Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
7380 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2012 4:01 PM by bigigirl RSS
nightskyveiw Contributor 29 posts since
Aug 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 20, 2011 2:56 AM

Clean Comforters every 10 rentals ?

I was reading the seven things you should do in your rental each month and when i read the last one that said clean blankets and comforters every

10 rentals, I immediately started to itch. With all the dead skin that falls off peoples bodies, the hair, sweat and not mention the fact that most of these

people are on vacation having a "Good Time" ten rentals is way too long to wait to wash comforters and blankets.

I tend to want things very clean so I could not let a new group of renters use the same comforters and such that another guest party has used.

Then again that is me. I would say if you had to let multiple people use the same blankets the max should be 3 rentals and that would depend heavily

on if they were there for just 2 nights or 7.

• anja Senior Contributor 1,555 posts since
    Aug 9, 2011
    Aug 20, 2011 4:10 AM (in response to nightskyveiw)
    Clean Comforters every 10 rentals ?

You are so right...fully agree.  First of all, I would not be happy sleeping with bedding that many others have slept with before me!  So, I have multiple sets of all of the bedding, comforters, blankets,  etc...and I switch them out after every guest check out. It's always fresh for the next people...even if the turn over is same day. We can furnish and stock our places with all kinds of nice furniture, gourmet kitchen things, amenities etc....but it's the 'bed and the bath'  that I believe are the two most important "experiences" and house features.  I buy high end bedding because I want my guests to notice quality and confort when the slip in between the sheets and pull up a blanket to snuggle. There's nothing like getting into a crisp, fresh smelling bed...IMO.

• sfvacationhut Community All-Star 643 posts since
      Dec 31, 2010
      Aug 12, 2012 10:54 PM (in response to anja)
      Re: Clean Comforters every 10 rentals ?

We have duvet covers for the comforters, so we are easily able to clean the duvet cover between every guest.

We have 2 of the exact same duvet cover, so all we have to do is switch the duvet covers.

Do y'all think it's icky that the comforter inside wasn't cleaned between each guest, or is it good enough just cleaning the duvet cover?  So far the bed always seems nice and fresh smelling.

Also, at what frequency do you think we should wash the comforter inside, since we wash the duvet cover every time?

• anja Senior Contributor 1,555 posts since
        Aug 9, 2011
        Aug 18, 2012 4:48 PM (in response to sfvacationhut)

I forgot about this thread...(sorry for not answering sooner).

I have several sets of all the bedding for my two units (each has one bed + there are 2 sofa beds).   I completely change all the bedding in between guests. 

But, I'm in a warm climate year round so we do not need heavy bedding --- so my things are easier to wash and dry quickly.  But, we do use blankets ...and I do also offer *summer* comforters for the cooler nights in the winter season {November to March}

I make up the beds with one cosy blanket (newly washed)....and the "summer" comforters are in the closets, for anyone's preference.   If they are used by someone,  I do toss them in the wash right away.....whether they put the duvets on or not.   It's all relative to what people want to do here...ref. the night temperatures at any time of the year.  Actually, it can become cool during the nights regardless of the season. 

So, I'm washing everything used in between.  But, if you are making up the bed with a fresh washed duvet protecting the comforter,  I think, as long as the comforter inside the duvet remains dry [from sweat, other], it should be safe / acceptable to wash after a few uses...but I'm thinking more like after 3 people have slept with it. 

It just needs to be checked carefully when the duvet is stripped off...maybe more washing frequency...maybe less frequency.  I am aware that human nature does not necessarily dictate that our guests are "just"  **sleeping**  with our comforters, if you catch my drift!  I have discovered, to my dismay and utter disgust that a couple had an active sex life ...ON my nice top bed cover......too passionate to *think* about where they were  (in someone else's home) and what they were doing on my bedspread!   The thing looked like a bunch of "swingers" stayed. So, check those bedspreads and comforters inside and out, I learned.

Remember: The wash/cleaning instructions that come with comforters are meant for our personal use so perhaps once a month or twice a year washing, which I have read in care instructions, is enough.....but, we're letting multiple strangers sleep with it,  all the time. 

P.S.  I can't  help it...but as  I'm thinking about this and writing, I'm feeling "turned off" if they are not washed after every use when the duvet (cover) was used, too.  But, this could be very impractical for a lot of owners.  Again, mine are thinner "summer" comforters and they are easy to wash...and they dry quickly.  And, I live at my rental location and  I'm very "hands  on".

