Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
15183 Views 32 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2012 6:25 PM by rambotrader RSS
New Member 8 posts since
Feb 24, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 24, 2011 11:46 AM

How do I deal with pesky neighbors who bother my guests?

I have fastidious and pesky neighbors who have done the following:

- complained to police several times about my guest making outdoor noise. My guests were never cited for anything and were within their rights.

- complained that the smoke from my firepit blows into their air space and property.

- complained to city that I'm running a bed-and-breakfast facility, which is a complete fallacy.

- shined flashlights on my guests at night.

They are the only neighbors within proximity to make trouble for me and my guests. They have told me they only want peace and quiet within their proximity which I think is selfish because anyone should have the rightto enjoy the outdoors, especially when the property is on the lake. I've sent them a letter telling them that I do not want to engage in any conflicts  and will impliment rules for  guests to be as quiet and respectful as possible when outdoors. However, I also said  that if their conflicts persist, I will make it very unpleasant for them by installing glaring lights along my porch, a half-basketball court, and perhaps open a bed-and-breakfast facility, which would be the worst thing that could happen to them. 

If anyone has ever experienced such neighbors, please offer suggestions on how I should deal with them.  Thanks a bunch.

Danny

• Contributor 62 posts since
    Mar 1, 2011

We haev a neighbor that likes taking pictures of our guests...

• Contributor 34 posts since
    Feb 25, 2011

Oh Dear,  You definately have a neighbor who is not happy with your property being a rental.  I live in the middle of a number of our rentals and it's amazing how far sound travels, possibly making sure your guests understand how sound carries and ask them to be respectful of the neighbors.  Do you live close enough to the property that you can give the neighbors your phone number-and when they have an issue with the guests they call you?  That way you can determine if their gripes are legit.

• sophie Senior Contributor 964 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011

fyi, any complaint to the city for a vacation rental can open a can a worms if your city has no regulations or banning on VR's because it's at that point when people and city council start taking notice and decide it's time to regulate because of the "complaints".

It's happening across the US as we speak and all because of complaints to the city about a vacation rental!

• aznative Contributor 103 posts since
    Feb 8, 2011

We have a neighbor who thinks that our guests should be "neighbors" and invites them to lunch!  If they don't accept, she tells us that "they are rude and obnoxious people!"  One time she even told us (we share a driveway in a townhouse complex) that our guest "didn't know how to drive because he was leaving black tire tread marks on the driveway!  The only thing we said was that it would wash away when it rains, and that if an automobile has soft rubber tires, they tend to leave more tread marks.

Just as sophie mentioned, but for other reasons, we are afraid that she might complain to our association about us renting it out, so we try to be as civil and polite to her as possible, and then give a very subtle and diplomatic warning to our guests when they check in that if they want to have privacy during their vacation they should probably not engage with our next door neighbor.  So far our guests have not been put out by this, and just laughed and complied.  It has seemed to help.

• New Member 2 posts since
      Apr 27, 2011
      Apr 28, 2011 10:00 AM (in response to aznative)

You mentioned "the association" in your post.  This is a very real issue.  My home owners association essentially created new bylaws making weekly rentals a violation.  I can't really rent anymore due to these new rules.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  What can be done when the HOA will not allow you to rent anymore?  What can an HOA actually do if you violate these rules?  I am going to have to sell my home at this point....

• New Member 1 posts since
        Apr 28, 2011
        Apr 28, 2011 12:00 PM (in response to peters)

I don't know where your rental is located but in most states you can bypass this as you are grandfathered in. I had a property that this very situation happened to. We had an attorney send the association a letter to that effect and we haven't had any problems since. I am a property manager in Panama City Beach, Florida. I hope this helps! Good luck!

• New Member 11 posts since
          Apr 27, 2011

Thanks for your response.

It was pleasing that so many of the

responses in the forum were positive and that the landlords concerned

were generally doing the right thing.  The 'pesky neighbours' are

there, some with legitimate issues and others who may be difficult.

Welcome to the people business.  But having been a victim of this

industry I  have lived the pain which is inflicted upon neighbours

when things go wrong and it was my intention to present the other

side in what is essentially a landlords forum. 

It is a sad fact that often money comes

first and the lives of neighbours second. 

Just for interests sake I also rent out

property although I am very straight and let clients know what is not

on  -  that way they can go and find a scumbag landlord who will give

them what they want. Ok, it might be a lost rental to me but then I

can sleep at night.

