Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
2129 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 18, 2011 12:09 PM by msdebj RSS
New Member 4 posts since
Aug 15, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 16, 2011 3:13 PM

Legal Zoom for Rental Agreements

The folks at Homeaway Customer Support suggested that I look at Legal Zoom...happy to pay for a good agreement for 4-6 months in CA. But the customer support person at Legal Zoom said they don't have a vacation rental agreement and that the agreements that they offer are for long term 6 months or more.

Is there a cut off point that you all would use a "vacation rental agreement" and when you would use a "long term rental agreement"

Thank you for any input on this. Any samples are helpful. I attached my sample in last post. I have not reatined an attorney for this and was hoping it would not be neccessary...great to pool resources.

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,357 posts since
    May 25, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 18, 2011 12:09 PM (in response to solanabeachhouse)
    Legal Zoom for Rental Agreements

In Colorado I have rented my guest house on a  month to month basis. I used a standard lease agreement- even for renters who stayed a year.  I did require 1st and last month's rent (and a damage deposit equal to 1/2 a month's rent), with the rent being due on the 1st of each month. The lease agreement had certain stipulations.

I required a 30 day written notice from the renter that stated the date they would be leaving., at my atty's suggestion. This activated the "last month's rental payment". This way I was covered if :

1.  I didn't receive the 30 day notice and they did not pay the rent due they  forfeited the last month's rent and damage deposit

If I didn't receive the rent, or letter of notification on the 1st I then started eviction proceedings.The one time I had to evict  took 2 weeks to get them out, so in the end I came out ahead. 

I don't know if this helps our not.

Deb

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)