Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
127629 Views 275 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2012 7:51 AM by j4922 RSS Branched to a new discussion. Go to original post 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 Previous Next
  • New Member 14 posts since
    Feb 11, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    255. May 10, 2012 2:34 PM (in response to unclebob)
    Re: VRBO not what it used to be...too bad!!

Overall, I'm happy with VRBO as my primary means of advertising my vacation home, but I don't like the fact that they're now spamming folks who've inquired about my property - trying to get them to use Reservation Manager for payment, etc.  One renter just forwarded me two email he's received from VRBO in the past few days.  Apparently he's getting about one a day!  I'm using the PayPros c. card account system and don't need Reservation Manager's assistance.  BTW, PayPros has been excellent to work with - fast and accurate - and it was recommended initially by HomeAway, so I don't see the need for any other system.    If anyone at HomeAway / VRBO is monitoring these discussions, I would appreciate your passing along my objection to your followup emails to prospective renters!  Thanks!

• New Member 14 posts since
    Mar 9, 2012
    256. May 10, 2012 5:26 PM (in response to patrick.greany)

I agree also. I've been with VRBO for 9 years and have been fairly happy with the result. But, just to see how it would go, I also signed up with HomeAway this year. I have two rentals from HomeAway, but the balance of my rentals are with VRBO. VRBO is more consitent, but I do not like all the follow-up information and the fact that they offer 10 other properties when someone inquires about mine. I also do not like the offer of Reservation Manager. I handle all my reservations and my rentals pay by personal check. Both VRBO and HomeAway are suggesting that the consumer should not trust a homeowner and use a credit card, so they can do a charge back, if there are problems. This open the door to crooks and cons. Forget it! I open my home to strangers and I want to know they are on the up and up.

• New Member 10 posts since
    Jul 20, 2012
    257. Jul 20, 2012 11:59 PM (in response to frustrated)

I have had no response from vrbo since tuesday and I have emailed them multiple times! The issues that I was having started a few weeks ago and were not even acknowledged! Instead I was told that it was my computer and that I needed to erase my history and my cookies and upgrade my browser, NONE of which helped. I added a "P.S." informing them that this also happened on my phone and they said: "The site isn't meant to be used from a smart phone." Seriously?! But that's not all.....I am adding a property for my aunt and we went through all of the prompts but once the payment was confirmed I was unable to upload any information or photos. So I emailed them AGAIN and have had no response! What has happened to this company??? I have advised my aunt to file a complaint and have her $700 returned as she is not benefitting from this at all. This is the image that I get over and over when I log on:Screen Shot 2012-07-19 at 10.50.51 AM.png

• Active Contributor 295 posts since
    Jun 9, 2011
    258. Jul 21, 2012 12:38 AM (in response to medinahair)

To satisfy yourself where the issue might originate, may I suggest a different approach? Use another computer, even if you have to go to another place, perhaps someone you know like a family, and use their computer to see if it allows you to go further where you are curretnly stuck when using your own computer. If it allows  you to go further, then VRBO's Customer Support may have a point, otherwise you may have been right all along.

Jul 20, 2012
    259. Jul 21, 2012 1:24 AM (in response to tfv)

Yes I tried it on my office desktop computer as well. Same screen shot. It

is bizarre. I have been looking through dozens and dozens of posting of

unhappy vrbo users and it seems to have started in October of 2011. My 2

properties have been rented long term and only recently did my calendar open

up. So I have had inquiries but could not update my calendar. After 3 email

exchanges and me all but reinitializing my computers did the ³switch

property² tab finally show my other property so I was able to update that

calendar.

But then when I tried to list my aunts property the same thing occurred!!

And now no one has responded to my emails!

I own and run 2 businesses BY MYSLEF without support staff and do ALL of my

own bookkeeping and quarterly tax returns so it is a mystery to me how my

emails can go unanswered for so many days! I would be OUT OF BUSINESS if I

gave my clients the same service(:O

I will not renew, that¹s for sure and I believe I am not alone!

• Active Contributor 295 posts since
    Jun 9, 2011
    260. Jul 21, 2012 6:39 PM (in response to medinahair)

How about suggesting to Customer Support to give you a call and allow Support to login to your website by providing your credentials (you can change it after the call) and have them perform the things you were doing to see if the result is the same? If Support experiences the same thing using his/her own computer, then you would have prove to them the issue lies at VRBO.

Jul 20, 2012
    261. Jul 21, 2012 6:23 PM (in response to tfv)

How about I just stop wasting my time and use my other sites which are either free or a fraction if the price of VRBO and give me the same or better results and when enough of us do that VRBO will be the one seeking our return to their site. I have a feeling you are part of their organization. I have done extensive research on the acquisition of VRBO by HomeAway and it has been very enlightening. The CEO used to work at Bain. How timely(

Angela Medina

1968 Harvard Ave. E.

Seattle, Wa 98102

• info@waipoulicondo.com New Member 20 posts since
    Feb 21, 2012
    262. Jul 27, 2012 3:39 PM (in response to luxuryrentals)

Hey @LuxuryRentals! Check out rentini.com . Their reviews go both ways and you can blacklist "bad" clients. Next time these smoking pals try to book again your fellow homeowners will see how much they smoked in your property! It gives them an option to refuse booking or charge a premium. Having your own website helps to eliminate unnecessary ads from competition, all for free at rentini. Def check it out!

