Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
3212 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2012 12:47 PM by meredith RSS
sophie Senior Contributor 969 posts since
Mar 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 22, 2012 9:12 AM

Glitch in "My View" Community Activity Feed

For the past couple of days on the community feed, I have been receiving all the French discussions and threads along with the US. I am on the US site (US flag is appropriately shown on the upper right corner). I have signed in on multiple computers and browsers and all the french posts are still there. Anyone else having this problem? It appears that the french and US side have combined into one.

• anja Senior Contributor 1,555 posts since
    Aug 9, 2011
    Jul 23, 2012 3:11 AM (in response to sophie)
    Re: Glitch in "My View" Community Activity Feed

How very curious and odd, sophie!  This is not happening on my end.  Someone more nerdy than I might come with a possible explanation. But, there seems to be a few quirky and inconvenient things  happening with "the system" these days.  You've been on the receiving end of some strange quirks with those bizaar "bookmarked" feeds you've experienced, and now this.

• thaxterlane Active Contributor 779 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    Jul 26, 2012 8:39 AM (in response to sophie)

I am finding French language questions when I log on to the forum.  I have clicked on the US flag in the upper corner and it doesn't seem to have any effect.  At any time, over the last week or so, one half to all of the discussion questions in the forum are in French.  There is a problem.  You're not the only one experiencing it.  I've tried at least one other browser; it doesn't change the content.

As much as I would like to improve my French, this is very frustrating.

• iopbeachhouse Community All-Star 455 posts since
    Aug 10, 2011
    Jul 26, 2012 7:28 PM (in response to sophie)

Same here! I've tried checking my profile and settings and I've got everything set up right, but still receiving the French discussions.

Jul 27, 2011
      Jul 26, 2012 8:11 PM (in response to iopbeachhouse)

My forum has just become free of French discussions.  All are in English. 

I hope it's a permanent fix, whatever the issue might have been (using past tense, I hope the problem stays in the past . . . )

Jul 27, 2011
            Jul 27, 2012 1:10 AM (in response to sophie)

Thank you for posting Meredith's remarks.

I'm surprised that she thinks having forum postings in a foreign language is "annoying";  It's not annoying - it simply doesn't make sense to have forum postings appear in a language that a number of forum members do not understand.  Is this an English language forum or a French language forum; I don't understand how it can be both and be effective.  The flags in the upper right hand corner of the screen suggest there are separate forums for different regions and/or languages.  That makes sense.  Does the French forum have US and UK English language postings?   Does homeaway plan to add Spanish, Italian, and Greek users to the forum?  How will everyone communicate? 

If members are innundated with discusssions in a language in which they can't converse, participation will decrease. 

I had a mixture of English and French discussions appearing  at all hours of the day and night for at least a week.  I thought the French language discussions were being mistakenly posted in the US forum. 

Tonight I have English only.   I dont' know if this is the result of a repair or if it's a coincidence of more active forum members in the US posting at this time.  It seems to be a repair since I had a mix of both languages for some time whenever I logged onto the forum.

Time will tell.  I hope you find your feed clearing up as well. . 

• kristen Active Contributor 53 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010
    Jul 27, 2012 10:23 AM (in response to sophie)

Hi everyone, 

As Community goes global, you will see other languages in Your View no matter what flag you have selected. Please be reassured that your comments and suggestions for Your View have been noted. In the future, if you want to provide product feedback about Community, the fastest way to get it on my radar is via the Feedback link on the lower right side of every page on the Community site. Thank you for helping us enhance the site in ways that you want-  your feedback is truly invaluable.

Thanks, Kristen
    Community Product Manager

• anja Senior Contributor 1,555 posts since
      Aug 9, 2011
      Jul 27, 2012 11:49 AM (in response to kristen)

sophie, thaxterlane, iopbeachhouse:  I have still not ever seen any other language but English, so far (just for the record)...and I hope that I never do --- if I choose the English "flag" for my view...that is my one and only language preference  I want to view.  I am multilingual, but I am English mother tongue and  it's my "Community Forum" choice for my participation, here and now.

MODERATOR:  Kirsten, is your response to everyone seriously suggesting that HA planners believe that mixing up the Community Forum with discussions in different languages, regardless of our preference will create an  "international environment"?  Really!  Honestly, if this is being done with intent, ALL  the planners at HA are drinking way too much koolaid, over there!    What are they thinking?  They seriously need to get out of the office once in a while and "travel" to other countries, IMO, because it appears that HA planners are just not very well informed....with all due respect.  Please assure me that I am the one who is misunderstanding something.

When international organizations hold a meeting or forum, (think United Nations), "simultaneous translation" is provided to all 192 member countries for their representatives to gather in one room to "discuss".  Each "chooses" their language by using a headset provided.  Ditto for the modus operandi of the 27 countries that are members of the EU/European Community when they meet together in Brussels --- and ditto for any other organization and forum that works in an international environment.  I've been involved in international meetings and  discussions around the world for 25 years and never have I seen a situation where participants were provided different languages "mixed up" in the documents, or on the Internet, or in a physical presence forum meeting.  To do that, would create a disorganized setting for meetings, discussions, forums to take  place efficiently and effectively....participants would seriously "walk out" of any international, multi-lingual meeting that is not properly organized for them.

Kirsten and HA:  Why  people...WHY...would you do this with intent?

• meredith HomeAway Employee 384 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010
    Aug 8, 2012 12:47 PM (in response to sophie)

Hi everyone,

Our developer has been working ******* this and released a fix today. Now on Your View, you can choose your country and only see posts in your language.

view.png

Before you try this, please clear your cache.

Keyboard shortcut for a PC is CTL + R and for a Mac Command + Shift + R

Meredith

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)