Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
55673 Views 150 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2013 1:48 PM by swlinphx RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Previous Next
  • bobbie32 Senior Contributor 1,084 posts since
    May 21, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Nov 9, 2013 8:01 PM (in response to swlinphx)
    Re: Is HomeAway Connect shutting down?

Sorry...but I don't like the look.  I like something very simple and a separate page - and not embedded.  I don't think it will be that difficult keeping two calendars up to date.  I am a mac user and use iCal for my personal calendar via the cloud, but I do not like it for my website, no matter how you configure it.  And I don't like the Google calendar at all. Neither is simple enough for me.  The one that I am thinking about using is as simple as HomeAway Connect.  I just need to confirm if they can split the days with a diagonal line for check-in and check-out.  We will see...   

• swlinphx Senior Contributor 2,191 posts since
    Aug 30, 2011
    61. Nov 9, 2013 8:24 PM (in response to bobbie32)

When you say you want a "separate page" what do you mean?  That has nothing to do with Google, just how you set up your website.

Also, you say you don't want it embedded?  So you just want a blue hyperlink for guests to click you mean?  Then just put a link as I mentioned above to your HomeAway listing.  Or am I misunderstanding what it is you're trying to do?  I am getting confused with what people are writing here as it seems they do not understand their options or how imported/subscribed and embedded calendars work.

Also, I am almost 100% sure you won't find a generic calendar service (even a full-featued one like Google Calendar) that will split days in half like that unless it is a dedicated vacation rental or reservation calendar, which the paid service you describe does not seem to be.  Nevermind, I double-checked and the service you described does seem like a vacation rental calendar, but beware that many of even those don't use half-day slashes and instead leave the check-out day wide open.

I for one love having all my units individually color-coded in different color bars on one calendar on my Google site and the numerous ways you can customize it as per all the parameters I specified in my instructions above.  And again, it's free! 

The only issue is the floating time zone import (which I described how to work around above) and that HomeAway will export it as "RESERVE" instead of "RESERVED".

The only service of Google's many in their arsenal that I don't like is "Google+".  They are trying to shove that failing social network down people's throats, to the point that they altered YouTube's sacred comment area to force them to enroll in that social app simply to comment on a video.  The backlash has been overwhelming and almost 100% negative!

May 21, 2011
    62. Nov 9, 2013 11:02 PM (in response to swlinphx)

Oh dear...maybe I am not making myself clear...novice here, which I readily admit...

And somehow I am now unable to attach screen shots.  But I am trying to attach screen shot from someone's site that used this service.  And yes, it appears that they do in fact offer a diagonal line -  just trying to confirm it before I sign up for the free 30-day trial.  Actually HomeAway Connect does not have a diagonal. 

I am not up on the terminology, but I want what I have had with HomeAway Connect - click on the word "AVAILABILITY" and the the calendar appears. I do not know how to describe it other than that. 

I only have the one unit and I would like just two colors on a calendar - either white and red, like it has been, or white and gray. I only have two things showing - available and booked.  Actually I have used "blocked" rather than booked on the VRBO site, but it looks the same on the VRBO site. I prefer not to show tentative bookings as I always use that excuse when I don't think "the fit" is right.  And of course I really like to keep waiting lists should someone's desired timeframe become available. Waiting lists have really helped through the years with so many repeat guests.

I really have no comment about Google...we have had many guests that work at Google as well as Apple. They have usually been great guests! 

Edited...

May 21, 2011
    63. Nov 9, 2013 9:27 PM (in response to bobbie32)

Here is the screen shot...I finally figured out what I was doing wrong.  In any case, you can choose the colors you want to use.  It is very simple.

Screen shot 2013-11-09 at 6.19.07 PM.png

May 21, 2011
    64. Nov 9, 2013 9:35 PM (in response to bobbie32)

And here is the screen shot showing the diagonal lines. 

Screen shot 2013-11-09 at 7.33.42 PM.png

Aug 30, 2011
    65. Nov 9, 2013 11:16 PM (in response to bobbie32)

And somehow I am now unable to attach screen shots.

Yeah you are.  Remember when we had this discussion before and I showed you how to do screen shots on a Mac?  You were able to then.

Actually HomeAway Connect does not have a diagonal.

Oh, well in that case why wouldn't Google Calendar work just to display on one's own personal website, as that was the only thing I could think that it didn't do.

I am not up on the terminology, but I want what I have had with HomeAway Connect - click on the word "AVAILABILITY" and the the calendar appears. I do not know how to describe it other than that.

But again, you can do that for free.  If you just wanted them to click on the word "Availability" and then see a calendar you could simply link that to your VRBO calendar to open in a separate page, using the link

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p567890#calendar (substituting your property ID of course).

Alternatively, you can use Google Calendar.  If you don't want the calendar embedded on the same page, you can simply embed the Google Calendar calendar on another page of your site and link to that page for it to show.  Either way, you can have them open in the same browser window or a different one.

I only have the one unit and I would like just two colors on a calendar - either white and red, like it has been, or white and gray. I only have two things showing - available and booked.

You can do that easily (plus a whole lot more) free with Google Calendar -- as I explained above.

Aug 30, 2011
    66. Nov 9, 2013 11:15 PM (in response to bobbie32)

Wait, which screen shot is that of?  You posted two screen shots so which is which?

