36 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2014 4:27 PM by amyg RSS

Make-up and towels

moltened Contributor

I switched to white towels to help with how quickly color towels begin to look aged and show wear.  Now I see how often women wipe make-up off with wash cloths.  I've tried leaving make-up removal pads out on the counters in the bathrooms as a hint but I continue to have to bleach and pre-treat heavily stained towels, hand towels and wash cloths AND pillow cases...many times having to wash the whole lot two and three times.

Do I just accept this and keep spares of mostly wash cloths or has anyone hung a sign or something else to try to deter this problem?  As I said I've set out packs of wet-type make-up removal wipes and often they go untouched!  Every now and then I get a guest wipe shoes with a washcloth so I've added packs of shoe wipes and they get used but this make-up thing has me stumped.

Also I'd love to tell families with teen girls that their pro-active and acne meds yellows my towels and pillow cases but I'm sure that it would mortify the girl so I keep quiet.

Suggestions please!?!

• Re: Make-up and towels
          sophie Senior Contributor

I have all pristine white towels and washcloths and was experiencing this same problem. I went and purchased dark brown washclothes and put them in a basket in the bathroom and marked them "Makeup Removal". If they stain them, it doesn't show because they are dark brown and you can't see it. It's worked like a dream and they still have the pristine white fluffy ones if they wish!

wimbushmansion Contributor

We do the same thing- I have baskets in the bathrooms with very inexpensive wash clothes that I can bleach or dispose of (though my bath & hand towels are  a much higher quality) and put a label saying "please only use these wash clothes for makeup removal" That worked up to a point, but STILL about every 3 stays at least one bath towel was ruined with makeup, and many white pillow cases from no makeup removal.  I hate to keep money from our damage deposit, but I got to the point that I could not longer just ignore this expense.  So.. I have just printed a note asking guests to please just only the wash clothes for makeup removal.  (Makeup, especially mascara, lip stains & other long wearing makeup will permanently stain, bath & hand towels, as well as pillowcases & sheets.  Unfortunately, permanently stained towels & sheets are not considered wear & tear and the following replacement costs will be deducted from your damage deposit: then I have listed the individual cost. )  I put it in a nice frame and hung in each bathroom.  I hope this will work!  I have decided that, since it is clearly posted- and now included in my FAQ sheets on damage deposit return and deductions, I do plan to charge in future for makeup damage.

snorklin'turtle New Member

Wow, I'm new to this and never thought about makeup damage.  That scares me because I too spent a lot of money buying quality white towels. I'm beginning to think white towels was a mistake after reading all these posts.  I was wondering if anyone would share with you their fact sheet on damage deposits returns and deductions. 

Running scared.

swiss-house Contributor

Women won't use disposable makeup towelettes because many women's skin is very sensitive to different chemicals. While an Oil of Olay pad works fine for my wife, a Neutrogena pad makes her break out.  The exact opposite is true for her sister.  So unless it is a brand that they've already had success with, they won't "experiment" with something new while on vacation.

As for washclothes - we just accumulated 2 new dustrags after out last guests.  And one hand towel too.  I'm not sure if it was mascara or what, but it just won't come out in the wash.

We tried going with dark washclothes, but we found that many of the makeup cleaners that women bring with them have a bleaching effect on dark fabrics, so we had brown washclothes with orange streaks and blobs on them.  We tried different brands of washclothes with the same result.

At least with white ones we can bleach or try stain sprays on them.  80% of the time we get them back to near-new condition.

Our ace in the hole is Kohls.  Their entry level "Crofts and Barrows" towels and washcloths are unexpectedly fluffy, especially after washing.  Guests comment on how nice they are - nicer than they have at home.  But the kicker is that we buy them by the boatload every time Kohls has them on sale (about once a month).  When on sale, the bath towels are $4 each, handtowels $3, and the washclothes are $2 each.  Time it right with a 30% off coupon, and they're almost as cheap as the disposable stuff (maybe more so actually).  So when another towel or washcloth gets so soiled that we can't clean it, we pull one of the spares from the linen closet and replace it - and I end up with another dustcloth for cleaning the bookshelves!

