Community 101

Welcome to Community!

Community was created to cater to vacation rental owners and property managers from around the globe who are interested in sharing valuable information, exchanging experiences, and bonding with others who share the same questions about the vacation rental industry.

You may have noticed some changes recently.  Don’t worry though; all of the same great content is still here. We just wanted to give you an updated site and a better user experience.  Read below to find out more about how to utilize our Community.

Community Glossary:

• Webinars – Attend interactive online events from anywhere.  Can’t make it? We provide recordings of almost all presentations.
    • Blogs – Check out inside scoop from industry experts covering a myriad of vacation rental related topics.
    • Groups – Groups allow you to connect with other people like you, whether locally or globally. For example, if you own a vacation rental in Austin, Texas and have questions specific to next year’s Austin City Limits Festival, you’ll probably solicit more helpful feedback by posing your question to an Austin Group versus posting your question within one of the main forums. If you are looking for a particular group that does not seem to exist, create it!
    • Forums – Forums are a place for you to talk on a global level.  Want to swap stories about how to increase rental revenue, best practices, or which is the best model hot tub? Those discussions belong in our Forums.
    • Discussions – Start a discussion about a relevant topic that is important to you. Other Community members will weigh in too! You must be a registered user to start a discussion.
    • Questions – Ask a question and get answers from other Community members.

Community FAQs:

How do I register?

Simply click Register at the top of your screen to complete our quick and easy registration process. Or, if you prefer, you can login with your Facebook account. Don’t forget to upload your profile image and avatar to personalize your account.

How  do I start a discussion?

You must be a registered member of the site and logged in to start a discussion.  Once logged in, navigate to the category relevant to your discussion.  Click Start a discussion under Actions on the right side of the page. You will then be provided with a place to give your discussions a title and a large text box for your thought. You can also mark it as a question. Don’t for get to click Post at the bottom of the discussion page.

How do I create a group?

Under Add a new place click Group. Give your group a name, description, and make sure to add tags so it is easy to find! You can make your group open, private, members only, or secret. Click Preview to see what your group will look like. If you are happy with the results, click Create Group.

How do I report an inappropriate post?

If you come across a post that has questionable content, simply click Report Abuse on the right hand side of the page. From there, you will be asked to fill out a form that will help us determine the correct actions to take.

How can I follow certain discussions, spaces, or groups?

When you are viewing a discussion, space, or group that interests you click Follow.  This will pull the content into your connections stream.

How do I access my connections stream?

You must be a registered user and logged in to see your connections stream.  Click your name at the top, click Inbox and Activity, and click Connections Stream. All content that you have chosen to follow will appear here.

How do I change my time zone settings?

Once logged in, click your name at the top, click Preferences, and then change to your desired time zone

How do I manage my email notifications?

Once logged in, click your name at the top, click Preferences, and you will see three Inbox sections.  Select On or Off indicating the type of notifications you would like to receive in your email.

Is my full name visible to other users?

No, only your username is visible to other users.  When you log-in you will see your full name at the top of the page, but this is only visible to you.  To make any other privacy changes to your profile: Click your name, Click Edit Profile, Click Privacy.

How do I send a private message?

To send a private message you must be Friends with the recipient.  Click the user you want to be friends with and then click Add as friend.  Next navigate to your Inbox and click Send Message.

Was your question not answered?

Email community@homeaway.com with any additional questions you may have.