Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
2548 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2012 3:30 PM by crescentbeach4u RSS
trish Contributor 151 posts since
Feb 24, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 26, 2011 10:10 AM

WiFi versus high speed/ethernet

We have high speed internet access with modem and ethernet cable at our house rather than WiFi. Do most of you have WiFi, and if you have not gotten it, do you get many complaints about not having it?

• New Member 4 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    Feb 27, 2011 6:54 PM (in response to trish)

I have the most unstable internet connection and cell phone reception on my property.  Any suggestions as to how to fix this?  My "business" clients really needs this feature.

• spoonbill Contributor 105 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    Mar 3, 2011 12:30 AM (in response to trish)

I only offer high speed internet service via WiFi, rather than ethernet cable for several reasons.  It can be used throughout the house and it is less likely to have problems than wired which gives them direct physical access (in some cases) to your router.

I too suffer phone problems at my location with AT&T.  So I added their MicroCell and offer to enter a guests cell phone into the system for their use while at the house.  This gives them strong signal reception in the house, and especially close to the micro-cell.  The cost when I did it is a one time fee of $250 but I think AT&T is now offering it for free.

• alliee Contributor 45 posts since
    Jul 11, 2012
    Jul 30, 2012 12:06 AM (in response to trish)
    Re: WiFi versus high speed/ethernet

Well the high speed interent with cable is far better and fast than Wi-Fi interent. Wi-Fi net best where we requrire more than two users and they want to use it from their own bed room but Wi-Fi doesn't give as much speed like cable high speed interent.

• carol Senior Contributor 2,155 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010
    Jul 30, 2012 1:23 PM (in response to trish)

I would never want to be limited to one place to use my laptop -- WiFi is the only solution for me!

• spoonbill Contributor 105 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    Jul 30, 2012 1:50 PM (in response to trish)

Unless you have faster service than 100 mbit ethernet coming into your house you won't see any real difference between using ethernet or WiFi.  Cable companies charge an arm and a leg for 50 mbit Internet service and some newer WiFi dual channel 5MHz is capable of 400mbit ethernet, way more than the cable company will provide.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)