Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
13134 Views 51 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2012 9:11 PM by marym RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Aug 11, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 13, 2012 3:41 PM

New possible scam

Aloha everyone, I have seen all kinds of scams in 12 years of advertising on VRBO etc. One piece of advice is to check the address or phone number they give you. If I'm suspicious, I check the address on Google maps. If it can't be found, then they made up the address. Same with area code - there are several area code look up sites out there.

Today I got a new one, which I am not going to reply to. First of all, it's just so wierd, and secondly none of the email addresses given match the name given. Nothing was specified in the top portion of the query where dates of travel would be etc. Under inquiry detail was this, reproduced here as received:

"Can you message us at vxxxxxxe@gmail.com. We are interested in your propertyon vrbo."

Name: Dayson Albert

Guests: 0 adults 0 children

Email: Axxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx0@securityprotectionvirus,org

• info@stayattremblant.com Active Contributor 540 posts since
    Aug 25, 2011
    Aug 11, 2012 2:42 PM (in response to jandives)
    Re: New possible scam

Without some proof or evidence that there is a scam at foot here, I would be tempted to treat it as a suspicious inquiry.  (We certainly don't want to spread fear into the community that there are more scams than there really are.)

However, it's clearly suspicious and an invalid request. 

As with any like that, simply delete and either ignore or advise VRBO &/or the community as you see fit.

P.

Note:  "securityprotectionvirus.org" is registered in California but I was unable to access that site, myself, to take a look.  Seems to have an invalid DNS entry.

• New Member 2 posts since
    Aug 11, 2012
    Aug 11, 2012 4:07 PM (in response to jandives)

Same just happened to me from address: AshleyRoot6339@vrboholidayvacation.com

The text was:

"Can you please email us on vrbojake@gmail.com, We're interested in your listing."

It is obviously scam. Don't bother to reply!

• New Member 1 posts since
    Aug 11, 2012
    Aug 11, 2012 4:04 PM (in response to jandives)

We got the same one so I'm ignoring it.

Aug 11, 2012
    Aug 11, 2012 11:35 PM (in response to jandives)

We have one too: I do not plan to respond.

Inquiry Received

Will you please email me on vrbojake@gmail.com, I am interested in your propertyon vrbo.

UnitVRBO 336103 Stay Dates –# in Party0 EmailNorberteErrick15352@vrboholidayvacation.com

Aug 11, 2012
    Aug 11, 2012 11:47 PM (in response to jandives)

Moderator: further to my earlier post this is what I find on Whois search for the sending email domain: it was only created yesterday afternoon - scammmmmmmmmm I believe

Registration Service Provided By: Namecheap.com

Visit: http://namecheap.com

Domain name: vrboholidayvacation.com

Registrant Contact:

WhoisGuard

WhoisGuard Protected ()

Fax: 

11400 W. Olympic Blvd. Suite 200

Los Angeles, CA 90064

US

Administrative Contact:

WhoisGuard

WhoisGuard Protected ()

+1.6613102107

Fax: +1.6613102107

Los Angeles, CA 90064

US

Technical Contact:

WhoisGuard

WhoisGuard Protected ()

+1.6613102107

Fax: +1.6613102107

Los Angeles, CA 90064

US

Name Servers:

dns1.registrar-servers.com

dns2.registrar-servers.com

dns3.registrar-servers.com

dns4.registrar-servers.com

dns5.registrar-servers.com

Creation date: 11 Aug 2012 17:42:00

Expiration date: 11 Aug 2013 09:42:00

Aug 12, 2012
    Aug 13, 2012 3:54 PM (in response to jandives)

I too have received a variation of this apparent scam as shown below:

Inquiry Detail

Can you message me at vrbojake@gmail.com, We're interested in your property.

NameDabbah Haineau
    Guests0 adults, 0 children
    EmailExxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx9@vrboholidayvacation.com

What a waste of time!

I also have not replied as it was an obvious scam.   

Passing information to each other and to HomeAway like this helps us all tremendously.

Chris

Aug 12, 2012
    Aug 12, 2012 11:01 AM (in response to jandives)

Same deal, and ran the same whois check as Gracemir, same results; a blocked domain using a filtering guard. Its really toobad I have to leave this one in my inquiries box. Can VRBO remove these?

• jan.stevens Community All-Star 251 posts since
      Aug 30, 2011
      Aug 12, 2012 5:57 PM (in response to habano)

I received the same email and unfortunately I did reply. I have been kicking myself for a day as I suspected that it was not a legit inquiry. Now I know for sure.

What would this person do with my information? How would the scam work?