iopbeachhouse Community All-Star

We have white towels also. We put a couple of tan colored washclothes on each sink with a sign asking them to uses these towels for make up removal. So far, it's working great. Our housekeeper loves it.

thesimones New Member

Good idea on a couple of dark washcloths for make-up removal. Had never thought of that and may preclude future damages on the other towels. 

hill5185 Community All-Star

make-up towells.jpg

These have definitely saved our white towels. I bought the wash cloths and had a local company embroider them.

anja Senior Contributor

Hi 'hill'.....I share your good experience. I also have a sweet basket with fluffy "make up" towels and gentle remover ...this has been a winner for me, as well.  The guests will also find the makeup remover (wet) towelettes that are sold by Costco (these are pretty gentle).

P.S. I don't know why, but it seems that our senior guests are using the packaged wet towelettes....and our younger guests don't touch those...but they do use the pretty fluffy 'make up'  towels.  Just one of those 'guest-behaviour' observances I personally glean being a 'hands-on' self-managing Owner.

bgwelborn New Member

That's one of the best ideas I have seen in a long time!

I will be adding this to my standard linen package now.

joan.l Senior Contributor

Is that blue towel extra stain-resistant?  How do you keep THAT from being ruined?

mareblue Contributor

this summer it was a disaster ,we had about 40-50 white sheets and 60 white pillow cases   as well a lot of towels  with yellow sun lotion stains ,

the laundry we use already washed them 3 times without any result.      any idea please???

wimbushmansion Contributor

Hill5185  Great idea... I think I will switch from the cheap Sams bulk white wash cloths to your style and even have them embroidered too!  Thanks for the photo!  This is why I spend time on community

I'm not sure that dark towels are the solution if there are young adults.  Their acne products (both sexes use them) have benzoyl peroxide in them and they bleach the colored towels when they go thru the wash.

It's a no-win situation....white towels stain when removing eye-make up and blush......and colored towels bleach when exposed to benzoyl peroxide.

sapphiresteve Active Contributor

Being male, I really don't know anything about removing cosmetics, but I'm thinking aloud because we have a very high linen destruction rate.

What do women do to remove their cosmetics when they are at home?  Might it possibly work if we asked female guests to bring whatever they use at home to the VR?

Steve

Senior Contributor

Steve,

I would love for some ladies in this forum to chime in on how they remove their makeup while traveling.  I am female but don't wear makeup and I have surveyed as many females in my life to find out if they wipe makeup off on towels.  Everyone has said "NO" except for one woman.  I know this is not true if 95% of my guests are doing this.  This is the one thing that boggles my brain.  I know how some women have to have their makeup or they don't even leave the house.  They would never dream of leaving it at home while on vacation.....so WHY would they change their makeup removal routine while on vacation???

I find the behavior to be so disrespectful.  One of my friends suggested that women don't think about how they are staining towels because they are "on vacation."  I call BS.....I am extra careful of how I treat things when someone has my credit card on file.

I have a basket of cheap rolled wash cloths in each bathroom along with cotton pads.  At one point I started to add to my instructions that bath towels are only to be used to dry yourself off after bathing (pretty sad)....guests choosing to disregard this would be charged for staining towels/linens.  I even have a bag of towels/rags they can use to wipe off muddy shoes, dog paws, spills, etc.  Then the guests began washing my towels/linens for me to try and remove the stains.  Of course they just set the stains in.  I had to unfold every single towel to make sure they didn't put away stained towels.  So then I removed the language from my instructions. 

I haven't given up yet.  One of these days I will find the "perfect" wording.  I want to try the salon towels that are supposedly bleach resistant and stain resistant.  Has anyone tried those yet?

I have to wonder if these women behave the same way when they stay with family/friends.  I know I would have something to say if someone came to my house and wiped makeup all over my towels. 

margaret Senior Contributor

I have been using washcloths in a basket clearly marked they are for make-up removal and have not had my towels stained since. I use a beige color washcloth that can be bleached without fading. They are not expensive, I watch for sales and buy them in bulk when I find a good price. When they occasionally are stained or worn out looking, I toss them and replace them.

