Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
22604 Views 71 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2013 5:25 PM by sealavie RSS
terirusso Contributor 101 posts since
Mar 30, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 16, 2011 8:29 AM

Passing on the name of a nightmare renter?

My neighbor just called me with the name of a nightmare renter. I happen to know that he is telling the truth 100% about this renter, as I was staying at my own house while this renter was at my neighbors. If he hadn't called me regarding these people, I was going to call him.  We have a semi shared yard and every morning I would wake up to the yard being a total pig stye, with beer and liquor bottles all over, paper plates, cups and food left out. One night was very windy and they left everything out and the umbrella open. The umbrella broke and the garbage was blown into my area of the yard. We are all responsible for putting our garbage out at the curb on garbage days, and they never put theirs out for 2 weeks. Apparently, they left the inside of the house in the same shape when they left. My question is, other than word of mouth, is there any way to warn other renters in my area about these people?

• New Member 8 posts since
    Jul 26, 2011
    Aug 16, 2011 10:09 AM (in response to terirusso)

guestchecker.com

• New Member 21 posts since
      Aug 19, 2011
      Oct 3, 2011 1:49 PM (in response to sasanibel)

Guestchecker has some database issues. Also their website has portions that don't load or work. I reported a potential scammer, and because I didn't read their disclosures, they sent my report to the scammers email address as well as cc'd my email address in the same correspondence. Now I'm worried...

• anja Senior Contributor 1,560 posts since
        Aug 9, 2011
        Jan 17, 2012 6:35 PM (in response to wildherbs)
        Re: Passing on the name of a nightmare renter?

I did sign up with GuestChecker..."to check it out"....I did read their disclosures....so I do not use it.  And, now that I've  read your post, I know that I will not use it.   I was aware that they inform the "bad guest" of the source of the "complaint" ...so I decided that I don't need the subsequent aggravation that would create ...epecially after having had the stress of the "bad experience with the bad guest" in the first place.  I have to add:  fortunately, I have only had one "guest" in 6 years that I believe would "qualify" for a "bad guest" register.  Hmmm, wait let me think....probably 2 or 3 "bad guests" that I've had should be on such a list, actually.  I wish there was a legal and responsible way to "warn others" that would not further  "threaten" me.

• New Member 3 posts since
          Jan 31, 2012
          Jan 31, 2012 2:25 PM (in response to anja)

Scam, Joke or lack of common courtesy? I am in agreement with you I wish one could sort of red flag some renters who scam, steal or destroy your property.  Through partly my own stupidity I took a last minute rental he was to send a check - it was very short notice but it should arrive the day before the rental.  Needless to say it did not arrive but in the meantime we had prepared the place.  I left a message on the guest's phone to let them know that we would be waiting for them at the arranged time.  He did not turn up and we waited for about 2 hours.  Despite several phone calls to his voice mail.  He did  not even the courtesy of letting us know that something has happened and that they needed to cancel.  I am curious if he played a game with more than just us. I would like to warn others to be aware of this person in the future. But I have been renting our property for a nearly a year and have had the most wonderful guests and I would be ready to recommend them to anyone in the future.  So one might be well served with a good and bad list...?

• stephanie New Member 17 posts since
            Jul 22, 2011

Alexandra,

I was close once or twice to your situation:

"Through partly my own stupidity I took a last minute rental he was to send a check - it was very short notice but it should arrive the day before the rental.  Needless to say it did not arrive but in the meantime we had prepared the place" etc.

but I always had required the deposit (at the very least!) before I would agree to prep the house for rental.  And ultimately it stopped there - no deposit, no cleaning for the rental, no (apparent) rental.  (And I hadn't turned anyone else away.)  Plus, I take credit cards (via either PayPal or VRBO's offer) and that will/is my fall-back -- they could easily pay fast that way, and if they can't do that, then, I don't want them, no matter.  And I have finally just decided it has to be: first come, first served, and let EVERYONE know that at the beginning.  And it all works out, no more waiting and hoping for the "better" longer rental to finally decide on our place; I will take the shorter ones if they are ready to pay.

