1 2 3 4 Previous Next 128 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2016 12:40 PM by bobbie32 Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?
        u0999 Premier Contributor

well, again, one size does not fit all. My places go $140 - $229 and $190 - $379 a night. So no matter how hard I work on vetting, I do not always get 5* guests.

• 16. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?
          margaret CommunityAmbassador

Airbnb has plenty of homes that rent for rates as high as your and more, just ask Beyonce'.

• 17. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?
            mloueze Contributor

I still have many questions about this new reviewing of guests process. I looked at the "Help" link posted by someone else but it was very short on actual information.

thale

Are owners required to leave a review of the guest?

If not, will owners who do not review guests be punished in search result placement?

Will reviewing or not reviewing guests factor into the mysterious Best Match?

Will the guest reviews be hidden until the owner leaves a review?

I was able to see my guest's review in RM before I reviewed them, is that a glitch or is it supposed to happen that way?

IMO guest ratings will be arbitrary and capricious - how does that help anyone? Even if a guest caused damage I would not leave a negative review, I consider it to be part of the cost of doing business and if necessary I will deal with that guest on an individual basis. Consider the fact that many owners and PMs will feel the same and will never leave a bad review of a guest - for those owners looking forward to this new "feature" how will you feel you can trust a potential guest's reviews?

• 18. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?

I disagree. You are right about the PMs though - PMs would rather be kneecapped than leave a bad review of a renter. renter can destroy YOUR property - no issue for the PM.  they will rent some other unfortunate owner's property to their "valued guest" . After all, let the actual owner pick up the tab for all the repair costs. It costs PM nothing to be nicey-nicey to the guest who caused mess or damage. There is reasonable wear and tear, no issue with that and that is not a reason for negative rating. But sorry, if there is substantial cost/damage caused by renter, the other owners will only benefit from knowing  of such renter.

• 19. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?
                mloueze Contributor

It sounds like we actually agree - I do believe owners would benefit from knowing a particular renter is a potential disaster, but this review system (as well as the AirBnB system) is not at all likely to make that happen. I do not personally believe such a system is possible, if it was then hotels would have done it a long time a go. Even if a traveler has one or multiple negative owner reviews what is going to stop them from registering for a new account with a new email address?

As you and I both said, PMs will not review guests in a negative light because there is zero benefit, how much of HA's inventory is managed by PMs? I can imagine many ways this system can wreak havoc with guests but I do not see any possibility for it to be considered a reliable vetting tool. How it will be a tool for HA remains to be seen.

• 20. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?
                  Active Contributor

LOL people with money can be Aholes just as much as those who do not.

• 21. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?
                    jl11 Senior Contributor

mloueze wrote:

IMO guest ratings will be arbitrary and capricious - how does that help anyone? 

It helps HA/Expedia because it gives them the final excuse to restrict direct communication between owes and travelers. "Hey, you don't need to contact them directly … they have reviews on our site … trust us".

Slippery slope.

• 22. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?
                      Contributor

I do not agree at all with your statement concerning this.

Giving us, the owners the ability to review guest is a great tool that will hopefully demonstrate to guests that we are not a "spineless bunch" with no teeth and living in fear of a negative review.

I only wish that there was some room to add free text on the review.

I'm sure that HA has no interest in stopping direct communications between owners and guests. What do you fear is coming next? Maybe not being told the guests name?

In my personal opinion there are far too many nay sayers who want to oppose the slightest bit of change that HA are trying to implement.

As I have stated before, we are all in partnership with HA and it is in neither of our interests to create difficulties or hurdles for the other.

• 23. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?
                        grant570 Active Contributor

The guest review system is only usefull if they can't open a new account with a different email anytime they get a bad review.    Its usefullness will also be limited by the fact that many owners will be afraid to leave a bad review for fear of getting a bad review in return.

• 24. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?

I think it is a good idea to rate guests. I obviously wouldn't rate them if I never actually interacted with them but lets say if for example, they trashed your place, other owners should be able to be aware of the fact. I think this is modeled after Airbnb if I'm not mistaken. 

• 25. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?
                            bobbie32 Premier Contributor

if for example, they trashed your place,

The problem is that everyone has a different idea as to what trashing your place actually means. One owner might think that trashing your place means not cleaning up including washing the dishes and putting them away.  Another person might think that trashing your place means items broken and furniture not returned to their original position.  Other person might think that trashing your place means that the cleaning effort between guests takes double the time. I have read posts on this forum that state that their placed was trashed, but in reality for me it is the price of doing business.  So for me, if I read a negative review of a guest, it might lead to believe that the owner is very picky. I might choose not to rent from this owner if I read a negative review of a guest.

• 26. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?

Well I think there are pretty good definitions of trashing if you look at the pictures. Re: Property management companies, you say?

Besides, if the guest "decides not to rent" because they "think" owner is too picky, perhaps that was not a good fit to start with. Maybe sloppy guests are not good for picky owners, and vice versa. So maybe the reviews will help create a "match" of guest/owner expectations. I think it is a good thing.

• 27. Re: Rating your guests - dumbest idea ever?
                                Senior Contributor

I think there is a difference between trashing a place and not leaving it according to the terms of the agreement.

If a guest failed to follow the departure instructions, according to how many oversights there were, I would deduct 1 or 2 stars under house rules.

If they trashed the house, they would get the lowest score from me on all categories.

This is the problem with no comment section, it is helpful to know if a star is deducted, what the offense was, as each owner views the oversight differently.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next