Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
9958 Views 43 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2012 1:42 PM by patrickduncan RSS
scottr Contributor 201 posts since
Aug 14, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 10, 2012 1:30 PM

Rates not showing/calculating correctly

Before the upgrade two weeks ago, rates were set by going to "Edit Listing" and selecting "Rates".  You could define your nightly and weekly rates, and define your seasons.  These were calculated correctly when guests used the weekly rate filter, or selected dates for their stay.  For example, if they selected Nov 7 -10, and a weekly rate of $1000 or less, properties would show that had a weekly rate defined that was less than $1000 AND had the dates Nov. 7-10 included in a season definition.

After the upgrade, there is also a place define rates in the "Settings" tab.  The rates are also still allowed to be defined in the "Rates" section of "Edit listing".  This has caused a few problems.  The calculation for the rates that is used by filters is based on the information in the "Settings" tab, not the "Edit Listing" tab AND the infromation displayed to guests on the site is from the "Settings" tab.  Owners need to be aware of this because once you open the "Rates" section in "Settings, you can't go back! I thought I was only testing the "Book Now" feature, but was actually adjusting the rate for all searches.  This is a huge issue bcause there is no way to define a weekly rate when you use the seasonal section of the new settings tab!  I tried to undo the nighlty rate in the "Settings" tab but can't.  I put it back to a lower nightly rate three days ago and it is still not reflected on the web site.  My listing has essentially disappeared for anyone filtering by rates.

Lastly, in order to get all of this to work correctly (and assuming that HA will eventually reflect my change on the site), I need to use only the basic rate, and then update it for each season.  This is the only way to get a correct nightly rate to show, while making sure that the correct weekly rate is used in rate filters.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or found a better solution?

• HomeAway Employee 38 posts since
    Jun 25, 2012
    Sep 10, 2012 2:25 PM (in response to scottr)
    Re: Rates not showing/calculating correctly

ig867sr,

Could you please provide me with your HomeAway Property Number.  I would like to contact you to discuss and troubleshoot this issue.

We certainly want to get you squared away as soon as possible.

I look forward to speaking with.

Best Regards,

Alex

• shannon.martin Contributor 221 posts since
      Feb 23, 2011
      Sep 14, 2012 4:34 PM (in response to scottr)

Hi Scott,

That format is based on the older rates matrix that has been replaced with the ReservationManager rates form (PM me the listing number and I can confirm for sure). Once you have switched to ReservationManager, the old rates matrix is no longer available.

Thanks,
      Shannon

• New Member 10 posts since
        Sep 8, 2012
        Sep 17, 2012 2:54 PM (in response to shannon.martin)

Hi Shannon,

You helped me out in another discussion.  I've been on VRBO a few months and added US bundle a couple weeks back to my listing #425749.  I understood from You that to add rates to my Homeaway listing in chart form, that I needed to select Book it now option in my VRBO Dashboard since I don't have one in Homeaway's owner site.  Another in an earlier forum said I didn't have to complete the payment option part to get the rate chart to show. Well, it seems I've really messed up something. I couldn't find a place to input weekly and monthly rates for the seasons and now my old VRBO rate info no longer shows on public site. It is totally incorrect & now I just want to go back to old VRBO grid. Can anyone please help me?  Thanks much!

Janice

• New Member 4 posts since
    Aug 28, 2012
    Sep 15, 2012 1:28 PM (in response to scottr)

The new system sucks, I had to resort to posting my rates in the description area, when I look at other listings most are still on the old system. Im sure most wont like this when they next make any changes to their listing

• anja Senior Contributor 1,555 posts since
      Aug 9, 2011
      Sep 15, 2012 4:50 PM (in response to dinosinc)

I just discovered TODAY that my entire section for "Rates Details" is also "gone"....and I'm having trouble re-inserting what I need there.

There is no "field" to include the details I want posted.   And, what I must include, by law  in my State, in the rates section is also GONE....and that is my Hawaii Tax I.D. #.  

