Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
17311 Views 55 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2013 1:38 PM by evan RSS
New Member 1 posts since
May 2, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 2, 2011 11:23 AM

Is having a land line phone important?

Hi we have a condo on Marco island and have owned and rented it for a year. we have had a land line phone for the whole time and it is rarely used. is it important to have a land line?

Thanks

Gary

• New Member 3 posts since
    Apr 12, 2011
    May 2, 2011 3:58 PM (in response to grmarco)

Hi.  we have been renting our beach home for 2 years now, and have had 1 complaint there was not a land line.  i think it would be a MUST if you do not have good cell service.

• Contributor 166 posts since
    Mar 30, 2011
    May 2, 2011 5:25 PM (in response to grmarco)

We have a land line in all our properties. But in one unit it hasn't worked in over 3 months. We have an issue with DSL with the phone lines. We asked people to use their cell phones. Haven't had a complaint yet. Plus I think most people bring their cells and prefer using it. I might try Magic Jack since that will help save money. Just not sure if it's good. Has anyone tried it and if so have they had any success with it?

• New Member 14 posts since
    Apr 27, 2011
    May 25, 2011 10:56 AM (in response to grmarco)

I think a land line is important I have rented some really great places and most of the time cell service is terrible, One place I went to, you could only get cell service in the garage in one little spot. My husband about freaked when he could not reach me.

I like knowing if a emergency came up my family could call in, or I could call out.

If calling  911, they have a better since of where you are

• New Member 2 posts since
      May 25, 2011
      May 25, 2011 11:16 AM (in response to diamondgirl)

Ditto!  Landlines with free US long distance are very affordable and I believe a necessary emergency tool to provide for my guests.  Cell phone signals at the beach are all terrible...you will see people standing in the middle island of the street or hanging off balconies trying to find just the right spot to get a little signal!  Also, as a landlord of 40 years, if there is a serious medical emergency or fire emergency, I want a land line available!  The phone service will block the ability of costly international calls.

• New Member 3 posts since
    May 25, 2011
    May 25, 2011 3:11 PM (in response to grmarco)

We don't have a landline, but do have a phone service that uses the computer (we leave a laptop in the office of our rental home and have wifi). It's a service called Magicjack, which is a great cost saving way of having a landline, but not paying another huge monthly expense.  It's $19.95 per year, and is very easy to install.  You plug it into your computer/laptop, and into your phone, and it has great reception.  I tell my guests that they need to leave the computer on in order for the magicjack phone to work, and so far, it's been fine.  We get free local and long distance in the US and Canada, and are able to block so that calls cannot be made outside those areas.

We tried going without a phone at first, but got lots of request to add one.  Having a phone is essential for emergencies, and having a local number makes it easier for guests to order a pizza delivery (as Pizza hut will ask for local number when taking the order). 

There are some other options that you could use, that involve the computer, which I haven't tried, like Skype etc. We have found the magicjack service to be cost effective and useful for us.  Hope this helps someone looking for ideas!

• kervin.krause New Member 5 posts since
      Mar 30, 2011
      Dec 28, 2011 12:05 AM (in response to desertsun)
      Re: Is having a land line phone important?

Aloha EveryOne!

We removed the landline since no one used it. Everyone has cell phones, the Europeans use the US sim chips and no complaints. But recently we had Australians for a month who had to share one cell phone. I decided to add a phone using AT&T Uverse and it was a nightmare! In the end it was never installed and the Aussies still left very happy! Now we have a family from the UK who only have email access so I gave them a pay as you go local cell phone for $20. I am going to add the VOIP phone service as recommended here. Better safe than sorry! The only caveat is I will use Obi100 VOIP since it has much better reviews on Amazon.

Good luck EveryOne in 2012!

• markemerson New Member 5 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    May 27, 2011 11:02 PM (in response to grmarco)

Eight years ago, a land line was important, and we had one in every unit. Seven years ago, people started asking about internet access, and we added WiFi.  Six years ago it became obvious that all of our guests were using their cell phones, and we were paying for a service that nobody used, so the phones were removed.  Last summer a tree fell, and pulled that spiderweb of telephone lines to the ground, so we had them cut, and we no longer have that ugly tangle of useless wires cluttering up the sky.  If cell phones ever go out of favor, and we absolutely need to have land lines again, the new wires can go underground, just like the electricity and cable.

