Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
3576 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2012 10:37 AM by dbmeyer RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Aug 10, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 10, 2012 10:35 PM

Guestbook not working?

Why is my guest book not working? I know a guest submitted a comment but it never appears.

• sophie Senior Contributor 969 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    Aug 10, 2012 11:00 PM (in response to dogwood)
    Re: Guestbook not working?

Hi dogwood,

It normally takes a few days for vrbo/ha to let you know there is a review as they have to approve it first. If it doesn't come through in a week or so, I would call support and find out what's going on. It could be that the renter didn't confirm the review or maybe there was something objectionable in it that couldn't be published.

After you receive an email saying you have a review it can take up to a week to appear in your guestbook. If it's a less than 4 or 5 star it will take even longer for them to notify you.

• Contributor 233 posts since
      Dec 26, 2011
      Aug 11, 2012 9:00 PM (in response to sophie)

I too had a guest tell me by email that they had submitted a review on Tuesday.  I have not yet received a  notification from VRBO that the review was submitted, which typically happens shortly after the review is written and prior to their final approval process/posting to the website, which takes an additional 2-3 days typically.  I would think that they should be focusing on matters that are really important to owners such as the rare review we are able to get submitted, rather than making unncessary programming changes that have resulted in more support time needed to fix the errors.  It seems they are really in trouble right now.  I suspect they have "all hands on deck"working on all the problems they have recently created, and have no time to do the day-to-day processing/approving, etc.  Hope they are listening to the ideas and suggestions from owners and renters, in order to avoid many of these problems in the future.  Time for crisis management VRBO!

• trish Contributor 151 posts since
        Feb 24, 2011
        Aug 12, 2012 5:57 PM (in response to dbmeyer)

I agree,dbmeyer. I  have had problems with reviews, as well. Some of my guests have said "tried to leave one, but it didn't 'take'". If reviews are so important, why do they make it so hard to leave one? We have been catering lately to retired adventure seekers, who are great guests, take care of our house, etc. What they don't want to do is have a hassle trying to leave a review.

I've also heard from potential renters using vrbo that the calendar isn't easy to find......I was on there the other day and couldn't find it either! On homeaway, it's listed right at the top and it's easy to find out if the house you are interested in is open when you want it, but on vrbo its a lot harder. Why?

• carl2860 Contributor 49 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    Aug 12, 2012 6:10 PM (in response to dogwood)

I had one guest today attempt to leave a review and it asked him to sign in using his Facebook account so he backed out and said "forget this". What is going on with this company?

Dec 26, 2011
    Aug 13, 2012 8:56 PM (in response to dogwood)

I received this response from VRBO in answer to my support issue logged with them regarding a "lost" review from one of my guests who did in fact leave a review (without any error message).  Looks like we also need to test the reviews functionality to see if it is working.  Anyone actually have any reviews post lately?

Thank you for contacting VRBO.com Customer Support.

Your guest will need to go to your listing and click on "write a review" at the top of the page. If they have any trouble, they will need to contact us at vrbo/support.  If you need further assistance, please visit our Help page at the link below to find commonly asked questions and answers.

Thank you for using VRBO.com—offering more than 150,000 rentals in 100+ countries worldwide.

Best regards,

Nadia

VRBO.com Customer Support

• anja Senior Contributor 1,560 posts since
      Aug 9, 2011
      Aug 13, 2012 9:25 PM (in response to dbmeyer)

dbmeyer wrote:

[...]  Anyone actually have any reviews post lately?

Yes.   I had one this week from my latest guest's review...they posted it and it went live with no glitches and no unusual delay after I added my Owner's Comment.

I've had other problems with the site though this week. Meredith stated today that they were looking  into what I've communicated about. It's odd how some of us have had problems, some not, and some have had very different problems.

Dec 26, 2011
        Aug 13, 2012 10:41 PM (in response to anja)

Thank you for letting me know about your review that was received this week Anja.  I hate to ask my guest to attempt to submit another review since it appears to be such a pain to do and if this one also doesn't work, will create more negative impressions of VRBO for my guest.  I've got to give this some thought...

• anja Senior Contributor 1,560 posts since
          Aug 9, 2011
          Aug 14, 2012 11:02 AM (in response to dbmeyer)

dbmeyer, I understand how you feel about not wanting to ask them to do the review over again.

BTW:  I try to make it as easy as possible for my guests when I ask them to review. In  your review request,  did you send them the "direct link" to the "Review Form" for your listing?  Or, did you just ask them to go to VRBO to submit a review?  [I always give them the direct link to the Review Form...and I always tell them that they do not have  to use their full name, or even their real name...nicknames are accepted....and  I give them the date of their checkin,  so they have everything at their fingertips when they get my request.]

Still....

I find that fewer guests are doing online reviews.  In fact, I am missing *a lot* of online reviews that I think I should have been granted given the good experiences guests have had...but they didn't follow up my request. I am confident the guests enjoyed their stay...I received their praises upon checking  out and in their guestbook remarks.

I've had quite a few guests this year tell me that they do not do online reviews...that they do not want to receive solicitations.  And, I've had guests writing me emails once they've arrived home, with very nice feedback....and when I asked them to copy their remarks into the "review"  form and upload it, they answered that I "may use their email as a review", meaning  that I may just upload their email text myself,  online.  Of  course I could do "Owner Submitted" feedback,  but guests uploading remarks are usually valued more, on listings.

I am very very happy, just the same, when I get their good remarks ...in any format. 

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points