When I viewed every single other owners' listings...they were still presented as blocks of text....the "old matrix"....and that is what I want *back*...I want the old matrix format for the Rate Details back on my ad.....-or-....at least give me the possiblity to insert my details in the 'rate section', underneath it, please. 

Right now, The System will not permit me any additional space to re-upload my details, not even above or under the "new format for rate presentation ....the new format is *very unflexible*...and not useful enough.

Why...VRBO...why?  

Is there a  IT TECHNICIAN that can help,  please....I need to be able to insert some information....other than "basic rate" per night!  And, why does the system insert a message that the month rate will depend upon the number of nights....*when I do not even offer a month rate....and never did*?   In fact, my original Rate Detail section stated:  "No Month Duration Offered".   The System wiped out ALL of my "details" that I want and need presented.!  

Why...VRBO...why? 

• crescentbeach4u Community All-Star 861 posts since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Sep 18, 2012 7:40 AM (in response to scottr)

I have added my rates but this ridiculously low rate of $71 shows up in the header.  I do not offer this rate but I believe it is derived from a monthly rate devided by the days.  But I do not rent by the night.  I have now had two potential customers calling me telling me to book them at these great rates.   THE PROBLEM IS THAT THEY ARE NOT THE RATES.  THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED PLEASE.

rates4.JPG

SHANNON.....ANY THOUGHTS OR HELP ON THIS IS APPRECIATED!

Aug 28, 2012
      Sep 18, 2012 9:53 AM (in response to crescentbeach4u)

Good luck with that, here is the response I got... I think choice would have been a better option

Thank you for contacting VRBO.com Customer Support.

Unfortunately, we are moving towards structured rates for all owners and there is not a way to restore the previous version. Please continue to edit your rates so you can display the most accurate rates for your listing.

If you need further assistance, please visit our Help page at the link below to find commonly asked questions and answers.

http://help.homeaway.com/?brand=vrbo

Jun 25, 2012
      Sep 20, 2012 8:12 AM (in response to crescentbeach4u)

crescentbeach4u,

This is a feature we are currently working hard to improve.

There are a few ideas we're discussing with regard to the way the rates summary is displayed. 

Thank you so much for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Alex

Aug 9, 2011
        Sep 19, 2012 1:44 PM (in response to sunseared77)

sunseared77

Good to know that.  Thank you.

Would you please include a "blank field" where we can enter a bit of explanatory text ...6  to 8 lines  for example...where we can input a few details.  I will not be using "Book It Now" for my home.....so I am asking for some flexibility for those of us who pay for subscriptions that are just "basic advertising subscriptions",  please.  Just basic rate displayed with a option to post rates, as we offer them.  For, example I do not have a  "monthly"....I do not have an "event" rate.....I do not even have "seasonal" rates....and I have my own little tool that does my calcalutions for my prospects.  I would just like HA to give us a break and offer subscribers a *choice* of how they want to communicate their details to travellers who come upon their ad. 

Please just make it "optional" for all these automated  features.... let some of  us just enter a rate....and some "text lines" so that some of us (myself included) could inform how we discount, for example...*please*...*please*....nothing fancy.. *Please* give us an *option* for that. 

Please!

One item is my State's -- Hawaii legislation to post Tax I.D.s on listings......please note that HA also recently sent to all Hawaii Owners a notice to remember to include in their  Tax I.D.s  in their ads....but HA gave us no place to include it.    Why should I have to "create an event" or a "special" to force my Tax I.D. into the grid. 

I have other information that I can not force into "grid" format.  Please give us a "field box for 6 - 8 lines". 

• New Member 17 posts since
        Sep 15, 2012
        Sep 19, 2012 2:09 PM (in response to sunseared77)

Alex:

Can you clarify what feature you are trying to improve?  This last update is so seriously flawed I don't even know where to start.  To help you out, here is a short list:

1)  When I go your home page, I see range for nightly rates and a range for weekly rates.  These values are not accessible from my dashboard!!  Someone in support told me to change these values.  I asked where to change them (twice) and never heard back. 

Capture.PNG

2) The price filter on the home page allows users to sort prices by the weekly rate.  The only place to set a weekly rate is in the basic rate section.  If I use seasonal rates, I can't set a weekly rate.