• New Member 4 posts since
    Jan 17, 2012
    Jan 17, 2012 5:06 PM (in response to terirusso)

I would really like to see some type of list for VRBO members that we can warn each other about bad renters. I am brand new to this and my second vacation renters caused a lot of damage to my newly remodeled beachfront condo on Maui. I had to have a plumber remove the toilet to remove small toys, have the entire Cal-King bed frame replaced from the kids jumping on it so hard it shattered all the support beams and splintered the frame and the parents put so many coffee grounds inthe disposal it had to be replaced. I googled them, spoke to them on the phone and had a lot of email dialog - I was so shocked when this happened. Fortunately I had their damage deposit which covered most of the damage but not the stress.

Aug 9, 2011
      Jan 17, 2012 6:41 PM (in response to susans)

Susans....your 'guests'  probably saw those HA tv commercials.   You know ....those  "special moments" when the family and groups on vacation get into  authentic, often unplanned,  sometimes  fun, goofy, sentimental, and more antics.....{yadda, yadda}.   P.S. see the other thread on the latest HA commercial.

Jul 22, 2011
      Jan 31, 2012 3:25 PM (in response to susans)

Hi Susans - I just wanted to say what a terrible experience, to your newly-remodeled condo!  and being new to this too - what an unfortunate welcome.  I personally check people in and out, so I don't know to what extent that helps, but I think so.... they know I am watching them... the nerve of those parents!  Yes, I'd want to know their names too, to be on the watch-out for them!

Aloha, Stephanie

• New Member 4 posts since
        Jan 17, 2012
        Jan 31, 2012 8:27 PM (in response to stephanie)

Hi Stephanie –

I live in Seattle so meeting each person is not possible. I usually do have several conversations with them both via email and telephone. I do like the idea of offering a small discount for a VRBO reference.

Susan Sipe

<mailto:TheSipeGroup@comcast.net> TheSipeGroup@comcast.net

Attachments:
      • New Member 19 posts since
        Dec 14, 2011
        Apr 4, 2012 11:47 PM (in response to stephanie)

My associate had several contacts with a guest. We brought them additional things they needed, attended to things they broke (without charging them) and much more. They guest said he was very happy.

After about a week in the house they said they had to return home at the end of the month. They were cancelling with 3 weeks notice for the second month. Our cancellation policy did not allow for a refund but we did refund all but 10%, just to be nice.

Weeks after returning home, these people decided to despute the credit card charge with RM. We lost everything. RM didn't consider our cancellation policy.

Point is, that even with face-to-face contact, agreements etc. We can still get ripped-off by people who intend to commit fraud.

• New Member 2 posts since
      Aug 20, 2012
      Aug 20, 2012 1:05 PM (in response to susans)

I agree that VRBO could easily start a spread sheet database at NO additional cost.  As easy as forums are to start and run on their own it seems simple, If I knew how I would start such a site. I have had a handfull of renters over the past 7 or 8 years that  have cost me some real money. Stealing grates from grills, shelves from a refrigerator (?) and just outright scammers.

Last name, initial of the first name, state of residence and the area code would be enough to give owners a heads up plus give the accused deadbeat a bit on annonomy. That and maybe 1'00 spaces for an explaination, no stories just facts.

• twobitrentals Community All-Star 1,367 posts since
    Aug 5, 2011
    Apr 3, 2012 4:08 PM (in response to terirusso)

I just responded on another site about this...perhaps having a private list "not on here" volunteer. BUT....looking at the responses here. It would be so cool if VRBO/HA could allow us to put in the e-mail of potential guests that would pop up the review on other VRBO/HA properties that they have already rented from. hmmmmmmm, maybe not, because that would probably only give us the good reviews. BUT, even that would help. If you see a good review and a good owner response...that is something.