As for your question about make-up removal, I wash my face thoroughly before drying it with a towel. I have never had make-up stains on my towels at home. I do use a make-up remover and  a cotton ball to take off mascara before I wash my face. When I am at someones home if I did not have a cotton ball to remove mascara I would use a tissue. I can't understand why so many people stain the towels with their make-up. The acne products are another story, I think the only solution is to have washcloths and towels that can be bleached no matter what color they are to deal with benzoyl peroxide products. Many teens use these products and they are just not going to be careful or even think about it bleaching or staining the towels. When my son used these products he even got bleach marks in his shirts.

snorklin'turtle New Member

I agree!  I think that's totally disrespectful.  I wouldn't dream of wiping my makeup off on a towel, white or otherwise.  I always travel with my own makeup remover. These women that use towels or wash cloths to remove makeup ,and especially those that don't remove their makeup at all before going to bed are........well, fill in your own word here, but you know what I'm thinking.  I guess they think that since they are paying you money, they can do whatever they want. Very aggravating.

My rental of two years has white towels.  I had a couple of issues with make-up and I put out makeup pad removers and that helped.

BUT...then with my second condo, I made the mistake of choosing colored towels.  The second guests at that condo had a 19 year old girl who must have used acne products because now 4 towels are ruined.

The issue is that I think the damage doesn't show til the towels go thru the wash.

I am annoyed at myself for choosing colored towels, and because I hadn't yet put out make up removers at that rental yet.

Now I have a tupperware with cotton balls and pads in each bathroom with a message about using them.  I put a note in my welcome notebook and in the rental agreement about use of Benzoyl Peroxide products and make up and ruining linens.  The message on each container says something like this:  Please use the cotton pads to remove staining products such as make-up and benzoyl peroxide (acne) products.  Please do not use the towels.  Thanks.

At least my putting a heads up on the tupperware containers that those products stain/bleach the towels, and mentioning them in the rental agreement and Welcome book, hopefully the parents will tell/remind their family members to use the cotton pads and cotton balls.

My feelings are this:  No one wants to charge guests for these ruined towels, especially when they were the result of acne products.....so it's best to have the best offense, giving "heads up" about these things.  I'm sure that the teen girl had no idea that rubbing her face on 4 towels over the weekend would ruin them.

I will be changing those towels out for white ones. 

The washcloths I provide for "make up" removal have done extremely well and are bleach resistant so the acne products don't affect them. There is a picture above from a November 8, 2013 post. We have been using the same towels since June 2012. I have two dozen that are rotated with guests. I will add occasionally some of our white cloths clearly have mascara stains- I have found using white vinegar and pre soaking (30 mins) aids in removal of such stains.

Having had a bad experience with a pre packaged make up removal product- I don't provide for guests. Least they have an allergic reaction while visiting. Yikes

I think Distinguished Guest sells pre embroidered wash cloths for make up removal- maybe give them a try and see?

margaret Senior Contributor

I buy cheap washcloths and leave them in a basket with a note on it that they are to be used for makeup removal. I buy the washcloths in bulk and throw them out when they are stained. I used to have make-up remover pads, they were expensive and if they ran out the guests would just use the towels anyway.

Happy you liked the idea- i copied it from a high end hotel we stayed in a couple of years ago I swear- there are no original ideas left. I had them embroidered at a big company and they snuck this little job in. If you have a friend with a machine that embroiders it would be easy enough. Like I said The Distinguished Guest now has them available and if you search the internet there are pre- made suppliers, but the quantity was too high for me. Good luck!

azfun@2010 Contributor

I too have had issues with make-up on the white washcloths.  You can bleach them just so many times before they start falling apart And go in the rag bag. Like some of the post with the make-up remover towelettes,( went unused as well), I purchased colored baby wash cloths.  They are the perfect size. 6"x6" Terry cloth on one side and cotton knit on the other. They wash very well and come clean, much better than a white cloth.   I put them on the counter in a glass jar with chrome lid! and can fit a dozen as they pack really well. Have received positive feedback and the white wash clothes are staying makeup free.

juleskll New Member

Thinking about setting out a container with a lid in each bathroom with the dry disposable makeup removers. Opinions on whether guests will use if not individually wrapped?  I have tried the wet prepackage type and some will use it, but many don't and use the washcloths and towels.