3) Basic rate doesn't have any concept of time, so I either mislead peak-season guests with an off-season rate, of post my peak-season rate and not book an off-season

4) Owners who haven't tried to make any rate chanes don't have any of these issues and their sites continue to look correct.  This listing has never touched their rates.  On the summary page, it shows:

Capture.PNG

and on the detail page it shows

Capture.PNG

and their seasonal rate is very clear with a week-end, weekly and montly rate

Capture.PNG

Then, there is this unfortunate owner who tried to update their rates.  They have a nicely formatted summary page (whose data is no longer accessible)

Capture.PNG

But when you go the details, all you get is a nightly rate (that is wrong).  There is no way to put a weekly rate and have it show up here.

Capture.PNG

If you then go down to the rates section, the basic rate shows a nightly rate (incorreclty since there is no way to define week-end rate) and a correct weekly rate

Capture.PNG

Finally, you if you go down to seasonal rates, you find a correclty defined week-night and week-end rate, but an incorrect weekly rate, because it is impossible to define a weekly rate in a seasonal definition.

Capture.PNG

Things are so horribly broken that is impossible to even determine your intent on some of these issues.  Support is disconnected from the real issues, giving suggestions that are completely wrong, telling me to make changes that can't be made, requesting calls that are never made, telling me they will research and get back (and then I never hear from them again).  I feel badly that you (support) guys personally are in this position but HA has had plenty of chances to correct their site update issues, but keeps makeing gross errors over and over again.  

Pardon the rant.  I am really losing my patience over this rate issue. Looking forward to our call tomorrow.

Sep 10, 2011
          Sep 19, 2012 2:15 PM (in response to roxi3)

I believe we will see changes coming soon to make it a better experience for all of us.  Your issues have echoed many that have already been expressed. 

Sep 15, 2012
            Sep 19, 2012 2:35 PM (in response to crescentbeach4u)

I was quite happy with the way it was prior to the last change. It worked great for over a year.  I am not looking forward to any more changes.  Frankly, if I had just signed and was trying to set up my site on the current version,  I would have thrown up my hands in disgust and looked someplace else. 

I see from your listing that your minimum stay is 7 nights, so you are only minimally impacted. 

Sep 10, 2011
              Sep 19, 2012 2:58 PM (in response to roxi3)

Officially I do weekly and monthly but have been know to do 1-3 days as well.

Aug 9, 2011
              Sep 19, 2012 3:22 PM (in response to roxi3)

Ahhh... memories....the way it was.  VRBO simple advertising "rocked" my world since 2001. I have memories.

"Misty water-colored memories of the way we were.  Can it be that it was all so simple then.....la la la".

I'm not opposed to changes and I like the new layout's  "look and feel".  Please just make this "rate display"  flexible...practical...easy   for all of us to work with this...if we are not using RM....if we are not using BIN (Book It Now).  Not all paying advertisers on VRBO ..will fit the matrix rate scales for RM and BIN......some people just want to pay for advertising, post a rate(s)...post their discount policy.   This is not rocket science....we need an "open field"...and be able to "opt out" of any special feature that was set up specificially for RM and BIN to work. 

Sep 15, 2012
                Sep 19, 2012 3:30 PM (in response to anja)

The perplexing thing for me is that I have always used RM.  That means that HA knew exactly what my rate structure was.  I've never used anything else and have completely managed my rental through HA.  I have no backup system or other process that I can use.  Now, I don't even know what I had set for holiday rates and am going from memory.  

• New Member 2 posts since
    Sep 25, 2012
    Sep 26, 2012 12:46 AM (in response to scottr)

I too have been very frustrated with this new rate form feature.  I would prefer we have the option to display the textual rate information in a free format allowing us to display to potential renters the specifics of our unit rates and policies.  When I first started using VRBO I was able to use the free format text boxes.  Once I signed up for Reservation Manager I was forced to enter the rates in the forms and there are quite a few short comings with this method.  I also have the Hawaii State requirement to show our Tax ID# on the site.  I have had to resort to putting my previous textual rate information with Tax Id at the end of the description of our unit.  It would be great if we could have that option put back in service and display at the top of the rate form itself.