• Contributor 166 posts since
      Mar 30, 2011
      Jun 1, 2011 5:35 PM (in response to markemerson)

I agree. Most of our guests use their cell phone. We have had one cabin which has had no phone for two years and only got one complaint. I might use Magic Jack but the only problem is the computer has to be turned on all the time.

Everyone these days are using cell. The only issue is when you have a very secluded rental, if you do I would get land line.

• ttaylor0 Active Contributor 426 posts since
    Apr 1, 2011
    Jun 2, 2011 9:23 PM (in response to grmarco)

We DO NOT have a land line and have never had a complaint.

• firstgreen Contributor 23 posts since
    Mar 7, 2011
    Jun 6, 2011 1:43 PM (in response to grmarco)

As we provide free wifi, offering a phone isn't much of an extra cost. Guests use it to book restaurants and it keeps their cell charges down when travelling.

• sfvacationhut Community All-Star 643 posts since
    Dec 31, 2010
    Jun 8, 2011 11:52 AM (in response to grmarco)

We provide land line phone, with no long distance service. It's just for making local calls.

I think at least half of our guests use it .... as other members in the community have said, it's great for making calls to the pizza delivery place and what-not.  To make long distance domestic and internatonal calls, we encourage the guests to buy a calling card at Walgreens or any other corner store, which is only a few blocks walk away.

Here is an example of how the land line phone really comes in handy.

We had some guests who came in from overseas, and their cell phone did not work in the U.S.  Their luggage got lost / delayed / rerouted ... and they were so happy that they had a local phone number to provide to the airline.  When the airline company found their luggage, they called and left a message on the answering machine.  (The couple was out getting dinner).  When the couple got home, they checked the answering machine and were able to call right back from the land-line phone and get their luggage.  The young couple told me they were so happy and relieved that we had a land line phone for this purpose!

Also, personally I required a land line wherever I live.

In case of a major emergency, the cell phones get jammed, or if the power goes out, you have no way to charge your cell phone ... but if you have a regular plug-in land-line phone (not a cordless phone), it normally works, even if the power goes out.

• New Member 7 posts since
    Mar 30, 2011
    Jun 8, 2011 1:57 AM (in response to grmarco)

We provide a land line  for local calls (no long distance service).  I'm afraid it's a must for emergencies, etc. since we live in a secluded area and sometimes the signals for cell phones drop out. I also think that guests from far away appreciate not having to be charged a high fee to use their cell phones for local calls.

• lillyfan New Member 18 posts since
    Jun 10, 2011
    Jun 14, 2011 9:47 PM (in response to grmarco)

I, too, have a landline, and have recently found out it doesn't work (and has not been working for months, though I have been paying $35/mo for the service). I would like to get rid of it to save some money, however, I have not because in the back of my mind I have been concerned that as owners we would be liable if there was an emergency and we didn't have a landline. Does anyone know if there are legal ramifications?

I've had just a few instances where an older couple has rented our town home, and they don't own a cell phone.

• marym Active Contributor 463 posts since
    Feb 10, 2011
    Jun 15, 2011 8:50 PM (in response to grmarco)

We have a land land that has local service only - on the island where our home is situated as well as the surrounding main land.  We've found it important as our internet works in conjunction with it and the emergency 911 line as well.  We've found that as most of our guests have cell phones and as cell phone reception is improving on the island, it really isn't an issue but for the computer/911.

• New Member 12 posts since
    Feb 25, 2011
    Jun 16, 2011 9:10 AM (in response to grmarco)

i think only if there is no cell service.

• finndian@gmail.com Contributor 32 posts since
    Sep 28, 2011
    Nov 29, 2011 3:10 PM (in response to grmarco)

I have good cell phone service in the area so no land line for me.  However, I have a cordless phone set with 4 handsets around the unit and the base unit will pair with the renters cell phones (two different ones).  They can leave their cell phones on the desk but answer any calls to it from the cordless handsets.  The can also use the handset to make calls on their cell lines even transferring their phone directories over.  I think people forget they are using their own cell phone service.

People that have Gmail as their email service can be reminded that going to their gmail inbox that there is a little green phone icon on the lower left of their screen that offers free country wide calling.  You just dial and speak at your laptop screen microphone.  No charge.

• Contributor 60 posts since
      Sep 21, 2011
      Dec 3, 2011 9:11 AM (in response to finndian@gmail.com)

If your rental is in the US and your guests are mainly from the US, it's not a big deal. They will likely use their cell phones. My rental is in the US and the bulk of guests are Canadian. Cell phone use out of the country costs them a fortune. I advertise a landline with free local & long distance calling between Canada & the US. It's only $22/month and it's been pointed out that it's a huge benefit. I personally would want a landline if I was travelling out of my own country.

