Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
6970 Views 34 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2012 4:19 PM by thaxterlane RSS
nebasketnut Contributor 26 posts since
Apr 29, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 13, 2012 6:49 AM

Visits Counter

It was working and loading for me on my Dashboard.  However the last couple of days nothing shows up and everything else loads.  Is there a setting I need to deal with?  TIA!

• larrymeyervi New Member 16 posts since
    Jul 23, 2011
    Jul 13, 2012 7:15 AM (in response to nebasketnut)
    Re: Visits Counter

Same think is happening to me.  Both my VRBO account and HomeAway account.

• crescentbeach4u Community All-Star 865 posts since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Jul 13, 2012 7:19 AM (in response to nebasketnut)

+3

• dogwoodridge Contributor 75 posts since
    Jul 17, 2011
    Jul 13, 2012 8:07 AM (in response to nebasketnut)

Yes, I started a similar thread yesterday.  Mine is blank as well on HomeAway.  I cancelled my VRBO listing in May, so I don't know about that, but VacationRentals.com is working fine.  I don't know what the glitch is and so far we haven't heard anything from HomeAway support.

Stephanie

http://www.theguesthouseatdogwoodridge.com

Jul 23, 2011
      Jul 13, 2012 9:37 AM (in response to dogwoodridge)

I am really wondering what type of villa you have, where and the weekly

rental cost.  I advertised for a year on Vacation Rentals and got nothing,

VRBO was pretty decent and HomeAway was great....but I am wondering if it

is that each of these has a different demographic?  Mine was a luxury home

in the Caribbean  www.homeAway.com/383380 .

Larry Meyer

P.O. Box 24439

United States Virgin Islands

Christiansted, VI    00824

(340) 773-7493 (Bella Sera)

(340) 719-8712 (Bella Villa)

(340) 719-3082 (fax and home office)

(320) 248-1911 (stateside cell phone - works only sporadically if I am on

island)

- - -

• minkcus2002 New Member 5 posts since
    Jul 14, 2012
    Jul 14, 2012 5:58 PM (in response to nebasketnut)

Last time I know my Visitor Counter was working was July 10 but not working Friday nor today, needs to be fixed quickly as I am up for renewal in September!

Also, have had several inquiries in the past week with no response from anyone which is a little strange - just received another so am going to follow it and the others with a personal email outside of HomeAway since reading the posts of other's problems.

Hey HomeAway, we need a response on to what's going on, please!!

• iopbeachhouse Community All-Star 455 posts since
    Aug 10, 2011
    Jul 14, 2012 6:28 PM (in response to nebasketnut)

I advertise on all three. VRBO and Homeaway do not list any visits at all. Vacation Rentals - over 2400 which is correct. Don't know what the problem is.

Jul 14, 2012
    Jul 16, 2012 1:37 PM (in response to nebasketnut)

It is Monday, July 16 and my Visitor Counts are still not showing up on my dashboard - why no answers??

There have been 285 views to this thread so someone else must be having the same issues - please everyone leave a comment so maybe we can get someone from HomeAway to acknowledge the problem!

Thanks

• thaxterlane Active Contributor 785 posts since
      Jul 27, 2011
      Jul 16, 2012 2:41 PM (in response to minkcus2002)

Yes, the visit counters on homeaway and vrbo "went dark" on my listings sometime last week.  I usually record the number of visits to the sites two to three times each week.  

I have submitted a request for support to homeaway and vrbo asking why the logs have been removed.

I have not received a response to either inquiry.

It may be coincidental, and I hope it is, but the logs disappeared shortly after a thread on this forum began discussion of inquiries dropping "like rocks".  Perhaps the visit counters would corroborate fewer visitors?

Is there a oonnection?  It's all conjecture on my part.

I am very concerned about the disappearing logs; I can't formulate a business plan without this information.  I can't be comfortable rrenewing my listings without some evidence of traveler interest in my property.

• New Member 1 posts since
    Jul 16, 2012
    Jul 16, 2012 3:15 PM (in response to nebasketnut)

I have lost the visits counter on my listing as well. I first noticed it was blank on Thursday, July 12th.

Hopefully HomeAway is working on a fix!

Has anyone experienced it missing and then returned? I am wondering if this is anything I can fix on my end, or if it is on HomeAway's end?

• susaninrehoboth Active Contributor 886 posts since
      Sep 3, 2011
      Jul 16, 2012 5:07 PM (in response to jeno)

My visit counter on VRBO is blank also-been close to a week now.

