Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
6735 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2013 7:42 PM by sage RSS
New Member 16 posts since
May 15, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 22, 2012 10:07 AM

How to add Paypal to listing

I am already set up with RM to receive payments but I also want to accept paypal. There is an apparant glitch in RM where cc's are not being accepted because they say they are expired even tho they are not. So I am waiting to get paid (2nd day) . I can't find anywhere how to add paypal as a form of payment. Can someone steer me in the right direction please. 

• sage Community All-Star 966 posts since
    Jul 4, 2012
    Jul 22, 2012 8:14 PM (in response to sierra)
    Re: How to add Paypal to listing

I just send a 'Request Money' through PayPal, and include an appropriate subject line and in the message block I describe the payment such as 'Payment of advance rent to reserve [identify the rental] October 7-17, 2012' 

I also send an email from the account through which I have been communicating to inform them that the request is coming from me.  I do not use RM.

• crescentbeach4u Community All-Star 862 posts since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Jul 23, 2012 6:20 AM (in response to sierra)

Sage is doing about the only thing you can do.  VRBO will not add PayPal as an option so you will have to do it manually.

• old_frog Contributor 133 posts since
    Jul 24, 2011
    Aug 22, 2012 4:26 PM (in response to sierra)

Today, I had a guest wanting pay for a stay by use of Paypal.  I had read on other threads that some had experienced problems with Paypal payments and Paypal policies did not permit rent payments via their system.

So, today, I phoned HA/VRBO Customer service about it, the person informed me that Reservation Manage system was not set up to accept Paypal.  I inquired about what I had heard.  The rep. acknowledged that they had heard similar but did not know Paypal's policies.

So, I then phoned Paypal and specifically inquired about accepting Paypal as a payment method for rent in a vacation rental home. The representive placed me oon hold and said that he needed to inquire of his supervisor.  After about a 4 minute hold, he came back on the line to inform me that rent payments, particulaly fora vacation rental, do not fit their criteria of goods and services and that should the person making the payment later complain, open a dispute, or seek a refund, Paypal would almost always side with the person making the payment.  I repeated back my understanding of what he said (as above).  He acknowledged it as correct.  I did not inquire about the double processing charge as the foregoing was sufficent for me.

Jul 4, 2012
      Aug 22, 2012 5:10 PM (in response to old_frog)

rent payments, particulaly fora vacation rental, do not fit their criteria of goods and services

That is a rather bizarre response.  eBay, which owns PayPal, allows vacation rentals (see http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=vacation+rentals) and the listings l looked at show payment to be made through PayPal. 

PayPal's policy on paying for real estate transactions is at https://www.paypal.com/webapps/helpcenter/article/?currentIssueID=207124&m=SRE and does not mention rentals as being prohibited.

Searching through PayPal's help center, policies, and agreements with users I could find absolutely nothing that would tell a person that a vacation (or other real estate) rental is not permitted.  While a rental would probably not be goods, because it is not tangible, it seems to me it would be within the common definition of services.

• old_frog Contributor 133 posts since
        Jul 24, 2011
        Aug 22, 2012 5:46 PM (in response to sage)

Agreed.  I was hoping that it would fall into the services category.  it would make things and payments easy.  But, my sense is that it is the intangiles (ie. the house was not clean, they did not stay the entire night, etc.) that would be a nightmare on a complaint. 

Paypal customer service no.  402-935-2050.  Based upon what I read elsewhere, I was wry and thought it best to inguire.  I hope others can get definitve witten verification that vacation rentals are premitted serivces.  Perhaps, we as owners, should make a press to have it become a permitted "service".

• victor.nawrocki Contributor 87 posts since
    May 21, 2011
    Oct 10, 2012 6:21 AM (in response to sierra)

RM does not accept PAYPAL because HOMEAWAY does not get a cut as they do with credit cards via their system.   Pretty sad when you are paying a $1000 a year/house to list.

• mauioceanview Contributor 250 posts since
      Jul 22, 2011
      Oct 10, 2012 11:15 AM (in response to victor.nawrocki)

wow, interesting thread. I have been using PayPal for two years now (for four properties) and have had no problems (mind you, I have not had any charge backs, either, knock on wood). Anyone want to kickstart a campaign to get PayPal to include vacation rent payment as a 'permitted service'? I don't have the energy at this point, but would definitely add my list to a petition or whatever needs doing.

• New Member 6 posts since
    Oct 15, 2012
    Oct 15, 2012 1:53 AM (in response to sierra)

Hey.. good thread! thanks for sharing....

• New Member 1 posts since
    Mar 18, 2013
    Mar 22, 2013 5:20 PM (in response to sierra)

Hi there,

I am new to VRBO (3 weeks) but have been using Paypal. Today I called and Paypal 'walked' me through setting up a Pypal Button to use saying "Pay Here" which when clicked links to my paypal acct. The customer service guy knew what I was using it for and had NO OBJECTION!!

Now that I have my code made for my Paypal button......WHERE do I put it on my listing??

Thanks,

March

• carol Senior Contributor 2,146 posts since
      Dec 10, 2010
      Mar 22, 2013 5:39 PM (in response to march)

I don't think that's possible.   You can place a link on an HA/VRBO listing to another site such as your own personal web page, but I don't think you add a widget to your ad.  So create your own web page and add the PayPal widget there, then link to your page from HA. 

But be careful -- don't accept any payments until you've checked out your guests.  

Jul 4, 2012
      Mar 22, 2013 7:42 PM (in response to march)

march - Carol is right.  Back when I was accepting PayPal payments, I would go into my PayPal account and use the 'Request Money' function to send a payment request to the guest.  If you want guests to be able to make payments without your intervention, the only way to do it is to use the Book It function available with Reservation Manager, but you probably would want to study the discussions regarding that before implementing it.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points