Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
2735 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2013 8:20 PM by swlinphx RSS
mudstump Contributor 140 posts since
Nov 13, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 18, 2013 6:39 PM

How do I access a guest's profile?

I hesitate to ask this question because it is probably obvious but, I'm missing it.  I had a recent guest inquiry from someone who was very proud of the fact that they had a Homeaway profile.  She asked me if I had a chance to check it out.  In the inquiry I found a link by her name that said something like "profile"...I can't remember exactly.  I was able to look at her profile through the inquiry link however, I can't seem to find a place to check if someone has a profile.  She had a photo of herself and her family and a short paragraph about themselves and their love of travel etc...

It was also interesting that she felt she was more qualified and reliable because she did have a profile.  I have to admit that after seeing their photo and reading about them...I did too.

Does anyone know how to view someone's profile etc?  Sorry if this is obvious and I'm just missing it

• beth HomeAway Employee 1,011 posts since
    Jan 20, 2012
    Sep 18, 2013 8:44 PM (in response to mudstump)
    Re: How do I access a guest's profile?

Just spoke to our Traveler Product Marketing Manager - you can only access a traveler's profile via their inquiry. So right now there isn't a way to search travelers, but we're considering it for the future!

Beth

Community Manager

• sage Community All-Star 966 posts since
      Jul 4, 2012
      Sep 18, 2013 10:32 PM (in response to beth)

Yow, am I to understand that under consideration is to allow us to view profiles of travelers other than those submitting inquiries? 

right now there isn't a way to search travelers, but we're considering it for the future!

Sure, that could be interesting from a voyeuristic perspective, but to expose the type of personal information some of those profiles contain to people who have no need for it sounds like it would raise serious privacy issues, and should make travelers hesitant to include any personal information.  That, in turn, would make profiles less useful.

If a traveler chooses to prepare a profile, I do consider it a positive factor, and it helps my vetting process.  With the link in an inquiry to view the profile, it gives me access to all profiles for which I have legitimate need.  I would oppose any requirement that a traveler complete a profile as a condition of submitting an inquiry.  There are a few people who still seek to minimize the dissemination of their personal information, and I would hope that we can welcome them as travelers along with those who overshare.

• mike-dfv Community All-Star 831 posts since
        Mar 5, 2011
        Sep 19, 2013 7:15 AM (in response to sage)

I'm with Sage on this one. I appreciate the profiles, but equally appreciate privacy.

• joan.l Active Contributor 425 posts since
      Sep 30, 2012
      Dec 6, 2013 6:11 AM (in response to beth)

"you can only access a traveler's profile via their inquiry"

do you mean the VERY basic info the traveler includes with his inquiry (name, phone, email address)?   I just looked at recent inquiries and don't see any means to access their profile...except the very basic info they provide in their inquiry...(and sometimes no phone is included)

• carol Senior Contributor 2,152 posts since
        Dec 10, 2010
        Dec 6, 2013 9:31 AM (in response to joan.l)

I've seen some inquiries with a link to a profile, but not all.  Creating a profile is voluntary for the traveler, so you will not see the profile link every time.

• swlinphx Senior Contributor 2,192 posts since
          Aug 30, 2011
          Dec 17, 2013 8:20 PM (in response to carol)

I think if someone is seriously looking for a vacation rental on a large network like HomeAway or VRBO (or others) that they should be required to have a profile as part of the registration process.  Again, it only need contain things like name, contact info, city they are from, ages and basic travel needs or habits.  It also should link to every review they have left.  That would contribute to a more fair give-and-take system between "buyer" and "seller" as it works well on sites like AirBnB or even eBay.  That way the traveler too has an investment and accountability to be responsible.

However, I agree that their profile should only be accessible to those owners or managers receiving an inquiry from them.

• steveb New Member 2 posts since
    Nov 23, 2013
    Dec 4, 2013 1:56 AM (in response to mudstump)

More importantly I think there should be a way for owners/property managers to review and provide feedback on customers/guests.  Does that already exist?  I haven't been able to find it.  I recently had an inquiry that I wasn't sure about, they had a profile but there was very little information there, very little.  The had provided feedback on a couple of properties but there was no way of knowing where the properites were and no link to the properties, we should be able to click on a link to view the property and perhaps the owner's feedback on the guest and how things went.  We all want this to be a happy place for owners and guests, one that both can confidently recommend to others.

• steveb New Member 2 posts since
      Nov 23, 2013
      Dec 10, 2013 9:33 PM (in response to steveb)

How much information do you get from a guest?  What questions do you ask, what is appropriate and inappropriate?  I have some idea but want to hear from others.

• carol Senior Contributor 2,152 posts since
        Dec 10, 2010
        Dec 11, 2013 10:56 AM (in response to steveb)

I like to get name, phone, hometown, email, number & approximate ages of guests, purpose of visit, and whether they have ever been to my town before.  

What is inappropriate?  Well, the Fair Housing Act prevents landlords from discriminating on the basis of national origin, race, color, sex, familial status, and disability, so you really shouldn't ask about those .  Your state may have further restrictions, e.g. age, gender identiy, or sexual orientation.   While many vacation rentals are not covered under the FHA rules, it's important to understand them.  

Here's an article on the topic:

http://community.homeaway.com/docs/DOC-1681

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)