1 2 3 Previous Next 118 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2014 9:56 AM by sweetcaroline RSS

Ukraine Scams - Please Help

I own a ski property and I have a potential renter that sounds great but a little odd.  They are from Ukraine and want to rent my Ski condo in WV for 1 week in Summer.  Is there any type of scam from international starting points that I should be aware of?  So far there has been no odd request other than they want to rent my place.  Which is awesome obviously because I will be happy to have a renter in summer.  I'm also totally happy to have people from anywhere in the world of course.  I just thought I would check if any phishing or fraud takes place like this etc.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Ukraine Scams - Please Help
          Active Contributor

You’ve supplied us with very little information to make an educated determination, so I will make an assessment with what’s on hand.

Ukraine is a known place where vacation rental scammers operate and many Owners and Travelers can attest to being victimized by scammers operating in that area. There are very few Ukrainians that can afford to travel to the U.S. to vacation, let alone obtain a tourist visa to the U.S. And if they could, they are certainly wealthy, but even those would prefer to travel to well known tourist places in the U.S. given that it is a rare occurrence or once in a lifetime opportunity, places like New York, Disney World, Grand Canyon, Hollywood, and the likes, certainly not your place in Snowshoe, West Virginia, where its main attraction is specifically geared for skiers during the winter months, and certainly not a week coop-up in your Lodge during the summer. You get my drift?

If the Inquirer progressed to telling you in his subsequent emails, any of the following, then that is the “coup de grace” it is a scam.

>> Wants to pay by certified check, cashier's check, or unsecured wire transfer.

>> Offers to pay more than your stated rate, or explains to you that their HR has made a mistake of sending you an over-payment that included their plane ticket and now wants you to send them the difference by way of a certified check or wire transfer.

At this point, I see classic symtoms of a scam, perhaps a crescendo that might build up to a "FINALE" - the “coup de grace”. Should you wish to proceed, do so with extreme CAUTION!

• 2. Re: Ukraine Scams - Please Help
            sophie Senior Contributor

Just above your OP on this page, there is a blue section with the words "Search For Answers". Type in Ukraine and you can read a number of very informative posts on scams from the Ukraine.

• 3. Re: Ukraine Scams - Please Help

Further information... They did say that they could only pay by check.  This is fine for me because I don't take credit cards yet.  They are booking for July so any check they gave me would be cashed long before they get to the property.  Obviously I wont give them any refund or otherwise cash the check then give the $$ back in a different form.  I do think this is a scam the more I read about others being contacted by Ukrainians with similar stories and names.

Below is the actual request:

Hello

Thanks for the updated information.

We are okay with the accommodation and cost .

we would also like to confirm  the reservation on the following information:

- Mrs Olchik Solntseva

89/281 Jubileniya, 82209 kiev, Ukraine.

Also , due to the unsecured use of credit card online or on the phone, I have arrange for payment inform of check

Please do forward me the following details for payment

FULL NAME

BILLING ADDRESS

CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER

Hope to hear from you soon

Regards

• 4. Re: Ukraine Scams - Please Help
                Active Contributor

It has SCAM written all over it. The Inquirer has delivered the "coup de grace"!

The check he will provide will be a fake one, and may even clear. Sometimes they try to fake a check of a company, and the company may be a legitimate one and the company may not notice the debit until several months later. That will certainly come back to haunt you, as you may be targeted for an investigation on a possible fraudster since you cashed the check. A sheriff may be knocking on your door, or an FBI agent. Save yourself the trouble – don’t even cash the check.

• 5. Re: Ukraine Scams - Please Help

Ahhh....

Yes you are right.  This is a bad idea. 

Thanks

J

• 6. Re: Ukraine Scams - Please Help

Definitely a scam--got the exact same wordage as the person above just with a  different name.

Today I get this song and dance that checks for deposit and travel agent both made out to me but once check cleared to send other money to travel agent--YEAH RIGHT--NOT!

Send back a reply can't do this and I know it is a scam--came here to check it out just to make sure and found this thread!!

• 7. Re: Ukraine Scams - Please Help

Gosh..... I guess the Ukranians are "working overtime" this week as we, too, received a similarly worded inquiry concerning our apartment in Venice, Italy!!!!

The original inquiry sounded fine, but then red flags went up immediately afterwards when "they" were willing to take any available date, couldn't pay using our preferred method of PayPal or bank transfer (mercifully, we hadn't given it out!), wanted all our address information etc. so that "their" bank could transfer funds, then said that both "they" and "their agent" had sent checks, so could we possibly "refund" them half the monies!!!!!!!

Initially, we felt somewhat violated...... and rather stupid...... but have sent "them" a very "terse" e-mail saying that we have forwarded all their correspondence to the Attorney General's Office, are seeking legal action, and will not be scammed.