I have tried dying stained white linens to use as the makeup removers, but they are cotton/poly blend and do not hold the dye well and is a long process to get them not to bleed color. Anybody have any luck with dying cotton/poly blend successfully?

Are you referring to the cotton "squares" ? There are companies who supply individual packets of cotton balls, wipes, q-tips. I'm not a fan of anything unwrapped in a public restroom. I do consider the bathroom of a VR a public space.

Leading a horse to water and making him drink is the age old problem. My best advice is to experiment with many options and determine which one has the most  success. Our cottage bath doesn't have any space for containers or jars of anything. The few brightly colored "make up" clothes displayed attractively have really helped. Of course I know they are used for "other than makeup" as I witnessed a guest wiping her dogs paws before entering the cottage. Oh well! it all comes out in the wash and at least she was being conscientious

sccottage Contributor

We have replaced about 3 or 4 hand or bath towels in a year due to bleaching from products containing benzoyl perioxide. I just added a note to the what-is-provided and what-to-bring section of our rental agreement:

+ Please note that facial care products containing benzoyl perioxide will bleach these towels. A charge will be made against Guest’s deposit to replace damaged towels if bleaching occurs.

I don't expect this to be 100% effective, but if it will be worth the small amount of effort if it cuts the number in half.

(Edited to correct poor writing!)

wilmingtonoasis Contributor

I use black walmart face cloths and on the sink mirror have a small sticker asking guests to use them for make up removal, big difference in staining since I did. However every time I have a wedding party someone falls asleep and cleans half off on the sheets and the rest on the towels. My secret is a carpet cleaning product called woolite pet and stain odor remover and oxy. I used it by mistake thinking it was my oxy clean and it has never failed me. The last time it looked like someone had covered themselves in fake tan and rolled in all the towels so I gave it a spray and threw in the wash fully expecting a trip to walmart for replacements and it all came out !. 

azfun@2010 Contributor

The little square clothes that I use are actually "baby wash clothes", made of terry cloth on one side & cotton knit on the other.  They come in a package of 5-6 pastel colors! cost $3.99 to $4.99.  I get them from Kohl's WalMart or Target when on sale.  Some are stripes, poka a dots ect and do not seem to be effected by different face products.  They wash very clean, better than a regular white wash cloth.  I always have housekeeping launder them with the rest of the towels an add Oxy-Clean in every load.  They stay nice and soft. 

amyg Active Contributor

I adore the embroidered make-up washcloths like hill5185 posted in her photo--those are just too cool    But with 4 cabins--7 bathrooms in all--that would be a very costly investment at almost $9 per embroidered washcloth.  I'd have to invest hundreds of dollars in makeup washcloths to have enough for all the cabins.

I already have a nice basket in each bathroom with a vintage-looking metal-frame label holder that says "Makeup Washcloths".  Until now, I've used really inexpensive cloths from Walmart (truth be told, they are cheap cotton dishcloths in "spa" blue or green; 9 for $3.47).  I think it's time to upgrade my presentation so I'm going to search for clearance and close-outs on really nice quality, dark cotton washcloths and then put them in a basket or container with more eye appeal.  I figure if the basket or box that holds the make up cloths is clearly marked, I really don't have to invest in embroidered washcloths.  Though I'd sure love that touch!

Just to clarify I didn't invest $9.00 per cloth. My goodness even for my one bedroom cottage I would find the expense excessive. As I frequently admit there are no "original" ideas. I knocked off towels I saw at a high end hotel.

I purchased two packs of 6 cloths $5.00 each and had a local company embroider them for about $20. The microfiber has held up well- no fade- staining. We've been rotating the same cloths for a couple of seasons so the investment has more than paid for itself.

The embroidery is simple- if you have a local sewing group you might be able to find someone to embroider for less, but $20 for a dozen seemed reasonable to me.

The separate basket of cloths with a nice sign is a great alternative idea.

