Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
7132 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2013 8:36 AM by mike-dfv RSS
creeksidevacation Contributor 28 posts since
Jul 11, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 24, 2012 8:49 AM

Property Damage Protection Increase

What do you think about this?

Today, when I was responding to an inquiry with a quote, I noticed that an increase has been implemented.  I am disappointed that the least expensive option is now $49, which seems like a lot to add on if a guest is staying for only 2 or 3 days.  I am even more disappointed that we received absolutely no warning about a pending increase!  We purchase PDP as "insurance" and have never filed a claim, even a small one.  Maybe we should reconsider and file for the small stuff since there seems to be no discount for no claims, nor no penalty for frequent claims.  Maybe this is why the increase was deemed necessary by the company that provides this?  HomeAway, I hope you are looking for other providers for this service or less expensive easy escrow type options so that we can continue to rent our properties at competitive rates AND be protected with minimal hassle.

Thank you!

Creekside Vacation Home

• crescentbeach4u Community All-Star 862 posts since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Jul 24, 2012 8:51 AM (in response to creeksidevacation)
    Re: Property Damage Protection Increase

I am still showing the option to get the $39 insurance.  Have you filed a claim or something else could have raised your rates?

Best of luck

• whosails Contributor 25 posts since
      Jan 5, 2012
      Jul 24, 2012 2:06 PM (in response to crescentbeach4u)

I am not seeing an increase on their website. I did by the $49, $3000 protection for an upcoming guest today.

• New Member 1 posts since
    Jul 24, 2012
    Jul 24, 2012 4:21 PM (in response to creeksidevacation)

I just set out a quote and the smallest amount for $1,500 of coverage was $49.  This really isn't worth it anymore when your doing a weekly rental of only $400.  They need to come up with a method that is a percent of the rental fee it doesn't make sense that I charge the guy staying a week the same and the person staying a month.

• whosails Contributor 25 posts since
      Jan 5, 2012
      Jul 24, 2012 4:56 PM (in response to richard.gonzalez)

You are right in that I bought coverage today for $49 and it only covered $1500. I had been asking for $3000 protetion at that rate. It will now be $69 and $89 for the $5000.

They said that they were paying out more than they had been taking in. I understand that they are running a business but I will now have more problems collecting for insurance. I am caught because I can't ask for a security deposit for that much money.

I am going up on the rental of this property for next year and think I will include the insurance in the new rate.

Sep 10, 2011
    Jul 24, 2012 4:53 PM (in response to creeksidevacation)

My rates now just increased as well.  I will stop using CSA from this point forward.

Sep 10, 2011
    Jul 24, 2012 4:57 PM (in response to creeksidevacation)

I just sent CSA a message via their contact us email that because of this increase I will stop using them.

• New Member 8 posts since
    Jan 20, 2012
    Jul 24, 2012 7:01 PM (in response to creeksidevacation)

I had also sent a quote to a renter and when I went to fill out the "book it" form the price,as was stated before my reply, had A 50% INCREASE to $89.00 for $5000!!

I also called CSA and told them about it and they said they would honor the quote of $59.00 that I had already sent.

I told them they would lose a lot of customers including myself!

I'm not happy about this at all!

• 2barefeet Contributor 89 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    Jul 24, 2012 10:26 PM (in response to creeksidevacation)

I had an increase in bookings because I offered a small fee for insurance instead of holding a deposit.  I am trying to decide if I want to continue to offer the insurance.  This has not been a good week for my listing.  First my RM replies were being sent to SPAM for 3 of my guests and now an increase for the insurance.  Not to mention we were not notified of the change!  I have it quoted on my listing.  Guess I better decide soon!

• New Member 11 posts since
    Jul 16, 2012
    Jul 25, 2012 8:18 AM (in response to creeksidevacation)

I have two contracts pending with a $39 quote as well. I don't think this was handled properly by the company and I will also stop using the service.

When I first heard about this service I felt it could easily be abused, and I suspect that's what's happened.

• fishbonelbi Contributor 32 posts since
    Jan 28, 2011
    Aug 3, 2012 2:20 PM (in response to creeksidevacation)

Has anyone else noticed, in addition to the premium hikes, the inability to choose a different level of coverage than  your previous choices because it is not your "default" plan for your property listing?  Today when I tried to select a lower premium, it refused to let me buy anything except the maximum amount.  Just wondering if other folks encountered this recently, and if they found a way to change their "default" plan coverage.

• ttill New Member 3 posts since
    Dec 27, 2013
    Dec 27, 2013 12:18 PM (in response to creeksidevacation)

Don't use CSA - what a rip off for the home owner.  IF your tenant denies the damage, you get nothing!  Just happened to me and they have covered every guest for two years.  This was my first claim and I found them to be very unprofessional!  Will be charging a deposit from now on!

• mike-dfv Community All-Star 811 posts since
      Mar 5, 2011
      Dec 28, 2013 8:36 AM (in response to ttill)

Or ... imagine how much you would have built up in your own "insurance fund" if you'd been self-insuring for those two years! I offer my guests a choice between that and a Refundable Security Deposit. The overwhelming majority choose the Damage Waiver Fee and I've now built up a fund that is several times my deposit. A lot of folks here will say that it's important for guests to have "skin in the game". I've found the opposite to be true, though this may vary by location. Those who left my place in the worst shape put down a deposit, which I ended up not withholding anyway. This, so far, has worked great for me but your mileage may vary.

Make sure you are aware of all applicable laws and any potential implications this may have on your property insurance before implementing.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points