Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
1249 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2011 6:41 AM by jeff RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Mar 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 25, 2011 11:20 PM

Renters items stolen

Some guest were staying at my property and were away for the day when someone broke in and stole approximately $2500 worth of electronics that were there's. The security system was broken because there was a break-in about a month before and someone stole all of my flat screen TV's. The renters now want me to help pay the Deductible from the insurance to help cover the cost of there electronics.  Do I have a legal responsibility to cover there items?Thanks for your input.

• sophie Senior Contributor 969 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    Mar 25, 2011 11:45 PM (in response to danielcfd)
    Renters items stolen

Oh my gosh, that's terrible. Do you have a clause in your contract stating no responsibilty for theft to renter's items?  Did they know the system was broken and there was a burglary before?  If you had a burglary 1 month before and the security system was broken, I would not have rented it until the system was fixed. It seems your property or neighborhood is being targeted or that they know it's a short term rental.  If there isn't a clause, I would be inclined to help pay the deductible since it was something you knew that was possible from the previous break in.

• Contributor 14 posts since
    Jan 7, 2011
    Mar 26, 2011 6:41 AM (in response to danielcfd)
    Renters items stolen

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you and your guests. There was another discussion recently on a very similar topic. Some of the tips be might be helpful to you. Just in case you hadn't seen it, here's a link to the other discussion about theft when guests were in the rental.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points