Aug 25, 2011
        Aug 12, 2012 6:57 PM (in response to jan.stevens)

jan.stevens wrote:

...  How would the scam work?

All: I want to quickly re-iterate a point I tried to make, above.  There is no evidence of a scam at play here.  There's also no evidence that it isn't a scam either.  My point is that this the facts only show it is a bogus inquiry and nothing more at this time.  (*) It could be someone testing the security systems of HA, for example, or doing a social experiment targeting vacation rental owners, or a phisher or a scammer doing reconnaissance work.  We simply don't know.

I know this may seem like nit-picking but it's actually a very important point.  Right now some of our guests and some owners perceive that the vacation rental market is under attack by Scammers and Phishers and all manner of criminal.  There is widespread fear in the community that, IMO anyway, is disproportionate to the actual threat.

HomeAway is reacting (<--click) and it seems we will shortly see a major change to the way we interact with guests and HA/VRBO will become unwelcome overseers of all of our transactions.  They justify these changes based on the fear in the marketplace and the adverse effects it has on their bottom line.

Please don't perpetuate this fear.  If there isn't a confirmed scam, let's be responsible and report what we have observed but not draw conclusions that contribute to the fear in our marketplace that is adversely effecting our businesses.

Note: this posting is not specifically directed at jan.stevens posting above -- it's just a general comment that I hope everyone will take to heart.

Thanks, Peter.

Aug 13, 2012

Thanks, Peter, for this thoughtful response.

There is nothing to fear about suspicious inquiries. Even if you click reply, your action will not put you in harm's way. Nuicance, sure, but not harm. 

What would be harmful is letting VRBO and HomeAway take over our payment and communications autonomy (a la AirBnB) and thus truly damaging our free enterprise. Don't sweat the b.s. Every shopkeeper has to deal with it, and this is ours.

• mike-dfv Community All-Star 815 posts since
          Mar 5, 2011

I get what you're saying, Peter. It *may* not be a scam, but it is, at least, very odd. The same email address, vrbojake..., is being used to make multiple inquiries in multiple locations. All we've seen is what's posted in this thread. How many others, who don't particpate in these forums, have also received one? It is very unlikely to be a legitimate inquiry. If it's not a scam, what is it? If it is a scam, how does it work?

Mike

Aug 30, 2011
            Aug 13, 2012 1:36 PM (in response to mike-dfv)

Out of concern I went ahead and googled my property web address to see if anyone had stolen the web site and applied incorrect numbers. Twelve pages later there was nada.  Except I did find my Pintrest account with my possible password showing.........., geeez.

Aug 13, 2012
    Aug 13, 2012 3:43 PM (in response to jandives)

I must disagree that this is not a scam.  It is absolutely an attempt at something malicious.  I just received a request from Skye Bergstrom sxxe.bxxxxxxxm@rentalsclub.org requesting my home from a Tuesday to Saturday.

His one question is "Is there a security system on your home?"

There is nothing legit about it and this is not the work of someone trying to gather information.  Checked the registry of the domain and you guessed it, private.

Call it what you want...in my book it s an attempt at something criminal (scam, robbery, etc.)

Aug 25, 2011
      Aug 13, 2012 2:46 PM (in response to paulram)

paulram wrote:

I must disagree that this is not a scam.

No one (at least not me) said it wasn't a scam.  My point anyway was that the word "scam" spreads fear into the guest community (our bread and butter) and the owner community (evidenced by the [over]-reaction in this very thread).

We conclude that this is a scam at our own peril (since, if we spread enough fear, our businesses will suffer).  Personally, I prefer to make a more fact-based conclusion once the facts are known.

To protect yourself from 99.9% of even taking the 1st step in falling victim to a  scams arising from such bogus e-mails you must simply employ a small dose of common-sense.  Look at the inquiry critically -- if something doesn't smell right, flag it.

Can HA/VRBO help here?  Certainly!  It would be web-developers child's play to flag a user as suspicious who has made a large number of inquiries to properties in different geographies.   Since they're not doing this, it means that they have chosen not to.  Shame on them.

P.

• fostermom95 New Member 8 posts since
    Aug 3, 2011
    Aug 13, 2012 2:00 PM (in response to jandives)

I am getting ALOT of suspicious inquiries!! Is this something we need to be concerned about?  How do we weed through them?

Aug 13, 2012
      Aug 13, 2012 3:53 PM (in response to fostermom95)

Hi, all--This is my first posting, although this website has been very helpful to me as I set up our vacation rental advertising 16 months ago.  I have also received suspicious inquiries--two in the past few days.  The first was the same 'vrbojake' that several of you have mentioned.  Poorly done, so obviously fake.  The second, which I received earlier today, is more sophisticated and it follows:

Howdy, Is this available for November 2013 at all? Even if the property if not available at these times, can you give me the available dates.

