Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
126920 Views 275 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2012 7:51 AM by j4922 RSS Branched to a new discussion. Go to original post 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19 Previous Next
  • thaxterlane Active Contributor 779 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    195. Dec 5, 2011 5:44 PM (in response to bobbie32)
    Re: VRBO not what it used to be...too bad!!

"I suspect that 90% of potential renters don't read the info available to them . . ."

I agree. I believe most renters view the photos, some may scan the list of amenities, and send off an email to the owner asking for all of the information contained in the text that accompanies the listing.

It's common to receive emails asking about dates (many websites warn against assuming dates are available until confirmed by owner), specific location (especially if the guest is unfamiliar with the area), and rate (there are owners that negotiate and this seems to have created an expectation of negotiation in many guests).

I too have a template that I work from to answer inquiries and it doesn't bother me to be asked questions.  My listing encourages people to ask as many questions about my home and the area as they like.  I consider providing information part of the process and I believe the more information I provide in my first response, the more of an edge I have over my competition!

Apologies for taking the conversation even further off topic . . . .

• Contributor 40 posts since
    May 17, 2011
    196. Dec 6, 2011 6:33 AM (in response to anja)

I did talk to an attorney ( just one opinion so better to get two or three) and he suggested writing to the legal Dept. At Vrbo. I did a search for Vrbo terms and conditions and found the part where I thought there was a violation. Vrbo is to advertise a single vacation rental property. It doesn't say along with ten options provided by Vrbo. In fact Vrbo isn't supposed to get involved in picking out properties for guests to review. There is an email address to write to if you feel the current policy violates the terms and conditions of the contract, perhaps legal@Vrbo.com. You could also sue them individually if you can show your business was less since the policy came into effect. See if you get a response to your email.

• Contributor 37 posts since
    Mar 30, 2011
    197. Dec 6, 2011 3:52 PM (in response to frustrated)

Dear Lynn,

It's not too late – there's still time to give the gift of travel with a BedandBreakfast.com
    gift card. Place an order of $250 or more and receive a free $75 gift card! Be sure to place
    your order by 12/25/11 and enter promo code BBGC75 at check-out to receive this
    fabulous offer.

Details:
    »BedandBreakfast.com gift cards are welcomed at over 4,000 B&Bs and inns across the U.S. and Canada
    »There are no blackout dates, never declines in value and never expires. Plus, it ships for free or instantly via email! Customize it with your own photo or choose from 25 gorgeous designs
    »This exclusive offer is only available until December 25th! To take advantage of this incredible offer enter promo code BBGC75 at check-out with your purchase of $250 or more

Hey all you wonderfully satisfied VRBO/HA  owners, I can't afford to commiserate with you as much as I would want but just had to add some fuel to the flames.  Every now and then I will, under a false name, ask for information about my property.  This allows me to see what VRBO and HA sends to these "prospects" as far as follow up mailings.  Today, this is what I recieved from VRBO.  See above message!

You may think, in a perfect world, that a company that took your money to represent you in the process of renting your vacation property may support you by sending a past prospect some sort of gift certificate toward a vacation rental.  The "gift of travel" could be toward one of us owners instead of an owner of a bed and breakfast, who does not pay for VRBO's services.

This company does an absolutley wonderful job at trying to make life miserable for the people that pay for their services.  Where is the conscience in all this?  I am a Texas Aggie, class of '77.  I bet this whole program was instigated and devised by some tea-sipping University of Texas alumni in Austin. Wanna bet???

• info@stayattremblant.com Active Contributor 540 posts since
    Aug 25, 2011
    198. Dec 6, 2011 4:01 PM (in response to tupelo77)

I'm not one to defend VRBO / HA as my level of frustration is quite high with their business practices.

However, I just wanted to mention that I did not make an inquiry on my property and I also did receive the same e-mail as above.  I don't think the advertisment above is related to e-mails sent to prospects as a follow-up.

Of course, that could mean it's worse -- they're spamming us as owners using their e-mail database.  But I don't see any conclusive evidence of this.

P.

• kristin.r Contributor 116 posts since
    Jun 1, 2011
    199. Dec 6, 2011 4:08 PM (in response to tupelo77)

Tupelo77

Its our lucky day isnt it.  I tried to copy and paste and couldn't.  I am glad you could.  Isn't that great you advertise and they use your advertisement to prey on your inquiries.  They own bedandbreakfast.com.

I have asked in a separate post that I would like answers from Travis about this.

Kristin

• anja Senior Contributor 1,555 posts since
    Aug 9, 2011

I, too, did NOT make a "self-inquiry".....and  I also got that same advertisement.  They are "marketing" to us, members....to use their gift card.   What did I think when I got that promo email?  I deleted it immediately.  I believe that it is possible to get "unsubscribed" from their "marketing" mail list.  Tell them you do not want  to receive their 'promo' emails.

• Contributor 40 posts since
    May 17, 2011
    201. Dec 6, 2011 7:19 PM (in response to tupelo77)

So a guest clicks on (chooses your property) inquire about your property and is redirected to an advertisement for another, completely different site, owned by VRBO.

This is just wrong. It s also I am certain, legally wrong. It's outrageous.