You can check the number of visits but viewing your listing directly from VRBO without logging on, although that . messes up the true visitor count.

If thaxterlane is correct,  hope my posting this work around doesn't cause VRBO to stop the visitor function altogether. Remember, just cause you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

Susan

Jul 27, 2011
        Jul 16, 2012 5:58 PM (in response to susaninrehoboth)

I hope I am being ridiculous in my supposition.  But, if there is a fix or upgrade in progress why weren't we told it was going to happen?  The visit counter is a valuable tool.  It would be missed, as evidenced here, within days. 

i hope it turns out to be a lack of communication about an upgrade to this tool.  (Wishful thinking, perhaps.)

Jul 14, 2012
    Jul 16, 2012 6:12 PM (in response to nebasketnut)

Do not think any of us are being ridiculous and there have been over 100 views of this thread since I posted this morning, many more must be experiencing the same problem yet fail to post - strength in numbers?

• New Member 12 posts since
    Jul 31, 2011
    Jul 16, 2012 10:47 PM (in response to nebasketnut)

My counter is not working either.

• stjvilla Active Contributor 626 posts since
    May 27, 2011
    Jul 17, 2012 6:33 AM (in response to nebasketnut)

Ours is missing too.  Seems to have vanished sometime last week.  What's the reason?

• crescentbeach4u Community All-Star 865 posts since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Jul 17, 2012 7:04 AM (in response to nebasketnut)

I would have hoped that we could have gotten an answer from HA by now.  Maybe soon.

• burroughshomestead New Member 5 posts since
    Mar 24, 2012
    Jul 17, 2012 8:51 AM (in response to nebasketnut)

I am glad I finally looked here and see that I am not the only one with this problem.  I reported the missing visit counter to Homeaway on July 9  and again on July 12.  I got automated replies to both, but since then, nothing.  I thought it might have something to do with my having edited my listing to include my website, which just went live.  Has anyone tried calling them?  I keep thinking about it.

Meanwhile, it makes you wonder what else might not be working.  I respond to inquiries by direct email, so that hasn't been a problem, but I wonder if all inquiries are getting through.

I hope this is resolved quickly!

www.burroughshomestead.com

Jul 17, 2011
      Jul 17, 2012 9:32 AM (in response to burroughshomestead)

I was curious about this as well, so I sent myself an inquiry to be sure that inquiries were going through because I haven't received an inquiry from HomeAway since June 30.  I received the inquiry and replied to myself which also went through.  So the inquiry system seems to be working, but still no visit counter.  Still waiting to hear from HomeAway about this problem....

Stephanie

http://www.theguesthouseatdogwoodridge.com

Jul 23, 2011
    Jul 17, 2012 9:02 AM (in response to nebasketnut)

I think they may be worried that so many people are using the dash board counter  to keep track of how successful HomeAway is vs. Flipkey.  Flipkey, is coming up big time, finally after lagging for their start up.

Last month , the last I was able to measure HomeAway vs. Flipkey/Trip Advisor, Flipkey exceed HowAway for the first time since I started using both.  But I have to say that, for me, the upper income renter that I need comes from HomeAway more often than FlipKey.  Other people say that FlipKey works best for them, i suppose because of their connection with TripAdvisor which is not so dependent on Google Search ranking.

I do think they need to come up with some explanation of why they did this without telling us.

• 2barefeet Contributor 89 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    Jul 17, 2012 9:14 AM (in response to nebasketnut)

My counter has also vanished.  I have 'visited' my listing and it is there for the guest to see.  My guess is it is a glitch somewhere.

• New Member 1 posts since
    Jul 17, 2012
    Jul 17, 2012 9:33 AM (in response to nebasketnut)

My 'Visits Counter' has also been missing from VRBO for about a week.  Hopefully, this will be resolved soon.

• meredith HomeAway Employee 384 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010
    Jul 17, 2012 3:47 PM (in response to nebasketnut)

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the delay in responding. The blank or "vanished" visit counter is a defect that we are currently working to resolve. Thanks for your patience.

All best,

Meredith

Jul 27, 2011
      Jul 17, 2012 4:05 PM (in response to meredith)

Thank you Meredith.

Is it possible to implement a method for communicating these types of issues?

It's likely support has been deluged for assistance, creating additional work for staff, which a notice  to users would prevent..