Here's a TIP if you think you've lost the textual rate information, I found a way to get to display for copy and paste purposes.  When you are in Edit Listing and you go into the Preview Listing mode, click on the Rates tab and the textual rate information is there in display mode only.  You can highlight it and Ctrl-C to copy and paste into your description text box if you wish.

We also lost the rate summary text box where I could display the low and the high rate range that would show up in searches.  Now all that shows is the high rate and I've noticed my inquiries have dwindled ever since I signed up with Reservation Manager and the new rate forms are displayed on my site.

I would be happy to volunteer as a user representative to help the VRBO / HA programmers to make these new features more customer / user friendly.

• New Member 1 posts since
    Sep 30, 2012
    Sep 30, 2012 10:33 PM (in response to scottr)

We have also experienced our rates not showing or calculating correctly since we signed up with Reservation Manager. Up until we signed up, we received inquiries every day but none since, and no wonder with the inaccurate way our rates display on our site since we signed up with Reservation Manager. We've tried everything to fix this on our own, but the system won't accept our changes. This has caused us a great deal of stress. Customer service has been unresponsive although we've contacted them every day for a week.

• New Member 3 posts since
    Sep 30, 2012
    Sep 30, 2012 11:04 PM (in response to scottr)

Roxi3 said it all. The upgrade damaged the sites of  VRBO owners that attempted to edit their rates. Our rates no longer show or calculate correctly on our site, which misleads travelers. We have expended way too many hours trying to fix this, and our patience is wearing very thin. There is no place to change the values, no place for weekly or monthly rates for Seasonal Rates, and no place for changing values on the search page. The changes that we make on the poorly designed owner dashboard won't even transfer to our VRBO site. Customer service has not responded to any of our requests for help.

When we first signed up for VRBO, it was easy to enter information for weekly and monthly rates; this new format is awful and that is what has caused problems for owners like us that signed up for Reservation Manager. Most travelers are looking for weekly or monthly rentals, not nightly. And most property owners want to provide weekly or monthly rentals, not nightly.

Apparently VRBO and HomeAway are more responsive to  travelers than they are to their customers, the property owners that pay for  the listings.

Jun 19, 2012
    Oct 1, 2012 5:40 AM (in response to scottr)

Hi Everyone

I agree with all of your problems and it is a HUGE ISSUE! Especially as HA seem to have known about this since at least 10th September!! We clicked on the 'payments' button when it appeared on our dashboard on 18th September, not knowing that it would remove our rates table from the view of our potential customers! As the payments section doesn;t work either we are now stuck. We have had no enquiries at all since 18th September - the week before we had five - 3 via the site and 2 by telephone.

What international site launches software before it is thoroughly tested for bugs and problems I ask? Why can't they just roll back to the old set up to get us all back on course again? I am not impressed at all. We all rely on the website for income and come renewal we will all be thinking seriously about this issue and whether another site might prove more reliable I'm quite sure.

Sally Clark

Aug 28, 2012
      Oct 1, 2012 10:00 AM (in response to sally.clark)

Same here I'm getting more requests from my Kijiji listing than VRBO since the update, so far not a very good 300.00 investment

Jun 25, 2012
        Oct 1, 2012 11:30 AM (in response to dinosinc)

Roxi3 and others,

We have been working very hard to collect data and suggestions in order to turn them in to Enhancements for implementation in the next release.  Thanks to you and the other contributing community members, we have been able to receive these suggestions right from the front lines via OLB Community Discussion.  We appreciate this – Now, regarding your concerns in the order you posted them:

• The Rate Summary from your question is range of rates (nightly, weekly, and/or monthly) pulled from the Seasons and other Rental Periods in your current Structured Rates Setup.  If a nightly is not designated, the system realizes a nightly figure by dividing the weekly rate by 7.  We are currently revisiting the manner in which this summary and the Online Booking Rates are displayed.   

