Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
4547 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2012 11:04 AM by mattj RSS
New Member 2 posts since
Jul 21, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 21, 2011 5:20 PM

Help with a long term rental

Hi,

I would like to advertise my home for a long term rental.  Is there a way to do that on this site and if so..do people have much luck with long term rentals on here?  My home is in Louisville, KY..thanks so much!

• Contributor 145 posts since
    May 12, 2011
    Jul 21, 2011 9:20 PM (in response to kikilee33c)

Try Corporate Housing By Owner.  I have had excellent success with this site with stays anywhere from one month to six months or longer.  The renters have been excellent as they are a business cliental and in most cases the company is paying for the stay so they tend to pay my rate without question. http://corporatehousingbyowner.com/

• sfvacationhut Community All-Star 643 posts since
    Dec 31, 2010
    Aug 1, 2011 12:53 AM (in response to kikilee33c)

Ever since I started advertising on FlipKey / Trip Advisor, I have been getting lots of requests for stays of one month or more.  In fact, I got a 4-month booking through FlipKey / Trip Advisor ... and that was all set up up during my 2-month FREE trial period!  I could have canceled my FlipKey subscription and kept the 4-month booking, which I would have gotten for free.    Of course, I did renew with FlipKey and buy an annual subscription because of all the response I was getting.   Thanks to FlipKey, I now have a one-month minimum.  I'm fully booked (except for 2 different one-week spots remaining) between now and March 7, 2012.  After that, I'm asking for a one-month minimum. 

This summer (2011), people have been inquiring about staying for a week or two, in April, May, and June 2012, but I have been turning them down.  Thanks to the large amount of requests for month-plus bookings through FlipKey, I'm HOPING I will get the one-month-plus bookings next year.  If the one-month-plus bookings don't materialize, then about 6 weeks before March 7, I will start accepting bookings of less than one month.

• berkeley New Member 19 posts since
      Jun 1, 2011
      Aug 1, 2011 8:36 AM (in response to sfvacationhut)

What is the minimum stay you recommend that may help get longer than 3-nights inquiries? what has worked for you?

• berkeley New Member 19 posts since
        Jun 1, 2011
        Aug 1, 2011 8:39 AM (in response to berkeley)

Also, is your monthly rate lower than your weekly rate? any advise on pricing differences for weekly and monthly would be appreciated.

• sfvacationhut Community All-Star 643 posts since
          Dec 31, 2010
          Aug 1, 2011 6:00 PM (in response to berkeley)
          Re: Help with a long term rental

I am asking for a minimum of one month (30 days).

Otherwise, our calendar will get booked up with smaller bookings.   And then .... when the monthly people come a-calling, I won't have a big enough space in the calendar to acommodate them.

Our weekly rate is $900 + 15% tax, so that comes to $1035.

Including tax, the revenue for one month, fully booked with one week sessions is ($900 x 4) + tax = $3600 + $535 = $4135.00  That's what the guests are paying, but of course we only get $3600.

Our monthly rent is $2700, and no taxes, so it's just $2700.00.

We get less money for a monthly renter, compared to weekly renters ($2700 vs $3600), but it's worth it for us, not to have to do so many changeovers.  Also, we spend about $200 on maid service, transit passes, welcome gifts, wine, groceries, etc, for each new guest ..... so if we have three less changeovers, that's a savings of $600, compared to $3600.  Therefore, when you compare apples to oranges, it's really more like comparing $3000 booked weekly to $2700 booked monthly.

• New Member 3 posts since
    Mar 21, 2012
    Mar 30, 2012 11:04 AM (in response to kikilee33c)
    Re: Help with a long term rental

Try www.metrosetter.com, it is a new site only targeted for 30+ day (monthly) furnished rentals.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points