Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
741 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 18, 2012 4:41 PM by swiss-house RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Jul 16, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 17, 2012 12:38 AM

No Inquiries Outside Peak Season ?

hi ! new here, new to renting. I just got started on VRBO advertising my new Palm Desert CA property. I was/am Hoping to rent it for maybe 4 months during the upcoming "winter" ... October to March/April. within 24 hours of listing, a Feb / Mar inquiry came in (and has solidified !!); within a few days, 5 more, all for Feb / March. nothing else. so I am asking; is there a secret to off-peak rentals (my prices are lower then of course and align with others in the area); does VRBO not reach renters looking for such timeframes ie. Europeans, whoever ? did I miss the "booking season" for November / December etc ? any suggestions appreciated. Thanks !

• swiss-house Contributor 260 posts since
    Jul 6, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2012 4:41 PM (in response to johnabe)
    Re: No Inquiries Outside Peak Season ?

Most of it depends on whether you are "drive in" or "fly in" destination.  We are a drive-in destination, so take these figures with a grain of salt:

Our shoulder seasons (Spring and Fall) always book late - often just 2-3 weeks in advance. 

Summer (mid-June to Labor Day) books about 1-2 months in advance.

Our Christmas/New years usually book 3-4 months in advance, and ski-weeks, especially 3-day weekends are usually booked 5-6 months in advance.

I would imagine Fly-In locations book much farther in advance, so if you are just starting and the next 2 months are empty, it may be too late to get them filled.  But don't let it scare you off - they will likely fill next year when people have had more time to plan their vacations to use those weeks.

ADD-ON NOTE:

I should add that even through the high seasons we don't get 100% booked until very late in the game - especially in the winter.  Last year's mild winter kept people guessing and hoping that the weather would turn colder as they waited longer and longer.  When it was all said and done, we ended up renting every week, but for a few of them it was only 2 weeks in advance.  I suspect that unless we get some good, cold weather this November and it sticks around solidly through January, it will be a slow-to-fill winter again.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points