Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
9788 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2012 6:15 AM by anja RSS
New Member 4 posts since
Mar 5, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 5, 2011 6:38 PM

Recommendations on buying linens for a VRBO property

Please tell me the best kind and best way to purchase linens for my vacation rental.  Does anyone have a good on-line source?  Thanks.

• spoonbill Contributor 105 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    Mar 6, 2011 10:24 PM (in response to wildcatkath)

I use CostCo.  Their products are high quality adn their prices are unbeatable.  Sheet sets are great, get Egyptian Cotton or Supema and their towels are also very good.

• New Member 14 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    Mar 7, 2011 10:46 AM (in response to wildcatkath)

I can’t say which kind to buy as everyone has a different type of guest they are trying to market to. Also your area and type of lodging makes a difference. I often see beautiful bedroom ensembles in ads for VR and hotels which I dearly love. I couldn’t imagine using them in one of my condos as I want everything very washable and would never consider having dry clean only articles. I know VR owners, managers, resorts, and hotels use them. I can't help but assume some dry clean them rarely since it is expensive. “Yuck.”   Color choices make a big difference too. I’m a “everything white” except for the wash clothes I have labeled as “use for items that stain”. They are light colors, have bleached spots, faded spots, pink spots, and orange spots but they are clean and designated for stains, mud, etc. The white ones are “white” and don’t get stained as much. My linens are good quality except the washclothes are inexpensive because I replace them often, even the white ones. They still get stained, just not as bad as the colored ones. The white washcloth stains are actually muddy stains normally; not the medicine and make up stains we have on the colored ones. So guests can still tell they are clean.  Often bleach can fix the muddy stains too. Also having different washclothes for stains helps to draw attention for guests to treat your towels like they do at home and not stain them up as much. 

I purchase most of my linens at Bed Bath & Beyond, Kohl’s, and JC Penney’s. I try to watch for sales and use both in store and online purchases. Watch for specials for free shipping if you order on line. Linens are heavy and the shipping costs and kill you. If you buy from Kohl’s, get their store credit card. Credit card holders get additional % off sales every month.

Sandy K

www.meadowbrook-resort.com

www.vacationingbranson.com

• Active Contributor 343 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010
    Mar 14, 2011 2:56 PM (in response to wildcatkath)

There are a couple of other good related discussions in our "Amenities" forum that might be of interest. There is one thread devoted to linens, and one dedicated entirely to white or dark towels.

I hope this helps!

Laura

• New Member 7 posts since
    Mar 7, 2011
    Mar 16, 2011 6:23 PM (in response to wildcatkath)

This might work to keep from removing make-up with my white wash cloths. I picked up a package of make-up remover tissues that come 40/pkg. re-sealable  package, $1.00 at the local dollar store...I placed the pkg. on the vanity.   Only need to remove make-up at night, this pkg. should last at least a month if not more.  I'll let you know how it works out..

• New Member 17 posts since
    Jun 13, 2011

I am changing to using a linen service which will make my life much easier.  You  might check in your area what they costs are, them seem reasonable to me and I no longer have to deal with ensuring the laundry is done properly and dealing with damaged linens. 

• lhenne New Member 8 posts since
    Jun 15, 2012

Home Goods often has sets of nice quality towels for a very reasonable price.  Set's generally include:  2 bath towels, 2 hand towels and 2 washcloths. 

As for darker towels for make-up removal, I stayed at a hotel in Portland, OR which had black washcloths embroidered with the word "makeup".  Very clever, but they are pricey - $49 for 6.  Here's the link: http://turkishtowelcompany.com/black-makeup-washcloths  So far, I've just gone with buying less expensive washcloths and throwing them away as they become soiled. 

• iopbeachhouse Community All-Star 455 posts since
    Aug 10, 2011

We have done very well using sheets and towels from Sam's Club. The sheets are very soft and we use a different color for each size bed to make it easy for our housekeeper. We also have tan washcloths for removing makeup with all other bath towels being white. We roll the tan washcloths and stack them on the counter with a small framed sign asking that they be used for make up removal.

• holly.hunter New Member 16 posts since
    Jun 14, 2011

BJ's for towels, white, cotton $5 each.  Just bought king sheets, white from TJ Maxx for $32.  I buy when the price is right and then put them into use when needed.  The makeup is an issue, I may try the makeup remover sheets or tan towels. 

Thanks for the tips.

• New Member 1 posts since
    Jun 25, 2012

I like to keep as many things upscale feeling in my cabin so I have bought everything linen from Ross which is very much the same as Marshall's. I can get upscale linens for the same price as Wal-Mart.

• amyg Active Contributor 323 posts since
      Dec 10, 2010

I used to go with the Big One from Kohls for years and bought them at the Black Friday sale for less than $3.00 a piece.  Last year I had a rude awakening when I got the same towels at the BF sale but when they were delivered, Kohls had made a serious change in the quality of those towels.  Every one of them went back to Kohls.

Now I am a Costco towel convert.  $24.99 for 6 white Martex towels.  They are moderately thick, good sized and launder nicely with no pulls (like some of the Mainstays Walmart towels).  Hand towels are a bargain at $14.99 for a dozen.  And washcloths are a 24 pack but I can't remember the price but I think it was $12 ish. 

• anja Senior Contributor 1,560 posts since
        Aug 9, 2011
        Jun 26, 2012 6:15 AM (in response to amyg)
        Re: Recommendations on buying linens for a VRBO property

I have a similar experience with Kohls, over time. Not always pleased.  But, I've been buying as good offers present themselves... so I have "stock".   I have a few different brands.  A couple of the sets are from Macy's {Charter Club brand}...I like those.   I was let down by Kohls, though. I purchased a very pretty set  of towels last year at Kohls...white...embossed....great looking set.  They were  on sale but still more than I wanted to pay for the rental units...but I went ahead. The customer reviews were good.  I washed them before  putting them out for guests because they seemed to be "treated" with something...I could feel it.  They were so nice after washing...and looked good in the bathrooms.  I expected a compliment.  I put them in one unit for returning guests who come every January.  Both she and her husband  "complained" that the towels were not "absorbent enough".   And, she was right...after I tried one.  That's the last time I shopped for towels at Kohls.

I do really like Macy's Charter Club --- I've had them for quite some time...hold up wonderfully.  {Macy's online sales are good.}

But, this year I, too, became a Costco towel convert {the Charisma brand}...and I've been very happy with them...the guests too.  As long as Costco continues to sell those, that's my brand, now.   Their towels are a nice bath size, they wash well, keep their shape, no pulls, stay soft, don't fade and are absorbent....great price!  They look great and feel great.   I buy a lot of those white washcloth packs, too.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points