Congratulations that you are a decent

landlord.  There should be more of them.

Cheers.

michael

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 12:01:24 -0500

To: rambotrader@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: How do I deal with pesky neighbors who bother my guests? - Re: How do I deal with pesky neighbors who bother my guests?

Seek Advice. Get Answers. Optimize your Vacation Rental Business.

Re: How do I deal with pesky neighbors who bother my guests?

created by aliciaallen in Interacting with Guests - View the full discussion

I don't know where your rental is located but in most states you can bypass this as you are grandfathered in. I had a property that this very situation happened to. We had an attorney send the association a letter to that effect and we haven't had any problems since. I am a property manager in Panama City Beach, Florida. I hope this helps! Good luck!

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

Start a new discussion in Interacting with Guests by email or at Community

© 2010 HomeAway.com Inc. 1011 W. Fifth Street, Suite 300, Austin, TX 78703

Please add us to your address book to ensure you continue receiving HomeAway emails.

View our Privacy Statement | Contact Us  | Terms & Conditions

• New Member 3 posts since
        Apr 27, 2011

I have a cabin in a gated area deep in the mountains. Many of the owners of property lots simply wanted somewhere in the mountains to camp and ride their 4-wheelers (single users units - no 4-wheel drive vehicles). Many of these people planned to never build a cabin. Some of these people might leave a travel trailer on their site during the summer. The HOA decided that they would not allow allow travel trailers during certain times of the year (bascially during the winter months). The HOA revised the "bylaws" to make anyone who left a trailer onsite, to be fined and have their trailer impounded. During the final review of the bylaws, they hired a speciality lawyer to review the legality of all the issues. He informed them that they had no recourse "except to privately sue the lot owner in court to remove his property". He advised them that the judge would review the local ordinances and then "might" decide. The problem was whether the HOA bylaws were in effect when the owner bought their property. His opinion was that if the property owner bought the property before the changes, then the HOA would probably lose. Another lot owner suggested going onto the offending property and towing the trailers. The lawyer informed them, that the lot was Private Property, and if they trespassed without consent, they would be breaking the law.

You need to check the local laws governing vacation / property rentals in the affected area and THEN make your decision. Remember that it is your private property. You might consult a speciality lawyer. (not just any lawyer - they might tell that they know everything, but they DO NOT)(can you read "I paid a lawyer $30,000 last year to solve a business contract problem that in the end the judge stated 'there was no basis in the lawsuit'. I asked for a refund or a partial discount. You can imagine what I received - the invoice.").

Good Luck  

Apr 27, 2011

Thanks for your response.

can sleep at night.

And I agree with you that lawyers are not always worth what we pay them.  A little reading can negate the need for using one.  Sometimes a chin wag with the neighbour concerned can also create a friendship rather than an enemy which is a win win.

Cheers.

michael

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 12:05:37 -0500

Subject: Re: How do I deal with pesky neighbors who bother my guests? - Re: How do I deal with pesky neighbors who bother my guests?

created by cabosnow in Interacting with Guests - View the full discussion

I have a cabin in a gated area deep in the mountains. Many of the owners of property lots simply wanted somewhere in the mountains to camp and ride their 4-wheelers (single users units - no 4-wheel drive vehicles). Many of these people planned to never build a cabin. Some of these people might leave a travel trailer on their site during the summer. The HOA decided that would not allow allow travel trailers during certain times of the year (bascially during the winter months). They revised the "bylaws" to make anyone who left a trailer onsite, to be fined and have their trailer impounded. During the final review of the bylaws, they hired a speciality lawyer to review the legality of all the issues. He informed them that they had no recourse "except to privately sue the lot owner in court to remove his property". He advised them that the judge would review the local ordinances and then "might" decide. The problem was whether the HOA bylaws were in effect when the owner bought their property. His opinion was that if the property owner bought the property before the changes, then the HOA would probably lose. Another lot owner suggested going onto the offending property and towing the trailers. The lawyer informed them, that the lot was Private Property, and if they trespassed without consent, they would be breaking the law. You need to check the local laws governing vacation / property rentals in the affected area and THEN make your decision. Remember that it is your private property. You might consult a speciality lawyer. (not just any lawyer - they might tell that they know everything, but they DO NOT)(can you read "I paid a lawyer $30,000 last year to solve a business contract problem that in the end the judge stated 'there was no basis in the lawsuit'. I asked for a refund or a partial discount. You can imagine what I received - the invoice."). Good Luck  

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

Please add us to your address book to ensure you continue receiving HomeAway emails.