• Weekly Rate for Seasonal Periods (with regard to Price Filter on live site) – We will be adding this soon.

• Peak season/Seasonal Rates Display – I understand where the rate displayed could be slightly confusing to a traveler.   Again, we are currently revisiting the manner in which these rates are displayed.

• OLD vs. NEW
          • With regard to the ability to reference those old rates:  Submitted as Enhancement Request. ( I have sent you an email with some Rate Information)
          • With regard to weekend rates:  Submitted as Enhancement – We discussed this over the phone.
          • With regard to the Weekly rate within Seasonal periods – I’m looking into this..

• If you feel any items need to be investigated further, please post again – Also, if you need to speak with me again directly, please send me a personal message via community.

'tom.leepper@yahoo.com' - I will be in touch today and we'll discuss any issues you seem to be experiencing.

Anja, Jaynew -  The open text field for rate description flexibility has already been submitted as an enhancement request.

Jaynew - A notification that informs customers that Old rates will be overwritten is in the works to be added.  Also, I could certainly see how referencing that old rate information could be quite useful during setup, or any other time - I have already submitted this as enhancement request as well.

Dinosinc and Sally.clark – I will be happy to contact you to discuss potential issues you see.  I would also be happy to reference old rates to assist you in the Structured Rate setup if need be.  If you would prefer to do this, please send me a personal message via Community (WITH your HA/VRBO number), the best phone#, and time to contact you.

A ‘shout-out” to crescentbeach4u!

"I believe we will see changes coming soon to make it a better experience for all of us.  Your issues have echoed many that have already been expressed."

> Thank you for understanding - We are working as quickly as possible to make the improvements based on your feedback and our testing. Cheers!

Best Regards,

Alex

HomeAway and VRBO Tech Support

Jun 19, 2012
          Oct 1, 2012 1:04 PM (in response to sunseared77)

Hi Alex

My main concern is now that our rates do not appear on the live website. We have had no enquiries since we dabbled with the payments part of the dashboard and this is our income. Can you contact me on 01983 853285 or 07979 670 354 tomorrow morning please? Our property is 1005095. If you can't fix this, can we have a new listing please?

Regards

Sally

Sep 25, 2012
          Oct 1, 2012 2:04 PM (in response to sunseared77)

Alex,

Thank you for the follow-up on these issues. I appreciate knowing that enhancements are in the works.  I hope they are coming soon!  My inquiries have dwindled significantly (from 1 per day to if I'm lucky, 1 per week) since I move to Reservation Manager.  Since I've just started renting my unit, this is my only site I'm advertising on and don't want to have to move to something else if I don't have to.

Regarding the enhancement of "A notification that informs customers that Old rates will be overwritten is in the works to be added".  -- I don't want the textual rates to go away and I want the ability to have that textual description to show on my site for potential renters to see.  I put other things in there besides the rates like payment information (50% down 120 days prior to arrival, Hawaii state tax id, daily charge based on # of adults, etc.).  Could we have a check box that says "Display textual description" and "Display Rate Table" so that we could have either one or the other or both if we so choose?  It seems to me that would be most flexible and allow owner to display what they want their guests to see.

Also, the box we use to have for Rate Summary has gone away so when someone is searching for price, my high seasonal rate ($145) shows up and not the range ($125 - $145)  that I'd like to show up.  If someone is searching by price I show up toward the end even if the time frame is during the low or base rate period.  If you are not going to put the summary rate box back, then the seach functionality should go off the base rate (in my case $125), not a seasonal rate.

Thank you for your attention and assistance on this.

Jayne Wuerch

253-219-9761

VRBO #419987

Aug 9, 2011
            Oct 1, 2012 5:24 PM (in response to jaynew)

To Alex:  also, thank you for the response.  Very cool  to hear that our issues are being dealt with.  What  jaynew  is requesting is exactly what I have been pining for, as well.   [I could have written her post, myself....! ]

For all of the reasons "jaynew" stated, I'm patiently waiting for a fix...I know that you guys are working on it....please help soon.  