• Currently Being Moderated
      Jul 26, 2012 10:55 AM (in response to finndian@gmail.com)

This to anyone reading this thread to determine what is needed in their newly listed vacation rental.  Yes, you can add a phone for your guests and come up with a million reasons to pay the expense... you can do the same with a foot massager.  But the truth is no one will ever ask you for either... nor will the lack of phone end up in your reviews. 

If you have poor cell phone service in your area it may be an issue but to add it for no reason other than some disaster scenario that the sun flare storm has prevented them from calling 911 as well as them forgetting a charger cord for their only phone is far flung.

On second thought.... get the foot massager!  THAT, I promise you will show up in your reviews, the phone line will not.

Dec 31, 2010
        Jul 26, 2012 7:57 PM (in response to moltened)

moltened wrote:

This to anyone reading this thread to determine what is needed in their newly listed vacation rental.  Yes, you can add a phone for your guests and come up with a million reasons to pay the expense... you can do the same with a foot massager.  But the truth is no one will ever ask you for either... nor will the lack of phone end up in your reviews.

If you have poor cell phone service in your area it may be an issue but to add it for no reason other than some disaster scenario that the sun flare storm has prevented them from calling 911 as well as them forgetting a charger cord for their only phone is far flung.

Hi moltened,

We try to outfit our place with all the conveniences of home, and for me, one of these conveniences is a land line phone.  We provide plenty of things that never show up in the guest reviews (eye masks, manicure kit, spa bath kit with loofa sponges, cotton massage bath mits, etc).  It doesn't matter that the things don't show up in the reviews.  If it's something I would want, living there, then it's something I would expect the guests to appreciate. Even if they don't mention it in a review.

And, in my opinion, the need for something besides one's own cell phone is very common.  Imagine you are a solo traveler staying in a vacation rental with only your cell phone, no land line servicee.

1)  What do you do when you're at the vacation rental and can't find your cell phone?  How do you call it?

2) What do you do when your smart phone runs out of batteries?  I've got a smart phone (android), and when I plug it into the charger, it says "Not enough charge to start.  Please wait until later." For my phone, I have to wait at least an hour for it to re-charge enough to start.  If there's no land line, I'm stuck for at least an hour with no phone at all. THAT SUCKS.  Next time I stay somewhere will no land line, maybe I WILL mention that bit of unthoughtful frugality (on the owner's part) in my review.

3) What do you do when you want to receive an important call, such as for a phone interview?  My cell phone sometimes drops calls or even runs out of batteries in the middle of the call.  Other times my cheek accidentally presses against the touch screen, causing me to inadvertently hang up on the person while we're talking.  UGH!  My cell phone is great, but goodness gracious, it is not for very important conversations like a job interview.  Yes, I could get a different cell phone provider, and a different phone, but I'm sure many of our guests have similar phones and similar cell phone providers, so they will have the same problems.

4) What do you do when your cell phone stops working; the screen cracks or malfunctions, it gets lost, it gets stolen, it falls in the toilet, etc.  This stuff happens all the time. You will no longer have a phone AT ALL when the cell phone goes AWOL.  And that is FRIGGIN' inconvenient.

5) Power outages are very common.  Every year in the U.S., we've got whole REGIONS that go without power, for days on end ... due to floods, ice storms, blizzards, earthquakes, thunderstorms, all sorts of things. Gosh, I remember we just had a big power outage on the East Coast THIS VERY MONTH of July 2012.   People on the East Coast were out of power for 3 or more days.  When the power goes out, a regular land line phone (not cordless) will still work, but cell phones are difficult to re-charge.

So .. yes, you can skimp on the land line phone service and NOT provide that convenience to your guests. Obviously you can weigh the pro's and con's in terms of costs and benefits.   However, the chance that someone might need or want a regular phone, in addition to one's cell phone, is not far-flung at all.

Jul 26, 2012 6:10 PM (in response to sfvacationhut)

I charge $500 a night during the summer and my reviews talk about it being the best stocked home they've every stayed in.  The comments always say that I've thought of everything.  I really do listen to what people ask for and try to anticipate the things they don't but find thoughtful touches.