My advice to anyone else who has suspicions, especially after receiving such an inquiry, is to go with your gut feeling ALWAYS.  You do have the upper hand....

We first thought that the inquiry was from someone rather senile (sorry!), due to the bad use of the English language and typing skills.  Then the more we studied it, the more it became apparent that this "person" was not who they claimed to be, and was probably Russian/Ukranian as none of their sentences contained a definite or indefinite article; this is how their national language is structured, so this is a dead give-away.

"They" claimed to be inquiring from England, but the time shown on their incoming e-mails would have put "them" sitting at their computer at 2 am - 3 am in the UK!  Highly unlikely.......

My advice, after feeling both idiotic and vindicated, is to always trust in yourself.  If you have suspicions, particularly like I mentioned above, is to break off all contact immediately, keep a record of all the correspondence, change passwords if you feel like you need to (we did) to be on the safe side, and NEVER EVER be coerced into changing your policies to suit anyone.

Your holiday home is a huge investment, and you stand to lose not only that, but far more should "they" gain access to your identity and finances.  Heed any doubts you have about a potential client.  It is simply not worth the risk!

• 8. Re: Ukraine Scams - Please Help
                        marym Active Contributor

jbrow31215, I read the first  two sentences, and I thought "you're kidding, right??!"  The respondents have said it all - scam!  Stick with us - you'll learn a lot on this site!! 

• 9. Re: Ukraine Scams - Please Help

I received the same email but with a different name:

Hello

- Mrs Erinka Jansonaite

49/71 Marikovakad, 82209 kiev, Ukraine.

Also , due to the unsecured use of credit card online or on the phone, I have arrange for payment inform of check

FULL NAME

BILLING ADDRESS

CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER

Regards

Erinka Jansonaite

I say SCAM, and will not reply.

• 10. Re: Ukraine Scams - Please Help
                            skiandglee Active Contributor

Same  here.  I knew it was a scam right from the get go when there were only 2 guests looking to rent my 4 br lake house which is way expensive for just 2 people.  I asked them about their group and I got the below boilerplate response and didn't answer my questions which was more evidence of a fraud.

Hello

We are okay with the accommodation and cost  .I would also

like to confirm  the reservation on the following information:

- Mr Igor Gluck & mrs Nancy Gluck

64 frunze road, 89240 kiev, Ukraine.

Also , due to the unsecured use of credit card online or on the phone, I

have arrange for payment inform of a cashier's check

FULL NAME

BILLING ADDRESS

CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER

Hope to hear from you soon, please do also reconfirm the total fees 

Regards

Nancy Gluck

• 11. Re: Ukraine Scams - Please Help

I received this three days ago, my very first confirmation turned out to be a scam. Made a request the day before without any comments, 2 people for a house that sleeps ten for a week in June. Odd behaviour....

Didnt take me long to realize that something stinks!

This is their address just FYI: nnowell317@hotmail.com

Hello

- mr igor Nowels and Mrs Eileen Nowels

107/30 Ubileniya, 85209 kiev, Ukraine.

Also , due to the unsecured use of credit card online or on the phone, I have arrange for payment inform of bank draft

FULL NAME

BILLING ADDRESS

CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER

Regards

Eileen Nowels

• 12. Re: Ukraine Scams - Please Help
                                stjvilla Active Contributor

What is it with the Ukraine?  At this point if we saw that word in an inquiry, we would delete it immediately with no further thought.  Feel sorry for the honest folks of that country whose name is now synonymous with "scam."

• 13. Re: Ukraine Scams - Please Help

Below is the follow up emails the scammer sent.

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Olchik Solntseva <1990seva@hotmail.com> wrote:

Good afternoon

I am sorry for all the delay in payment .

There was a mix up in the payment sent to you ,I was suppose to receive two separate payment one for you and the other for my traveling agent But all payments was issued in your name and sent .

I tried to correct this but it was in vain as i was ask to resolve the problem myself. It would have to go through a very long process to change this error . Please I don't know what to do.

I have been advised me to contact you since these checks where issued in your name , so you should be able to clear them into your account. As soon as you have the checks cleared to your account you are to deduct your rent and remit the balance to my travel agent Please do let me know how you can help on this issue .

Thanks

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 3:14 AM, Olchik Solntseva <1990seva@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hello

- Mrs Olchik Solntseva

89/281 Jubileniya, 82209 kiev, Ukraine.

FULL NAME

BILLING ADDRESS

CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER

Regards

Olchik Solntseva

• 14. Re: Ukraine Scams - Please Help

I was contacted by these folks: Same letter:

1 2 3 Previous Next