7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2012 1:05 PM by huntd RSS

Video content

I tried to link a youTube video on my listing that is a 180 degree pan of the view of the ocean from our deck. VRBO rejected the video saying that it did not pertain to the rental unit advertised on the listing. The view is the main feature that rents our property. Does anyone have experience with what VRBO will accept for video of the outside of a rental unit? We have a view from the deck as one of our photos and this does not seem to be a problem.Thanks.

• Re: Video content
          lrbaldwin Active Contributor

That sounds really strange to me.  I have a photo of the view from my deck, and I've seen loads of others that have images of the beach, other places that are not near their houses.  I wonder why they object to that kind of view from a video. 

Linda

anja Senior Contributor

I agree with you....your view is a huge selling point. Without seeing the YouTube video you created - or your VRBO listing it was created to "relate to", ....it's hard for me to offer comment as to why VRBO would reject this.  But, it sounds like, from what you've stated they said, they want to see more of the house included in the video  {so it is obviously the view from THAT house ....I don't know...I can't see either}. But, I'm thinking: can you easily edit the video to include some of the house? For example: shoot a few seconds starting with showing the back exterior of the house from the deck...then pan out to the 180 degree expanse of ocean view that house/deck offers. Or, shoot from inside the back door...moving out through the door to the deck and pan out to the ocean {?}.  I can understand that you may  have used a professional service to create the video....and this would be costly to re-do....but if you have a videocam you could do a new shoot yourself.  I do my own {I'm no pro}.

Good points Anja. The next time that we are down I'm planning on trying to shoot a video where I walk through the house, out onto the deck, and then do the 180 view from the deck. However I would like to have a better understanding of the VRBO policy before I try another video. If it is fine for me to include photos from the deck in my listing, then why not a video? If there is some policy prohibiting scenery shots around the house I would like to know what it is before I waste more time on this.

anja Senior Contributor

I agree with you....let's see if we can get more details.  Perhaps there are guidelines on the VRBO site.....I'm going to look ...also for my own information because I just created a YouTube account yesterday  {I've been shooting a lot of video with a cam I bought a month ago.}   And, I will upload something to my VRBO listing, too. {I am thrilled that VRBO provided this feature....so, I have to thank HA-VRBO for that one....always give thanks when it's due!} Perhaps a Moderator will "chime in" and give us {all} an explanation of what / how to do this to be "accepted".

sodamo Contributor

Definitely would be nice to see some official guidance. Have to admit that when the new 16 photos plus video policy came about, one of my first thoughts were about the legitimacy about some photos not unlike what we see here on the real estate MLS. 16 photos and video of a small property could be overkill. I can see where views could be suspect and hope the guidance takes that into account. The view 50 ft from a property may be spectacular, but somehow it should be made clear if not the same as standing at the unit. Hope that's understandable.

I did receive a response from customer support. While they did not address my questions about what was allowed in a video they have now posted the video shot from our deck on our listing. I assume that they just needed to be reassured that the video pertained directly to the house.