I would be more worried about new guests getting calls from overseas in the middle of the night meant for the previous guests.  Its just seems an unnecessary potential trouble source I just don't need.

I allow up to 5 people to stay in my units and ask for 25% more rent (and often get it) for 6 people ... I just don't like the wear and tear of more than 5.  I've never had a group of 5 stay here with just one phone to share nor have I ever had one person rent a unit.  More likely I have 2 to 6 cell phones in my units at any given time.  Most guests have brought car chargers for their rental cars.  Remember, we are heading into the second generation of savvy cell phone users here.  I'm just not buying the one precious cell phone scenario with no charging options in a black out.  Its far flung at least here in Los Angeles.

I've converted one kitchen counter plug to also have 2 USB ports for easy phone or laptop charging.  I have links ready for anyone that needs email fax service while staying here.  Now, I've been thinking about supplying a type of cordless phone to longer term renters that I bought for myself that I love.  It links up to 2 different cellphones via bluetooth and rings all the phones 4 handsets with distintive rings (including voice caller ID) when a call comes in on either cell phone. 

In other words the incoming cellphone call can be answered without touching the cell phone or taking it out of your purse and a call can be made on these cordless handsets using either cell phone line, even accessing phone number directories on the cell phones to make the call.  THAT is worth it... it has nothing to do with being "frugal" here.  Its just has to make sense OR a couple guests have to request it and NOT be a potential trouble source.  NO guest has ever request a land line or expected one in my experience.

• thaxterlane Active Contributor 782 posts since
          Jul 27, 2011
          Jul 26, 2012 6:33 PM (in response to sfvacationhut)

I think you've covered everything while I've been trying to figure out the foot massager. 

My land line is a very small monthly expense and, as a forum member already noted, it's often bundled with the cable and internet for a very attractive price.  If I didn't bundle these 3 services I would be spending as much if not more for the cable and internet services. 

I have three floors of space, a handset for each - my guests don't need to carry their cell phone as they move about the house, unless they wish to have it on hand.  A telephone is handy for ordering pizza (programed), checking the weather (programed), and other such routine calls.

I provide a land line as a convenience for my guests and, as I wrote earlier, for safety reasons, no matter how infrequently publicsafety warnings are issued.  If your property is not on a public safety alert network, then this isn't an issue for you.  But, when there's a hurricane approaching, or a deadline for evacuating, or power lines down / road closures, I want my guests to be informed. 

Owners have a choice, unless the cell service is unreliable.  Don't overlook that service varies from carrier to carrier; one carrier will be stable and clear,another will drop calls, and  a third may be unavailable.  If you have reliable cell service for all major carriers you can certainly decide to do without a land line.   Or you can provide it as a convenience.for your guests. 

I don't anticipate my guests mentioning the land line in a review - did someone have concerns about this at an earlier point in this discussion?

A land line is a simple and inexpensive convenience.   That's all. 

Best to everyone. 

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
    • sophie Senior Contributor 969 posts since
      Mar 4, 2011
      Jul 18, 2012 6:36 PM (in response to alliee)

alliee wrote:

Greater Security

Landlines are also necessary for many home alarm systems so that the system can automatically notify the alarm company by phone during a potential break-in.

This is no longer true.  Most alarm systems are all wireless now and you don't need a home phone.
  • New Member 20 posts since
    Apr 14, 2012
    Jul 18, 2012 5:49 PM (in response to grmarco)

Has anyone tried Ooma Telo? It's an internet based phone and gets the strongest costomer reviews of any out there. I'd like to hear any feedback with rentals and this option.

• New Member 1 posts since
    Jul 26, 2012
    Jul 26, 2012 9:08 AM (in response to grmarco)

Most of our guests are from out of town, and having a landline is useful for them.  Cell phone incur high roaming charges, and in the unlikely event of calling 911, the emergency team will know where to go.  In addition, we must offer TV and internet, so getting the bundle discount of adding a phone is not much extra and includes free long distance.  Then our Senior guests will benefit having a landline to make and receive local and long distance calls.

• thaxterlane Active Contributor 782 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    Jul 26, 2012 9:47 AM (in response to grmarco)

I realize this is an old thread, but I want to add a few words about the usefulness of a land line that I do not believe have been mentioned.

Our landline is registered with local emergency and public safety authorities for receiving calls that inform us of emergency conditions in our area.

Weather, utility, travel and other emergency information is called into this land line.  It doesn't happen very often, but I believe it's critical for guests to receive this information directly.