Hey VRBO/HA is there a way to do something like this? Since the reviews are public anyway, we would NOT be voilating any confidentialty??

What do you all think?

• New Member 23 posts since
    May 1, 2011
    Apr 3, 2012 9:12 PM (in response to terirusso)

Ok, let's do this thing with the renters list.....I would suggest we do not involve this company at all. I think a facebook group where we all are let in by ad administrator. I don't know how to set this up but someone I am sure does from this group. We can then develop a running list of those who we would not rent and keep that list updated somehow

The second option would be someone from the group keeping a spreadsheet of those persons and everyone contact this administrator to put the renter on the list.....a little more of a pain but it will work. we would only release the names to the person of contact on their VRBO site. Let's take this matter into our own hands....thanks steve

• New Member 6 posts since
    Jul 1, 2012
    Jul 1, 2012 12:41 AM (in response to terirusso)

Did this ever happen? I wold love to share bad guest names. I fortunately have only a very few. I don't like the required disclosures on guestchecker.

• sophie Senior Contributor 970 posts since
      Mar 4, 2011
      Jul 1, 2012 1:18 PM (in response to elleb)

Sometime in the near future HA will be rolling out traveler profiles. When a prospective renters contacts us we will be able to see if and when they left any reviews for other properties and what the reviews said. This will help somewhat in that we can see if they have left uncalled for comments or if they seem like problem renters.

May 1, 2011
    Jul 1, 2012 11:14 AM (in response to terirusso)

This problem of bad renters is just going to get worse once people start really gaming the system. It happens so infrequently now, but when it happens, it can be difficult.

I just thing that homeaway and VRBO can provide a DNR radio button on their website with access only to listers. Then the listers can give any information about the client based on the evidence they have for this awful client.

• trish Contributor 151 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    Jul 16, 2012 11:27 PM (in response to terirusso)

I recently had an inquiry that made me turn the potential guest away. We tried to contact them and were treated to their son screaming and yelling at the top of his lungs into the phone when my husband called to talk to the parent about renting the home. SHE had requested we contact her, WE tried, and both times were treated poorly and disrespectfully by her 9 year old son. She admitted this, still wanted to stay at the house and I just told her I didn't think we were a good fit. I also called our neighbors up the mountain and warned them about these people as I know she would be calling them. My view was this: if the child was this disrespectful on the phone with an adult who was trying to be professional and polite, what sort of things would this child do to our home if he were left alone while the parents looked at real estate in the area? (she told us she would be wanting ways to entertain the kids while the parents were out looking at homes for sale). There are some who may say" That's not nice to reject someone because of their kids' manners or lack there of" but I feel that the way a child acts is an indication of what their parents allow them to get away with. I saw a nightmare of practical "jokes" and destruction in the house from this group and wanted my fellow VRBO mountain property owners to know about them.

• susaninrehoboth Active Contributor 891 posts since
      Sep 3, 2011
      Jul 17, 2012 5:06 AM (in response to trish)

2 things make me wonder about the 9 year old and his mother. I hope the mother would told you if her child was autistic or had another medical condition when you mentioned the screaming. Since she didn't, I suppose the kid is just being poorly raised. Also, you said she asked about activities for the kids (plural). Do you know if she meant one child was at least a few years older? A nine year old should not be left alone. Maybe his/her poor behavior is because he's been left alone a lot. I know this is a bit off topic but we shouldn't discriminate based on physical or mental conditions.

Feb 24, 2011
        Jul 17, 2012 8:59 AM (in response to susaninrehoboth)

Thanks for asking. In the Mom's email to me, two weeks AFTER the incident, she stated that the boy knew nothing of the parents looking for real estate in Idaho, and that he thought he was being 'funny' when giving my husband a hard time on the phone. The younger brother is 6. It was strictly a matter of kids being left to their own devices (as they apparently were when we called...the Mom was at work) and acting up. She had the perfect opportunity to tell me if the child had autism or some other handicap, and she admitted, instead, that he was showing off for his brother by acting out.

