Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
1752 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2012 12:43 AM by anja RSS
New Member 25 posts since
Mar 17, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 21, 2012 2:05 PM

A dedicate phone # for rental enquiries

We just bought a vacation rental in Maui and we plan to manage it ourselves.  It's not yet listed because we're renovating it.

I would like to know if we should list our existing home phone number in VRBO for rental enquiries/issues or should we have a new dedicate phone # for that purpose.

We're concern with protecting our privacy plus with the dedicate phone # we can switch it off and have it go the answering machine whenever we're not able to take calls.

Thoughts?

• swiss-house Contributor 260 posts since
    Jul 6, 2011
    Mar 21, 2012 3:53 PM (in response to luvmaui)
    Re: A dedicate phone # for rental enquiries

We've set up a separate number for our public listing, and have it go to a voice mailbox.  But I always return phone calls (when needed) from my cell phone, and give people the cell phone number if they need to reach me in a hurry about something.  I figure I can keep the crazies at bay by not publishing my "real" number but still give out a direct number (my cell) for those I feel won't abuse it.

Our publish only number is a free number from google: http://voice.google.com/

• anja Senior Contributor 1,560 posts since
    Aug 9, 2011
    Mar 21, 2012 6:35 PM (in response to luvmaui)

I use a toll-free # for my ads.  If you want to protect your private number, then I would not list it on the Internet. I did that for a while, but no longer.  I now only list my business's toll free #.  I can answer it ...but I also have it set up to switch over to my voice message automatically if I can not answer after 5 rings {I work from home but I can't always take every call}...If I can, I do.   I also like having a "caller ID" feature ...especially because of my rental business...because I can then block out the annoying marketers that call. I block their numbers - so they don't bother me again.  I LOVE call blocking feature  :o)  .

• anja Senior Contributor 1,560 posts since
      Aug 9, 2011
      Mar 22, 2012 12:43 AM (in response to luvmaui)

Yes, that sounds like a good deal you have for your cell.  I'd use it until you know what your "phone trafffic" will be like for inquiries.   My toll-free # and the subscription plan was "grandfathered" to me when I bought my rental...the previous owners had the toll-free # originally. The company permitted them to transfer the number + the plan to me several years ago, now.  It's excellent --  cheap -- I only have the usage fees and that varies according to the number of calls I get from people inquiring by phone....which has been steadily dwindling by calling.  As more and more people are contacting me via emails using iphones and ipads, fewer and fewer are calling using the toll-free #.  But, I'm going to keep the number because I was recently told by the company that the specific plan that I have is no longer available -- so if I cancelled it, I'd never get it back if I decided to renew.  It's an old TTI National plan.

You can always 'google'  toll-free phone and see what comes up.  One place is http://www.besttollfree800numbers.com/

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points