7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2012 4:31 PM by tyann RSS

Want to see what people think of my newly redesigned cabin website

Contributor

Hi,

I recently launched a new redesign website for our 3 cabins. We got professional photos done and completed the web design portion.

The new site can be seen at

www.berkeleyspringsgetaways.com

Wanted to see if you had any thoughts or ideas on how I can improve upon it? I will be adding more social media to it shortly.

Thanks,

Claudio

• Re: Want to see what people think of my newly redesigned cabin website
          lrbaldwin Active Contributor

Your pictures are excellent!  I like the whole site.  I really believe that pictures are the most important part of any VR advertising.  That's the only way people can see what it's like.  Too many sites have pictures taken with a consumer camera that does not offer wide angle which is so important inside the house.

Your cabins are lovely.  We used to rent cabins in SW Virginia before we bought our cottage in Duck.  It was great fun and so peaceful....except for the one that was truly a hunters' cabin and had fleas.  That was in the middle of a Christmas tree farm.

Good luck with your rentals!

Linda

Contributor

Claudio, your webpage is professional, easy to navigate, informative and the photos are excellent.

Well done - I would rent from you in a heartbeat.

amyg Active Contributor

Claudio, nice job on the new web site.  I particularily like your logo.  Did you have someone do that for you?  I also like the grey box that highlights some of the amenities at each cabin.  Good for people who scan and want quick information.

I thought it was clever that all your rentals are pet friendly and you've named them with pet breeds--Jack Russell's Ridge, Collie's Centennial and Retriever's Retreat.  I bet you have a lot of guests who bring pets!

Who designed this for you? It is lovely!!! May I ask how much was creating such a professional website?

Nice Job Claudio! From a designer's standpoint, I think that it works well. The colors, which are neutral, make people think of simplicity, which is probably what you want because the properties are cabins. If i were to change anything, it would be one of the fonts. I think it breaks a flow, or a design rule that you set for yourself. For instance, where it says, "make a reservation", the "make a" is in a different type... i feel like that breaks a flow... maybe if you had that whole part as one clickable font then it would flow a little smoother. But it looks very good and i think you will have a lot of people booking your properties!

http://www.rentalcommand.com/

loscuatrotulipanes Community All-Star

Claudio,

I just finished a video course on how to design and layout your vacation rental website (http://www.vacationrentalmarketingblog.com/conversions-crash-course-preview/) and I have to say that your site is in a premium echelon. From your calls to action, to images, to color schemes, to menu simplicity, to limited text...etc. You really hit all the main points and it´s clear that whoever built your site has some great experience. Your site represents a great portfolio of the best practices that convert more of your existing traffic to bookings, and if anyone is reading this and wondering whether or not they should upgrade their website, Claudio is a perfectly exemplary ´YES´!!

If you don´t mind, I´d like to use your site as an example in the next video course I´m working on?

Matt of Vacation Rental Marketing Blog

tyann Contributor

LOVE the website! Wonderful job on the design and functionality. A few minor things that I would suggest (since you asked):

Photos and graphics need alternate text (aka mouseover text): Okay, so this one is not minor...this is very, very important for SEO. The spiders can't "read" your photos, but they can "read" the alt text. And, if a blind person is browsing the site, the alt text is read to them.

On the Home page: Make the text under your graphics clickable to the link as well. Also, under the 3 clickable graphics, you have 2 areas with additional pics and text. Make these clickable to somewhere. With the arrows next to them, they are a call to action. The first one could go to your location page since it talks about your location.

Bottom of each page: Make the logo clickable back to the home page.

About the owners page: Picture of the owners is needed! Replace "temp_img_3" and "temp_img_4" alternate text with keywords about the photos. Also break up the first paragraph into at least 2 paragraphs. It is too long, thus making it daunting to read.

Cabins page: Change the slideshow galleries to regular galleries that someone has to click on to go to the next picture. As it is, the slideshow is so fast that the picture doesn't even load before it goes to the next one (at least on my computer). Also, when viewing a photo gallery, I want to be able to inspect a photo before I move on to the next pic.

Rates page: Maybe add separation (i.e. a bold line) between each house to make the difference clearer.

Local Information pages: Make sure you have pictures! The first two pages are overwhelming with all the text.

Your website designer did awesome! Too bad, the designer didn't add their link at the bottom of the site, though.

Tyann Marcink

Nature's Retreat and Canyon Retreat | Vacation Home in Branson

Website Design and Photography | Marcink Designs