NameGXXXe BXXXXr
      EmailGXXXXXXXXXr@fancyinbox.com

If you go to 'www.fancyinbox.com,' you see the same reference to 'namecheap.com' as the earlier one.  Odd to ask about Nov. 2013 in mid-Aug. 2012, odd that no people are identified as guests, nor is a phone number.  Almost certainly spam.  It is a concern to me, especially if the perpetrators begin to be more persuasive in their inquiries.  Can we do anything more than be diligent in our screening? 

• Active Contributor 295 posts since
        Jun 9, 2011
        Aug 13, 2012 3:52 PM (in response to cagal)

Yap, got the same one. Definitely up to no good. Here is what I got. VRBO/HomeAway should be blocking this inquiry.

Inquiry Detail

Hey, Is this available for November 2013 at all? Even if the property if not available at these times, can you let me know the available dates.

Name

EXXXa HXXXh

Guests

0 adults, 0 children

Email

EXXXXXXXXh@fancyinbox.com

Aug 30, 2011
    Aug 13, 2012 3:52 PM (in response to jandives)

I just received another very odd inquiry from AXXXXXXXXr@FancyInBox.com. He wanted to know what dates were available in September. My calendar is clearly up to date.  And no information regarding how many guests.  Odd I think. And I am feeling a bit paranoid since the other odd inquiry too.

Aug 11, 2012
    Aug 13, 2012 3:52 PM (in response to jandives)

Inquiry Detail

Hey, Is this available for staying in October 2013 at all? Even if the property if not empty at these periods, will you give me the available dates.

NameMXXXu CXXXy
    EmailMXXXXXXXXy@fancyinbox.com

This is what I just received. It is indeed a more sohisticated version of the previous one. The domain fancyinbox.com was registered today (August 13th) with namecheap.com same provider of the previous scam. This is more than a coincidence, I think this is a proper attack to HA/VRBO users.

Jun 9, 2011
      Aug 13, 2012 2:39 PM (in response to jaume)

I would have hoped that VRBO should have blocked this inquirer by now, specially after many owners have reported here getting bogus inquiries from the same source.

Aug 30, 2011
    Aug 13, 2012 2:36 PM (in response to jandives)

I just checked the domain registration for FancyInBox.com and it was just recently registered with NameCheap.com like the previous domain name.  I tried to check the WhoIs registry but came up with nothing.

Aug 3, 2011
    Aug 13, 2012 2:49 PM (in response to jandives)

Definetly VRBO CYBER ATTACK. I sure hope there is something webmasters can do! I've had requests come within seconds ofceachbother for same date-I responded-not one word back; now I'm getting the June 2013 request from fancyinbox....this is going to make responses difficult!  Wondering if our accounts are bring hacked into and if they can affect what is legit ??? I was a bit concerned before but now I'm worried!

Aug 3, 2011
    Aug 13, 2012 2:59 PM (in response to jandives)

One more question..does anyone know what happens if we answer these inquiries??

Aug 25, 2011
      Aug 13, 2012 3:06 PM (in response to fostermom95)

It's not a "Cyber Attack".  It's some bogus inquiries that are obviosly fake.  As owners and business-people, let's please use perspective and common-sense here.

Nothing will happen if you reply unless you disclose some financial information or take a booking that is obviously not legitimate -- but I recommend that you do not any of those.  Simply delete it and move on and there is nothing to worry about at all.  Really -- it is that simple.

P.

• sage Community All-Star 965 posts since
        Jul 4, 2012

stayattremblant's advice is good.  Take a deep breath and relax.

For these types of suspect queries I use a disposable email address for all communications until I am satisfied they are legitimate.  If it turns out to be a scam or someone looking to harvest email addresses for sale to spammers, I can abandon that email address and create a new one.

• anja Senior Contributor 1,555 posts since
          Aug 9, 2011
          Aug 13, 2012 9:06 PM (in response to sage)

And, I do exactly as "sage" does ....e.g. I too use a "disposable email address", if I'm not at ease with the message, because it is known that scammers send  out inquiries to "harvest email addresses", at least that is one probable reason, because  "validated email addresses are sold"...on the scam market. 

And...I agree with P./stayattremblent, also.  Stay calm. When you get this kind of "dodgy" inquiry, simply delete these messages...and just move on.  Don't worry over these.  

We all get these types of inquiries.  Just do not respond to them if you feel insecure,  or respond with a disposable email, to be "more secure"....then, they'd only harvest your "disposable" email address. And, if you don't answer at all, no loss. If you do choose to respond, do so with caution and use common sense with the specifics.