• New Member 7 posts since
    Feb 20, 2012
    Aug 21, 2012 11:39 AM (in response to nightskyveiw)

I use duvets with duvet covers, washing the covers in between every guests.  All blankets are washed, too.  Good point about washing the duvets (insides), too, periodically.  Eww. I just purchased some new lighter blankets since the duvets are a bit heavy for Arizona in the summer.  The tricky part is getting everything washed, dried, and put back in just 4 hours.   (I have 2 sets of everything, but it all still has to be done in 4 hours.)

• swlinphx Senior Contributor 2,191 posts since
    Aug 30, 2011
    Sep 4, 2012 11:25 AM (in response to nightskyveiw)

I'm in Phoenix too.  Keep in mind if you are washing the actual comforter (with filling/stuffing) that it becomes more and more clumpy and lumpy and also thins as time goes by the more you wash them, and you'll have to buy a new one sooner.  It depends how expensive the comforters are to be honest and how washable they are and if you have covers.  I think there is a reverse risk of going too far out of your way for people who may never know the difference, more so than any hotel would.  Creating unnecessary work or wear & tear for yourself is not smart either, especially if you are operating on low rates to begin with.  Efficiency is key.

• New Member 4 posts since
    Sep 4, 2012
    Sep 4, 2012 1:18 PM (in response to nightskyveiw)

Comforters are gross and always get dumped on the floor by the guests. We started three-sheeting all of our beds some time ago and can now wash everything every time. It's cleaner, easier and less expensive than comforters. It's also a lot easier to change the "look" of a room by simply changing the color of the top sheet.

Bert Simonis

www.DesertDreaming.com

Sep 4, 2012
    Sep 4, 2012 1:20 PM (in response to nightskyveiw)

VR we own is in a cold damp place. Comforters do not fit in washer & most quilts used on the premises take 3 hours to dry @ 40 cents per KWH (comforters $8 each to wash & dry @ the Laundromat that's an hour 1/2 round trip drive with gas @ $5 per gallon ). Have researched the life of microscopic mites that live on fabric (suggest doing this). They can also live on your couch, decorative pillows etc & fabric anywhere so how are you going to wash these items, short of steam cleaning everything everytime someone checks-out. Fortunately the mite will die in 48 hours of having no host & heat kills them. I use duvet covers over comforters & quilts or coverlets over them @ the VR. If not washed after thoroughly inspected & or spot cleaned do throw them in the dryer on high for 20 - 30 minutes. Worry more that I will get something dealing with guests linens so using gloves & long sleeves when dealing with all linens, hope adds a little protection for myself. Fortunately can't cope with back to backs so home most times is allowed 48 hours or a week or more (sometimes not booked) between guests. Sheets, pillow covers & towels are washed & dried & all other linens (including pillows sometimes) either washed & dried or put in the driyer for 30 minutes after each guest. Cleaned my.2 bedroom with 2 beds for 9 hours after last check-out & did 7 loads of wash & many more dryer loads. I make no money running this VR, beginning to think it's just a tax shelter. If a guest is worried about the linens they sleep on maybe they should consider bringing their own, am not being sarcastic either, knew 2 women one of which is a well known person who traveled with their own duvets & pillows.  

Sep 4, 2012
      Sep 4, 2012 1:25 PM (in response to bigigirl)

Try three-sheeting your beds and make sure that your pillows are encased in hypo-allergenic covers before putting them in pillow cases. Then you won't need to wash your pillows every time. If you can shorten your turn time, you can increase your income!

Bert

www.DesertDreaming.com

Aug 30, 2011
      Sep 4, 2012 1:28 PM (in response to bigigirl)

Wow, that sounds like overkill.  If you are out to rid yourself from invisible germs and any contaminants the only choice is not to use hotels or any public areas in general.  Life is not sanitary and we don't live in a bubble.  You need only guard against what is harmful, damaging or unsightly.  You will go crazy trying to sterilize everything in life.

Sep 4, 2012
        Sep 4, 2012 2:53 PM (in response to swlinphx)

It would be wonderful if your outlook on life was all true, I'd absolutely love it! However have you ever gotten scabies on your inner forearm changing linens two times? You'll change your attitude slightly & consider your guests & may attempt to keep linens a little more sanitary.