There is an obvious and easy to use message feature on the cordless base, if they miss the call. 

Cell phone service is generally good, but I can't count on guests receiving information they may need without the land line. 

Plus, their "help line", my telephone number, is programmed into the phone.  Although my telephone number is provided in all of the literature I send my guests, the majority of calls I receive from the house are on the land line.   My guests don't seem to enter my contact info into their phones, which is what I always do when I rent/travel.

Just a couple of reasons to have a land line . . . .

Edited to include:

I also have programed the hospital emergency room, poison control, police and fire (in addition to 911), and other local numbers that might be useful.  These numbers are printed in my literatture and in my house binder, but when you have an urgent question it's likely not a good time to be looking up a telephone number. 

Dec 31, 2010
      Jul 26, 2012 10:26 AM (in response to thaxterlane)

Chris and Thaxterlane, I agree with you guys.

I think a land line is a great thing to have.  When the cell phone runs out of batteries, it's nice to have something that still works.  Also internet-based phones are not very useful when the power goes out. 

TL, I love that you've programmed your contact info, as well as the emergency numbers into the cordless handset connected to the land line.  Great idea, I think I will follow your example.

We recently got a new internet / phone service which was $20 per month cheaper than what we had at AT&T. The new plans is from LMI.net (locally owned, partially solar-powered small business).  The new plan has faster internet, and it includes the land line phone with unlimited domestic / U.S. calls.  So far our guests are loving this! Cell phones are nice, but they can drop calls, run out of batteries, etc ... they are fickle.  It's so convenient to be able to talk from a land line phone.

Also, land lines are a much better connections for international and other important calls.  People have to use a calling card to call international from the land line, but I'd feel much comfortable doing that instead of calling from a cell phone where call can easily get dropped.

Personally I wouldn't live somewhere that doesn't have a land line phone.

• markemerson New Member 5 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    Jul 26, 2012 6:11 PM (in response to grmarco)

Where can I find a Telephone Stand that doubles as a Buggy Whip Holder?  I used to keep mine on the coat rack behind the door, but The Ice Man stole it last time he was here. 

• sodamo Contributor 260 posts since
    Nov 5, 2011
    Jul 26, 2012 6:46 PM (in response to grmarco)

Just another wrinkle... Landline service is not available to me - we are totally off grid. I try to convey that in my listings and even talk about cell coverage. I sure hope no one shows up without reading same, expects a landline and then slams the review for my inconsiderate nature.

Dec 31, 2010
      Jul 26, 2012 8:25 PM (in response to sodamo)

moltened wrote:

Sodamo, you are doing the right thing by making it clear to your guests that there is no land line.

When I say that I expect to have a land line, I am talking about in a major city such as where I live: San Francisco.  Or where "moltened" has the vacation rental .. Los Angeles.  These places are not "off the grid." If I stayed in a property in a major city like this, with no land line, YES, I would consider it to be an inconvenience. In his or her comment, "moltened" said that the lack of land line phone WOULD NOT end up in reviews.  I was simply countering with the point that if I were staying at a vacation rental in Los Angeles, and if I were inconvenienced by the lack of a land line ... then yes, that WOULD be something that I might mention in a review. 

By contrast, of course, the fact that someone DOES have a land line, would probably never be mentioned in a review.  The lack of a land line when you need one, would likely to be commented on.  Having a land line when you needed it would not be commented on, because people would just expect it, be glad to have it, and then forget about it.   Nonetheless, as I mentioned above, we don't provide things just so that someone will comment on it in the reviews.  We provide things so that our guests will have a very enjoyable, comfortable, and safe stay, regardless of whether the individual niceties ever show up in the reviews or not.

To me ... and this is just my opinion ... not providing a land line (in a major city like Los Angeles) is inconsiderate to the guests. 

Meanwhile ... obviously, when people are going "off the grid," they don't expect to have a land line phone.  I stayed in the Amazonian rain forest (near Puerto Maldonado, Peru) and there was no cell phone service, no land line service, no Wi Fi.  That's fine, I knew that would be the case before I went.  When I go backpacking and sleep out under the stars, miles from the nearest car or toilet or shower, I don't expect expect to have a land line phone, just as I don't expect to have running water or maid service.

It's all about expectations, of course.  If I am staying in a big city like San Francisco, yes, I do expect the accommodations to be "civilized" enough that there will be a land line in the apartment.  Do you expect to have a land line in your room at a hotel?  Yes.  I believe we should provide the same to our guests, especially since it is so easy to provide.  (If you're off the grid and a land line is NOT easy to provide, that's a different story.)

