Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
1966 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2012 9:42 PM by kiawahcottage RSS
New Member 4 posts since
Apr 3, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 3, 2012 10:50 AM

Does this inquiry sound suspicious?

Traveler Name: XXX

Traveler Email: XXX

We rec'd an inquiry yesterday that was suspicios for several reasons: 1) was from a strange sounding Russian name 2) - the spelling of the first name included our last name in it. 3) The email was also weird sounding, 4)  it was for a full week stay 6 months from now during off season.5) It was for 4 people with no children, but this is clearly described as a studio condo w/ no separate bedroom (not really good for 4 adults)  I emailed back & told the inquirer to provide more details &  phone #. Any suggestions or similar inquiries/experiences? 

• ttaylor0 Active Contributor 425 posts since
    Apr 1, 2011
    Apr 3, 2012 7:37 PM (in response to lmcdavis)
    Re: Does this inquiry sound suspicious?

I got the exact same email using the exact same names, dates, number of people, etc. By the way, the last name that they used is the name of a character in a Russian book about a Ukraine girl raised by wolves.

This is scam if I have ever seen it.

• Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2012 8:10 PM (in response to lmcdavis)

There may be a legitimate question here, but it isn't about whether that was a suspicious inquiry. I mean: You give five good reasons why any reasonable person would think this is suspicious. Let's stipulate: It's suspicious. Or bogus. Or whatever you want to call it. I'll call it "spam."

So the question in my mind is: Presumably, Homeaway has developed a decent system for identifying and eliminating spam. Lord knows, it must have thwarted a million spammers by now. So how did this one get through their net?

• kiawahcottage Community All-Star 375 posts since
    Jan 1, 2011
    Apr 3, 2012 9:42 PM (in response to lmcdavis)

Hi Imcdavis,

Probably they are scammers.  Be extremely vigilant about clicking links that look like they are inquiries from HA / VRBO or from your e-mail web mail provider.  If you click on something and see something about having to re-login or session timeout, etc. don't click, just go back in through your bookmarks.

They are very good at spoofing HA /VRBO inquiries, so I repeat, if you have to re-login or session timeout do not click! 

Paul

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points