Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
4025 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2013 5:53 AM by alliee RSS
New Member 2 posts since
Jul 16, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 16, 2012 12:43 PM

How to find rental insurance for primary residence?

We would like to rent our home for several days or up to a week occasionally during the year, and have found it impossible to find insurance for during the time it is rented.  Our homeowner's insurance will not add a rider, and we would not be covered for any claims during a rental period.  We cannot be the only ones doing this...help!

• New Member 1 posts since
    Jul 17, 2012
    Jul 17, 2012 7:01 AM (in response to spirkle4)
    Re: How to find rental insurance for primary residence?

hi spirkle4 - what country are you in

i have the same question  - I am in the UK and need an answer to this question

• New Member 2 posts since
    Aug 3, 2012
    Aug 3, 2012 11:04 PM (in response to spirkle4)

CBIZ insurance services can do this, their number is 888-883-5686

• New Member 9 posts since
    Aug 10, 2012
    Aug 10, 2012 2:36 PM (in response to spirkle4)

Best in the industry, ask about revenue sharing.

Underwritten by Lloyds of London.

Harold Lear Agent

D .888.885.5550 ext. 1110 | P. 888.885.5550 | F.888.885.4440
    hlear@rentalguardian.com | www.rentalguardian.com
    Rental Guardian, LLC | 6789 Quail Hill Pkwy., Suite 404, Irvine, CA  92603

• umy888 New Member 4 posts since
    Apr 4, 2012
    Aug 29, 2012 12:32 PM (in response to spirkle4)

EVERYONE IS MISSING THE POINT ON THIS!!!  Once you get the commercial policy, then what do you do about insuring your boat, car, motorcycle, and most important another house or Umbrella policy???  You other insurance policies will increase due to the fact that you don't have all of your other property with just one agent for a discount.  Then, how do you lump all your property together with an umbrella policy?  You need to look at how taking away your primary residence affects everything else you insure.

• New Member 9 posts since
      Aug 10, 2012
      Sep 4, 2012 1:19 PM (in response to umy888)

I work with an insurance company that only sales Travel, Accidental Damage

and Rental Liability Insurance. Rather than trying to add your home that

you rent out a few times a year onto your home owners policy. Use an

insurance like ours for a one time policy when ever needed. You can add the

policy fee to the cost of the rent. There is no need for a deposit or

deductible to the renter. Its cost affective and it doesn't effect your

current homeowners policy.

• New Member 2 posts since
        Oct 25, 2012
        Oct 25, 2012 10:56 PM (in response to hlear)

I am a property owner in  California who rents out the lower level of his home (inlaw/garden apt) to tourists. I live upstairs and manage it.  I rent to short term tourists  3, 5, 7 days at a time.  Not monthly.  I  contacted my insurance company recently to discuss my business downstairs. I was told that they dont cover short-term guests, but would cover a long-term tenant. Fine. Now, I go out searching for alternatives.  I can tell everybody here that I worked with two insurance brokers, and researched the net and made calls. There are a handful (1/2 hand) that write insurance to people who own there own home, live it and rent a portion out to tourists, or temp borders. I finally obtained a quote from CBIZ  which writes this type of policy. I contacted them and explained as noted above and got confirmation including email that they cover this type of risk.  I obtained a quote from them at approximately 1800 which is about 800 more than my homeowners policy. I will replace my homeowners with a commercial policy. I was  provided a quote that not only covered the replacement value of my home, but provided me $1,000,000 in liabilty insurance per occurence up to 2 million in one year. It covers my entire house, contents (including downstairs unit). Policy itself was better than my homeowners policy which I paid extra for an umbrella policy up  to that amount.  You pay a little bit more, but you are covered in the event somebody slips/falls on your property, inlaw/garden apt etc.  Yes, I will lose my multi-car discount, but thats a whole 15% or approximatley $250.00.  I would rather have piece of mind and pay extra for car insurance than get sued for everything I  own and have worked years to achieve. If you are like me in a similar situation  give them a telephone call and see for yourself 406- 922 5055.  Homeaway also discusses CBIZ on there website.  

• alliee Contributor 45 posts since
    Jul 11, 2012
    Mar 15, 2013 5:53 AM (in response to spirkle4)

Hi,

I think you must get in touch with an insurance company and get some idea about regarding rental insurance.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)