Sep 30, 2012
          Oct 1, 2012 5:25 PM (in response to sunseared77)

So what is the estimated timeframe for the Enhancement to fix the issues with your new release? It can't happen soon enough for stakeholders like us. I hope HomeAway understands that this is an urgent matter to its paying customers.

We've already lost business. We used to have daily inquiries on our listing, but we've had none ever since our move to Reservation Manager messed up the rates display on our site.

The system won't update our dashboard changes to the site. Last week, we spent (wasted) 15 hours trying to fix the rates on our site so they would appear at least somewhat accurate, in hopes that the company had finally fixed the issues with its dashboard and site updates. This has been a very stressful experience for us, and Customer Service has been unresponsive to our requests for assistance.

• shannon.martin Contributor 221 posts since
            Feb 23, 2011
            Oct 2, 2012 11:50 AM (in response to joyfulcyndi)

Hi Joyfulcyndi,

I'm sorry for the difficulties you are having - please expect the first round of enhancements to be released late next week. We'll be publishing specific info on changes closer to that date.

Regards,

Shannon

• skiandglee Active Contributor 506 posts since
              Apr 27, 2011
              Oct 2, 2012 11:57 AM (in response to shannon.martin)

Hi Shannon,

Next week?  Although getting an update on a timeline is definitely appreciated by all, does anybody there really realize that the end of next week will be a month since this change?  I'm a fan of VRBO/HA but I must confess my disappointment with VRBO/HA's decision to roll out this change without any notification and obviously no feedback from anyone that was going to use it.  I see then that repairing the damage is called "enhancements" which sugar coats the bad apple.  Having no means to roll back the implementation is unbelievable. 

Rick

www.vacationrentalhelper.com

Sep 30, 2012
              Oct 2, 2012 11:23 PM (in response to shannon.martin)

Shannon,

The sooner the better. I hope the first round "enhancement" resolves the issues that prevented property owners from the ability to update Seasonal Rates on the dashboard with monthly and weekly figures in addition to your company's new nightly rate format. Also we hope that we'll be able to once again be able to display our weekly and/or monthly rate range on the main web page that lists everyone's homes, just like those property owners still do whose site rates didn't get messed up like ours.

Thank you for your reply. I really do appreciate it.

- Cyndi

• New Member 1 posts since
    Oct 18, 2012
    Oct 18, 2012 8:55 PM (in response to scottr)

Please allow me to begin by saying that this is Home Away, this is not HOTEL AWAY, and I say this becasue when I called customer service regarding rate calculation, they stated that Hotels base their base rates on a nightly basis.  Considering I am renting out my home and the minumum stay is 1 week, which by the way, is actually 6 nights and 7 days, failure on your behalf to provide a weekly tab with a rate is just beyond my comprehension.  This matter should be corrected immediately if not expediently.  I have just paid you $350.00 for a listing that I had no idea I would not be able to enter 1 week, 2 week, 3 week, and one month rates.  There is absolutely no way for me to enter these rates in according to the current structure.   I only have 3 choices - 7 days and then, with the the other two choices,  I must decide how to break up the three remaining weeks in the month.  In reality, none of the rates presented in my ad are accurate except the weekly rate.  No matter how you slice it, two of the weeks out of a one month period must be listed at the same rate because you are only given 3 choices, not 4.  I for one, as a new customer, am infuriated!  You must take into consideration people who rent out their properties on a weekly basis and allow them to provide discounts at the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th weeks of a month. As it stands now in my ad, it appears renters will not recieve a discount until the three week period - and that is simply not acceptable!

• patrickduncan HomeAway Employee 142 posts since
    Mar 21, 2011
    Nov 5, 2012 1:42 PM (in response to scottr)

Hi Everyone -

While we continue to make improvements to the functionality, I want you to be aware of a new resouce in the Toolkit which includes instructions for common rates scenarios, details on how quotable rates are displayed in search results and on your listing, as well as instructional videos, and links to FAQs.

HomeAway Quotable Rates Toolkit

VRBO Quotable Rates Toolkit

I hope you find this additional information helpful and thank you for your continued feedback on quotable rates.

Regards,

Patrick

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points