Apr 27, 2011

See a lawyer.  If you owned the home before the new bylaws, and the old bylaws didn’t prevent it, and local ordinances, etc. don’t prevent it, you should be able to challenge this …hopefully a letter from your lawyer will do it.

Apr 27, 2011

Thanks to everyone with suggestions about the bylaws being changed,  I guess I will have to pay a lawyer to challenge the HoA.

Apr 28, 2011

Just wondering if you can help us? 

We live in Katy 77450 and recently had our home on Home Away and VRBO for about 8 months doing well with it.  Our guests have all been fabulous and we would like to continue. However, we received a very strong and threatening letter from our HOA’s attorney demanding we stop renting immediately along with a small invoice for $92 covering a attorney admin fees adding that we would be fined and sued for any additional monies needed to pursue this issue.

We cancelled the Home Away website and sent a check to avoid any more interaction until we decide what to do. 

We asked the HOA if there had been any complaints against us and the answer was no, someone found it on the Home Away site and reported it to the HOA. The reason they sited is, it clearly states we are “prohibited from doing business” as it is against HOA bylaws. Our bylaws do not deal with the renting issue at all. In fact…ours does not stipulate anything except “prohibited from doing business”. It seems at is too vague and too broad.

There is a reason that HOA’s have added the clause “property can be rented, but not to short term rentals less than 28 days”. Our HOA should be more specific and add that clause.

We spoke with a lawyer who said we could fight it but we should be cognoscente that Texas has the strongest HOA’s in the USA.

QUESTION: Have you had any problems with your HOA? Do you have any advice for us?

Michelle Sturdevant  713 572-5308

http://www.houstonestaterental.com/

Apr 27, 2011

I can't believe that this post is still going.

Having moved to a lovely area, built a one of a kind house and wanted nothing more than to have a 'normal' life I now find myself battling scumbag landlords whose only interest in life is to screw the biggest dollar out of their rental property that they can.  The result is one after the other they do things and permit tenants which they would not accept next door to their own rental property. 

I have put an end to one place which rented for all  night all weekend bucks, hens, parties, gaming type rentals.  It took 4 years.  My health has suffered irreparably.

There is now a new player across the road from me who put in a spa verging on the road edge and pointed straight at my bedrooms.  And the people concerned now also rent out a shed as well for human occupation.  We have already had some 2 am giggling women and the like to test our patience.

"Peky neighbours" is an expression which masks all sorts of irresponsible behaviour from those whose only interest is making money at all costs.  I do find it difficult that there are so many aggrieved landlords.  The neighbours are normally people just wanting to live in their own homes.  When the tenants reply that "this is what we came to do" then one understands the game.

Perhaps the thread should read "What do I do with feral landlords who ruin my life".  A more apt heading.

Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 14:26:04 -0600

created by michelle in Interacting with Guests - View the full discussion

Apr 27, 2011

We installed motion-sensitive lights on the sides of the unit nearest the neighbors. In our case it was their kids being curious rather than the adults being nosey. Since conversation, music at a reasonable volume, and smoke are all to be expected in the outdoor space of a vacation rental, I'd keep a log of everyone using the premises including yourselves. That way if an overzealous cop decides to write a ticket you may be able to demonstrate that your neighbors never complain when you are in residence.

Apr 27, 2011

I pay my neighbors. Every time someone stays at our home in Cabo San Lucas, we buy the neighbors a Gift Card for some business (Home Depot, Costco, restaurant, etc.). We also let them use the pool with their kids (they are a very responsible couple). This way, they feel like they are participating with our guests and also protecting our interests.

If we just gave them cash, it would not have the same effect. This couple has money, but just the process of buying them something they can use, makes such a difference. It does not have to be much (we do $25 per group). It is more the action and the thought.

Happy, Happy, Happy !!!!!

Apr 27, 2011

I would defiantly try and solve this situation by seeing how you could calm and satisfy your neighbor. Guests come and go but you will be dealing with your neighbor for as long as you own properties next to each other. I spoke with our neighbors ahead of time and told them what we were doing and then asked them to contact me if any difficulties came up. Thankfully, they have been very cooperative and have been very polite to guests. Guests have even commented how nice the neighbors are. I also notify guests before arrival that our property is in a community where not everyone is on vacation and ask that they be respectful of those around them. Unruly behavior will not be tolerated. Perhaps if your neighbor knows what your rental policies are and are asked to let you deal with folks that do not follow the rules...they may become more cooperative.

