7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2012 3:49 PM by sophie RSS

Pan Am flight attendants had a party and do not want to pay

Contributor

I rented a home to a group of women who wanted "A Girl's retreat" as they originally expressed. They threw a big party, inviting well beyond the home capacity.

My contract clearly states the home limit is 6 people for the three bedrooms, and I normally allow that some guests visit overday, but a 50 person party is definitely excessive.

I contacted them and they deny the party, just a get together with 5 other friends, and that it is not illegal. They are willing to pay the cleaning fee but not the broken glasses (about 4) nor the extra $25 per person I state in my contract. They refuse to pay

It is my word against theirs, or actually my neighbor's word, whom I will not get involved in a dispute.

How enforceable is a contract with no clear proof and how can I have proof in the future of overloading the home?

• Re: Pan Am flight attendants had a party and do not want to pay
          Contributor

Im so sorry this has happened to you. I feel for you.

If it were me, I would probably let it go. It is not worth getting in a big ordeal (over a few?) broken glasses, and possibly having them leave a bad review.

In the future, maybe you should take a 250.00 -500.00 deposit to cover things like this. Your contract can state "If guest is found to be in violation of exceeding the occupancy of the home, etc then a flat rate of 100.00 will be charged and make them sign, as well as guests deposit will cover any broken glasses, etc." Unless you are there to count each and every person, your 25.00 per person over occupancy is really ineffective.

This is a learning process for us all. Last month I had one guest stay over an extra night (promising to pay by cc that night) well she didn't and I lost one nights rent, but in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't worth making big deal. Now, I have a credit card pre-authorization in the amount of 250 to cover guests that stay over their lease date. You live and learn in this business.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Contributor

Your opinion should be enough and they are definitely abuser, negotiate a lower fee but charge them, or take the security deposit altogether for violating your contract.

In a case like this VRBO should protect owners from misleading complaints.

anja Senior Contributor

A group of women flight attendants + five other friends "a party can make".....{a group of nuns can become a party, too}.....but they will not see it your way no matter what you or your neighbor will attest to.  I agree with 'citrusisle".....this is not a "big enough" problem to warrent the "BIG DEAL" all those flight attendants will  make...they will attempt to ruin your business.  Just imagine: each and every one of them uploading to the Internet...where ever they can...a "complaint" against you. Broken wine glasses are not worth their weight vs the  weight of the impact all those bad comments will have for your future business.  I would let this one "go"...it's just glass that can be replaced.  {Some people will sign a contract, lie to your face, break rental terms...etc.. no matter what your contract states. ...but you have to specify in the contract, anyway, what is not permitted.  But, it doesn't mean they'll read it....so then also still be vigilant in screening the inquirier before booking. If you do not feel comfortable with the "inquirer's answers" or if they are "vague"....do not rent to them. You can tell the "lead renter" that you require to know, in advance, every person's name that will be using your home....and then include all the names in the contract, as "extra visiting guests".  You can do this.  If people don't like it...they won't book....be prepared to lose their business.  There has to be an "occupancy"limit...and an "extra  guest" limit.....so just provide whatever you do permit for "day visitors" and/or "night visitors"...  the "6 lines, or 8 lines for extra names to be filled in....and state that the occupancy may not exceed that limit. Add the "extra guest fees" to the rental price  so the "lead renter" knows and pays upfront.}  P.S.  I am very strict about "extra visitors".....and I have not had any problems with violations {of course it helps that I live very close to my rental...but I do not book with people who have a "design"  on how they want to use my house.  I ask them before I book them so neither they nor I have any "surprises"......and I refuse bookings for "family parties", "wedding celebrations", "birthday bashes"....etc..  My property can accommodate  a maximum of 6 people, {it can sleep 8 but I limit capacity to 6}...and the place can not support an overload of extra guests beyond those that are "registered" and paid for.

Max - Sorry to hear what happened.  Did they state they are flight attendants who work for Pan Am?

I only take credit cards and as part of my rental agreement, I list a $$$ amount that will be charged to their credit card for damages and that we have up to five days after check-out to apply damages, etc. fees to their card.  I made sure to have my rental agreement reviewed by an attorney, who also added, deleted items to ensure legal accuracy. 

What I have learned from your post is I need to state clearly no parties, or large gatherings of any type (I would specify, because I find you can not over state what your intentions, rules and guidlines are for staying in your property).

Good luck with what you decide.

gabriel Active Contributor

Hi Max:

Great title, you must be watching Pan Am on TV lately, and I get your point. Sorry you had a party in your own home and you were not invited, from your story, they must have had a great time.

But moving to more serious stuff, it is not worth a fight over a few bucks, learn from it, get a deposit and damage insurance next time, and I hope you made money from the rent after all.

That was some party!!! next time invite me please