Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
14326 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2013 10:55 PM by 2hip4u2 RSS
eric.mueller New Member 9 posts since
Apr 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 26, 2013 2:39 PM

What's the most durable air mattress?

Help! I have a popular 3-bedroom rental in Los Angeles and frequently host parties that need extra sleeping space, so I have inflatable mattresses (air mattresses, AeroBeds) for them.

The problem is, they are so not durable. I don't know if my guests are jumping up and down on them, or if they just aren't made to be inflated/deflated several times in a month, but typically I can't get one to last more than six months before it springs a leak.

I'm tired of repairing them (and the hassles that come with an urgent call from my guest saying "um, the mattress lost air overnight, it was uncomfortable, can you please come fix this today so we can sleep tonight")... I'd like to buy a SUPER durable air mattress.

I've shopped around and Googled for this without luck. Does anyone know of an air mattress that specfically markets itself as extra durable? The normal beds at Bed, Bath and Beyond just aren't cutting it. :-)

I'd like the usual built-in electic air pump (so you just plug the mattress in a push a button)... but I don't care about extra bells and whistles (built in pillow-top, headboard, etc). I just need something made from stronger plastic, with reinforced seams.

THANK YOU for your advice--

best

Eric

• carol Senior Contributor 2,139 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010
    Jan 26, 2013 3:05 PM (in response to eric.mueller)
    Re: What's the most durable air mattress?

I have roll-away beds instead of an air mattress.  Do you have any extra storage space where you could store roll-aways?  They last for years, and I do think they are more comfortable than air mattresses.  Also, there is no temptation to step on them as there would be for a mattress on the floor.  

I recently purchased one at Big Lots for my own home -- don't remember how much it was, but maybe $100-$120.   

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,352 posts since
    May 25, 2011
    Jan 26, 2013 3:02 PM (in response to eric.mueller)

Eric, I'm not sure there is such a thing as a durable air matteress, just because of the nature of the beast.  I've persoanlly never slept ona a "comfortable" air matteress.  If you have the space (3 bedrooms may have closets?) you might want to look at a few other options. There are trundle beds, and there are roll away beds that fold up & can be stashed in a closet.  

We have a nice futon as an overflow sleeping option, and I've stayed in VRs that have offered the roll away beds.   

Hope ths helps

Debj

• Contributor 188 posts since
    Aug 30, 2012
    Jan 27, 2013 7:51 AM (in response to eric.mueller)

The ones made specifically for camping are the most durable, but like it says above they still are really not that durable.  Better of with a military grade cot.

• crescentbeach4u Community All-Star 862 posts since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Feb 15, 2013 5:34 AM (in response to eric.mueller)

I have a sleeper sofa with an electrical blow up mattress.  What is unique to it is that on top of the mattress there is a pillow top so it is actually very comfortable.  I actually found out about it from one of my renters who actually wrote a positive review on it.  I was shocked to see it.

• sapphiresteve Active Contributor 503 posts since
      Dec 16, 2010
      Feb 16, 2013 11:32 AM (in response to crescentbeach4u)

We have one of those. Itwas made by (or at least sold by) Laz-E-Boy. I don't know if has a pillow top, but I believe that it is the thin air mattress that does the trick. Every other "pull-out sofa bed" that I have ever slept on has a metal bar running from one side to the other which you really feel. The air mattress mitigates it and does the trick. Only problem is you have to re-inflate and then re-deflate the air mattress with each use.

Steve

• sapphiresteve Active Contributor 503 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010
    Feb 16, 2013 11:35 AM (in response to eric.mueller)

An other option is a "Murphy" bed. The big advantage is that when it is "down", it is a real bed in every sense. the secondary advantage  is that compared to a comparable folding bed, it requires less floor space.

Disadvantages: Must be securely fastened to floor (or possibly wall), expensive, the floor area on to which it will fold down must be clear, or reasonably easy to clear.

Steve

• New Member 1 posts since
    Feb 26, 2013
    Feb 26, 2013 10:55 PM (in response to eric.mueller)

http://www.hammacher.com/product/78306  They have a lifetime guarantee

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points