Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
3271 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2012 3:05 AM by mauioceanview RSS
New Member 4 posts since
Jul 16, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 16, 2012 6:57 PM

our first time renting and they are asking for cash

this is my first time using a VRBO and i have read to not take cash so what do i do when the person i'm talking with wants an initial depost wired to them for one night and then a full payment wired to them a week before we get there? or cash on the day we get there?

also, the reviews for http://www.vrbo.com/318414 are perfect 5/5 so with all of this, it makes me feel like something is fishy. any advise on how to approach this would be greatly appreciated.

• lrbaldwin Active Contributor 757 posts since
    Feb 16, 2011
    Jul 18, 2012 8:37 AM (in response to rgraner)
    Re: our first time renting and they are asking for cash

Call them on the phone.  Their number is on the listing.  Never wire money unless you're absolutely certain you're dealing with the actual owner.

Linda

• sophie Senior Contributor 970 posts since
      Mar 4, 2011
      Jul 19, 2012 12:17 PM (in response to lrbaldwin)

It is very common in European countries to request a wire transfer or cash on arrival.  Nothing stood out on the property to page to me but if you are not comfortable with the situation, then don't do it. You should call them to get a  better feel. Also, ask if they take paypal. Mnay Euro owners do.

• sophie Senior Contributor 970 posts since
        Mar 4, 2011
        Jul 18, 2012 9:04 AM (in response to sophie)

I have a few more thoughts for you regarding renting in Europe. I would always advise that if you have never traveled to that country or speak the language, it might be best if you stay in a hotel for your first time to get a feel for everything. It can be quite intimidating to rent an apartment in a foreign country. I am a seasoned owner and a world traveler and I still get nervous about it! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE living like a local in a foreign country, just make sure you feel comfortable with it from beginning to end.

• wiffle Contributor 217 posts since
    Feb 23, 2011
    Jul 19, 2012 11:59 AM (in response to rgraner)

What you read (do not take cash, do not wire) is not always good advice. It is up to the owner what payment they will accept. If you feel uncomfortable, find a place that does make you feel comfortable.

I have not wired money, but I have prepaid by check (to U.S. owner) for foreign properties, I have paid cash upon arrival at foreign properties, and already have my foreign cash for my next rental in a few weeks. I wouldn't have minded wiring money to any of the people I have rented from.

The listing you have referenced has been on VRBO since 2010. I would bet that they are legit. I would call them at the number provided and speak with them. I see no problem with taking cash with you.

It looks like a lovely apartment. I hope it works out for you and that you have a lovely trip.

• New Member 5 posts since
    Jul 28, 2012

I don't think that he asked for cash, you may confirmed again from them. I think nothing stood out on the property to page to me but if you are not comfortable with the situation, then don't do it.

http://www.wingshinterlandretreat.com/

• New Member 14 posts since
    Jun 22, 2012
    Aug 14, 2012 11:19 AM (in response to rgraner)

I think this can go both ways. Obviously it's not smart to wire money/prepay for something through Craigslist or anything that you feel uncomfortable with. I've taken a big liking online payment systems that use Paypal and hold cash until both parties are satisfied. Specifically the system Rentini uses where they hold it until 24 hrs after guests check in to ensure both parties are satisfied. Heres more in their recent PR: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/rentini-helps-homeowners-travelers-avoid-161600478.html

• New Member 1 posts since
    Aug 16, 2012
    Aug 16, 2012 4:04 PM (in response to rgraner)

I am also dealing with an owner in Europe, and I want to warn you about something, and maybe get some feedback from others to see if this is common.

The owner invited me to use PayPal or wire transfer, or send a personal check. He warned me that PayPal charges a 4% international fee, and that my bank may also charge a fee. If I had sent a check I would have saved a little money. I opted for PayPal because of all the online warnings--just to be safe.

What I have just discovered is that Paypal removes the fee out of the total; so although I sent him a 250Euro deposit, only 240 has been delivered to him. (4% of 250Euro =10 Euro, 250-10=240). Although in some cases with online vendors, the seller absorbs the fee, in this case it looks like I will be doing that.

I will be very interested to see how your experience works out. My owner has so many good reviews, too--I hope it pans out.

• mauioceanview Contributor 251 posts since
      Jul 22, 2011
      Aug 17, 2012 3:05 AM (in response to ginibee)

as an owner I have accepted wire transfers twice now from Europe (guests who wanted to pay by wire transfer). Yes, there is a charge on the renter's end, and also on the owner's end, so both parties share the cost. PayPal charges a credit card transaction charge, if you are using a US card paying a US owner, the owner is charged the US charge (on a $250 deposit I receive $242.45). As a US owner, I am charged 4% for all international transactions (including Canada, there I get $239.95 on a $250 deposit). Yes, there are cheaper merchant account options out there. When I signed up with PayPal 2 years ago (as an owner), one of the terms I had to agree to was that I would not charge an extra fee to guests who wanted to pay by PayPal.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points