9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2016 1:20 AM by secrets11 RSS

Have you seen this?

captmarkhd Senior Contributor

So I was looking in my listing detail yesterday and I saw a new line item. "Expanded Distriubtion"

expedia is is now giving you the option to advertise on Expedias partners sites for a pre

set commission amount from 10,15 and 20%. This is not the same advertising that Expedia is doing with the special Vacation Homes Tab found on their home page.

This is additional advertising on the hotel section of their search results in other words your vacation rental would show up next to traditonal hotels.

As of right now the only partners Expedia has is themselves and Kayak and both of them are at a 10% commission. Also the guest cannot book immediatly, you will get a booking request through HA with 24hrs to accept just as if a guest was using the HA system and all bookings do go through the HA system

whats your thoughts?

What is the Expanded Distribution Network? | HomeAway Help

• Re: Have you seen this?
          feibus CommunityAmbassador

If you want it, do it.  If you don't want it, then don't.  Seems like another PPB distribution channel for the casual owner.

Contributor

Please DO NOT feed the monster ... do NOT do it!

margaret CommunityAmbassador

Are you PPB? If so then you are auto enrolled, it doesn't appear that this is an option for subscription listing unless they are an integrated PM.

Pay-Per-Booking listings are auto-enrolled into the Expanded Distribution Network (EDN) for any of our partners with a commission level of 10%. You do not have to complete any additional steps to opt in to the network.

Integrated Property Managers are also eligible to enroll their subscription listings in the Expanded Distribution Network (EDN)

sapphiresteve Senior Contributor

Does this mean that if you are enrolled (commission level of 10%) and you accept a booking,  you first  pay Expedia 10%, then pay HA 8% of the remainder, leaving you with 83%?

margaret CommunityAmbassador

I have a subscription listing so I haven't looked into this at all. The OP post a link with the info I copied and pasted, I wanted to point out this was not for all listings.

captmarkhd Senior Contributor

I Spent 30min speaking with CS yesterday. I have a platinum, global bundle subscription and i have BIN enabled. I am eligible for this additional advertising if I agree to the 10%. The way I look at it is I believe it could be great additonal exposure because it will directly put our  VR'S right next to hotels and since I'm already paying 15% to Flipkey 10% is a deal for Expedia and Kayak. Also you can opt in or out at any time so depending on your seasons you can utilize the expanded advertising or not. I'm coming into our Dead season so I may give it a try

feibus CommunityAmbassador

Seems unlikely, since HA didn't originate the booking or handle it.  I'm guessing you just pay the 10% off the top.

Active Contributor

It's an option on Platinum listings too..

This is a tricky one. I pay Booking.com 15% and am happy to do so. However, I set my prices 15% higher there to cover it. My view is if they bring in bookings at the higher rate then why not take them. This model is saying pay 10% or 15% or whatever, but it comes out of my end. No option to increase the pricing to cover the cost.

This would be much smarter if the system automatically increased the price 15% to cover the fees for these guests and they would probably get 100% buy in from people.

I'm not sure it's worth it when I will probably be near fully booked anyway and besides, I already paid $2,800 for my platinum listings with the bells and whistles. I think that is probably enough..

On the other hand I could always decline the request that come in if I think they would be days likely to book out anyway.. Might be worth looking to see how much extra traffic it brings in..