The following is listed in our Check In/Out-House Rules document provided to each guest prior to check in.

• Most residents of our community are owner/residents. You will find it to be a quiet relaxing atmosphere. Please be respectful of the community around you.

Good Luck

Apr 27, 2011

First, my rentals are all legal so legality is not hanging over my head.  Second, I keep a large presence at my rentals that are near my home.  I am there to supervise yard work and repairs and check in peridocially with tenants, etc. I also speak friendly to the neighbors when they are out and about.  So they know I am paying very close attention. Third, I've had very few problems. But I get right on any complaints (from tenants, too) and I make every effort to correct them.

Fourth, once I reach the conclusion that a neighbor is just unreasonable (and probably doesn't like rentals), I take a very hard stand so that they understand that I'm done being nice.

I once had a neighbor behind my rental [long term] to whom I had given my home phone.  This lady had married into the family that had lived there for 30 years and with whom I had been on good terms until she came along. She began calling me in the middle of the night.  As I have a 90-year-old mother, these calls would shake me terribly as I assumed they were about her.  Finally, I returned the favor.  I telephoned her every half hour for the rest of the night.  That ended her 3am phone calls and she eventually moved away and things returned to normal.

My point is, if you are doing everything you can and paying close attention, once you determine that your neighbor is just a troublemaker, don't be afraid to take a hard stand.  Even a letter from a lawyer asserting your rights [and your tenants rights] to peaceful enjoyment of your property, can work wonders. Remember this is your income we're talking about.  Interference from unreasonable neighbors can damage you severly. 

• juggler.taylor New Member 1 posts since
      Apr 27, 2011
      Apr 27, 2011 4:20 PM (in response to voor123)

We have a neighbor who thought our guests were being too loud and would shout back wierd things and make noises to try to upset out guests. I just told our guests and still do that the neighbor has "tourettes syndrome".  That has helped our guests understand that he has no control.  We also called the local Sheriff out to talk to him and he has calmed down a bit. Does "Home Away" have any help for us owners??

Apr 27, 2011

Interesting responses.

I come from the other side as a neighbour and it was interesting reading the property managers side of the argument.  But then property managers are interested in MAKING MONEY and my experience is that they do not much care about neighbours of their investments who for the most part an unwanted annoyance.  I mean you have money to make and things to do without dealing with these unreasonble distractions.

MY STORY.  I guess you would call me an unreasonable neighbour.  I built a lovely house in a seaside location.  The area was and is zoned Residential, which means that homes have to be used for residential purposes.  After the nice old guy next door sold we found that the new owner (a 20s investor) decided that he was going to rent his house as a party venue.  What we then got over the summer months was bucks, hens, schoolies, bozze up sessions and the like.  These activities happened on the deck of the house (facing our bedroom) and frequently went on unti 4 am over the summer months nearly every weekend.  The result after 4 years was the loss of health and having to 'retire' (I think thats the word) prematurely because I was stuffed.

In all of the responses I wonder if the people who complain about their pesky neighbours would themselves be happy if they were in the hot seat.  Realistically the rights of home owners should ALWAYS outweigh the rights of investors.  Of course if an area were zoned for other activity then it goes without saying that people are aware of what the purpose of the zoning is.  Trouble is investors often come in, see an opportunity and go for it.  Stuff the neighbours!!

I can see that I might be defending the Alamo by myself as I am on an investors page but I nevertheless state that IF ITS NOT RIGHT FOR YOUR NEIGHBOURHOOD THEN ITS NOT RIGHT FOR YOUR INVESTMENT NEIGHBOURHOOD.  Darn 'pesky' neighbours making your lives difficult!!!  May their prayers be answered.

Apr 27, 2011

We don't allow parties, period! In fact here in Vermont where people often rent houses for an entire ski season rental agreements often, or should I say almost always, specify that parties are not permited. In all these responses, only one owner talked about parties and I think he demonstrated a sensitivity to the problem.

We actually live next to our vacation rental and we have had exactly one noise problem in five years. Six guests here for a wedding brought back 14 friends afterwards and when they were still going at it at 11:00 we had to intervene. Not all renters should be classified as investors and made out to be money mongers!