On a side note: The housekeeper was doing a mid stay touch up and noticed the guest using our white hand towels as foot mats beside the bed. We are at the beach so I do appreciate guests wanting to "de-sand" before getting in bed, but the white hand towels. As we have Mexican Tile through out the cottage I quickly ordered l Dash and Albert cotton rugs for each side of the bed (s). Lesson learned

amyg Active Contributor

I was surprised to find custom embroidered make-up cloths ran about $9 each on Etsy and Amazon.  I did a Google search and local embroidery shops were really pricey.  The cheapest was $5.77 for up to 5,000 stitches in a design (not sure if that would cover "Makeup" on a washcloth as it was their smallest price point).  I figured if I bought nice quality washcloths for about $3 it would still cost me close to $9.00 to do it locally!  I do some sewing but I don't have a machine that will embroider.  You found a great deal for $20.00 to custom embroider 12 washcloths.  Does your local person do mail orders?  We could probably flood her with orders from this thread alone!   

susanatparkcity New Member

thank you for all the conversations and suggestions.  after I received the first reply, my cleaner sent me a text of a towel that was covered (ruined) in make up.  I was livid.  I then remembered that the last guest was my niece and her 25 - 30 YO friends.  So I called and explained the situation to her.  Asked her to talk with her friends and find out why they use towels to remove make up and what  I could do to prevent.  They suggested everything discussed in this forum:  special towels that look different than regular linens with a sign (my make up removal towels that I put out before were too close in color).  A sign that says "use these for make removal or anything else that will stain white linens" (I didn't have a sign in each bath cuz I thought it was tacky).  Provide alternatives (bought tons of sample size cotton pads to go in each drawer at the local CVS for 29cents).   Put a box of kleenex in each bath and make sure it is full before each renter (I like a clean look on the sink so never had those out). 

anyway, I'm trying these for the upcoming ski season.  I'm also buy loads of Oxyclean.  All else fails, then I'll add a "linen replacement" charge to renters. 

thanks for all the ideas!!

Senior Contributor

I am having a difficult time understanding how women go outside of their make up routines at home.  They are sure to bring all their makeup on vacation....why all of a sudden would they not bring their makeup removal routine?  I am glad you had access to ask them.  Everyone I asked denied using towels at home, except for one person.  So, if these young ladies are willing to remove their makeup on white towels at your house....they are saying if they had a sign to use the other towels they actually would do it?  Do you believe them?  BTW- I have kleenex and cotton pads and a basketful of makeup removal washcloths in each bathroom (it is stated in the house notes to use them...the doc isn't long and I point it out in my correspondence)....just as those girls said they would use.  My ladies still reach for the nice white bath sheets...but I'm sure the other stuff has helped a little.

magicfish New Member

As for as traveling myself, I use makeup towelettes both at home and on vacation; for vacation I just put a few in a zip bag and pack them.

As for my rental, I use all white towels, hand towels, face cloths.  As few months ago I started supplying makeup remover "packets" for each stay.

That's pretty much solved my towel/makeup problems; the real problem is face creams and medications - on towels, pillowcases,etc.

I get packets of 30 makeup remover "sheets" at the Dollar Tree stores.  Because I personally check in all guests, I am able to point out the

wipes, as well as the drawer in the laundry room with rags to use for messy cleanups, beach towels, and old towels.

I buy my towels and facecloths, all cotton, at Wal-Mart, and my facecloths in packs at Marshalls, TJMaxx, Ross, and Home Goods - pack of

about 8 or so for <$5.

When guests check out, my towel routine is to lay them all out on the kitchen floor, and I spray any spots and let them sit, then turn them

over and do the same.  Different combos of that, laundry detergent, borax, and dollar store oxy wash usually do the trick.  If not, they move to our house

(or our garage as rags).  And because I purchase inexpensive towels, etc., it's not so terrible when the stains don't come out.  I am a true believer

in backup supplies, too, so when I need new sheets/towels/face cloths/kitchen towels, I go to my owners closet and get them out (I always wash them

when I initially buy them, so they're always ready to go in a pinch).