The type of mails that are given in example here I would delete right away. And, now that a few of you have reported getting them, HA should tag that email address as "suspicious".

Sometimes, legit inquirers focus on things that could seem "suspicious".

I have gotten plenty inquiries over the course of my experience about my  "house security system"..."how much distance is there between my place and the next house"... "is the property dark - are there sensor lights".... "is the garden and/or the deck in view by others", .... "how low are the windows",... "are there any on-looking windows with any other house", ..."is the house set back"...."is there heavy landscaping"...:is there a dog that would bark, nearby".  I've been asked those and more such questions --- and they were in the *very first inquiry* usually --- which I always thought was odd....before they even asked about my AVAILABILITY, or location or distance to the beaches, or any other features. I always think it a bit odd that people would ask those types of questions, first. 

Now, if I wanted to worry myself, I could have imagined that a burglar would want to know those details.  But, I answered every single one of those inquiries and they were not suspicious in the end. Some of them became my guests...others were just fussy and had their pet peeves about rental properties.

But, honestly, I probably would not answer any of those inquiries from the @FancyInBox.  An inquiry that is so negligent of information from the sender goes straight to *trash*...if it fits the category that owners are showing us here.  I would never give anyone all my available dates if someone tells me that they are that "flexible" in their planning and just want to know if the house is occupied or not.  I've had that type of inquiry, too. 

But, we can't kid ourselves or be too trusting....some of the worse crimes were carried out by scammers who were quite literate and able to carry on good conversation and correspondence.  We are responsible for our actions...we have to be aware of all types of threats...we have to stay informed, communicate these problems (it's good that we have this Forum).

Jun 9, 2011
      Aug 13, 2012 3:20 PM (in response to fostermom95)

==> One more question..does anyone know what happens if we answer these inquiries?? <==

Nothing. The fake inquirer is probing for weaknesses and may follow it up with an email designed for phishing or attach a malware executable file, then that's when you have to be on guard.

What is phishing? An example of phishing is when you get an email with a link, and you click on that link, and it takes you to what looks like a login page (to your email or property website or  bank account, etc). If you enter your credentials (username & password), guess what? Your credentials will be captured by them. Never supply your credentials from clicking on a link; instead login to the website your normal way or from your bookmark so you can be sure it is your website you are logging in to and not a look alike website.

What is an attaching malware executable file? It is a program file attached to an email and when you click on the file it will plant the virus in your computer. This is how a lot of computers are infected. Never click on an attaching file specially from someone you don't know or if you are not expecting it or you are not absolutely sure it is not harmfull.

• lrbaldwin Active Contributor 755 posts since
    Feb 16, 2011
    Aug 13, 2012 3:50 PM (in response to jandives)

I just got one too.  What a waste of time.  What I'd really like to know is what they could do even if I did email them?  Are they going to rob me if they think nobody's going to be there?  Also, notice they're asking aboutg December, 2013!  I'm dying to know what this scam is.

Inquiry Detail

Is this listing is empty in Decemeber 2013, I know this is pretty late notice for some listings. If it isn't available then can you tell me anyway, and I'll consider some other future dates.

Name

UXXa BXXXn

Guests

0 adults, 0 children

Email

UXXXXXXXn@fancyinbox.com

Jun 9, 2011
      Aug 13, 2012 3:38 PM (in response to lrbaldwin)

Paging VRBO! How long does it take you to block an obvious non-legit inquirer that has been bombarding several owners already with junk inquires that make no sense and been reported here???? Please block this inquirer.

• meredith HomeAway Employee 384 posts since
        Nov 18, 2010
        Aug 13, 2012 3:49 PM (in response to tfv)

Hi everyone,

I have taken note of the spammers that you have listed in this thread, but in order for HomeAway/VRBO to block scam inquries you should report them to us using the support form

HomeAway

VRBO

This will allow our Trust and Security team to keep track of your reported suspicious email addresses and block them. Also, we do not allow specific names and email addresses on the forum, which is why you will see some of your posts edited.

Thanks,

Meredith

Jun 9, 2011
          Aug 13, 2012 3:55 PM (in response to meredith)

==> but in order for HomeAway/VRBO to block scam inquries you should report them to us using the support form <==

I already reported this two days ago, but your Trust & Security Team is too slow to react and the spammers are having a field day knowing that, and continues to spam like crazy!

Aug 25, 2011
            Aug 13, 2012 3:58 PM (in response to tfv)

tfv wrote:

I already reported this two days ago, but your Trust & Security Team is too slow to react and the spammers are having a field day knowing that, and continues to spam like crazy!

