Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
4072 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2013 2:31 PM by tyann RSS
coloradojen Contributor 58 posts since
Dec 7, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 9, 2013 9:13 AM

Help! I just got my first FlipKey booking, now what?

She paid her deposit, so now what do I send her? A rental agreement? Because FlipKey already sends that when you send the quote.

Also, if she had paid through paypal could she have avoided that annoying booking fee FlipKey adds to everything?

• mike-dfv Community All-Star 815 posts since
    Mar 5, 2011

Because FlipKey doesn't have an immediate payment option, they hold your money until 24 hours after the guest checks-in (though they are looking to change that), I run my FlipKey reservations, including payment and rental agreement, through the HA/VRBO Reservation Manager.

Mike

• tyann Contributor 222 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010

I use FK for listing my properties, but I do not use their booking or payment system. I also do not use the Reservation Manager system. I have my own system to minimize any transaction fees, saving my guests and I money. If you don't like the FK fees, you don't have to use their booking system.

Tyann Marcink

Nature's Retreat and Canyon Retreat | vacationhomeinbranson.comhttp://www.vacationhomeinbranson.com

Photography and Website Design | marcinkdesigns.com

• swlinphx Senior Contributor 2,191 posts since
        Aug 30, 2011

Actually coloradojen, PayPal charges 2.9% + 30¢ domestic and 3.9% + 30¢ international. VRP/Yapstone charges 2.5% domestic and 3.75% international.  Also, unlike PayPal, they allow returns with no 60-day deadline.  Both refund the fee.  I cannot speak for PPI/PayPros however.

Which are you using as your Reservation Manager processing company?

• sasmo Contributor 66 posts since
      Jan 24, 2013
      Apr 2, 2013 6:55 PM (in response to tyann)
      Re: Help! I just got my first FlipKey booking, now what?

Tyann,

Like you, I used my own system with FK and HA for years and it worked great. I just switched from the $300 yearly FK fee to the "Free listing" where they take a 3% fee from us (not bad considering that's just a hair more than a CC processing fee) However, I just did my first inquiry reply with the new system.  A few cons:  I don't like how I can't contact the person to screen them if needed.  I was also surprised at the $69 additional fee they charged the traveler...which can't help conversion rates. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are on the Free Listing program don't you have to use thier booking and payment system? Otherwise how would they collect their fees? 

I will give this a few tries, but don't know if it's going to work especially since rather than 1 system for everything, now my inquiries will be spread out with 2 different ways to process everything.

It would be interesting to compare our own systems to see if there are any improvements to be had

Aug 30, 2011
        Apr 4, 2013 10:28 AM (in response to sasmo)

Sasmo, that is correct.  If you choose the 3% commission system with free listing then you have to use their FlipKey Payments system.  I recommend against this, as the booking fee charged the traveler is substantial (in addition to the 3% commission you pay).  Also, if you book two or more a month, then the $299 annual fee is more cost effective and it is further discounted with each property you list.

Aug 30, 2011
      Apr 4, 2013 10:29 AM (in response to tyann)

Tyann, what processing system do you use and what are the domestic and international processing fees?  Also, do they allow refunds with no deadline, and do they refund the fee as well?

• tyann Contributor 222 posts since
        Dec 28, 2010

Swlinphx,

I use PayPros for credit card processing, and they charge a flat 2.5% transaction fee, no monthly fees. However, there is a $7 per month charge because of Visa. All funds I process are deposited into my bank account within a couple days of the transaction at the latest. My monthly fees are debited from my bank account. I only charge guests' cards for the cleaning portion and ocassionally for deposits or balances. The bulk of my payments are by check.

I don't know about their refunds, as I have never refunded a credit card payment and don't plan to. The cleaning fee I charge to a guest's card is a nonrefundable amount to hold their dates until payment is made and then converts to the cleaning when they stay.

Tyann Marcink

Nature's Retreat and Canyon Retreat | vacationhomeinbranson.com

Photography and Website Design | marcinkdesigns.com

Aug 30, 2011
          Apr 4, 2013 2:05 PM (in response to tyann)

Oh okay.  When you said you used "your own system to minimize any transaction fees" and not Reservation Manager I thought you meant an outside company.  However, VRP/Yapstone and PayPros/PPI are the two services Reservation Manager uses.   The difference seems to be the $7/month fee you pay with PayPros.  VRP/Yapstone used with Reservation Manager charges no such fee.  It is just a 2.5% flat fee per transaction.  They also allow returns with no deadline and refund the fee.

You said you sometimes charge the deposit to the credit card but never refund it.  Are your damage deposits non-refundable to your guests?

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points