• meredith HomeAway Employee 384 posts since
        Nov 18, 2010
        Jul 17, 2012 4:48 PM (in response to thaxterlane)

There are different defects affecting different pockets of customers at any time, so mass emailing customers notfying them of defects isn't the answer, and many times we do not know who is being affected until they contact us. We have discussed having a current list of defects displayed when someone contacts customer service, so they will know we are working on them (and aren't the only person affected.) Thanks for your feedback, we are always trying to find ways to communicate better with customers so all suggestions are appreciated.

All best,

Meredith

• anja Senior Contributor 1,560 posts since
          Aug 9, 2011
          Jul 17, 2012 4:59 PM (in response to meredith)

Hi Meredith,

That sounds like a good idea --  to publish a list of current known defects that pops up..or is displayed...when someone tries to reach CS.  I'd like to know that HA is aware  and working  on an issue --- and if it has been "fixed". Every time there's a glitch and a major defect, people congregate on The Community Forum and "wonder" what's happening.

For example, I'm still wondering if the defect was fixed for the "new and/or renewed subscriptions" going "live"....there seemed to be a long delay after people paid for their listings....they were not showing up...and some of them actually stated "expiried", after they were renewed.  Is that fixed, yet? My listing is due to expire at the end of August...and I'm worried that my ad will "disappear"...for days/weeks....when I renew it.

Some people suggested not to renew through the Dashboard....instead do it via phone call....others said it didn't matter --- their listing vanished, anyway.  I haven't seen any recent threads...should I assume that the problem is fixed, and I can safely renew?

Jul 27, 2011
          Jul 17, 2012 5:00 PM (in response to meredith)

A list of known problems posted at customer service would be great -  whether the problems affect a segment of users or all users.  It would allay many users concerns and alleviate the crush of requests for customer support assistance.

I urge you to consider testing this as a communications tool.

Thank you.

Jul 23, 2011
      Jul 17, 2012 4:30 PM (in response to meredith)

It seems a simple email to all the users would have resolved this at the beginning.  It has been out for two weeks or so, so you certainly had time to post something somewhere advising us.

Jul 27, 2011
    Jul 21, 2012 9:57 AM (in response to nebasketnut)

I found the visits counter restored to my homeaway and vrbo listings yesterday.

Thank you Meredith.

Any progress on deciding how such problems will be communicated to users in the future? 

Aug 9, 2011
      Jul 21, 2012 1:47 PM (in response to thaxterlane)

Hi thaxterlane.....*where* exactly are you looking...???....I still  don't see mine!  Has it been moved?

Jul 27, 2011
        Jul 21, 2012 2:00 PM (in response to anja)

Anja,

The visits counter is on the dashboard page on logging into your owner acct, beneath the calendar on the right hand side, approx halfway down the page.

It appears under Listing Summary information:

Listing Summary

• Status Active 
        • Visits 00,0000
        • Listed Since Dec 14, 0000
        • Last Modified Jul 11, 0000
        • Expires On Jan 0, 0000

I hope this helps you find it.

Aug 9, 2011
          Jul 21, 2012 3:32 PM (in response to thaxterlane)

Oh...it's the Listing Summary!   Odd, but  my stats had never disappeared...it's been there! That's why I was a bit confused when I read this thread, again, a few minutes ago..... I thought that  you guys were referring to another feature in a different place (ref. "Visits Counter").  Never mind....(all good on my site) and thank you Thax!

Jul 27, 2011
            Jul 21, 2012 4:19 PM (in response to anja)

Anja,  I don't know if everyone lost their visitor count.  On my homeaway and vrbo listing the listing summary section was present, the line for the visitor count was present.  But, there wasn't any number, it was blank.

Instead of reading

visitors:   1,000,000

Ir read

visitors:  

Nothing, nada, zip.

All other information in the listing summary was as usual. 

I don't know how many days the count was missing because I don't keep a daily log.  But I do check at least once or twice per week especially when I have not had any inquiries for a longer than usual period of time.

It could be that some owners didn't realize it was missing or it could be it only affected some listings.

I don't  know, the problem is fixed but I don't think an explanation for the problem, the extent of the problem, etc was offered.

I do think homeaway/vrbo needs a method fo communicate these types of problems when they occur and provide updates on the status of fixes. 

Jul 17, 2011
      Jul 21, 2012 2:23 PM (in response to thaxterlane)

Mine showed up a couple of days ago on HomeAway.  Seems to be working fine.

Stephanie

www.theguesthouseatdogwoodridge.com

• stjvilla Active Contributor 626 posts since
      May 27, 2011
      Jul 21, 2012 2:27 PM (in response to thaxterlane)

Ours is back too.  Sometime between yesterday morning and this morning.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points