Some people who happen to be neighbors just develop an attitude. For example, I have a neighbor who used to own our barn complex and operate a retail business here. I, likewise, operate a retail business but added a seasonal gourmet scoop shop which means people are miling around eating ice cream cones and similar fare in our picnic area. His dog is always in bothering our customers so the animal control officer or constable is repeatedly on his case. Do you think he complains about my retail store - no, but the ice cream take-out - you bet.

Civility on all sides should rule. And open communication would help.

Apr 27, 2011

I agree with much of what you say palmerkane.  If people were fair and reasonable then there would be no issues and there would be no need for legislative controls.  Unfortunately my experience of people is that this is the exception, not the rule and most people do what they want providing they can get away with it.

I was in the US last year and saw a fair bit of harmony.  It was a surprise seeing rich people, poor people and businesses all coexisting. In Australia we have zonings which specify what can be done in a particular geographic area.  Residential zones are strictly for living but there have been inroads made by investors who have managed to introduce 'holiday letting' and of course this use has now moved on to party house rentals which is being opposed by neighbours because it destroys residential amenity as well as the health of neighbours who move house when they have not the grit, patience or ability to close down a feral investor.  My 4 year battle with our local negligent council (Gosford City Council), the loss of my health and early retirment are a testament to the effects of greedy investors.  I think that you can see why this happens when a weekend rental for a bucks party pulls in $1700 whilst a rental to a family would only pull in $600.  THIS IS WHY LEGISLATION IS NEEDED AND POLICED.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear.  Yes I understand that you might also get unreasonable neighbours.  But in the end ask yourself how you would feel living in your nice quiet home with a neighbour who turned his rental house into party central......yes we have laws against this here to.  But what do you do with a council which ignores the problem because there are relationships with the real estate industry?  This is the council which was responsible for the deaths of 5 people on the Pacific Highway only a few years ago because it would not fix a road which was seriously damaged and ready to collapse, which it did.  Ok, don't get me started about the worst council in all of Australia.  The point I am trying to make is that your position is one of both sides being 'reasonable'.  Sorry to break the news but it dont happen.  Where money is concerned the worst side of people invariably comes out  -  ask families involved in estates if you do not choose to believe this staement.

Hope you can strike a happy balance with your neighbour.  Perhaps chewing the fat with him/her and seeing the other side of the argument may help.   Being a bit contrite and showing a caring side also helps and your neighbour may move to the middle ground where an amicable resolution could occur.  Good luck.

Apr 27, 2011

Sounds like you’ve got a party-house-problem…not a vacation-house problem.  I understand exactly what you mean…we have one a few doors down the street.  We also have vacation rentals on either side of me.  And below me (I live in the upstairs unit, the bottom one is a vacation rental).  Vacation rentals are generally not problems because they tend to cater to families or people whose primary purpose is to relax, not party and boozing.  I can see where party houses could be a big problem. The party-house near me is sometimes a problem…I try to cut them a little slack. A Saturday night party every few months doesn’t bother me if it isn’t “out-of-control” and quiets down after midnight.  If it is I call the police.  I have noticed that they don’t get the rental-business that the vacation rentals do, perhaps because they are much more expensive.  And also, you can throw a party anywhere…you don’t need a beachfront rental (we are right on the beach) to have a party.  Beachfront rentals are much more conducive to families whose primary activities are beach-oriented during the day, not at night.   If you have a BIG party-house problem you may have a legal action for interference with the quiet-enjoyment of your property [i.e., a “nuisance” suit). Especially if they are violating local ordinances.  See a real-estate lawyer.

Apr 27, 2011

Ah..........yee of great understanding.  Nice to hear from someone who has a good handle on what actually happens.  Of course it is not difficult to see why investors will book a bucks party @ $1700 per weekend when they only get a pitance for a family for the same time frame.  It is a numbers game and it is about business not decency.

can sleep at night.

landlord.  There should be more of you.