Just the sort of lack of supervision and guidance that could cause big problems in a rental property; especially in the mountains in December.

• susaninrehoboth Active Contributor 891 posts since
          Sep 3, 2011
          Jul 17, 2012 2:33 PM (in response to trish)

Oh, man, I'm glad I'm not in your shoes. Although most states don't have a law as to youngest age a child can be left alone, most states say age 12. I'd be debating with myself as to whether to report her to child welfare services in her resident state. A 6 year old and 9 year old are too young to be left alone.

Feb 24, 2011
            Jul 17, 2012 3:03 PM (in response to susaninrehoboth)

While I would like to report someone like this, I would also be inviting a LOT of trouble. Who knows what sorts of retaliatory measures they may go to? And it's pretty hard to prove anything when they are in another state, I've never met them, etc. All I know is that she wanted to have ways for kids to entertain themselves while the parents looked at property, and the kids are 6 and 9.......clearly home alone when we called. (trust me, the volume with which this child was screaming was loud enough so that if there were any adults within earshot, they would have heard it. My husband's ears hurt when he hung up! ) And if there WAS an adult there, and they allowed this, that tells me the parents are totally unfit to be renting from me. And just the fact that I emailed her that day and told her what had happend over the phone, and it took her TWO weeks to respond via email made me wonder about the level of respect anyone in this family has for others.

I would never discriminate because someone has a disability. But if they an entire family is seeming disrespectful and rude and non responsive to communication, all bets are off and I don't want to subject some other poor owner to their attitudes.

Aug 9, 2011
            Jul 17, 2012 3:38 PM (in response to susaninrehoboth)

I have a rental term [in the contract] which specifically states that children under legal age are not  permitted to be left alone in my home.

I had to do this after I realized that some parents have no problem leaving their children, alone, in a place they do not know  {let alone their own house}.  I've had a few sets of parents leave the children behind while they go scuba diving, zip lining, and anything else their children do not ..or may not do because of their young age.

I also get inquiries, from time to time, from someone who is planning a move to my location, wants to use my "vacation rental" as a base ...with children in tow...to "house hunt".  I rented to a couple of such small families...and I won't do it again.  In both cases, their agenda was not "vacation"...they had a mission to drive around looking at houses, checking out locations and schools, etc..  BOTH instances, the parents sometimes left either one  or both of their two small children *alone* in my vacation rental....presumably because the children were not easy in the car, driving around all day.  I discovered this, after the fact, for the first family.  The second family (I was wiser then --- I asked) and they said that they wouldn't do that...but THEY DID!

Guess what?  Now, I want no more, "house hunting" done from my vacation rental.  I do not want people using my place for anything other than to enjoy a relaxing and adventureous "vacation"...which is exactly what I set it up, equip and advertise it for.

Feb 24, 2011
              Jul 17, 2012 4:21 PM (in response to anja)

I think I shall do the same....but maybe inquire if they have kids first. I don't care if it's a couple of adults looking at homes......but I won't have kids left at the house while parents are gone for hours. Great thoughts, anja!

• old_frog Contributor 133 posts since
              Jul 24, 2011
              Aug 6, 2012 10:49 AM (in response to anja)

+1 on Anja's post.  That has been by experience with those looking to relocate to the area.  I had not quite understood waht was probably occuring.  But:  I now undeerstand.  Good comments about contract restirctions on the underage children not being left unattended.  What do you use, the jurisdictional state's law as the minimum?