That's MY opinion.  And that's why I provide a land line for our guests.  Conversely, if land lines DON'T matter to you, it would make sense that you WOULDN'T provide it for your guests.  I understand that.  What I object to is the tone that 'moltened" had, acting as if it would require a "far-flung" condition for a land line phone to come in handy.  As I explained above, actually land line phones come in quite handy, especially when you live by yourself and only have one cell phone.  That cell phone can die / get lost / stolen / damaged / etc at any time, and then you're left with no phone at all ... unless you've got a land line.

Jul 26, 2012 10:40 PM (in response to sfvacationhut)

I take it you're an older fella.  I'm not sure I've ever used a hotel land line for anything other than to call front desk or leave a wake up call.  My guests use texts as a preferred way to communicate with me.

I'm so good at spotting potential trouble guests by their questions that I refuse a good 30% of my inquires.  I don't think you'd have a chance to write an unfavorable review for something as silly as no landline because I'd have spotted you beforehand and never let you in.

Dec 31, 2010
          Jul 26, 2012 11:19 PM (in response to moltened)

moltened wrote:

I take it you're an older fella.  I'm not sure I've ever used a hotel land line for anything other than to call front desk or leave a wake up call.  My guests use texts as a preferred way to communicate with me.

I'm so good at spotting potential trouble guests by their questions that I refuse a good 30% of my inquires.  I don't think you'd have a chance to write an unfavorable review for something as silly as no landline because I'd have spotted you beforehand and never let you in.

Wow, moltened. 

I'm sorry I bruised your ego. 

The reality is, a landline CAN be helpful in many situations.  It's fine for owners NOT to provide it.  At the same time, I don't think it's right to imply that a land line is a ridiculous waste of money, or that it has less value than a foot massager.   A land line phone is a nice convenience for the guests if you want to provide it.  If not, no worries.

Jul 26, 2012 11:46 PM (in response to sfvacationhut)

Nothing to do with ego.  Casual threats to damage my livelyhood on a whim by you or anyone else makes me very angry especially with how much effort I put into this.

Dec 31, 2010
              Aug 5, 2013 10:25 PM (in response to moltened)

Oh, I'm very sorry, I wasn't making any kind of threat, casual or otherwise.

I was only rebuffing what you said in your comment quoted above, which was that the lack of a land line would never be something someone would mention in a review.  I do believe that it would be something someone would and could rightfully mention, if there wasn't a landline there when he or she needed it.

Such a statement is not meant to be damaging at all.

For example, I do not provide all the fancy cable channels at my guest apartment ... we only have "basic cable," which means no HBO, no Comedy Central, no CNN, no Fox News, etc.    I have been expecting that one of these days, one of the guests will write a review mentioning that there are no special paid cable stations.  So far nobody has mentioned it, but I won't be surprised if someday someone does.  I can imagine that someone would expect to have a wide array of TV channels, being in a big city and all, just like some people might expect to have a land line phone.   But we don't provide those extra channels.

So ... just because I am saying that I think it's valid to mention this in a review, it doesn't mean that I making a casual threat to my own business.  No, I am not.  I am simply saying that our lack of fancy cable TV channels is something someone could and might mention in a review if they wanted to.  I am not threatening myself and my own business, just as I am not threatening you and your business. 

Also, "moltened," you were the one who went out on a limb by making the assertion that no one would ever mention the lack of a land line phone in their review.  I was only remarking on what you said, saying that I disagree with you.  There is no threat inherent in disagreeing with someone.

• iopbeachhouse Community All-Star 455 posts since
    Aug 10, 2011
    Jul 26, 2012 7:22 PM (in response to grmarco)

We have a land line partly because the house has an elevator and there must be an emergency phone in the elevator.

Jul 27, 2012 8:46 AM (in response to grmarco)

Landline is critical for emergency calls in our area. Even though it is dense residential, for some reason, most cell phone service is sketchy within 1/4 mile radius of my VR. Also, I notice that some of our international guests don't like using their cell phones when staying with us due to expense. They prefer a prepaid phone card.

