitely furnished.  Having the money doesn't guarantee considerate renters and a 1500.00 returnable deposit helps but not if the house can not be ready for the next visitors and the demand is such that usually renters leave in the morning and the next renters arrive late afternoon.   As on ebay sellers and buyers are rated : can we hsave such a system?  or can you ask more searching questions - is it a nice family group or a bunch of college students who may not look after the property?

I have a database of over 1500 people who I want to send a newsletter to [MailChimp] every three months to encourage more repeat bookings.   All I need is to be able to have my database in Excel - this is a request,please;  cutting aand pasting each clients details is almost impossible.

To those of you out there with similar issues I'd appreciate your support to request these changes

Ian Thomas.  I rent out 18 properties of different types and sizes  in southern Spain on the Costa de la Luz in Cadiz Province.

• Re: Can anyone help with implementing these ideas??

I wholeheartedly support a guest rating system.  They rate us right on our websited.  We should be able to rate them.  I guess tracked by email address or maybe they have to set up a "log in" to rent and it would track them that way?  Brilliant idea!  March on!!!!!

swiss-house Contributor

I think I see three distinct requests for Home Away followup - please correct me if I get this wrong:

1. An additional set of questions about the guest's party composition, including ages of children (optional?)  I'd also like to see an optional field, perhaps with drop downs, for intended use: Reunion, family vacation, wedding reception, etc.  It would also be nice to get the renter's age and get it documented right up front, instead of having to sneak into the question on the phone.

2. A way to keep a shared database (available to all verified, active HomeAway and VRBO homeowners) that lets homeowners rate and keep notes on past renters.  Since HA does not require renters or even potential renters to create any kind of record (and I'm glad they don't!), I'd suggest that HA use some combination of inquiry email address and / or phone numbers as a record key.

3. Some mechanism to download the entries in our individual Reservation Manager histories into an Excel spreadsheet (or at least CSV format).  Ideally it would include  all known contact info, what dates they inquired about, what dates they rented (or at least an indicator as to whether we created a "booked" entry in the calendar forthe person), and whether they have rented multiple times and the dates (perhaps one line item per start date?)  Ideally, there it would be in a format conducive to sorting by renters versus inquiry only, and for those who have rented or inquired multiple times, some way of sumarizing them into one line item per contact.

Secondarily, for owners with multiple properties, a way to consolidate the renter / inquirer info across multiple properties - although this could reasonably be done within Excel even if we have to do a separate download per property.

Have I summarized (and added to) the OP's request appropriately?

jeffbailey Contributor

This would be very useful, but the privacy issues would need to be addressed.  I'm not a lawyer, but I'd imagine this would be very tricky to pull off without guests needing to signup for HomeAway and agreeing to terms of service that lay all this out.  I'd be curious to hear an expert opinion on that.

In addition to seeing guest reviews, when someone sends me an inquiry I'd love to know even more information:

1) Have they sent me inquiries in the past?

2) Have they booked with me in the past?

3) How many other inquiries have they sent to other owners recently and over time?

Jeff Bailey

Creator of Vacation Props, an innovative iPhone/iPad app to manage vacation properties and quickly respond to inquiries

thale Community All-Star

On Homeaway.com, we've been working to get travelers to create profiles on our site that tell you a lot more than just an inquiry with dates, number of guests and a terse "price and availability?"

See examples of traveler profiles here

or here

We're starting to put the links to these profiles in the inquiries, so you can quickly click through to learn more. Of course, it's early days still and we don't have this on VRBO at the moment, but we're trying to make it easier for you to vet travelers.

These profiles show some information about the traveler - whether they've reviewed properties before, whether or not they own vacation rentals, and some information that they have submitted.

I'd be interested in know what the community wants to see on these profiles.

tsvr Contributor

not sure what this is all about...clicked link and just saw a review and

some listings. I didn't see anything that I would consider a profile.

Thanks, Lin

Lin (313) 387-0690

Sue (248) 755-1618

thale Community All-Star

Does the review someone wrote tell you anything about that person?

Does the knowledge that someone is a vacation rental owner increase your trust in that person?

This information comes from our systems - and some users add their profile data (or link to facebook) - what info would you like to see?

Hi there

Many thanks for your email.

The purpose is to learn more about the people making the booking:

type of group – family or friends

The review would have been submitted by the previous owners where these people had stayed which would then give the potential owner a better insight into the suitability or otherwise of the possible renters.   These reviews and scorings are also done by Ebay to protect the buyers and sellers on their auction site.  One can take an informed view on the suitability of tenants:  in high season with tenants booked one after another we can’t afford to have a tenant created calamity.

I would be delighted to help further.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ian Thomas

Tel 01483 531322; mobile 07950635361

twobitrentals Community All-Star

I couldn't view your websites, I am assuming that is because I am on VRBO?

Hi Wendy

don’t know.  I’m with Holiday-Rentals but with listing on european and USA sites.

My references are

Do you think my properties should be listed on VBRO?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ian Thomas

that is much appreciated – it may be easier and more immediate to put some on to the form so that at least travellers who are prepared to answer the questions do so.  I would be happy with just:

name, occupation and age of each person in the group – this is especially useful as for a house only capable of taking six people an inquiry for eight people is still possible if they are showing two in the group as younger than three as they can sleep in baby beds and have high chairs.

Ian Thomas

333ripple New Member

I agree.  I would like to have an easy way to export reservations, with name, phone, email, and address, or reservation requests at a minimum.  Currently it is possible to download Inquiries to a .csv spreadsheet, but not reservation requests.  Not having this feature makes it difficult and time consuming for owners/managers to create a spreadsheet where we can keep notes about past renters.  This is an important tool for owners to promote their property to repeat customers. 

Also agree it would be helpful to have more information about renters but understand the potential pitfalls and privacy issues.

Does Home Away even read Community postings?  Assuming no since they haven't replied; how do we get these requests to HA Management?

Best Regards,

Kathryn Foster

+1 (303) 819-3113