• kastnersbeachhouse Contributor 49 posts since
      Mar 13, 2012
      Jul 17, 2012 2:51 PM (in response to trish)

I had renters a few weeks ago where the parents apparently thought it was OK for the kids to haul buckets of sand from the beach and build sandcastles on my VERY new carpets in my condo.  Although, this seemed to be par for this family....They left every pot and pan and dish dirty in the condo, left weeks worth of garbage, broke blinds....etc.      I just can't fathom having such lack of respect for other peoples home and furnishings.   :-(

• kastnersbeachhouse Contributor 49 posts since
    Mar 13, 2012
    Jul 17, 2012 2:52 PM (in response to terirusso)

You know...in a way  VRBO does publish a list for renters of people to rent off of or not rent off of  by offering the review system.....bad reviews is the same way of saying DNR...Why can't they come up with a system to review renters as well?  I am saying this a bit tongue in cheek, I guess,  but really....whats good for the goose...

Feb 24, 2011

I totally agree. But they'd probably have some sort of angle about libel. It seems more and more that the owners of the homes are the ones made to jump through hoops, pay deposits when we are essentially blackmailed by bad renters, and now, we wait sometimes a week before we're made aware of a review at all, and more days before it shows up  on our site. I'm all for making this a good experience for renters, of course. But lets have a bit of consideration for owners/managers who have a property ruined by those with no respect for property, peacefulness of a neighborhood, possessions of others, etc.

Jul 20, 2012

OMG, what is the matter with those parent?!

I agree that if the guests can review their stay (whether good or bad), we owners should also have some sort of review on the renters.  I've had one bad experience of damage, theift, sherrif got involved as they got drunk which turned into domestic violence, etc. and would love to warn others of these renters!  We need a list of names and the problems they cause.

Aug 5, 2011
        Jul 24, 2012 4:03 PM (in response to seashells)

I still think it would be a neat and useful tool if VRBO could allow us to "upload" the potential guest's email into their website somehow and it pull up all of their reviews from other vacations. At least that would give us an idea of how they acted in other homes. NO, it wouldn't give us the whole picture, but at least we could weed through the ones that only want to complain to 1) get a reduction OR 2) prepare us for the same fate.

This would be a good start.........but I do agree (again) that as owners we should be able to provide each other on a private forum the names of prior guests that have either been overwhelming in their demands, or just plain abusive to our properties, either with damage or extra untold guests, etc.

come on VRBO....... you IT people must have something that you can provide to us that we can use as a tool to protect ourselves from these types of folks.

Aug 6, 2012
    Aug 6, 2012 9:53 AM (in response to terirusso)

We really DO need a listing of undesirable renters.  Please, VRBO, come up with a solution.  I have only had a couple bad ones but the last ones were a true headache - didn't leave when the lease was up (so I kept their security deposit for the extra nights), kept a key so now I have to get the locks changed, took a bedspread outside and left it in the rain and then dumped it on my upholstered couch when they left so I had to get the couch cleaned, took bars of soap and soaped the mirrors and some windows, brought three boats when my dock only fits one so the neighbors are up in arms because they took up the whole beach, broke glass items in the house and left the house in such a mess that the cleaning people charged me extra.....and I thought I was renting to grandparents and their grown kids and grandchildren.  We need a solution to undesirables because these people rent someplace every year and I don't want another property owner to go through what I've been through with them.

Aug 5, 2011
      Aug 6, 2012 10:05 AM (in response to mar)

Would it help to limit the number of guests staying in your home. I have decided to only allow 6 overnight with a possible exception of 2 more. AND no more than 8 guests in the house during the day. I think that cuts down on the people that just want to have a "party" in the home with all their family and friends.

Aug 6, 2012
        Aug 6, 2012 10:46 AM (in response to twobitrentals)

Thanks for the reply.  But we do have the 8 person limit (including kids) because it is just a 3 BR and our neighbors are already against rentals (I don't blame them) and I promised them we'd only rent to families.  This family was just bad bad news;  and I even personally met the grandparents when they came to view the house last year after departing their previous rental and they seemed so nice.  No wonder they rent a different place every year - the owners probably wouldn't have them back, as I certainly won't either. 

Since eBay has a rating system for buyers as well as sellers, I can't understand why VRBO doesn't have one.