May 21, 2011
    67. Nov 10, 2013 9:31 AM (in response to swlinphx)

But again, you can do that for free.  If you just wanted them to click on the word "Availability" and then see a calendar you could simply link that to your VRBO calendar to open in a separate page, using the link

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p567890#calendar(substituting your property ID of course).

I will respond more later...but a big issue for me is not sending a possible renter to VRBO if they found my website through another host site or through Google AdWords.  I certainly don't want to send someone to a site with other competing rentals listed if they have never been on that site before.  We do have people find us through destination-type sites and I don't want to be the one to introduce someone to VRBO.  Sorry, but I would rather not do that. 

As for the screen shots - the first one is an example from a single vacation rental website and the second screen shot is from the availabilitycalendar.com website.  I have sent them an email asking them to confirm that you can indeed use diagonal lines.  We will see what they say. 

As for a Google Calendar, if I could get a similar calendar as the screen shot above that would be great since it is so similar to HomeAway Connect.  But I also do not know how to add a page to my website.  My website was designed by someone else in 2002, and that designer is no longer designing websites.  All I do is simple fixes.  And since I am not going to be renting for many more years, I probably will not have another website designed - makes no sense. 

If I can get a calendar for $12/year that would be great. If it is much more than that (like $112/year), then maybe I will dump the calendar entirely. We have many facilities in our area with no calendar - probably okay if we don't want to book much.   We will see...

Aug 30, 2011
    68. Nov 10, 2013 1:06 AM (in response to bobbie32)

I will respond more later...but a big issue for me is not sending a possible renter to VRBO if they found my website through another host site or through Google AdWords.  I certainly don't want to send someone to a site with other competiting rentals listed if they have never been on that site before.  We do have people find us through destination-type sites and I don't want to be the one to introduce someone to VRBO.  Sorry, but I would rather not do that.

Well of course that makes sense.  I just didn't know for sure if that was your goal or how much you rely on your personal website vs. HomeAway and the others.  For us, we get most of our bookings (almost all) via VRBO/HomeAway, FlipKey/TripAdvisor and sometimes Rentalo.  We're not concerned if there are no slashes on our personal site, which is actually a site I created for the whole community here, not just me.  Also, I have got it down so I never have to update more than one calendar.  I don't want to go back to doing multiple ones per reservation.  In fact, if using ReservationManager, it is automatically updated so I never do manual updates, yet all my calendars (HomeAway, VRBO, FlipKey, TripAdvisor and my personal site) update automatically.

As for the screen shots - the first one is an example from a single vacation rental website and the second screen shot is from the availabilitycalendar.com website.  I have sent them an email asking them to confirm that you can indeed use diagonal lines.  We will see what they say.

So the first screen shot is from HomeAwayConnect?  That's what it looks like.  The second is from the paid site.  HomeAway Connect was a very basic calendar.  I don't know what people would have against Google Calendar compared to that -- it is a step up in my opinion.

May 21, 2011
    69. Nov 10, 2013 9:34 AM (in response to swlinphx)

So the first screen shot is from HomeAwayConnect?  That's what it looks like.  The second is from the paid site.  HomeAway Connect was a very basic calendar.  I don't know what people would have against Google Calendar compared to that -- it is a step up in my opinion.

No, the first screen shot is from a website that uses availabilitycalendar.com.  Yes, it looks a lot like HomeAway Connect, which is why I am considering using this service. And yes, I just got an email from them that states that I can use the split days - Yeah!!!

Aug 30, 2011
    70. Nov 10, 2013 10:42 AM (in response to bobbie32)

Okay, you're leaving something out here.  You're saying both are using that paid service yet look completely different?  Are they customizable or what, or is one a view when editing and the other the public view?

May 21, 2011
    71. Nov 10, 2013 12:18 PM (in response to swlinphx)

I found the full example showing a year by finding someone that uses that site (availabilitycalendar.com) for their calendar.  I liked what I saw. So then after visiting the host site, I contacted customer support for availiabiitycalendar.com and asked some questions since the one month they show on their site was confusing - some split days and some full days - see previous most showing second screen shot. 

Sorry, if this is not clear.  I thought the 2 screen shots would explain it all.  One is an example from someone, like me, that uses the site and the other is taken off of the host site.  

May 21, 2011
    72. Nov 10, 2013 11:03 AM (in response to bobbie32)

PS...You can customize the calendar - pick your own colors and choose to use split days or not. 

Aug 30, 2011
    73. Nov 10, 2013 11:18 AM (in response to bobbie32)

Well, that is what I inferred but you never mentioned that.  You posted two completely looking screen shots but never made mention they were from the same software or service so there was no way to know what you were trying to show or comparing or contrasting.

May 21, 2011
    74. Nov 10, 2013 12:30 PM (in response to swlinphx)

But I am trying to attach screen shot from someone's site that used this service.

Sorry, I think you missed what I had previously written (above), when I was having difficultly posting a screen shot.

My error was not posting where I had taken the second screen shot (showing possible split days) - from the host site. Sorry about that...

In any case...I will call HA/VRBO customer support tomorrow and see if I can just get the url to work when I go to the the edit calendar page on HA.  When I click on export calendar data (or something like that), I have been unsuccessful in copying and getting the url (that HA has posted) to work on my own website.  I have tried multiple times and all I get is an error message when I click on AVAILABILITY on my own website.  If I can get it to work and see how it works, then I may go that route.  I think the url they have posted for my calendar may be wrong. 

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Previous Next

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points