• New Member 8 posts since
    Sep 27, 2012
    263. Sep 27, 2012 6:41 PM (in response to frustrated)

I am with you -- they just stink!

• bobbie32 Senior Contributor 1,084 posts since
    May 21, 2011
    264. Oct 8, 2012 9:41 AM (in response to tsarina)

Read how HA/VRBO is profiting from the homeowners that list on the various sites.

http://investors.homeaway.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=695374

• terirusso Contributor 101 posts since
    Mar 30, 2011
    265. Oct 9, 2012 3:42 PM (in response to frustrated)

This year I have decided to let both my VRBO and HomeAway listings expire. I am on FlipKey on a month to month. We are doing extensive renovations on our home this winter. When we are done, I am going to test VRBO/HomeAway by changing all of my information to see if that puts me higher on the list at a lower rate. I can put my husbands name and set up a new email address just for my listings. I have 2 friends in my area that recently started renting out their homes, paid less for their listings and were higher up on the list. When I questioned VRBO/HomeAway about the rates, they gave me the usual run around. When I let the listings expire, they called me 3 or 4 times wanting to know why. I told them if they had listened when I called them they would know why. I will let you all know how things turn out.

• New Member 9 posts since
    Dec 4, 2011
    266. Oct 10, 2012 12:56 AM (in response to terirusso)

Under the old VRBO system I had previous paid more to add extra photos to my listing - as I felt the standard allowance of 6 photos was too little.   When my subscription came up for renewal, there was the new allowance of 20 photos are standard; however, I was not given the option of paying the 'classic' rate - even though this had gone up by $50.  To get this, I had to call VRBO and do a 'manual' renewal.  By doing this I saved about $150 - or around 40%.

As the VRBO report mentions, more and more members are doing automatic renewal.  Threrefore many will renew at a rate that is higher than they need to - increasing VRBO's profits.

Under the new system, owners not only have to make their homes as attractive a possible to compete for guests ( which is normal), they are encouraged to compete against each other by paying higher and higher amounts to move up the listings.

Of course, if everyone took out a classic subscription, ratings would have to be done on more meaningful critea like:  keeping the calendar up-to-date; having guest reviews etc.

Owners competing against each other like this is a road to nowhere, apart from paying more and increasing VRBO's profits.

To: traffic <mbarbados@yahoo.com>

Sent: Tuesday, 9 October 2012, 22:42

Subject: VRBO.com - Re: VRBO not what it used to be...too bad!!

Seek Advice. Get Answers. Optimize your Vacation Rental Business.

Re: VRBO not what it used to be...too bad!! created by terirusso in VRBO.com - View the full discussion

This year I have decided to let both my VRBO and HomeAway listings expire. I am on FlipKey on a month to month. We are doing extensive renovations on our home this winter. When we are done, I am going to test VRBO/HomeAway by changing all of my information to see if that puts me higher on the list at a lower rate. I can put my husbands name and set up a new email address just for my listings. I have 2 friends in my area that recently started renting out their homes, paid less for their listings and were higher up on the list. When I questioned VRBO/HomeAway about the rates, they gave me the usual run around. When I let the listings expire, they called me 3 or 4 times wanting to know why. I told them if they had listened when I called them they would know why. I will let you all know how things turn out.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

Start a new discussion in VRBO.com by email or at Community

© 2010 HomeAway.com Inc. 1011 W. Fifth Street, Suite 300, Austin, TX 78703

Please add us to your address book to ensure you continue receiving HomeAway emails.

View our Privacy Statement | Contact Us | Terms & Conditions

Jul 20, 2012
    267. Oct 10, 2012 2:05 AM (in response to frustrated)

I've decided to shift my paradigm and am taking a different approach. Even though I said I wouldn't, I'm renewing but I'm also  buying vrbo/homeaway shares. I figure I might as well partake in the profit sharing that I pay for indirectly AND realize that my vrbo premium is paid for by just a 3-night stay......so....I am currently on flipkey, travelocity, vacationhomerental, craigslist and vrbo, however 90% of my executed leases are  a result of vrbo...It's arithmetic! lol

• crescentbeach4u Community All-Star 865 posts since
    Sep 10, 2011
    268. Oct 10, 2012 5:49 AM (in response to medinahair)

Hi Medinahair,

It sounds like you have a good plan.  You mentioned that you are on Travelocity!  Do you run a hotel or can homeowners list their properties on Travelocity?

Thanks,  Doug

Jul 20, 2012
    269. Oct 10, 2012 10:29 AM (in response to crescentbeach4u)

Oh sorry! I meant Tripadvisor nor Travelocity! I am still on my "free trial" but even though I get a lot of inquiries I have only secured 1 executed lease.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points