Marianne

website www.LiveOnALake.com

phone (847) 362-3822

To: mar <thesunnygirl@sbcglobal.net>

Sent: Monday, August 6, 2012 10:05 AM

Subject: Re: Passing on the name of a nightmare renter? - Re: Passing on the name of a nightmare renter?

Seek Advice. Get Answers. Optimize your Vacation Rental Business.

Re: Passing on the name of a nightmare renter? created by twobitrentals in Screening - View the full discussion

Would it help to limit the number of guests staying in your home. I have decided to only allow 6 overnight with a possible exception of 2 more. AND no more than 8 guests in the house during the day. I think that cuts down on the people that just want to have a "party" in the home with all their family and friends.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

Start a new discussion in Screening by email or at Community

© 2010 HomeAway.com Inc. 1011 W. Fifth Street, Suite 300, Austin, TX 78703

Please add us to your address book to ensure you continue receiving HomeAway emails.

View our Privacy Statement | Contact Us | Terms & Conditions

Aug 5, 2011
          Aug 6, 2012 10:53 AM (in response to mar)

WOW, that is so sad....going from one place to another. Some people just know how to ruin it for everyone. I don't think that realize or care that when this happens to our homes that we have a very large investment in, that we reconsider whether we want to continue to to this venture. Sorry! I hate that for you. I have had a couple of folks that were not so great!

May 9, 2012
    Aug 6, 2012 11:35 AM (in response to terirusso)

Hi all,

We're new to the vacation rental  business and already had a bad experience with one of our renters.  I think having some type of list and/or place to go to review renters would be a great.  Since it seems not likely to do here, we can do a private list on Yahoogroups where membership has to be approved.  I operate some groups like this already there for autism.  Had these groups over 10 years with no problems and would be willing to do it for rentals.  With yahoo groups you can post to the website, have option of immediate, daily, weekly or no emails, there's sections for files and pictures.  You can have requirements that people must meet to join (such as a vacation rental website)  and individual approval of members.

Ground rules as to how to go about keeping a list by name/email/location can be decided by the members.

What do you all think?

May 1, 2011
      Aug 6, 2012 12:01 PM (in response to enchantedvillas)

i like this. lets do it!

Feb 24, 2011
        Aug 6, 2012 12:49 PM (in response to sbadraun)

sounds great to me.....I have two families I would put on the list. I assume you can access yahoogroups even if you don't have a yahoo email address?

Thanks for the ideas and exchange, everyone. These are great boards.......I have learned so much from others on these boards and have instituted some new 'rules' at our rental thanks to the ideas I've read about here!

Trish

Aug 6, 2012
      Aug 6, 2012 12:32 PM (in response to enchantedvillas)

I love the idea.

Marianne

website www.LiveOnALake.com

phone (847) 362-3822

To: mar <thesunnygirl@sbcglobal.net>

Sent: Monday, August 6, 2012 11:35 AM

Subject: Re: Passing on the name of a nightmare renter? - Re: Passing on the name of a nightmare renter?

Seek Advice. Get Answers. Optimize your Vacation Rental Business.

Re: Passing on the name of a nightmare renter? created by enchantedvillas in Screening - View the full discussion

Hi all,

We're new to the vacation rental  business and already had a bad experience with one of our renters.  I think having some type of list and/or place to go to review renters would be a great.  Since it seems not likely to do here, we can do a private list on Yahoogroups where membership has to be approved.  I operate some groups like this already there for autism.  Had these groups over 10 years with no problems and would be willing to do it for rentals.  With yahoo groups you can post to the website, have option of immediate, daily, weekly or no emails, there's sections for files and pictures.  You can have requirements that people must meet to join (such as a vacation rental website)  and individual approval of members.

Ground rules as to how to go about keeping a list by name/email/location can be decided by the members.

What do you all think?

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

Start a new discussion in Screening by email or at Community

© 2010 HomeAway.com Inc. 1011 W. Fifth Street, Suite 300, Austin, TX 78703

Please add us to your address book to ensure you continue receiving HomeAway emails.

