Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
5067 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2012 4:58 PM by starbird RSS
New Member 3 posts since
Mar 5, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 5, 2012 8:38 PM

What would you do?

I just received this in a e-mai, it smells fishy to me, anyone else?

thanks for your comments.
"Hello
I am sorry for all the delay in payment .
There was a mix up in the payment sent to you ,
I was suppose to receive two separate payment one for you and the other for my travel agent .
All payment was issue in your name and sent to you . I tried to correct this but it was in vain as
i was ask to resolve the problem myself.
It would have to go through a very long process to change this error .
Please I don't know what to do.
My travel agent advised me to contact you since the cheque were issued in your name , you should be able to help.
As soon as you have the check clears into your account, you are to keep your full payment and remit the balance to my travel agent.
i am so sorry for this inconvinience
Thanks"
  • carol Senior Contributor 2,155 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mar 5, 2012 9:28 PM (in response to mjb)
    Re: What would you do?

Run! This is a classic scam.  Don't deposit their check, you will incur bad check charges.  Tell them the deal is off if you already confirmed a reservation -- they have not fulfilled their part of the deal.

• anja Senior Contributor 1,560 posts since
    Aug 9, 2011
    Mar 5, 2012 9:56 PM (in response to mjb)

mjb:  the other Community member, carol, is correct  This is "the classic" of all scams. It's so "old" that it's "tired"...but there are still people who are new to being rental owners and they have not seen this yet.  But, believe us...it is a scam.  Forget about the check they send to you...it's a fake.l...don't even try to cash it.  Just tear it up.  You do not have a reservation...it was never intended that anyone  would check into your place.  So, just to be "thorough" do as  Carol said:  email them to say that someone came along and booked the place already. Don't let them try to book another date.  Just stop responding.

• marym Active Contributor 463 posts since
    Feb 10, 2011
    Mar 6, 2012 6:23 AM (in response to mjb)

I agree - I just posted another thread re: scam.  Do a 180!!

• New Member 11 posts since
    Feb 15, 2012
    Mar 6, 2012 2:25 PM (in response to mjb)

Don't even bother lying and telling them that somebody else has rented your place.  This is the granddaddy of scams that originated in Nigeria.  Tell them that you are aware of their scam and all of their information has been forwarded to the authorities.  Or...you could play with them a bit.  Tell them to send their payment in cash (small bills preferred) because you could really use the money.  If they happen to make a mistake and send far more than you requested, you will be certain to refund the difference asap....as soon as you return from shopping.

• anja Senior Contributor 1,560 posts since
      Aug 9, 2011
      Mar 6, 2012 2:36 PM (in response to kwils1)

Personally, I would not  want to risk  "playing"  around with these "bad guys".  We never know if they want to take sick revenge...and there are various ways that can be arranged.  But, I do think that we should forward their emails to the authorities. For whatever good that does...at least we feel we did something. I'd agree with you on that!

• marym Active Contributor 463 posts since
    Feb 10, 2011
    Mar 6, 2012 6:12 PM (in response to mjb)

I posted a note this AM about some wacky request I got - it was the same note essentially.  I, too, was tempted for just the slightest moment to respond and play with these jokers.  But I was a little worried - because it was an official VRBO inquiry, I figured they might be able to mess up my ad or who knows if they can screw up my e-mail, etc., etc.

• New Member 11 posts since
    Feb 15, 2012
    Mar 6, 2012 9:52 PM (in response to mjb)

Ah, play with them if you want.  They aren't interested in seeking revenge.  They're sitting in an internet cafe somewhere in Nigeria or the Ukraine looking to hook one of the 0.01% of vacation owners who might fall for their scam.  I've taken both routes and most likely you'll never hear from them again.

• marilyn Active Contributor 459 posts since
    Nov 9, 2011
    Apr 22, 2012 5:10 PM (in response to mjb)

The minute they ask the home owner for money, that's a no no big time scam

• New Member 1 posts since
    Apr 30, 2012
    Apr 30, 2012 4:58 PM (in response to mjb)

Just tell them you don't rent to people that are grammatically challenged.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)