Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
4915 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2011 10:40 AM by twobitrentals RSS
margie526 New Member 24 posts since
Feb 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 10, 2011 11:53 AM

Check out time, how to get renters out on time!

Hi, I've rented my condo in Wildwood Crest for one summer season and overall it was a great experience.  The one major issue I seemed to have is how to get the outgoing guests to leave on time.  I have notifications everywhere (in lease, in booking confirmation, posted in condo two places).  What else can I do to get them out?  Does anyone else have this problem?  Help!!!

• sophie Senior Contributor 969 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    Mar 11, 2011 9:35 AM (in response to margie526)

My housekeeper shows up at the exact time of checkout. They usually move along quite quickly when she goes in and starts cleaning!  I have also put in my conctract (per another discussion here) that "Early arrivals or late departures are subject to a $25 per 1/2 hour fine"  If you are close to your property, you can always do a "check out" like a check in.

• New Member 3 posts since
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mar 16, 2011 3:34 PM (in response to margie526)

You need a pushy houskeeper who will arrive on time and call you if her presence is not enough.  I seldom have this problem. After all, you do have their deposit, and can charge them for the extra day. in bold, on contract: Late checkouts and early check-in subject to charges. 

Nancy

• terirusso Contributor 101 posts since
    Mar 30, 2011
    Apr 6, 2011 5:26 PM (in response to margie526)

Like Sophie, my cleaning people show up right at the time the renters are to be out. There are also weeks that I show up, like the weeks that we are using the house our selves. The renters were cooking eggs and bacon at 11am when check out was 10:30.  I brought my dog in, started cleaning and stripping beds right under them.They asked me if I was serious. I told them they had 20 minutes to check out. When the "cook" told me that they had just cooked all of this food, I told them that my kids would be there in a few minutes and I am sure they were hungry.  If they were staying in a hotel and asked for a late check out, they would be charged accordingly. For the cleaning people, I am not the only house they clean, and only have a certain amount of time to get all of the houses clean. If everyone leaves late, they can not get their job done.

• terirusso Contributor 101 posts since
        Mar 30, 2011
        Apr 8, 2011 4:42 PM (in response to margie526)

I think if everything else in the house is up to par, and they haven't complained about anything else, it should be OK. My cleaning people are on a strict time schedule, and have more than one property to clean and check, so it is important that my renters understand that the reason the house was as clean as it was when they moved in was because there was enough time to get it that way.If no one is comming in that day, or if the next guest has informed me that they will be comming in late in the day, I usually call the people that are checking out that they can take some extra time leaving and the cleaning people will do my house last. The people who were still cooking breakfast a half hour after they were supposed to be out were the exception, and not someone I really want as return renters anyway, as they had a lot more people staying in the house than they were supposed to.

• cairnsholidayhomes Contributor 34 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    Apr 6, 2011 8:18 PM (in response to margie526)

Because we live close to our own holiday home, we check guests in and out ourselves.  I phone the night before to say that I will be there to collect the keys at 9.55am and so far have had no problems with people leaving late. Our checkout is flexible if there is no one coming in on the same day, but we have to be told in advance about a departure time. All our homes are run by their owners who do the same thing and this has worked for them too.

I think a deduction from the bond for a time 'overstay' is perfectly fair. As terirusso said, no hotel would tolerate it, without extra payment. As long as you make this clear before the guest books your property, it should act as a deterrent. People like to get a full refund!

Lizzie

http://www.facebook.com/cairnsholidayhomes

http://www.cairnsholidayhomes.com.au

• New Member 2 posts since
    Apr 1, 2011
    Apr 6, 2011 11:14 PM (in response to margie526)

We use a Kaba lock on our doors and the code changes right at checkout.  Has never been an issue though as our cleaning people are typically there within fifteen minutes after checkout time.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points