1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 137 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2016 2:30 PM by bobbie32 Go to original post RSS
      • 45. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?
        mmillen0811 Contributor

I believe there was a website called GuestChekker that allowed homeowners, hotel, and other business owners to secretly rate guests and it got shut down in the States so there is probably some law against it.

• 46. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?
          margaret Senior Contributor

Thale said  "Once one party (owner or traveler) leaves a review, a 14 day clock starts. Neither owner or traveler can see the review until both have submitted"

• 47. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?
            u0999 Premier Contributor

Low rating on house rules (1 star)

rating on house rules (3 star)

• 48. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?

Yes that would be the best part. "Would you have this guest back - Y/N". That , even without comments, would speak volumes.

• 49. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?
                daninpcb Contributor

You are probably right. This was from a few years a go.

GuestChecker questions/comments (Open Forum).

• 50. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?
                  twomoreyears Senior Contributor

Is anyone going to start telling their guests prior to arrival that we can review them?  I'm strongly tempted to (I've asked whether or not HA tells guests this, but no one seems to know), to at least put a little "fear of God" in them.

Maybe this, as the last line in the final email to them prior to arrival: "Oh, by the way, in case HA didn't tell you - there is a new review system where they ask me to rate you as a guest.  I'm looking forward to giving you a perfect score!"

• 51. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?
                    theclean Contributor

I personally think it is weird.  I have never stayed at a hotel or resort that I  have been rated as a guest.  Guests that opt to stay in a VR  have more than likely been staying at hotels and resorts.  This would just be a turn off or make guests feel paranoid and who wants to be paranoid on vacation; kind of defeats the purpose.

A hefty damage deposit keeps most folks honest so I don't think there is a need to make something as wonderful as staying at  a vacation rental feel stressful with the possibility of getting a "poor grade" 

For those that have had the bad apples it comes with the territory and it all goes back to screening.  Hopefully that will still be allowed in the future.

Without out it we may be giving out a lot of bad grades.

• 52. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?
                      jaydee612 Contributor

I'm totally confused about the guest rating.  Where will these reviews show up?  On our listing?  I thought that reviewing a guest would be posted for owners only; but no idea where.

Is this another tool for vrbo to get us to chase our guests away i.e. make our guests angry so they will use hotels?  I can't find owner guest reviews. 

Any help understanding this is appreciated.

• 53. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?
                        theclean Contributor

I don't think they meaning HEX have it all figured out yet.  There are/were quite a few members on this forum that were rallying for guest reviews.

It appears HEX is willing to comply.   Now that they are complying  the forum is questioning the potential fall out.

• 54. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?

I do not think you can always successfully screen out people who would get drunk and decide to hop on top of the hot tub cover?  Or people who would decide to take a sharp knife to smooth cooktop surface of your stove and gouge it?  Unless of course you have screening super powers - i do not. Personally I do not care that "hotel resorts do not rate guests". That is just it-  MY PERSONAL VACATION HOME IS NOT A HOTEL RESORT.  The guests like that can stay at resorts, hotels, whatever else - I would NOT want them in MY vacation home. And imagine that, I do not care about their feelings about being rated - I care about preserving my property and my feelings.  And I know at lot of owners agree - they would want to have indications about the guest that does not follow house rules to the point of being destructive. I do not have 24X7 maid service, room service, receptionists and onsite staff like hotel resorts do who can at least report if they see/hear some out of control guests doing something wrong.  I have to entrust my secluded standalone property to guests and hope that will not do damages to it as I shown above. And I am forewarned about guests's prior behavior, it is a welcome tool for me to screen out undesirable parties. All the examples i had posted above- there WAS damage deposit. Just saying.

• 55. Re: Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?

First, I believe we cannot see guest reviews yet because you will only see one if someone inquires/BIN on your property. And you will only see one then if they have a review, and it is so new only a few guests have reviews.  It will take awhile to build the database.

theclean - I disagree with your statement "the forum is questioning the fallout".  I believe most of the owners knew the fallout, and those that were against it from the beginning are still against it, and those that were for it are still for it. I do believe the majority of us are disappointed that there is no place to put comments to explain what happened.

And VR's are NOT hotels! You say "I have never stayed at a hotel or resort that I  have been rated as a guest", saying it will scare off guests, but then go on to talk about a security deposit.  Well, I've never stayed at hotel where they require a damage security deposit (I'm not talking about the hold on the credit card for incidentals like room service).  So wouldn't that scare off the new guests, too?  Will you stop charging it?

If you don't like the guest reviews, don't participate.  If you think it will scare off your guests, then tell them up front "Don't worry, I won't give you a review".  But guest and host reviews are core to AirBnB, and they seem to be doing just fine competing with hotels.

I personally think the reviews are a good idea, and the guests should know they will be reviewed. I just wish there were a line (even just a pretty short one) to explain ("They smoked" "They badly scratched the cooktop"). 

• 56. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?
                              smoky1 Active Contributor

u0999 I agree with you as you know we both face the exact same concerns.

Let me add one thing about guest reviews. If guests know they will be reviewed at end of stay and that review can be seen by all property owners for future travels just may help keep them honest and careful while at our property.

I really think by me charging a damage deposit also helps. The guest knows that if everything is ok at check out they get some money back.

So a guest review in my opinion is a good thing for us. I also think H/A needs to expand the review and as many posted we need a place for comments

• 57. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?
                                smoky1 Active Contributor

u0999 when we needed to replace our stove my wife wanted a glass top. Appliance store strongly recommended against it for that exact reason.

• 58. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?

I hate glass tops, the PM recommended that and my husband thought they were nicer and more high end looking. They do LOOK nicer, but much harder to clean once something spills on the surface it becomes seared to it and hard like a rock. Next one I am going with stainless model but with conventional coil burners. if they get burned or broken, you just pull out old burner and plug in a new one, costs like $15 and sold in any Lowes or Home Depot. Same goes for drip cups - they are cheap sand sold everywhere. I can do that replacement in 30 seconds.  replacing the glass surface is very expensive (glass itself is at least $200) and has to be done by a repairman since we do not have time for that. 

• 59. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?

Have you considered an induction cooktop?  Expensive up front, but much more energy efficient. And food does not burn on it because the burners don't get red hot. I have one in my house and love, love, love it!  I used to have a gas cooktop - and hated taking it apart to clean. The induction has a glass top, and over time you'll see small " scuff marks" on the burners that get used the most. But without the burnt-on food, no one should need to try to scrape anything off.

1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next