Sigh.  I wish I was surprised at this.  I really do.

P.

• lrbaldwin Active Contributor 755 posts since
              Feb 16, 2011

I'm afraid I've had the same experience after reporting to VRBO support.....in most cases, nothing.

Jun 9, 2011

All quiet on the western front? It seems the spamming exploit of our unwanted spammer has ceased (for now)??? No more reports of spamming activity by the unwanted inquirer. I would like to believe that my reporting this incident two days ago finally caught up with VRBO’s Trust & Security Team, but I know different, and so do other long time participants here. Sometimes, we just have to use this forum in nudging action. 

However, it is easy for the spammer to register another domain and create a different email address. So fellow owners, be on the lookout.  Our unwanted spammer may just resurface with a different email address and domain.

I think our spammer was probing VRBO’s vulnerability, and he may have found it by registering a domain instead of the usual free web base email address; that is why he got through momentarily and had his field day or two. However, this is a cat and mouse game they play. Spammers/Scammers always probing for holes in security, and legitimate businesses catching up and plugging holes in their security. Welcome to the digital world of cyberspace.

Aug 30, 2011
      Aug 13, 2012 3:40 PM (in response to lrbaldwin)

I wonder the exact same thing........to what end are they wasting yours, mine and their time? For what purpose?

Aug 3, 2011
    Aug 13, 2012 6:55 PM (in response to jandives)

I've had two requests for sat -sat in December..right through Christmas and there was nothing phishy about them. However, later inquiries reveal a unknown domain with a message that there was an error in e-mail address. This spam is screwy. I think VRBO could be in for a major virus. I hope not but the frequency of attempts and the variety is hitting so many of us that it could mean serious trouble. I think VRBO should send out a mass warning to subscribers. Until I logged in today, I thought I was alone in this hacking attempt. I do plan on ignoring future suspicious requests, but it may be pervasive and THAT could affect all of our sales.

Aug 25, 2011
      Aug 13, 2012 7:06 PM (in response to fostermom95)

Whoa, fostermom95!

"Phishy", "SPAM", "screwy", "major virus", "hitting so many of us",  "serious trouble",  "mass warning",  "hacking attempt", "suspicious requests". 

So many trigger words in such a small posting.  If we owners don't get our reactions under control, it will feed on itself and really hurt our industry. 

Ultimately, such fear amongst owners and guests is a much larger problem than the actual scam/phish/spam. 

Please; let's all work together to be ambassadors of a balanced and measured response to these minor annoyances.

P.

Jun 9, 2011
      Aug 13, 2012 7:11 PM (in response to fostermom95)

==> ..However, later inquiries reveal a unknown domain with a message that there was an error in e-mail address...<==

Can you be more specific?

• margie.nilson New Member 3 posts since
    Aug 13, 2012
    Aug 13, 2012 7:29 PM (in response to jandives)

Hi Folks,

In case anyone at HA / VRBO is keeping track: I received the "Can you please email us on vrbojake@gmail.com, I am very interested in your property

• marym Active Contributor 463 posts since
    Feb 10, 2011
    Aug 13, 2012 7:46 PM (in response to jandives)

I have just had the strangest experiences on VRBO over the last few days.  First some really strange inquiries, where the potential guests were nearly pleading with me to respond.  The crazy thing is that it wasn't the usual vrbo inquiry e-mail address.  It was vrboholidayvacation. com  sending the inquiry to me -  Has anyone ever heard of this?  Has it something to do with the new arrangement with VRBO/HA?  To make things more interesting, the last two times I've been on the page for rentals in my own area and when I was looking at another country for a rental, my AVG virus security went off, shut down the page and told me to move on to a different page - what's up with that?   Be careful out there folks!

Aug 13, 2012
    Aug 13, 2012 9:06 PM (in response to jandives)

I received the bogus inquiry Sunday afternoon (for the vrbojake@gmail) and promptly forwarded to Homeway customer service.  Within 24 hours I received an email that the email address and person were blocked. 

Today I also received the fancyinbox.com inquiry also.

IMO, the best thing is to forward, let Homeway take care of it as soon as possible.   This could be something as simple as harvesting email addresses, but there's no sense in taking any chances that they might follow up with a phishing email. 

Be careful out there. 

• marym Active Contributor 463 posts since
      Feb 10, 2011
      Aug 13, 2012 9:11 PM (in response to mike.legay)

I too received the fancyinbox.com inquiry.  Asked me really stupid, vague questions about a rental 8 months in advance.  Seemed more interested in having me RESPOND as opposed to getting any real information from me about the house, etc.  As oposed to ignoring them, I should send them to customer service.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)