Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
8924 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2013 7:26 AM by km2937 RSS
iopbeachhouse Community All-Star 455 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 15, 2012 5:26 PM

Pool heating

We are in South Carolina and have decided to add a heater to our pool. We feel we need to have an addendum to our contract for those wishing to add pool heating to their rental period. We have no control over the weather and fear people will be unhappy with the heating if the weather has been too cold to allow the pool to warm up enough for them to swim. Or if the weather is bad and then can't use the pool much but the heater was on the gas used so the cost is still there. Can anyone share wording used in their agreement to cover pool heating?

• swiss-house Contributor 260 posts since
    Jul 6, 2011
    Jul 15, 2012 7:34 PM (in response to iopbeachhouse)
    Re: Pool heating

Do you turn the heater on and off between guests?  I know it can cost a ton (and take a while) to re-heat a pool after it has cooled down, so most of my friends with pools just leave them at a set temperature all season whether they are used or not.  I'd think of it a a flexible but fixed cost, just like keeping the heat on all winter here in the North.

If the problem is  just the warm up period in the spring, I'd just put in a reasonable start date (like June 15th) and do what it takes to start pre-heating to make sure it's up to temp by then.

Or maybe I've missed the point of the question?

• swiss-house Contributor 260 posts since
        Jul 6, 2011
        Jul 15, 2012 7:57 PM (in response to iopbeachhouse)

I would go with a derivative of:

"The pool thermostat will be set 2 days before your arrival for 92 degrees.  Actual water temperature during your stay will be dependent on the air temperature and weather during this time."

• bgwelborn New Member 4 posts since
          Jul 16, 2012
          Jul 16, 2012 3:40 PM (in response to swiss-house)

I am also in South Carolina and we are getting ready to add a heater also.  May I ask why you are going with a gas heater?  It will cost you significantly more; I just got done researching this.  Anyway, if you go with a heat pump, you can set the thermostat and it will only heat when necessary.  That would prevent a service provider from turning it on and off and heating unnecessarily. 

• bgwelborn New Member 4 posts since
              Jul 16, 2012
              Jul 16, 2012 3:50 PM (in response to iopbeachhouse)

I'm in North Myrtle and my pool guy told me the exact same thing; use propane.  So I starting asking around to other pool owners and found out the exact opposite.  I just wondered if your pool guy had told you that also.  Of course your electricity may be more than mine and that would make a difference.

• New Member 1 posts since
    Jul 16, 2012
    Jul 16, 2012 6:17 PM (in response to iopbeachhouse)

Don't forget Solar Heat.  I'm in the pool business and our pool is heated with http://www.heliocol.com/

Made in Israel sold worldwide 100% free once installed.  In the East Valley of Phoenix AZ pool is always pleasant we use a solar cover in the cooler months and thermostat provide total control.  If you have a Heliocol dealer in area check out the costs even if you have a back-up heat pump or gas heater depending where you live.  Solar heat maintains the pool if it is for commercial use you will definitely save heating dollars.

• dianeb New Member 7 posts since
    Jul 20, 2012
    Jul 23, 2012 11:05 AM (in response to iopbeachhouse)

Last summer I installed a new electric heatpump/heater for my Florida pool and charge $15 per day for pool heat during the winter months. I have found that my winter electricity usage was less than during the summer with air conditioning using a lot of power.

Very important to use a pool blanket though, otherwise the heat loss will be very expensive to recover and, with electric heater may take most of the day to get back to target temperature. Gas heaters transfer heat much more quickly than heat pumps but are much less cost efficient.

Someone mentioned setting pool heat at 92, much too high in my opinion. I tell guests target will be 82 - 84 degrees and set thermostat for 84. No compaints  since installing pool blanket.

My friend installed a new gas heater and solar panels last fall. He says his gas bill was negligible over the winter and considers his pool heat charges a significant profit maker.

You asked for some language for pool in rental agreement. This is what I use....

1. 7. POOL HEAT & EQUIPMENT

We are happy to provide the option of pool heating. In order to provide this service as low cost effectively as possible, we ask that you read the following:

Pool heating is provided for an additional fee, and is only permitted for those guests staying for a minimum of 4 days.

The pool will be heated to a target temperature of 82 – 84 Fahrenheit (27-29 C).

The pool heat will be turned on at least 24 hours prior to the check-in time. It may take 24-48 hours for the pool temperature to reach the target level.

If the air temperature falls below 55 F (13 C), the pool heater may shut down, as a safety precaution, which will obviously reduce the temperature of the pool.

The pool heater controls are preset and locked electronically. Do not attempt to interfere with or adjust the settings of the pool heater, pool pump, valves or any related equipment.

Tampering with the pool equipment could change the chemical composition of the water which has been balanced for your safety and enjoyment. It may also cause damage to the surface of the pool lining. Our pool has just been relined and we test the water weekly to comply with the terms of our warranty.

We take every precaution to ensure that all pool equipment is properly maintained & serviced. In the event that there is an equipment failure during the rental period we will make every effort to repair it in a timely manner. A credit for pool heating will be given for the days following the notification of the malfunction, up until the time the malfunction is rectified. 