Cheers.

michael

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:24:20 -0500

created by voor123 in Interacting with Guests - View the full discussion

Sounds like you’ve got a party-house-problem…not a vacation-house problem.  I understand exactly what you mean…we have one a few doors down the street.  We also have vacation rentals on either side of me.  And below me (I live in the upstairs unit, the bottom one is a vacation rental).  Vacation rentals are generally not problems because they tend to cater to families or people whose primary purpose is to relax, not party and boozing.  I can see where party houses could be a big problem. The party-house near me is sometimes a problem…I try to cut them a little slack. A Saturday night party every few months doesn’t bother me if it isn’t “out-of-control” and quiets down after midnight.  If it is I call the police.  I have noticed that they don’t get the rental-business that the vacation rentals do, perhaps because they are much more expensive.  And also, you can throw a party anywhere…you don’t need a beachfront rental (we are right on the beach) to have a party.  Beachfront rentals are much more conducive to families whose primary activities are beach-oriented during the day, not at night.   If you have a BIG party-house problem you may have a legal action for interference with the quiet-enjoyment of your property [i.e., a “nuisance” suit). Especially if they are violating local ordinances.  See a real-estate lawyer.

Dec 17, 2010

I also police my vacation rental on a golf course very closely and live within 20 miles.  I am very respectful to my neighbors and have know most of them for years.  I was forced to vacation rental my home after the death of my husband and could only hold on to the home by doing this.  My neighbors are well aware and call me if there are any problems.  Now mind you, my neighbors are the ones that have kept me up nights on the weekends with parties that last all night long, outdoor fires and guitar music.  So needless to say they rarely call me.  I let them know when I have couples or groups coming and for how long they are staying.  I think they are just happy to see me keep the house and that is well maintained. 

Investors have come into our neighborhood and some have restored the houses and yards to their original beauty.  They are also renting to large and loud parties with little or no supervision.  The neighbors have complained about the parties and shouting of abusive language to golfers on the golf course.  So, I have also made an effort to know who owns those rentals and contact numbers. This way we all work together in keeping a happy and peaceful community.

I think communication, to your renters, to your neighbors is the key to keeping everyone happy and avoiding the police and HOAs.

Apr 27, 2011

Thanks for your response.  Good call.

can sleep at night.

Cheers.

michael

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 12:42:40 -0500

created by lmccull90 in Interacting with Guests - View the full discussion

I also police my vacation rental on a golf course very closely and live within 20 miles.  I am very respectful to my neighbors and have know most of them for years.  I was forced to vacation rental my home after the death of my husband and could only hold on to the home by doing this.  My neighbors are well aware and call me if there are any problems.  Now mind you, my neighbors are the ones that have kept me up nights on the weekends with parties that last all night long, outdoor fires and guitar music.  So needless to say they rarely call me.  I let them know when I have couples or groups coming and for how long they are staying.  I think they are just happy to see me keep the house and that is well maintained.   Investors have come into our neighborhood and some have restored the houses and yards to their original beauty.  They are also renting to large and loud parties with little or no supervision.  The neighbors have complained about the parties and shouting of abusive language to golfers on the golf course.  So, I have also made an effort to know who owns those rentals and contact numbers. This way we all work together in keeping a happy and peaceful community. I think communication, to your renters, to your neighbors is the key to keeping everyone happy and avoiding the police and HOAs.

Apr 27, 2011

´╗┐

´╗┐Some good replies from people who understand what can and does go wrong.  'Pesky neighbours' can simply be people who expect to be treated with a bit of respect and courtesy.  What many of the contributors have hit upon is that it is all about people on both sides, some good some bad.

Congratulations to the good landlords on this board.  We need more of them. 

• New Member 16 posts since
    Apr 1, 2011

We live in an area of Hawaii were the lots are relatively big (10,000 sq. ft.) but most people live outdoors and the sound travels easily. Our rental is within our property.

What we do is to BEND BACKWARDS to make sure our neighbors are pleased. For example, our neighbors were installing a roof and spent a whole Sunday making loud noises. It was 9:30pm and they kept going on.  The elderly couple who was staying in our cottage went out and complaint loudly to our neighbors (who did finish a little later, but the truth is they had to finish the job before the rain came back).  We apologized to our renters and offered to give them monetary compensation (they did not want it) BUT we also went to apologize to our neighbors for our guest remark. Our neighbors were pleasantly surprised.

We also have an older lady that lives across the street from us and who HATES when anybody parks in front of her house (although it is street parking and thus perfectly OK), so we also share this info with our guest and make sure everybody parks in the designated spot within our property.

And the list goes on... Basically, our neighbors are here to stay and our guests come and go.  We do want our guests to have the best experience possible, but always within civil and respectful boundaries.