• jan.stevens Community All-Star 252 posts since
    Aug 30, 2011
    Jul 27, 2012 9:14 AM (in response to grmarco)

In the 8 years that we have been a vacation rental we have not provided a landline. All guests are informed upfront that we do not provide a landline and that if they are not from Canada they may want to adjust their cell phone plan during their stay. In all of the 8 years we have only had 1 guest struggle with her cell phone reception which was of her own doing. In that case we offered a Pay as you go cell phone from Telus (a local cell phone provider) to make her stay easier. She declined and all was good. 

I will never add a landline. In our case cell phone reception is excellent. But if we were located in a location with poor cell phone reception I would add a land line.

• academianut New Member 18 posts since
    Mar 15, 2013
    Aug 5, 2013 10:12 PM (in response to grmarco)

We don't and no one has ever cared. But we are in a city with good coverage, our guests are by and large under 45 and often 4-6 people, and we provide wifi (they can always make calls with skype). We travelled 10 months last year in Europe and the US, from one rental to the next, and not once did we have a landline and it was fine. Even doing my work, I just used skype to call other phones or do phone meetings. No biggy. 

• hill5185 Contributor 207 posts since
      Mar 28, 2012
      Aug 6, 2013 11:00 AM (in response to academianut)

We have bundled services internet/phone/cable. We have extended say guests 3 months. They are the only guests who request a landline. We don't keep a phone connected otherwise. Isn't it bothersome for guests to deal with unwanted calls by telemarketers etc..? It's bad enough the TV displays the caller id.  Personally we don't have a land line at our permanant residence and only use cell phones. Our old home number is parked on a old cell phone just as a dump number.

The previous owner of our VR kept a landline as he called it "the heart attack phone" in case of emergency.

Do guests really want to be answering "nonsense" phone calls and hearing the phone ring at all hours? Curious?

• jbarbara321 Contributor 96 posts since
        Mar 17, 2011
        Aug 10, 2013 9:21 AM (in response to hill5185)

We have to have a land line because not all cell phone providers work at our vacation rental.  You could request an unlisted phone number to avoid the unwanted calls.

Dec 31, 2010
        Sep 18, 2013 6:19 PM (in response to hill5185)

Hi Hill5185,

Yes, I do think it's a problem to get phone calls from telemarketers and political pollsters, survey takers, etc. 

A solution for the above would to be on the DO NOT CALL list.  I haven't done that yet, but I'm hoping it would help.

In addition, there is the problem of people calling for previous guests, not realizing that the guest called from the land line.  I'm guessing the previous guests called people from the land line phone number, and then the people receiving the calls, have saved that phone number under that person's name ... and then when they go to call that person (our previous guest) back again, they inadvertently call the phone number at our vacation rental.

A solution for the above would be to get one of those BLOCKED numbers so that when someone calls out from our land line at the vacation rental, the other person will not be able to see what phone number they are calling from and therefore will not be able to easily save the data under that person's name.

We've also had one guest who seemed to have an issue with a credit card company, so Discover Card was calling a few times a day, for weeks.  Finally we were able to get the phone number to call back so we could call Discover Card and tell them that this person cannot be reached at this number.

So yes, it is a problem. 

We have a note right next to the phone that explains how to turn the ringer off.  The note explains to the guests that if they don't want to receive unwanted calls, especially while sleeping, please be sure to turn the ringer off. 

I think this really helps!  We've had that note there since the very beginning, and so far no one has complained about unwanted calls.

And ... if the ringer is turned off, the phone is still fully functional in case of an emergency.  I think a lot of our guests leave the ringer turned off all the time.   They receive calls on their cell phone, but it's so convenient to use the land line for calling out.  Good signal, no dropped calls, etc.

• annie196 New Member 17 posts since
    Apr 14, 2012
    Aug 10, 2013 10:48 PM (in response to grmarco)

I provide a  landline as cell phone coverage can be spotty at our vacation home.  Also, rain storms often interfere with the electrical service which would make charging a cell phone difficult.

• mudstump Contributor 140 posts since
    Nov 13, 2012
    Sep 18, 2013 6:00 PM (in response to grmarco)

I am required by law via my transient rental license to have a landline.  It is a safety issue at the beach due to storms and tsunamis.  Cell phone coverage is spotty and a landline could be a life saver.