I have not heard back from legal@Vrbo.com. I hope the rest of you, instead of just venting, will go to the terms and conditions to read what they're actually supposed to do for us. Then, for yourself and the rest of us tell them we want them to change their policy to reflect the terms and conditions in the contract as follows: this is VRBOs terms and conditions as they pertain to our discussion:

"to offer for rent in a variety of pricing formats, A SPECIFIC VACATION RENTAL PROPERTY to potential renters . . . WE ARE NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION BETWEEN TRAVELERS AND MEMBERS even though we may from time to time provide tools that relate to a booking, SUCH AS A TOOL TO ENABLE A TRAVELER TO ENTER  INTO A TRANSACTION TO LEASE A SPECIFIC PROPERTY DIRECTLY FROM A MEMBER."

VRBO, redirecting TRAVELERS away from Booking a specific vacation rental is clearly not allowed, either by redirecting the traveler to ten options, after they've already made their choice,

Nor by redirecting the traveler to other, different types of properties not even on the website, such as bed and breakfasts, owned by VRBO. Clearly VRBO is in violation of their CONTRACT .

VRBO is involved in picking the ten properties, making them involved in the transaction. VRBI is involved in the transaction by marketing their own bed and breakfasts to the traveler who has already chosen our property!!!.

Sent from my iPad

• harborfields Contributor 205 posts since
    Jul 12, 2011
    202. Dec 6, 2011 7:50 PM (in response to tupelo77)

FWIW, I believe that BedandBreakfast.com is another subsidiary of the HomeAway juggernaut.

• marym Active Contributor 463 posts since
    Feb 10, 2011
    203. Dec 6, 2011 8:06 PM (in response to tupelo77)

tupelo77, I find this most recent example of HA/VRBO's cavalier attitude toward owners absolutely nauseating.  I received one as well - not as a reply to an inquiry, but just spam in my mailbox.  They really are dealing with us in bad faith.  Under the terms of the agreement, we (users) and third parties aren't allowed to troll the site and send spam...oh yeah, but they are...

Mar 30, 2011

Whether this posted advertisement was in response to a past inquiry by a prospective renter or given to all members of VRBO/HA, it does not matter.  What does matter is that this advertisement for bed and breakfast rentals, not our vacation rentals, comes from VRBO.  So, someone that once inquired about my property on VRBO gets a coupon for use at a bed and breakfast,  whose owner is represented  by another VRBO-owned company. This bed and breakfast owner did not pay for VRBO's services. And don't you think that if someone rents from a bed and breakfast, they are less likely to spend their vacation monies to rent a vacation rental from you or me? The knife is being twisted.  I mentioned class-action lawsuit many posts ago.  If there are any lawyers out there of if someone knows of any, this could be a "Rainmaker" suit. 

I would love to open my own website devoted to owners of vacation home rentals on the East Coast.  I checked domain names and all the good ones are taken already.  But I'm sure that someone or some business could take this business away from VRBO and give the service that VRBO used to give and make it extremely profitable for themselves and the owners that they serve.

Mar 30, 2011

PS.....The advertisement was sent to "Lynn".  This is the first name I used to inquire into my own rental site several months ago.  Lynn just might go with that bed and breakfast now, instead of renting from myself.  Boy, it must be later than I thought.  Am I confused!

• New Member 25 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    206. Dec 6, 2011 11:39 PM (in response to tupelo77)

I think there was someone on one of these threads in the process of starting an alternative site. 

Mar 30, 2011

Ok, one more post script then I am hitting the hay.  Let me explain that I received this advertisment, not addressed to Dan, but addressed to "Lynn", my middle name which I use to make inquiries of my own site.  I have not received this spam addressed to Dan, the name I use in my listing and the name I use when dealing with VRBO/HA.  Goodnight all.

• Contributor 26 posts since
    Nov 9, 2011
    208. Dec 7, 2011 1:28 PM (in response to frustrated)

I say WAKE UP  Mr. Sharples.  You are loosing customers as fast as you are buying up new one as you aquire new websites.  Your investors are going to get wise to this ponzi scheme.

If Mr. Sharples had actully built a business, he would understand that it costs a lot more to gain one customer than it does to treat your existing ones fairly and try to retain them.

I, for one, just had a group of 12 women arrive at one of our most Pristine "NON-SMOKING" homes.  From the moment they arrived, they all smelled like they had smoked 20 packs of cigarettes in a very small space.  I reminded them that this was a Non-smoking property and that the owners had sever allergies.  They  promised they would not smoke on the grounds.

Well, of course, upon departure the entire home wreaked of smoke and there were hundred of cigarette buts all over the property.  (Even stuffed into the patio furniture). 

DO I DARE KEEP THEIR DEPOSIT AND RISK A BAD REVIEW?  Heck no!  Even though it cost me a fortune to clean up their mess,  launder draperies and linens and steam clean furniture to eliminate the smell.

IS THIS FAIR?  ~ I THINK NOT

Wake up MR. SHARPLES ~ Listen to your paying customers!

• anja Senior Contributor 1,555 posts since
    Aug 9, 2011
    209. Dec 7, 2011 3:23 PM (in response to devinitra)

"devinitra".....Thank you so much for spending the time/ energy into scrutinizing the terms of the contract...and providing the background for the rest of us.  You know....I suspect that, any minute now "The Company" will get it's legal staff to tweek the terms online. And, all will be "good" for "The Company".

1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19 Previous Next

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points