Just my 2 cents,

~Eva

Apr 27, 2011
      Apr 28, 2011 10:39 PM (in response to epv)

Good call.  I agree with much of what you said and I like the line about guests coming and going.  Its true.  Yes I know people can be a pain but then you live on the premises and do the right thing.  Around me we have scumbag investors who pull every cent out of the rentals they can.  They don't care about the neighbours, the state of their properties or anything else other than the money. 

Wish I lived in your neighbourhood.  Keep up the good work.  Good to hear from decent people.

Cheers.

michael

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 22:27:35 -0500

created by epv in Interacting with Guests - View the full discussion

We live in an area of Hawaii were the lots are relatively big (10,000 sq. ft.) but most people live outdoors and the sound travels easily. Our rental is within our property. What we do is to BEND BACKWARDS to make sure our neighbors are pleased. For example, our neighbors were installing a roof and spent a whole Sunday making loud noises. It was 9:30pm and they kept going on.  The elderly couple who was staying in our cottage went out and complaint loudly to our neighbors (who did finish a little later, but the truth is they had to finish the job before the rain came back).  We apologized to our renters and offered to give them monetary compensation (they did not want it) BUT we also went to apologize to our neighbors for our guest remark. Our neighbors were pleasantly surprised. We also have an older lady that lives across the street from us and who HATES when anybody parks in front of her house (although it is street parking and thus perfectly OK), so we also share this info with our guest and make sure everybody parks in the designated spot within our property. And the list goes on... Basically, our neighbors are here to stay and our guests come and go.  We do want our guests to have the best experience possible, but always within civil and respectful boundaries. Just my 2 cents,~Eva

• New Member 6 posts since
    Sep 7, 2011

Aside from the legal implications, you have to decide how important it is to maintain harmony with the neighbours.

I suspect that with most issues of this type, the neighbours are justified in their complaints in some cases and just unhappy that you are running a rental in others.

If the community is generally very quiet and rentals are the exception you are likely in for a long and ugly battle until you either sell the property or the current neighbours move.

If it is a property that you plan to use for your own enjoyment in the future, it may be worth the effort to screen your tenants more carefully to mitigate problems with the neighbours.

As tempting as it is to "fight back" with basketball courts, flood lights and other threats, in the end this strategy  usually spirals into a disaster for everyone involved - both financially and emotionally.

It is best to be the one to take the "high road" and  hold out an olive branch. Try to sit down with the neighbours and come to some kind of reasonable agreement as to what is acceptable to both parties. For example, you could agree to not rent out the property during certain weekends or weeks that are important to the neighbour.

After all, a cabin or cottage at the lake is supposed to be the refuge that provides an escape from the stresses of everyday life, not the source of them.

Join us in the Cottage and Cabin Owners and Renters Group!

cheers,

CottageTips

• native7 Contributor 47 posts since
    Mar 16, 2012

We too have been at both ends of this problem.  We own several vacation rentals and are super sensitive of our neighbors.  We limit the number of guests and do not allow events to be held on property, except for those that are in special areas that are suited for events and have adequate parking to accomadate guests. 

Unfortunately, some owners just do not care about the impact on neighborhoods and these are the ones that cause the bans many of us are dealing with.  We lived in a very high end historic Neighborhood in Florida and had several Vacation rentals in our area that operated with no problem. 

Then one neighbor decided to create the ultimate party house.  Events every weekend with live bands, fireworks, even valet parking on the narrow streets of this small historic neighborhood.  This set off a minefield of complaints and attempted regulations....

All because of one bad apple!

Apr 27, 2011

NIce sentiment native7.  It is good that you are not one of the scumbag landlords or realtors who are happy to trample on the rights of neighbours to live in their own homes.  Unfortunately, having been through this for many years I have to tell you the bad news:  whilst ever investors or realtors are allowed to misuse residential property they will.  When I put the matter to the investor who purchased the property next door to me his response was "council lets me do it".  It took over 3 years to stop the 24 hour a day bucks, hens, parties (and more) which went on on the deck of the property for most of the summer.

In the end you do need regulation as not all owners and realtors are responsible.  Where there is a buck concerned there are those who just don't care unless it is next door to their own house.  Unfortunately the bad eggs in society always ruin it for decent people and in the end government has to decide whether to turn a blind eye or protect society.  Eventually when there are enough calls and political pressure they act.  Despite the impost of regulations which are the bane of all it is a necessary end.

Again, always good to hear from responsible landlords.  There should  be more of them.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points