View our Privacy Statement | Contact Us | Terms & Conditions

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,362 posts since
        May 25, 2011
        Aug 6, 2012 1:33 PM (in response to mar)

I think you have to be very careful when 'black lisitng" any name. ( though we'd all love to!!)

If someone discovers that you've added them to a "do not rent to" list you could be held for libel. In today's internet world you have to be very careful!

I use guestchecker.com. They DO require that I notify my guests that I participate in

Guestchecker.com. That was easy. i just added a sentence to my contract.

We've all had those nightmare types we'd love to share. But we owners often have different levels of tolerance, so I'd be very careful before I added a name to any list.

I've learned that when someone's been a ****, or worse, I have to take a deep breath. I sit down and type up my thoughts, save them for a few days, re read what I've typed and then move forward with whatever action I'm going to take.

I wish I could get more people to agree to using a referral system. Guest X stayed at a VRBO/HA xyz home. You can contact that owner for a referral. It could be a simple thumbs up, or thumbs down.

Just my thoughts,

Debj

Jul 22, 2011
          Aug 6, 2012 1:41 PM (in response to msdebj)

HI Deb,

Could you include the sentence that you included in your rental agreement about being on guestchecker.com, please?  I would like to read and consider it.

And perhaps the new list that we are considering is a list of "this is my experience with XY".

And I don't know about this idea of a referral system.

Thanks, all,

Stephanie

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,362 posts since
            May 25, 2011
            Aug 6, 2012 1:59 PM (in response to stephanie)

Steph, sure:

Under page 2 of our contract that outlines the Damage Deposit

The damage deposit must be received along with the final payment.

This money is NOT applied towards rent. It is fully refundable within 14 business days after your departure, providing the following provisions are met:

• All tenets of the Rental Agreement are adhered to.
            • No damage is done to the home, its contents and outside areas.
            • Check Out Procedures are followed.
            • No excessive cleaning fees are incurred.
            • No charges are incurred due to contraband, unapproved guests and pets, collection of rents, or extra charges during your stay.
            • All debris and trash are placed in the outside garbage bins.
            • All dishes are washed and put away.
            • Keys (and garage door opener, if applicable) are left where you found them.
            • No linens lost or damaged.
            • No late check out (without prior approval).
            • The Primary Renter(Responsible Party) or any guests are not evicted by the owners or its Representative and there are no problems causing local law enforcement to be called to the Sand Dollar Cottage (i.e. loud parties, etc).

We participate in Guestchecker.com

I agree that I am responsible for breakage, theft, and excessive cleaning charges as a result of our stay and these expenses will be withheld from my damage deposit.

Signature______________________________Date____________(page  2 of 4)

Jul 22, 2011
              Aug 6, 2012 2:04 PM (in response to msdebj)

Thanks so much, Deb!  This is great to read!  I might just change or enlarge my contract too, now that I'm seeing yours!  (I don't think you will mind ... : ))

Stephanie

May 9, 2012
        Aug 6, 2012 11:06 PM (in response to mar)

I think if we keep list private and only post what our experience was with renter, the truth could not be considered libelous?

It wouldn't be a blacklist, simply a list reviewing guests experiences.  Not saying not to rent to people, just what was experienced.

• sealavie New Member 2 posts since
      Apr 21, 2013
      Jul 13, 2013 5:25 PM (in response to enchantedvillas)

I like this idea. Lets do it.

Aug 20, 2012
    Aug 20, 2012 1:25 PM (in response to terirusso)

As I mentioned earlier, a spread sheet in alphabetical order and up dated automatically upon an entry, would be best and I would think simple for a computer geek to put on line.  Maybe just the last name, state of residence and area code of the offender plus a brief 100 space area for the reason of the notification. I do not see libility being a problem since the information listed is far too general except for the rental owners who get to know red flags as time goes on.

