Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
356312 Views 1,450 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2014 6:49 PM by grace300 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 97 Previous Next
  • Contributor 39 posts since
    Feb 21, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    930. Mar 27, 2012 10:49 AM (in response to rhood151)
    Re: Hawaii Trying to Kill VRBO

No wonder the legislators can't get anything accomplished.  They just keep

reiterating the same bills over and over!

Gail Baker

Discount Window Coverings

530-587-5577

discountwindowcoverings.hdspd.com

• Contributor 30 posts since
    Feb 22, 2012
    931. Mar 27, 2012 12:33 PM (in response to fairwayshomeowner)

The SB2947 bill is not only a regurgitation of the prior tax-id and local agent communication clauses (again with ambiguous wording of "agent"), it primarily entails a full reward program for taxation whistleblowers - similar to the IRS. (See IRS whistle blower program info at http://www.irs.gov/compliance/article/0,,id=180171,00.html).

• New Member 2 posts since
    Mar 26, 2012
    932. Mar 27, 2012 1:43 PM (in response to cruisin9)

Aloha,  on the chance that someone in this group is not in the FB group, I thought I would copy the email from this morning.  Please forgive if you already received this.  Better to get twice than not at all.

Urgently request testimony once again – for Bill HB1706

We are writing to ask owners to submit  testimony for Bill HB1706 HD, which recently passed the House and is now in the Senate.  On Wednesday March 28, the Consumer Protection Committee will hear testimony on HB1706 HD1 – a bill that will make it law to:

Requires owners of residential units who reside on a different island than the unit or out-of-state to provide the managing agent or resident manager of the condominium project with contact information of a rental agent located in the State who is responsible for the management of the property.

While we agree with the intent of this bill, we feel it leaves us with a few questions.

-  We are concerned that the bill may be changed to reflect the rental agent be a licensed real estate profession.

-  We believe that the term of rental agent should be changed to designated local contact.

How to submit testimony:

We are asking all owners to write testimony TODAY – Tuesday, March 27th:

•                Please submit your testimony HB1706 on-line at http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=hb&billnumber=1706

then click on the blue submit button

Or by sending an email  to: CPNtestimony@capitol.hawaii.gov (include 1706 HD1, Tourism Committee March 28th 9:30 am, your full name & address)

Some suggestions for writing testimony:

1)  Be respectful

2)   If you have a business name submit your testimony as an organization and list your business name.

3)   Support paying tax – but express concern/oppose the insertion of property managers or realtors into the equation in any way

4)   Consider including personal stories of experiences with property managers.  Many of us have experiences that illustrate how they don’t screen guests as well as we do, how they can overbook, problems with billings and accounting.  We are strong ambassadors for Hawaii.

5)   Recommend enforcing Hawaii’s existing laws.

6)  Ideally keep your testimony to under one page.

If you are able, it would be ideal to show up in person to deliver your testimony!

Mahalo

TEAM RBOAA

We have recently sent a request out for membership.  While we have received a number of you committing to join, we have also received a few requests to explain who we are.

We are newly formed, Hawaii 501(c).  We are comprised of owners from all over the country and Canada whom like yourself heard about the pending legislation way too late.  We soon realized that we needed to get organized, inform fellow owners and get funded.  We are all volunteers who strive to try and stop this current legislation before it becomes a costly legal battle for all of us and in the future watch for more type of this legislation at the onset.