NO credit will be given if the pool is unable to be heated up to the target temperature due to reasons beyond our control, such as cold weather or failure of the guest to use the pool blanket supplied. (See 8. below).

1. 8. POOL BLANKET

In cold weather the water temperature in the pool can fall dramatically overnight and take a long time to recover to the target temperature. A pool blanket is provided to minimize the heat loss and keep the pool warm enough to use in comfort. It is the responsibility of the guest to employ the pool blanket when the pool is not in use for an extended period and particularly overnight.

Feb 22, 2013
    Feb 22, 2013 10:29 AM (in response to iopbeachhouse)

We own a house on IOP as well and recently added this option for our pool. Did you end up putting an addendum together for this? If so, would you mind sharing with me? Also, if you don't mind sharing, what do you charge renters for this option?

Thank you in advance for any help you're able to provide!

• crescentbeach4u Community All-Star 862 posts since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Feb 22, 2013 8:55 PM (in response to iopbeachhouse)

I have a couple of homes with heat pumps and they are very rarely used due to their electricity comsumption.  I dont think that I could recover the costs if I ever installed one on a rental property but best of luck on your approach.

• jamesdaniel New Member 6 posts since
        Jul 4, 2013
        Aug 2, 2013 12:05 AM (in response to iopbeachhouse)

Hi,

Yes the heat pumps are expensive. I would like to suggest you to add an extra solar heating system to your pool. As it provides you to keep the water at a considerable temperature all the time, and if the temperature dips you have an option to start your heater to raise the temperature. So you save on heater pumps when not running all the time.

Mar 5, 2013
    Mar 5, 2013 10:05 AM (in response to iopbeachhouse)

I provide a solar blanket of good quality for my tenants and warn them that they are are responsible for heating pool [propane].anf that it now costs close to $3. an hour for 1-2 degrees fahrenheit increase. I also give them 10 free gallons for short stays to cover hot water in house.

• swlinphx Senior Contributor 2,191 posts since
      Aug 30, 2011
      Mar 7, 2013 5:22 PM (in response to guy.kaldis)

At the resort we are located the pools are heated in the winter as that is peak season (March being the most requested of all).  If you are renting out a private home and have a hot tub, I would only heat that and leave the pool for summer use, so that either time of year they have something to use.  How much would it cost to heat a hot tub instead of a pool?

Ironically, in Phoenix we need a pool cooler during the summer days.  Anyone ever heard of one?

• Currently Being Moderated
        Mar 7, 2013 8:09 PM (in response to swlinphx)

There is a company that makes heat pump units that can now also be used to cool your pool.  The compan is called AquaCal.  The new model that can be used to cool the pool temp is the SuperQuiet IceBreaker.

Aug 30, 2011
          Mar 7, 2013 8:29 PM (in response to ppv1)

Wow, cool.  Great to know!  LOL, I bet there aren't a lot of people who have that problem though.  Too bad they no longer put deep ends in public pools.  That would definitely help them not get too warm in the summer. I hate that they never go deeper than 5 feet nowadays (and hardly ever have diving boards anymore).

• academianut New Member 18 posts since
    Mar 15, 2013
    Aug 2, 2013 2:01 AM (in response to iopbeachhouse)

The strong norm in our California city, where utilities are very high but temps are not very cold, is to charge guests an optional $40-50/day for pool and spa heating. We use 88F...84F would be too cold for me and as a former guest over 50 years of my life, a common memory for most is the pool just isn't warm enough (I never complained but I never liked it either).

Aug 30, 2011
      Aug 2, 2013 4:36 AM (in response to academianut)

Funnily enough, we have the exact opposite issue with our pools here in the summer.  They actually get too warm in the day and are much more pleasant at night (and in all other seasons but summer).  Personally, if the pool doesn't first feel cold to you the first couple minutes you get in then it is too warm.  Your body adjusts and anything warmer than than is not refreshing.  We have hot tubs for those who like the extreme heat of course.

• mike-dfv Community All-Star 810 posts since
        Mar 5, 2011
        Aug 3, 2013 9:04 AM (in response to swlinphx)

Depending on your solar heat system, you may be able to turn it on at night to send the water to the roof. That would have a cooling effect in the summer. At least it does in Florida, I suppose it could be different at night in Phoenix.

Mike

Aug 30, 2011
          Aug 3, 2013 3:05 PM (in response to mike-dfv)

Hi Mike...

I'm not sure what kind of heating system they use in the winter (solar or whatever).  These are shared pools at the gated resort community where my vacation rentals are located.

One thing I know would help keep the water cooler would be for them to make pools with deep ends (8 ft.) again.  Ours go to a maximum 5 ft. in the middle and are shallow on either end.  Oh for the good ol' days!

• km2937 Contributor 79 posts since
            Jul 4, 2013
            Aug 4, 2013 7:26 AM (in response to swlinphx)

I'm slated to install a heat pump in the next few weeks. The home is in FL and I've advertised a heated pool and have guests booked expecting this amenity. I too am not sure how to handle recouping the cost. The guests who have alreay booked I can't do anything about but moving forward, I'm considering adding an addendum explaining the cost of heating the pool if they want that option. Does anyone have any advice on how they've handled this?

km2937

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points