If you were to use yahoogroups, someone warning about John Doe from 2 years ago would be hard to find with any speed. Maybe someone could do the spreadsheet thing and attach it to yahoogroups or just start a blog where it could be used.

• New Member 1 posts since
    Aug 25, 2012
    Aug 25, 2012 2:28 PM (in response to terirusso)

I have been working on a very similar project as I too have had one major and a few very small problems.  I'm interested in getting everyone's feedback and input into how this list should look and what information should be included.  In addition, tell me your thoughts on how this should work...searchable database...membership versus open...free...fee based.  How to maintain data integrity to avoid legal issues/concerns.  Owner privacy without fear of reprisal (like with Guestcheck.com) is of interest too, so any thoughts is appreciated.

Please send specific comments to vacationrentalsintel@sugarbearcabintn.com

I am just a VRBO owner wanting to help others and myself avoid problems.

• romula1 New Member 3 posts since
      May 2, 2013
      May 6, 2013 10:54 AM (in response to aa5driver)

Please let me know if you have discovered/created a forum to alert other homeowners of destructive renters? I had horrible damage caused by a renter from Portland, Oregon. His name is Kevin N and he owns a wine distributorship. Kevin N is a member of the 40 under 40 Business Professionals group in Portland, has a personal assistant and the two of them promote Kevin as a successful businessman who is "respectful" of other people's homes, who flies on a private jet and likes to relax, get some sun and wants to enjoy a romantic weekend with his "girlfriend".  They also create additional "credibility" by mentioning Kevin's family home at the Reserve Country Club in Indian Wells but Kevin needs more "privacy" and "alone time" with his girlfriend, so he chooses not to stay with his parents. The reality is, Kevin N is a middle aged party boy who wants to entertain numerous LA hipster friends, who also party hard, spend the night and trash the house.

Thanks for any advise on how to get the word out!  I don't want ANY other homeowners to be guised by this individual!  FYI, Coachella weeks are important to him but will probably try to rent at other times in the desert as well. I'm not the typical vacation home owner, as I had not rented before March of 2013 and only took on 4 weeks of weekly vacation renters this year.  Three were great and the one listed above was horrible.  Even though he looked good on paper and on the internet, Kevin N is a complete scam artist with no regard for other people's property or possessions.

Luxury Home Owner

La Quinta, CA

Message was edited by a Community Manager to adhere to Community Guidelines.

• carol Senior Contributor 2,158 posts since
        Dec 10, 2010
        May 4, 2013 8:15 PM (in response to romula1)

Romula, we are not allowed to use real names here, especially in a negative light.  Edit your post, perhaps to a first name and last initial, and remove the name of his business or the moderators will take it down.

I'm sorry you had a horrible experience -- can you keep a security deposit and then sue him for the rest?

May 2, 2013
          May 8, 2013 11:37 AM (in response to carol)

Thank you for at least posting this without his last name... I really hope he doesn't scam another trusting homeowner but my friend at Desert Concierge says he inquired with her for next year.  Someone on VRBO will no doubt be approached for 2014.  It's too bad you cannot keep names on record for homeowners!!??  I'm still getting estimates on the damages and will make a claim in small claims court.  It's not so much about the money as it is about him violating my "sanctuary".  I pray no one else is affected by this guy.  Warmest regards,  Pamela

• carol Senior Contributor 2,158 posts since
            Dec 10, 2010
            May 8, 2013 11:41 AM (in response to romula1)

I'd let any of my friends who are also VR owners know about him.   I've been the recipient of information like this, warning me about bad renters, and have been very grateful that the other owners shared. 

May 2, 2013
              May 8, 2013 12:09 PM (in response to carol)

Thank you Carol!  I did not edit the original email to remove the last name and company...but it appears as though someone else did??  Hope it stays up, even "as is" and helps someone... I don't have VRBO friends but I may notify a few property management companies here in the desert.  I'm sure this bad renter will be back for Coachella Fest in 2014.   Thanks for your help!

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points