I hope you will join us and keep sending in your testimonies.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Mahalo,

Danielle Gall

Membership Committee

membership@rboaa.org

• New Member 7 posts since
    Feb 29, 2012
    933. Mar 27, 2012 3:43 PM (in response to islandadventures)
    Attachments:
  • Contributor 144 posts since
    Feb 21, 2012
    934. Mar 27, 2012 11:25 PM (in response to hawaiipr)

HB2078 HD2 SD1 is back up again on Friday, March 30th.  This is a decision making meeting and NO live testimony is allowed but you can still submit written testimony.  Here is the notice:  http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2012/hearingnotices/HEARING_CPN_03-30-12_.HTM

And here is the link to submit testimony:  It must be in by Wednesday latest if you want to make sure that it gets into the committee.

http://capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=HB&billnumber=2078

• New Member 25 posts since
    Mar 17, 2012
    935. Mar 28, 2012 5:18 PM (in response to hawaiipr)

HB1706 has been deferred  until 03-30-12  9:30AM in conference room 229.  The hearing is at the same time and location as for HB2078.  Submit your testimony today if you can please

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=HB&billnumber=2078

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=HB&billnumber=1706

• jwe Contributor 284 posts since
    Feb 18, 2012
    936. Mar 28, 2012 5:34 PM (in response to luvmaui)

Does anyone know why it was deferred?

Did they hear verbal testimony today?

Will there be verbal testimony o Friday?

Mar 17, 2012
    937. Mar 28, 2012 5:43 PM (in response to jwe)

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2012/hearingnotices/HEARING_CPN_03-30-12_DEFER_.HTM

You cannot submit testimonies for HB1706, verbal or written.  Says so at the bottom of the page

"No testimony will be accepted"

I wonder what they're up to?

Feb 18, 2012
    938. Mar 28, 2012 6:02 PM (in response to cruisin9)

NEWS RELEASE - Action Requested

Below is a link to a RBOAA News Release which you can download and send to you local or national media, including business, travel and legal editors in print, TV and web based and social media.

Each of you can play a vital role in getting the word out.  Its best to call an individual first to let them know it is coming, then email it, then follow up again to make sure they received it and if they have any questions.

So everybody please pitch in and get the word out

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18145193/RBOAA%20Media%20Release.pdf

Feb 18, 2012
    939. Mar 28, 2012 6:05 PM (in response to luvmaui)

They probably feel they need more time to come up with more onerous

amendments 

Mar 17, 2012
  • msdebj Senior Contributor 1,359 posts since
    May 25, 2011
    941. Mar 28, 2012 8:22 PM (in response to luvmaui)

I've been following your posts and just have to say CONGRATS!  My career background is in the legislative branch of government, and you have been SO effective! NEVER give up!!

Debj

Feb 18, 2012
    942. Mar 28, 2012 8:34 PM (in response to msdebj)

Thanks very much for the words of encouragement Deb,

I have been wondering if the HI legislature is cut out of a different cloth

than most.

Or perhaps I just have not paid sufficient attention to how laws are created

before.

• Contributor 78 posts since
    Mar 18, 2012
    943. Mar 28, 2012 8:55 PM (in response to msdebj)

Ms Deb J.You're an Angel.  We've received virtually no encouragement, yet remained vigilant.  Your comments though really come at the right time.   THANK YOU!    I can't know precisely how you're looking at all of this since we don't know exactly who you are and/or your role in legislation, but I have one question and one comment for you.

First, the comment... I think that the perseverance and passion that the people working on this goes to show the type of people we are and it means we have the same passion, perseverance and attention to detail in how we manage our vacation rentals and our dedication to our guests.   I hope that somehow the legislature in Hawaii could step back and have an "aha" and see this too.

Next the question...from what you've seen and your knowledge of how to be effective, any suggestions or comments?  What should we do more of, what's working, what's not?  Or anything else you can do to help us decode this mystifying process?

In partial response to jwe above, ditto on the reflection that maybe had not paid sufficient attention to how laws are created.   We'll never again  look at this stuff about what legislators do, how laws are created  the same way we used to.  That's for sure.   So, hopefully the end result will have been one of learning and improving our contributions, not the other side of the coin, becoming jaded and throwing up out hands and saying it apparently just doesn't matter.

Mar 17, 2012
    944. Mar 29, 2012 11:53 AM (in response to cruisin9)

I'm on pins and needles for the last month with all these hearings and testimonies. 

1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 97 Previous Next

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)