• monteriocottages New Member 2 posts since
    Aug 20, 2013
    Nov 2, 2013 8:45 AM (in response to grmarco)

I've found two solutions to the issue of a landline.  Our place is in the redwood forest, and the only cell service that is reliable here is Verizon.  We have 6 little cottages, so the cost of land line phones gets pricey at $30/month each, and that's w/o any toll calls, and from here, even the closest city (only 15 miles away) is a toll call.  Anyway, I've solved the problem, in two ways.  We keep 4, prepaid Verizon cell phones that only cost $2/day, which includes text messages and also unlimited long distance call.  We tell the guest, in advance, about no land line phone, and offer to lend them a cell phone.  When people want the cell, we leave it for them.

That was how we handled the situation before we got the new Ooma phone system.  We provide internet service to the guests, so we added Ooma phones to each cottage.  It is really good service (clear and reliable), and once you buy the equipment, it's free.  Costo carries the equipment, and for $139, you get two phone lines, and no monthly charge.

I know some of the internet phones are not good, like Magic Jack, but this one is great. And, it works on regular land line phones.  They also have good and reliable customer service.

Anyway, that's what I've done, and it works well for us.

• crescentbeach4u Community All-Star 865 posts since
      Sep 10, 2011
      Nov 2, 2013 8:56 AM (in response to monteriocottages)

Those are some great ideas.  Because my wife and I got very tired of political calls, and charities always calling and asking for votes or money we killed our phone line after 16 years and we put the magic jack plus in our main home and actually like it.  It ties into the modem and not necessarily the computer.  Works well for us.

• twobitrentals Community All-Star 1,355 posts since
    Aug 5, 2011
    Nov 2, 2013 11:33 AM (in response to grmarco)

I personally have never offered a landline. It has never been a problem. However, I do know that when I put in my internet service through centurylink, they told me that "if" a phone was hooked into the phone outlet that they would be able to make a 911 call. I don't have a phone even for that purpose in my home. I think that most people who are traveling are usually traveling with a cell phone. Perhaps, as others have suggested, if you don't have good cell coverage, then you may want to have a landline.

• grace300 Contributor 62 posts since
    Sep 17, 2013
    Dec 16, 2013 10:02 AM (in response to grmarco)

I recognize how old the original post was, and would love to know what solution you used, and if it has been a significant help.

I just rec'd for the first time an angry complaint regarding not having a land line, and I just now realized that because of the way VRBO is set up, there is no way for me to state there is no land line.

We get great cell service here I have 7 units, and 5 do not have land lines, but I get a ton of Canadian guests who routinely pay up to $1 a minute for out of country roaming fees. I suggest to them the purchase of a disposable phone from Walmart upon landing, but I am thinking I should keep one or two handy, just for these occassions.

• lazym Active Contributor 401 posts since
      Sep 5, 2012
      Dec 16, 2013 11:50 AM (in response to grace300)

We don't have a land line phone and cell service is unreliable.  We now make it very clear in our ad (and rental agreement) about this after having a guest complain because she thought our phone number on the property was for guests to use (she had many other complaints and honestly I think it was the husband who picked a remote cabin and she didn't know she wasn't going to be able to use her cell phone).  Since making it very clear we have not had 1 person complain about the lack of a land line phone or the cell service. 

Honestly I think that the days of needing to provide a land line are past us.  If you have decent wi-fi even if they are from Canada they can use skype to place low cost calls from your home either on their smart phone, tablet or computer (and its cheaper than any other service from the phone company).  I would not put a land line in unless you know a really good way to make sure long distance calls are not being made.        

• jbarbara321 Contributor 96 posts since
      Mar 17, 2011
      Dec 16, 2013 12:28 PM (in response to grace300)

If you do not have reliable cell service at your rental, I would definetely without a doubt get a land line.  Even if it is just local calls and you can tell people to bring a calling card. People rely on and are glued to their cell phones these days and not having service can be unnerving and inconvenient.   Another more important issue is:  What would someone do if they were alone in the house and had an emergency?

I have some cabins in the mountains and only Verizon cell service works (just got cell service last year!).  Originally, I had a land line with local calling only and told people to bring calling cards.  People would forget to get the calling card and would knock on my neighbors door to use their phone...that was the end of that!  We switched to unlimited calling within the United States and just raised my rates a bit to cover it.   

• evan Active Contributor 664 posts since
        Jan 12, 2013
        Dec 16, 2013 1:38 PM (in response to jbarbara321)

i pay $35 a month for a land line with unlimited long distance., i bet its used 4 or 5 times a yr max but even thought most cell service works in my area i'm scared if an emergency hits and no landline to call 911 and somebody died it would be a disaster.again its a part of doing business and i just include in my rent

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points