Aug 30, 2011
          Sep 4, 2012 3:08 PM (in response to bigigirl)

Last time I checked scabies wasn't a widespread or remotely common problem.  Also, whenever there is a few days between guests most parasites would die anyway. Hotels have a way bigger turnover of far many more people than vacation rentals yet they don't wash the bedspreads after every guest.  Most of society was fine before the "bed bug" scare.  They are not really harmful and if you see no sign of them there is no need to worry. You take general precaution and then make sure everything is acceptably clean and nothing is unsightly or harmful. People get a cleaner setting than most hotels with our rentals and pay far less.

I don't drive myself crazy trying to live a sterile life like Howard Hughes did.  Life is not sterile and if you're going to worry that much you will be afraid to live. People did fine for decades before some of the overstated scares we have today. Moderation and efficiency is key.

Sep 4, 2012
            Sep 4, 2012 3:23 PM (in response to swlinphx)

Do like your attitude. Am only sharing tips from my own experiences after having run a VR for nine years. Do highly suggest that housekeepers wear gloves when changing linens (know it can be a hassle), when I get lax it has eventually caught up with me. It pays to use simple precautions to protect ourselves & our guests.

• galvestonbeach Contributor 33 posts since
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sep 4, 2012 1:24 PM (in response to nightskyveiw)

We wash comforters only occasionally,  but spray them with Febreze (disinfectant)   between each use.

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,353 posts since
      May 25, 2011
      Sep 4, 2012 1:37 PM (in response to galvestonbeach)

Here's a tip I learned for washing comforters. When you place them in the dryer throw in a tennis ball or 2. It keeps them from bunching up. Kind of noisy, but it works!!

I use duvets, but I do have my housekeeper throw the actual comforter in the dryer on high heat with a fabric sofener sheet  every 3 weeks or so.Five beds means she does one bed each week ona rotating basis. I launder the comforters 4-5 times a yr. at a commercial laundry that has the big washers and dryers ( I take my tennis balls with me).

3 sheeting sounds like a good idea, though I'd still need to have back up blankets for each bed so I could launder them between guests, since I place a blanket at the foot of each bed.

Debj

Sep 4, 2012
      Sep 4, 2012 1:42 PM (in response to galvestonbeach)

..and what was the name of your hotel?

Sep 4, 2012
      Sep 4, 2012 3:11 PM (in response to galvestonbeach)

Does Fabreeze disinfectant kill scabies? If not washing & drying is recommended or at least put comforters on high in the drier for 20 - 30 minutes or have no guests in the VR for @ least 48 hours.

Sep 4, 2012
        Sep 4, 2012 3:38 PM (in response to bigigirl)

There's a big difference between smelling clean and being clean. Since we changed over to three sheeting our beds, we are able to wash and dry all the bed linens during even a quick change. (In our case that is 5 hours.) That's a Cal King and two Queen beds and a regular house sized washer and dryer.

Bert Simonis

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,353 posts since
          May 25, 2011
          Sep 4, 2012 3:49 PM (in response to bert.simonis)

To make sure I'm understanding the 3 sheeting thing: you make the bed as usual, and you use a decorative sheets as the 'topper", instead of a bedspread, etc. Is that right?.

Do you then make blankets  available for each bed?

BTW, Lysol spray does disinfect, and I use it on my furniture, matteresses, etc.  But, if you are worries abt. 'critters" of any kind, then you do have to launder in hot water and use a dryer hot setting. ( tis why my duvet covers are washed each time, etc.)

Thanks

Debj

Sep 4, 2012
          Sep 4, 2012 3:56 PM (in response to bert.simonis)

Your three sheeting idea is excellent, notice that hotels do this also. My suggestion for putting very heavy comforters, quilts & coverlets that's much needed here because the VR is in a cold environment (that may take up to 3 hours to dry if washed/& some do not fit in a regular house sized washer or dry properly in a regular house size dryer) in the dryer on high for 20 - 30 minutes is not to cover over smells it's for the heat to kill mites, scabies etc.

• galvestonbeach Contributor 33 posts since
        Jul 15, 2011
        Sep 4, 2012 3:48 PM (in response to bigigirl)

From Wikipedia :   " [scabies} is most often transmitted by direct skin-to-skin contact, with a higher risk with prolonged contact."

Sep 4, 2012
          Sep 4, 2012 4:01 PM (in response to galvestonbeach)

To my knowledge they can live on fabric for up to 48 hours after contact with a scabies infected person with no host, waiting for the next host. That's why when there's a scabies outbreak instructions are to wash & dry all linens, pillows, clothes etc. It's worth googling.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points